Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']How did they give it an 8 for graphics? Its basically the best looking 2D sprite game ever.[/QUOTE]
Obviously because of the slowdown. That is a graphical issue.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Obviously because of the slowdown. That is a graphical issue.[/QUOTE]

Good point. That makes sense. Plus, I'd still say it doesn't look as good as like Crysis or even the better Unreal Engine 3 games...maybe. Can't wait for a next gen 2D title! :D I can't imagine how awesome something could look on the PS3 with 100's of MB of art thrown on the screen. (Of course it's not all about graphics-I really just want more high-quality 2D platformers, Metroid style games, and whatever else!)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Good point. That makes sense. Plus, I'd still say it doesn't look as good as like Crysis or even the better Unreal Engine 3 games...maybe. Can't wait for a next gen 2D title! :D I can't imagine how awesome something could look on the PS3 with 100's of MB of art thrown on the screen. (Of course it's not all about graphics-I really just want more high-quality 2D platformers, Metroid style games, and whatever else!)[/quote]

I guess you're being sarcastic, but I WOULD like to see a next-gen 2D title.

[quote name='dallow']I guess you're being sarcastic, but I WOULD like to see a next-gen 2D title.[/QUOTE]

I'm not being sarcastic at all. I'd love to see the full power of the PS3 or a PC or whatever thrown at a 2D title, and I really wish there were a lot more. I have nothing against 3D, but there's tons of great 2D gameplay that doesn't work in 3D, and the art is great too. (The GBA and DS have been pretty good for that, but they're not really up to what the 13 year old PS1 or Saturn could do.)

I just put about 45 minutes into the game and beat the first area. I'm loving it so far, it's very very old school, just with more complex character and item systems.

Load times: I don't know what the reviewers had, but the load times aren't long at all. Each stage area can take :30 - 3:00 to beat, but the load time is only about 2-3 seconds per. A boss battle can take a bit longer to load (up to 15 sec), but the fight is longer. It's really a non-issue.

Slowdown: Only happened on the boss fight, when he did the screen filling attack. Noticable, but not game breaking.

I wouldn't let the reviews stop you from playing it, it's an awesome game.

most of the reviews mention loading times, which makes me think that their "reviewable" builds didn't have optimized loading times like the final release.

I just beat the first boss, and yeah there was some significant slow down... mainly if I used my cyclone attack while he was doing a debris (or whatever it is) attack

Up through the end of the second stage now, after fighting Velvet, and haven't really seen any bad load times at all. Only a few seconds each time, frequent, but none of them are unbearable.

Yah, ive been playing it for the past two hours and I have to say I am enjoying the hell out of it. The slowdown and load times are hardly a problem as people make it out to be, only when i get a screen full of enemies is there some problem but nothing for me to make a major gripe about.

Only problem I have personally is basically when in the heat of battle, i hardly notice my health bar and out of no where I'm dead. Maybe it's me being drawn in too much by the graphics or something, I dont know but im still enjoying it. Also the Pow meter is a bit of a pain in the ass to get used to too.

Bringing back so many Princess Crown memories... even the intro is similar, where you pick up something to start the story.

Except in PC it was 3 books, and you take your book to grandma in the rocking chair so she can read you the story of the Princess Crown.

I may pick this up sooner than I was going to now.

[quote name='Moxio']Aw damn. That Buy.com deal is screaming my name.

$28.99 no tax no shipping?

*bangs head*[/quote] Buy it, just buy it! Your money will be spent on possibly a more mediocre game in the end. Plus it's challenging and it's so damn pretty...so damn pretty....

And dammit Velvet is kicking my ass...

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']I just got it a few minutes ago, I'll be back to post my impressions-- along with PS3 performance/LCD display information for those who are interested.[/QUOTE]

I've put a good two hours into the game thus far (And I'd be putting a lot more in if my friend wasn't watching the season finale of American Idol). So far, I'm really enjoying it. I'm running it on a PS3 with HDMI connection over a value 37" LCD TV.

