Odin Sphere - Geeze The Animation is Amazing!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, I've really noticed that. Unfortunatly lately I've found a lot of action RPGs to be a lot LESS interesting than scrolling fighters...like they think weak RPG elements are enough to make up for bad combat or something.

I wonder if it's too late to preorder this at EB?[/QUOTE]

We were still taking orders today, probably still be up tomorrow.

[quote name='Robobandit']It is a side-scrolling action rpg/brawler/platformer is my understanding.

really there is a fine line between action rpg and brawler as it is :)[/QUOTE]

I suppose - I'm OK with action RPG's, they just aren't my favorite (though Rogue Galaxy is an exception). Oh well, I already have it preordered so I'll just go through with it. Hopefully it will become "teh rare" in any case ;).

[quote name='io']I suppose - I'm OK with action RPG's, they just aren't my favorite (though Rogue Galaxy is an exception). Oh well, I already have it preordered so I'll just go through with it. Hopefully it will become "teh rare" in any case ;).[/quote]

It is pretty to look at, has 5 different characters with overlapping stories, has dual language options (something I'd like to encourage) and has beautiful music.

I can't really complain about anything there :)

[quote name='Logain8955']We were still taking orders today, probably still be up tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm going to try to get to EB tonight.

wow, this week is the week. Between this game and getting Red Star, I've got lots of gaming to keep me busy now that summer has come around.

[quote name='willardhaven']Heads up, Best Buy is stocking this on the 29th now (I used the inventory system at work to check).[/quote]
Typical, they always seem to be a week behind. Glad to hear they're getting it though.

Last week EB told me the 23rd. Their site says the 22nd but maybe that's only for people ordering online.

[quote name='slfc']Last week EB told me the 23rd. Their site says the 22nd but maybe that's only for people ordering online.[/quote]

It ships from their warehouses to their stores and to their customers on the 22nd. Most stores will get it on the 23rd.

[quote name='Robobandit']It ships from their warehouses to their stores and to their customers on the 22nd. Most stores and web customers who paid for overnight shipping will get it on the 23rd.[/quote]
Updated

[quote name='Robobandit']It ships from their warehouses to their stores and to their customers on the 22nd. Most stores will get it on the 23rd.[/QUOTE]
How people who play video games don't know this yet always astounds me.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']How people who play video games don't know this yet always astounds me.[/quote]

I honestly don't know either at this point

Early reviews tell me that it's basically a very very pretty version of Double Dragon III. I was viciously crushed by this news. :(

that's a very arbitrary choice for comparision..

It's got general brawler elements with RPG elements mixed in, and very pretty 2D.

Your statement does nothing but overemphasize the brawler element and downplay the game in general.

But then, I'm sure you've already played it and my opinion is worth nothing, right? ;)

Just let the skeptics miss this wonderful title.. not only is it going to be fun to play but they are going to kick themselves later on when they actually do want it and have to get reamed in the rear to fork out some serious cash for it...

[quote name='jer7583']that's a very arbitrary choice for comparision..

It's got general brawler elements with RPG elements mixed in, and very pretty 2D.

Your statement does nothing but overemphasize the brawler element and downplay the game in general.

But then, I'm sure you've already played it and my opinion is worth nothing, right? ;)[/quote]

No, I'm just quoting early reviews that say it's a mindless button-mashing marathon. They say that you use a support item, and then tap the attack button. That's all.

Major props to whoever initially suggested going with Buy.com and GCO. I have a feeling that FF XII is going to be abandoned pretty soon :)

[quote name='brandonabley']No, I'm just quoting early reviews that say it's a mindless button-mashing marathon. They say that you use a support item, and then tap the attack button. That's all.[/QUOTE]
Can you provide a link to these reviews?

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Can you provide a link to these reviews?[/quote]

You should check out gamerankings.com. 'Play' is constantly over rating games, but I read the review from 'Worth Playing' and it was very interesting. I'm waiting on gamespot, ign, game informer, and egm before I get burned on another one of these 'rare' or 'limited print' games.

Don't get me wrong, I really want this game to be great, too. There has just been so much unquestioned love for this game simply because it looks pretty and may end up being rare one day.

Yeah, I, too, was really looking forward to this game.

Review:
http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=779219

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/launchreview.asp?reviewid=779314

Even the positive review, which calls the game a "masterpiece" multiple times, mentions that the actual gameplay is very dry and limited.

