Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

[quote name='Moxio']15 tries? The game is really that hard?

Excellent.[/QUOTE]
I suck at action games, and I was being a tad cocky. I could have been a lot more cautious, but that was too boring for me. ;)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I suck at action games, and I was being a tad cocky. I could have been a lot more cautious, but that was too boring for me. ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, being over cautious in these kinds of games kind of defeats the point.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah I just finished Chapter 4 and that really grinded my gears. What grinded my gears even more was taking like 15 tries to beat the Chapter 4 level boss. Just beat him, thankfully.[/quote]
I probably got about halfway to that total before giving up for now. I don't like getting bum rushed out of nowhere while fighting the minions off that are trying to swarm around me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']This is in chapter 4
the chapter after you beat the guy that wanted to kill your sister because he's an asshole
, so there's no map or areas to explore. You see a few cutscenes and you're thrown into a boss battle.[/QUOTE]
you mean the fight in the first stage? You can just exit by choosing home.

I had a lot of troubles with chapter 4 boss, then i use pain killer and beat him easily. First use any napalm and toxic you have. Run away when he grunt as he will use his punch attack, which is kinda strong. His fireball is weaker, and it wont hit you if you are right in front of him. Attack him after he jumped down, and overall I just use a lot of hit and run. After cutting his life by half run away from his ball attack as that will kill you in one hit. You can also use your glide attack over and over but thats too slow for me.

Then the chapter 5 boss is a joke, I think i beat it using like 1 item

I dont think I quite understand this chicken and egg thing. I have an egg but when I use it I just drop it on the ground, and it doesnt hatch and I think I'm giving it an adequate amount of time. I did this while sitting right outside the cafe.

I think you have to put a seed down (not plant it). Useful when there are seeds at the end of a stage and I dont have any space.

I've only bothered hatching a chicken once and the only other thing I had on the ground was a planted seed and he hatched. It only took around 5-10 seconds for him to hatch. Then I watched him walk by the planted seed and then dropped 3 seeds onto the ground until he grew.

Maybe it can only hatch on the battlefield? Or maybe it's like 62t said and can only be done when there's a seed (or plant) on the ground.

Just put the egg down and let it hatch. Takes only a few seconds. Feed the chick 3 seeds and it'll grown into a chicken. Then for every seed you feed it, it will lay another egg. Or you can kill it and get the meat.

Also, the game isn't that hard jeez. All I can say is learn to play. 15 tries on the level 4 boss? Are you joking? I just finished Gwendolyn's chapter, and the hardest boss so far was
the queen of the underworld. And it wasn't even her that was tough, just those damn things she kept summoning. It was annoying.
I died like 4 times on that one, the most for me so far. Once you figure out the mechanics the game is average difficulty. Plus once you open up the pooka kitchen forget it. You can get massive HP bonuses.

[quote name='Moxio']15 tries? The game is really that hard?

Excellent.[/QUOTE]

it's weird. it doesn't look like it should be hard at all, but the controls make it difficult because they aren't very responsive. lotta fun though. We need more games like this

Just finish the game, it not too hard if you know what your doing. It probably best to strength up your characters to prepare yourself for Armageddon, otherwise you will die many times. I beat the under 37 hours, it can be even lower if know what your doing.

Extra/ Endings.
Bad ending- don't follow the prophecy

good ending- follow the prophecy in the Armageddon book. go in the follow order
1.cornelius 2. osward 3. Mercedes 4. velvet 5. gwendowlyn

view extra screens after ending- fill all the Armageddon path.

In my opinion, the best food items in restaurant or cafe.

egg on toast(restaurant)-one of best usable item with 1000 hp heal. Very cheap and easy to obtain. All items can be purchased by merchants
ingredients- hot cross bun, ariel coin, egg

napple sorbet(cafe)- Great life increase with xp with very easy to obtain items.
ingredients- napple, ariel coin, milk

steam salmon(restaurant)- Massive xp with some easy obtain items
ingredients- fish, valentine gold, napple, mulberry, onionne

chocolate fondant(i think this is cafe)- Best food combination. Very cheap and easy to obtain. All items can be purchased by merchants. Good xp and life boost, very good when do photon farming.

Damn this game is soooooooooooooooooooooooo good! Here I was thinking God of War II was the PS2's last hurrah and this game comes out of nowhere. Just got it yesterday for a bunch of crappy games I traded in at GC!

I got a small question about the aspect ratio of this game. I read the instruction manual, but I didn't see any mention of a widescreen option. However, when I use my PS3 and use the full upscaling function, the game looks beautiful and doesn't look stretched out to me. Anyone know if this game is supposed to be WS or 4:3? Thanks!