The PS3 is upscaling it to 480p and pushing it widescreen, and it still looks really good and crisp-- I have a feeling its because the sprites themselves are so large, so they don't get pixelated at all. I know many of the reviews have hit the load time and slow down issue, but to be honest, I have no idea what they're smoking---- or if the PS3 playability is that drastic a difference. I get loading screens, sure, but they're there for about a second or two at the maximum-- none of this 10 second to load a 20 second area BS. With the slowdown, it has happened, but not to the game crushing alluded to in some reviews.

Bear it in mind of course, that I'm playing on a Ps3, and that I'm not too far into the game yet. Regardless, loading is a non-issue for me.

The gameplay in and of itself is great, the growing/eating/alchemy stuff is really quite addictive, the fact that you basically level up your character through it sounds tedious until you realize you're burning through foodstuffs at an incredible rate thus making it a necessity to get good at-- although I can see inventory management being an issue, you only get two rather small bags (This could possibly change later on..I'm not sure), and by the start of the second chapter you've already maxed it out if you're being careful about what you use.

The equipment is relegated to relics and such, no different weapons so far as I can tell-- but even early on you've got a glut of options: Trinkets that increase your defense, offense, speed, experience point gain, food growing abilities. The only problem is that you can only equip one of these trinkets at a time, thus consuming more precious bag space.

The combat is a beat 'em up, and its pretty plain-- covered in a flashy assortment of effects. You also have magic spells that play both offensive and defensive roles. The combat is relatively straight forward until you start fighting the bosses-- which if you try to approach the same way (by basically locking a character in hitstun) you'll get demolished. Here is where it shines, you have to use all the tools at your disposal, from Napalm bombs to Poisons-- to planting a seed in hopes that some of the Phazons knocked out of the lower beasties get you enough to grow food that you'll need to survive the encounter.

All of this looks beautiful, although it can slowdown, but when it does you get a chance to see more of what is being animated on screen. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but its a neat effect, and thus far it hasn't been as ubiquitous as the movie 300 :).

So, is it worth the buy? For 30 dollars after GCO on buy, you bet. I got it at MSRP and I'm glad with the purchase. Read what others have said, watch some gameplay, and see if its up your alley. I'm digging it though :).

I just put about an hour and a half into it, and it's far better than I thought it would be. The screenshots and videos online do not do it justice, it looks even more amazing when you see the actual game.

Also I have to agree with everyone else when they say I don't see what the reviews are talking about with load times. Either they're exaggerating (as usual), or their review copies were just broken.

Glad I don't have work until Saturday. I'm digging into this bad boy.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I just put about an hour and a half into it, and it's far better than I thought it would be. The screenshots and videos online do not do it justice, it looks even more amazing when you see the actual game.

Also I have to agree with everyone else when they say I don't see what the reviews are talking about with load times. Either they're exaggerating (as usual), or their review copies were just broken.

Glad I don't have work until Saturday. I'm digging into this bad boy.[/quote]
yeah, load times were greatly improved from their review builds, apparently.

I'm loving it.. though the difficulty is busting my balls a bit to be sure.

I'm asking for it, though.. playing on 2 star instead of 1

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']I've put a good two hours into the game thus far (And I'd be putting a lot more in if my friend wasn't watching the season finale of American Idol). So far, I'm really enjoying it. I'm running it on a PS3 with HDMI connection over a value 37" LCD TV.

The PS3 is upscaling it to 480p and pushing it widescreen, and it still looks really good and crisp-- I have a feeling its because the sprites themselves are so large, so they don't get pixelated at all. I know many of the reviews have hit the load time and slow down issue, but to be honest, I have no idea what they're smoking---- or if the PS3 playability is that drastic a difference. I get loading screens, sure, but they're there for about a second or two at the maximum-- none of this 10 second to load a 20 second area BS. With the slowdown, it has happened, but not to the game crushing alluded to in some reviews.

Bear it in mind of course, that I'm playing on a Ps3, and that I'm not too far into the game yet. Regardless, loading is a non-issue for me.

The gameplay in and of itself is great, the growing/eating/alchemy stuff is really quite addictive, the fact that you basically level up your character through it sounds tedious until you realize you're burning through foodstuffs at an incredible rate thus making it a necessity to get good at-- although I can see inventory management being an issue, you only get two rather small bags (This could possibly change later on..I'm not sure), and by the start of the second chapter you've already maxed it out if you're being careful about what you use.