Also, seriously, can some of you guys grow up or something? It's pretty stupid to say sarcastic shit like, MAGICAL REVIEWS THAT ONLY HE CAN SEEEEEE . . . .

[quote name='brandonabley']

Also, seriously, can some of you guys grow up or something? It's pretty stupid to say sarcastic shit like, MAGICAL REVIEWS THAT ONLY HE CAN SEEEEEE . . . .[/quote]

Yes and asking them to " grow up or something? " really makes you sound mature. On top of a caps quote with tons of dots. Really don't start shit here in RPG related threads. If somehow he offended your boyfreind you can spoon with him later to make it better, till then move on.

Anyway...

Thanks for the links to those two reviews. I preordered from Amazon but I'll be keeping an eye on the reviews yet to come in.

Gamespot review is up -- 7.6.

The write-up is generally positive, though the slow-down really seems to be quite an issue. The author described the frame rate during one boss fight as approaching "dead-stop" which sounds awful.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/odinsphere/review.html

Other negatives aren't that big a deal (clumsy item management, etc) and I must admit I enjoy that the game is being referred to more often than not as a "beat 'em up." I'll probably pick it up this week, given that I am a sucker for 2D games, beat em ups, and the combination of the two!

[quote name='LostRoad']Yes and asking them to " grow up or something? " really makes you sound mature. On top of a caps quote with tons of dots. Really don't start shit here in RPG related threads. If somehow he offended your boyfreind you can spoon with him later to make it better, till then move on.[/quote]

Well, I didn't mean to like START something.

I'll probably pick this game up tomorrow, but I just feel a little let down because I was really excited for it. All of the RPG sites were covering it, and the videos looked really amazing, but when it turns out to just be a beat-em-up, it seems a lot less special. The reviews talk about a game design that probably isn't very polished, and on the whole it doesn't seem to have have to same mystique that it had during hype.

[quote name='JasonHasRSI']
The write-up is generally positive, though the slow-down really seems to be quite an issue. The author described the frame rate during one boss fight as approaching "dead-stop" which sounds awful.
[/QUOTE]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Looks like I'll be renting this one over the summer (if it's even available to rent) unless it magically goes down in price. I ain't spending $40 on some slowdown-ridden game. This really shouldn't be an issue anymore with games, even on the PS2. If I were my old self, I would be picking this up tomorrow. But I've become picky about the games I buy at release anymore. I blame CAG.

But seriously, they should have delayed it for the US market a couple months to fix this slowdown.

[quote name='JasonHasRSI']Gamespot review is up -- 7.6.

[/QUOTE]

Sonofabitch, I knew this was going to be an issue. I was skeptical, then I heard all these positive things about it, I found a deal, and now I'll end up destroying a controller. Man, I hate slowdown.

EDIT: After reading that review, I'm not excited at all anymore. They basically highlighted every single thing I was hoping this wouldn't be like. Hopefully I'm able to look past it.

2D games love slowdown.

this game, beat-up level-up, reminds me of Guardian Heroes,

and that's one of the greatest games ever, with slowdown too

I'm going to give it a chance, I grew up in the 8-bit era so slowdown is like a fact of life for me. From Double Dragon (SMS) to Streets of Rage 3, slow down never bothered me as long as the game was fun.

[quote name='MadFlava']I'm going to give it a chance, I grew up in the 8-bit era so slowdown is like a fact of life for me. From Double Dragon (SMS) to Streets of Rage 3, slow down never bothered me as long as the game was fun.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Not a problem for me.

And now the fanbase gets split into two camps - those that will write off anything negative because they've hyped the game so much to themselves, and those that take all the negative facets of a review and unhype themselves.

Always the best part of these threads when the reviews start hitting.

And "dropping the frame rate to a dead stop" is far from NES slowdown, there is a big difference.

Odin Sphere is a great-looking game that also plays well. It does suffer somewhat from uneven performance and inelegant design, but it's still an undeniably enjoyable game. If you aren't hooked by Odin Sphere's unique visual style, then you'll be grabbed by its classic sentimentality and tough-as-nails difficulty. Add to that a good 40 hours of gameplay for slightly less than full price, and Odin Sphere is a game worth playing.