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I dont think I quite understand this chicken and egg thing. I have an egg but when I use it I just drop it on the ground, and it doesnt hatch and I think I'm giving it an adequate amount of time. I did this while sitting right outside the cafe.[/quote]

This is quite humorous out of context. :lol: I'd quote that if I didn't already have a good quote.

damn, fatbeer beat me to the useful info regarding the end!

I'm only like 5 hr in rite now, but I'ma post full details about filling the end book anyways! taken from gamefaqs:

When you reach the ending book, you must use certain characters on certain chapters if you want to get the real ending. The text files you get later in Velvets chapter give you hints about whom to use, but I'll let you know just in case.

First chapter: Cornelius
2nd : Oswald
3rd: Mercedes
4th: Velvet
5th: Gwendolyn

If you beat the ending book in that order, you will get the true ending to the game, but you might notice if you visit the story listing that you're missing a few scenes. Those scenes are by playing in the incorrect order, but you get a special scene for using that character. So if you want to get all the bonus scenes, you'll want to play the ending book again using these characters

1st : Velvet
2nd: Cornelius
3rd : Gwendolyn
4th : Oswald Or Mercedes
5th : Oswald or Mercedes

1st: Mercedes
2nd: Any
3rd: Oswald
4th: Any
5th: Any

1st: Oswald or Gwen
2nd: Any
3rd: Velvet or Cornelius
4th Any
5th Any

also are eggs even worth hatching??? all u get is either more eggs, or 400 HP experience if u kill the chicken, which is less than some fruits can get you. I think it's better to use them for either cooking or increasing material level.

speaking of which, some advice I jus learned is DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY EVER!!

likewise, do not waste bones and stems by throwing them at opponents =P

if u see items on the ground but do not have space for them and/or u do not need them, always dispose of items by throwing them into your material base.

when u increase the level on them, you get more orbs. The TENS digit represents the amount of bonus orbs u can get, while the ONES denotes the outcome of your alchemy.

for example, I coulda jus left the ground littered with seeds and moved on to the next stage, but instead I began to throw bones and seeds into my base til it reached level 80, then I planted 2 seeds, alch'ed myself a cooler, and the bonus orbs were enough to bloom both the seeds plus have some orbs leftover!

[quote name='JEKKI']also are eggs even worth hatching??? all u get is either more eggs, or 400 HP experience if u kill the chicken, which is less than some fruits can get you. I think it's better to use them for either cooking or increasing material level.[/QUOTE]
Chicken is useful in some recipes. First one that comes to mind is Consumme that gives 8300 EXP and I think +14 HP.

[quote name='jling84']Damn this game is soooooooooooooooooooooooo good! Here I was thinking God of War II was the PS2's last hurrah and this game comes out of nowhere. Just got it yesterday for a bunch of crappy games I traded in at GC!

I got a small question about the aspect ratio of this game. I read the instruction manual, but I didn't see any mention of a widescreen option. However, when I use my PS3 and use the full upscaling function, the game looks beautiful and doesn't look stretched out to me. Anyone know if this game is supposed to be WS or 4:3? Thanks![/QUOTE]

I dunno, but I agree it does look really nice in full screen 720p :)

I'm amazed how good this game is...like Valkyrie Profile but better. Finally, Atlus is out of its PS2 slump (nothing good since SMT: DS last year)

There is no option to turn on Widescreen as far as I can see which leads me to believe it doesn't support it... Eh oh well it looks good even if it is being stretched out, unlike most 4:3 games.

Just finished Gwennie's story. The final boss was ridiculously easy for me with the +30% Attack ring and Overload. I didn't even have to heal once. There was bad slowdown as people reported, but it wasn't TOO bad.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Just finished Gwennie's story. The final boss was ridiculously easy for me with the +30% Attack ring and Overload. I didn't even have to heal once. There was bad slowdown as people reported, but it wasn't TOO bad.[/QUOTE]

Would you say it was bad enough that you noticed it significantly enough for you roll your eyes, or was it quick enough that you didn't even have to "put down" your controller for the time being?

Also, what time did you clock?

lolkplzthksx

[quote name='Moxio']Would you say it was bad enough that you noticed it significantly enough for you roll your eyes, or was it quick enough that you didn't even have to "put down" your controller for the time being?

Also, what time did you clock?

lolkplzthksx[/QUOTE]
It was significant, but I didn't have to put down my controller or anything. It was still at an ok speed.

I clocked a little over 8 hours I think. But I'm playing in Easy mode because I suck at these types of games...