The equipment is relegated to relics and such, no different weapons so far as I can tell-- but even early on you've got a glut of options: Trinkets that increase your defense, offense, speed, experience point gain, food growing abilities. The only problem is that you can only equip one of these trinkets at a time, thus consuming more precious bag space.

The combat is a beat 'em up, and its pretty plain-- covered in a flashy assortment of effects. You also have magic spells that play both offensive and defensive roles. The combat is relatively straight forward until you start fighting the bosses-- which if you try to approach the same way (by basically locking a character in hitstun) you'll get demolished. Here is where it shines, you have to use all the tools at your disposal, from Napalm bombs to Poisons-- to planting a seed in hopes that some of the Phazons knocked out of the lower beasties get you enough to grow food that you'll need to survive the encounter.

All of this looks beautiful, although it can slowdown, but when it does you get a chance to see more of what is being animated on screen. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but its a neat effect, and thus far it hasn't been as ubiquitous as the movie 300 :).

So, is it worth the buy? For 30 dollars after GCO on buy, you bet. I got it at MSRP and I'm glad with the purchase. Read what others have said, watch some gameplay, and see if its up your alley. I'm digging it though :).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the great review, I'll definitely pick mine up tomorrow.

For those with a PS3-- the 1.8 update does a wonder for the jagged edges in this game, and for the first time ever a ps2 game fills my entire widescreen :). Keep enjoying the game guys, I'm going to pack it in for the night-- took me 6 tries to beat Chapter 3s Boss. This Normal difficulty is body rocking me.

Found a crash bug. I killed the Ch3 boss at the exact same time that I got killed. Game didn't have any idea wtf to do, and tried to load the next area, but totally crapped out and crashed.

:( Lost the entire Ch3 data. Least it was only my second attempt at Ch3's boss, that guy was freaking hard.

Got the call from Gamecrazy that this was in, but I haven't picked it up yet. A difficult brawler is not up my alley... But still, I'm tempted... I probably wouldn't play it any time soon even if I pick it up (still need to finish Rogue Galaxy for one).

For the people saying it is difficult, is it because you need to go crazy with the button mashing (or using combos or whatever - basically real-time issues), or is it more of a strategy thing? I hate the former, but can deal with the latter. I see you can use items during battle - does it pause while you bring them up (like Rogue Galaxy). I hate it when I have to use multiple items in real time with no pause in menus (like Kingdom Hearts - not that that was too difficult or anything, but I could see a game harder than it being frustrating).

Using items is paused, so it's not too hard to do. You do have a slight delay while you eat the food tho, it's more of a mechanic than anything else. The difficulty isn't so much button mashing as knowing what to do in a given situation. The Ch.2 boss was real hard for me until I started doing hit-and-run shots on her, then it wasn't so bad. Trying to get the 6-7 hit combo strings on her was just causing too much damage back at me when she got her combos in retaliation. ;)

As everyone else has said -- great, great game. Definitely the most beautiful game I've ever played, topping Okami.

I'm running it in on a PS3 also... has anyone had trouble with corrupted data? Twice I've gotten that error now, once when I tried to load (and then it apparently un-corrupted and was fine) and then once when I went to save. It couldn't access the old file so I just had to make a new one.

I'm only 4 or 5 hours in, so am thinking of starting over with my PS2.

[quote name='Rage Goblin']As everyone else has said -- great, great game. Definitely the most beautiful game I've ever played, topping Okami.

I'm running it in on a PS3 also... has anyone had trouble with corrupted data? Twice I've gotten that error now, once when I tried to load (and then it apparently un-corrupted and was fine) and then once when I went to save. It couldn't access the old file so I just had to make a new one.

I'm only 4 or 5 hours in, so am thinking of starting over with my PS2.[/QUOTE]

I haven't gotten any errors when accessing. Something tells me it would be wise to create a new memory card in the XMB, pop it in Slot 2, and save over there. See if that helps you at all.

The game so far is definitely worth getting. I'm 2 hrs and 30 mins in, 3rd Chapter. As some of yall have said, the slowdown/loading issue is BS. You won't have a problem there. There is slowdown sometimes, but considering the hectic stuff going on, it's reasonable, and was certainly not game killing.