Still getting it, though, if I don't like it I'll just dump it on Ebay. It will only cost me $8 or so out of pocket since I have leftover credit.

6 reviews now on Metacritic.

Gamepro's review looks like it took 5 minutes to write. This little bit caught my attention:
I was also incredibly pleased with Odin Sphere's art style, which is striking and vibrant. I wasn't so pleased with the long load times, and I'm guessing the complex visuals had something to do with it; it isn't an unbearable wait, but it still detracts from the overall experience. Also, the game will slow down during certain battles when more than ten enemies are on the screen, and I encountered so much slow down during a few major boss battles that it practically rendered the game unplayable.
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/reviews/113008.shtml
:headache:

[quote name='Roufuss']And now the fanbase gets split into two camps - those that will write off anything negative because they've hyped the game so much to themselves, and those that take all the negative facets of a review and unhype themselves.

Always the best part of these threads when the reviews start hitting.

And "dropping the frame rate to a dead stop" is far from NES slowdown, there is a big difference.[/QUOTE]
Or we could just honestly not care. It's really not that hard to believe. There's plenty of games that I enjoy that have faults. Hell, there's games I enjoy that most reviewers called horrible (Ar Tonelico, both Generation of Chaos games, pretty much everything Koei makes, .hack//GU, etc.). So I'm sorry if I have a hard time listening to these sites that seem to blow every problem in a game out or proportion. And that's not even considering the fact that the gamespot review plainly said it's still a really good game that people should play.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Or we could just honestly not care. It's really not that hard to believe. There's plenty of games that I enjoy that have faults. Hell, there's games I enjoy that most reviewers called horrible (Ar Tonelico, both Generation of Chaos games, pretty much everything Koei makes, .hack//GU, etc.). So I'm sorry if I have a hard time listening to these sites that seem to blow every problem in a game out or proportion. And that's not even considering the fact that the gamespot review plainly said it's still a really good game that people should play.[/quote]

Now I really liked AR Tonelico also.. that game had a lot of spots mainly in battle where slowdown and pauses would come into factor but that bugged me on occasion but ultimately nev er made me hate the game at all..
Ar Tonelico is a very under appreciated game due to the reviews it got so someday it will be hard to find just like some of the others..

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
But seriously, they should have delayed it for the US market a couple months to fix this slowdown.[/QUOTE]

You can't automatically fix slowdown. Sure, sometimes better programing would fix things, but at a certain point you hit the limits of what a system can do. From what I've seen, Odin Sphere really pushes the Playstation 2 hard. I'm surprised it can look as good as it does, so not surprised to hear about slowdown.

I just finished watching the review, and it was very positive. It sounds like there's really just one boss fight with terrible performance issues. Just some slowdown isn't a big deal (skipping frames is a big deal, but I've never had an issue with slowdown.

I'd say "If you're a fan of beat-em-ups or action RPGs, you owe it to yourself to check out Odin Sphere" is a positive review!

At any rate, it looks great, he said it's almost always fun, and just the fact that it's 2D means I want to support it.

Hell I love slowdown, it almost gives you an edge of sorts. Gamespots review sounded more positive then a 7.6.

I've already decided on the getting the game, I can't pass on a game with this kind of beautiful art. It may be contradictory to get a game solely for graphics, but Legend of Mana has been my vote for best art, and this may oneup LOM. And, it's different if the graphics are 2D, that's a whole other voting scale to consider.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']How did they give it an 8 for graphics? Its basically the best looking 2D sprite game ever.[/quote]

Probably because it doesn't look much different from the OLD Princess Crown on Saturn.
It needs high res sprites to fill up the screen more beautifully. ;)

[quote name='dallow']Probably because it doesn't look much different from the OLD Princess Crown on Saturn.
It needs high res sprites to fill up the screen more beautifully. ;)[/quote]

It looks a hell of alot better than Princess Crown.. You people are getting to picky... lol

I just got it a few minutes ago, I'll be back to post my impressions-- along with PS3 performance/LCD display information for those who are interested.

[quote name='KwanzaaTimmy']I just got it a few minutes ago, I'll be back to post my impressions-- along with PS3 performance/LCD display information for those who are interested.[/quote]

cool, but it probably look much better tomorrow when PS3 firmware 1.80 comes out and you can play it with upscaling (up to 1080p).

bread's done
Back