Easy? Niggerita plz. :speaktothehand: ( . y . ) :)

But 8 hrs sounds like grooves. I guess I can except 30-35 hours from this?

Also, are there any significant sidequests? Like anything near the equivalence of FFXII's monster hunting?

there isnt any sidequest but you can replay level to get item you missed. According to gamefaqs easy only means you level up faster and get item easier. The number of enemies and the damage they do are the same.

[quote name='Draekon']I've only bothered hatching a chicken once and the only other thing I had on the ground was a planted seed and he hatched. It only took around 5-10 seconds for him to hatch. Then I watched him walk by the planted seed and then dropped 3 seeds onto the ground until he grew.

Maybe it can only hatch on the battlefield? Or maybe it's like 62t said and can only be done when there's a seed (or plant) on the ground.[/quote]
It should be able to hatch anywhere. I hatched one in a shop level with nothing out and feeding it seeds was easy enough, though they need to be dropped in front of it. You shouldn't need to plant any seeds, though I accidentally planted one when I went to drop one in front of the chick. #-o

[quote name='62t']there isnt any sidequest but you can replay level to get item you missed. According to gamefaqs easy only means you level up faster and get item easier. The number of enemies and the damage they do are the same.[/QUOTE]
Now I feel like slightly less of a pussy, thanks. :D

EDIT: Ok, I just fought the same boss I just killed with Gwennie with Cornelius. This time, the slowdown was pretty much fucking UNBEARABLE. Dear Lord.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Does anything carry over across characters? Items, XP, anything?[/QUOTE]
No.

But YOUR experience does carry over, as in, your own skills in playing the game. Thusly, Cornelius's story has been much easier for me than Gwennie's even though he's pretty much a weakling.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No.

But YOUR experience does carry over, as in, your own skills in playing the game. Thusly, Cornelius's story has been much easier for me than Gwennie's even though he's pretty much a weakling.[/QUOTE]

Well, unlocked restaurant and alchemy recipes remain unlocked for all characters, but that's it...

On another note, I got my Odin Sphere Artworks book in the mail today. The thing is damn nice, a lot of effort went into making this book.

Anyone know if Gamecrazy carries this? I'll be checking trade-in prices there tomorrow, if there's a chance I can get this there.

[quote name='Starky27']Well, unlocked restaurant and alchemy recipes remain unlocked for all characters, but that's it...
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I forgot that.

For anyone still looking for this, Circuit City will be carrying it (or might already have it), it's being advertised in next week's ad.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Now I feel like slightly less of a pussy, thanks. :D

EDIT: Ok, I just fought the same boss I just killed with Gwennie with Cornelius. This time, the slowdown was pretty much fucking UNBEARABLE. Dear Lord.[/quote]
So now they're not just blowing it out of proportion? ;) :lol:

[quote name='pete5883']Anyone know if Gamecrazy carries this? I'll be checking trade-in prices there tomorrow, if there's a chance I can get this there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's where I got mine. I'll get around to playing it some day ;).

Oh trust me though, when you get to play with Velvet there is LOADS of slowdown. I think it's because her character has more animation frames than the others.

oden59an4.jpg

Official art from the Japanese book which you can get on ebay
winky.gif

So I started this today, picked up the book and it drove me right into story with no explanation. So what the hell was up with the little girl in the beginning?

Its not that hard. The little girl is reading the story that you are playing. She's nobody. I pick up the cat everytime before I start the game. The way she launches herself into that chair is so cute!

If you sit in the chair with the cat, it activates the story archives. There are books for the different characters but you only get one to start, apparently.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']So I started this today, picked up the book and it drove me right into story with no explanation. So what the hell was up with the little girl in the beginning?[/QUOTE]

The little girl just there to read the many stories of Odin Sphere.

Near the end of the game, she get dispointed with all characters death during Armagendon chapter. Then she pluck the last pooka coin and head down for dinner. Pooka Cornelious and Pooka Velvet warp from different dimension. They take the pooka coin and drop the final chapter of odin sphere.

my friend also help me upload couple of videos on you tube. It took so much time to play and upload all those videos. I only add the good ending with extra scenes. I doubt i will put anymore video since i no longer have the game anymore, unless i get it again as filler from gamestop buy 2 get 1 free sale

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
Belial
is a fucker. At least I beat him though. Done with Cornelius now, starting Mercedes.[/QUOTE]
I had a hard time with him. Then I got more napalm and use 4 of those to kill it.

Edit: This game got GOTM from EGM, outscoring Pokemon and Ninja Gaiden Sigma.

bread's done
Back