Just be prepared for a tough game on normal, but at least you do feel stronger when lvling. You can replay whole Stages, and when you do, you really notice a change in how easier it gets.

Alright, being able to pause and use items means I'll pick this up. Thanks, halfbent. I just need to find the motivation to drive up to Gamecrazy and get my copy :lol:.

Does anyone know how long this game is supposed to be? GS says "lengthy", but that could be anywhere from 20 hours to 100 hours.

[quote name='Moxio']Does anyone know how long this game is supposed to be? GS says "lengthy", but that could be anywhere from 20 hours to 100 hours.[/QUOTE]

about 40 hours, but I'm not sure if that's including bonus areas, if there even are any.

[quote name='Logain8955']about 40 hours, but I'm not sure if that's including bonus areas, if there even are any.[/QUOTE]

Aw.

Just beat Gwendolyn's story. Wow. Excellent story telling, great acting and writing, and a love story that actually made sense and made me care.
And yay! A kind of happy ending where they actually get to live happily ever after! Rare in an RPG, it seems.

[quote name='Moxio']Aw.[/quote]

Why the "Aw" for 40 hours!?

Am I the only one here that gets bored of games that are over 20 hours?

[quote name='yukine']Why the "Aw" for 40 hours!?

Am I the only one here that gets bored of games that are over 20 hours?[/quote]

Nope, in fact I'm hoping Odin Sphere is less then 40. I mean, it's great and all, but I don't think I can stand 40+ hours of it. Lately I've been likeing my games to be, at the most, 30ish hours long.

I myself have just got to where you can finally go to the cafe and have meals, looking forward to that.

Am I the only one here that gets bored of games that are over 20 hours?[/QUOTE]
Depends on the game. At this point Odin Sphere could go on for 60 and I would be quite happy. 40 hours is not that long for me. I could knock that out in a weekend.

Personally I like my RPGs to be as long as possible while still being interesting. I don't want it to drag, but if you can continue to tell a good story for 60+ hours I'm all for it!

[quote name='aaandrewww']Anyone having slowdown problems on a PS2? I know some people using Ps3s are running smoothly, but how about Ps2[/QUOTE]
Definitely noticed it during the first boss battle.

[quote name='aaandrewww']Anyone having slowdown problems on a PS2? I know some people using Ps3s are running smoothly, but how about Ps2[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but it's not usually too bad.

The last boss on Gwendolyn is horribly slowdown plagued though.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']40 hours is not that long for me. I could knock that out in a weekend.
[/QUOTE]

I admire that. It's completely fucking ridiculous, but impressive. One weekend last summer I decided I was going to go on an absurd binge-gaming session, so I stocked up on Mountain Dew and Cheetos (to buy into the stereotype), and fired up the PS2. Three hours and 48-ounces of caffeinated sugar later, I was sick to my stomach and had to go to bed. :lol:

Anyway, my order through Fry's is still backordered, so I'll probably try and track this down this afternoon somewhere. I think I'm at a good hype level now--GameSpot's review scared me quite a bit, but the positive buzz on here has balanced it out enough for me to pick it up.

My local Fry's sold out of 25 copies of this in 2days...good news for niche titles/imports (but bad news for people like me still looking to buy it!).

Man, I just started playing as Cornelius, the little rabbit dude.

Muthafucker is INSANE. His special jump attack is this spin attack, and you can keep bashing square to bounce off the enemy and continue the spin. He's like a jackrabbit on crack. You can bounce off of bosses back and forth and keep dodging their attacks.

He's a lot more awesome than Gwen already, and I'm only on stage 2.

Am I the only one here that gets bored of games that are over 20 hours?[/QUOTE]

I like my RPG's so be 40+ hours. However, if the story gets dull at that point than I won't mind a shorter game.

I just want a game to be good, and fun. I've play WAAAAAAAAAY too many RPGs that are several times longer than they should be. Maybe there's content for 10-20 hours, and it gets stretched to 5 times that.

[quote name='Logain8955']Man, I just started playing as Cornelius, the little rabbit dude.[/quote]

Interesting, my pet rabbit is named Cornelius.

bread's done
Back