Official Pokemon HeartGold & SoulSilver thread of 10 year nostalgia rush

Toys R Us is the way to go IMO. I just went there to get Soul Silver, and I got a T-Shirt, figurine, stickers, and a $5 gift card. Also, I was expecting the game to be $40, but it was only $35. I am pleased

[quote name='KongaKing']Is there a way to get the classic starters (bulba, squirtle, charmander) in this game? Online trading or something? I want a bulbasaur![/QUOTE]

you can get them without trading.

I have no idea why I want to buy this...I rebought a DS Lite just to play Pearl...put in 40 hours and 7 badges, never beat it. Then I got Platinum....16 hours, never beat it.

But the allure of basically have the entire Red/Blue region to explore might be too hard to deny...

[quote name='KongaKing']How?[/QUOTE]

#001 Bulbasaur, #004 Charmander & #007 Squirtle - "Kanto Starters"

The second batch of Starters you will find are the Pokémon whom trainers start with when they begin the journey in Kanto. In Heart Gold & Soul Silver, these Pokémon are obtained by visiting Professor Oak after you have obtained all 16 Badges and defeating Red. He will compliment you on your success and provide you one of these Pokémon. As with all starters, they will be at Level 5.

I can't remember if the infinite items cheat was available in the original Gold and Silver. Anyone know if we will see this in the new games?

[quote name='Josh5890']I can't remember if the infinite items cheat was available in the original Gold and Silver. Anyone know if we will see this in the new games?[/QUOTE]

that was in the original red and blue, and hasnt return since.

[quote name='62t']
#001 Bulbasaur, #004 Charmander & #007 Squirtle - "Kanto Starters"

The second batch of Starters you will find are the Pokémon whom trainers start with when they begin the journey in Kanto. In Heart Gold & Soul Silver, these Pokémon are obtained by visiting Professor Oak after you have obtained all 16 Badges and defeating Red. He will compliment you on your success and provide you one of these Pokémon. As with all starters, they will be at Level 5.
[/QUOTE]

Hm, I'd like to go through most of the game raising Bulbasaur, not getting him after i did everything. I hope there's some online once I unlock being able to get on the web, 'cause I'd love to have Bulbasaur in my party from early on.

[quote name='KongaKing']
Hm, I'd like to go through most of the game raising Bulbasaur, not getting him after i did everything. I hope there's some online once I unlock being able to get on the web, 'cause I'd love to have Bulbasaur in my party from early on.
[/QUOTE]

The only way is to trade from someone who has it. If you want to trade by wifi you can do it after the 4th gym.

I'm actually digging the little pokewalker, every once in a while I check it and go try to catch a pokemon. Got the "rare" kangaskhan from the first route.

[quote name='Josh5890']I can't remember if the infinite items cheat was available in the original Gold and Silver. Anyone know if we will see this in the new games?[/QUOTE]

I remember that fondly. Something about going to Cinnibar Island and meeting freaky Pokemon, then seeing the old man on the gym roof brings back memories. Good times.

[quote name='br26']I remember that fondly. Something about going to Cinnibar Island and meeting freaky Pokemon, then seeing the old man on the gym roof brings back memories. Good times.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Got my copy from my favorite video game store, obviously a mom and pop, yesterday. I chose a Chikorita because I spent the least amount of time with it.
I'd have to say after reading the instruction manual for the Pokewalker, I'm very impressed with this game already. The cart has an infrared sensor that hooks up with the pedometer, rather than using the wifi signal of the DS. I haven't turned it on yet, considering I really walk alot on an average day, and I'm afraid of over-training my pokemon.
I loves me some auto running, it's very helpful especially if one's playing with a stylus, and especially the DSi, considering the clicky sound of the buttons.[/QUOTE]

You cannot over train your pokemon by walking. Pretty much you can only gain one level per walk. Each step is 1 experience point. If you reach the experience points needed to level up then he reaches the max. You can continue to walk but it will not go towards experience points. So no worries about that, if you want to let it get its level then transfer it back to your game, he will level up and you can send him back to earn more experience points.

I don't think you can transfer eggs to the pokewalker, think only works for pokemon. I mean I'm nowhere near the location where you can start breeding them (I'm just assuming, since not even at the first gym...I never played gold/silver so not even sure where it is) to try it out.

Still, something tells me that more than likely you cannot.

Yeah, I don't recall egg hatching being mentioned as a feature of it, so I figure the same. Just seems like the PokeWalker hatching eggs would make even more sense than any of the stuff it actually does. Still cool though.

You know why I think more it wouldn't work, because then you would not be able to catch any of the other pokemon during your walk. Since your pokemon fights the wild pokemon, your egg couldn't fight.

Especially since they say if you have no pokemon, you would get a wild pokemon who would join you in your walk, more than likely so you can use it to fight to obtain the other pokemon there.

So what version does everyone have? I'll be picking it up tomorrow or Tuesday and would like to get the least popular one. I did a ton of breeding and trading on CAG after i beat Pearl, and i will probably do the same with this, although FF13 is still monopolizing my time.

[quote name='hohez']So what version does everyone have? I'll be picking it up tomorrow or Tuesday and would like to get the least popular one. I did a ton of breeding and trading on CAG after i beat Pearl, and i will probably do the same with this, although FF13 is still monopolizing my time.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting Soul Silver while my brother will be taking Heart Gold

Seems the majority that people are getting are SoulSilver since one it's the cheapest one can get on Amazon and 2, people seem to prefer Lugia over Ho-oh.

Yea, you get Kanto and the 8 badges after beating the E4. It was the same way as in the original G/S except this time Kanto is more fleshed out I understand.

Anyway, wolfe, I wanted HG because I had Gold when I was younger. But I got the cheaper one, and after looking at an unboxing Im not disappointed. The Silver boxart looks better than the Gold anyway :p Not like it matters much when playing.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Err wait a minute...there's 16 badges in this game?....

And you get the ENTIRE Kanto region as the endgame?[/QUOTE]

It was like that in the original as well

[quote name='62t']It was like that in the original as well[/QUOTE]

I never played the originals...

I played Red for about 200 hours, then left the series until Pearl and Platinum.

But it sounds like its Heartgold and Soul Silver are 2 games in 1 (Red/Blue + Gold/silver) I am really wanting this...its too bad GoW 3 comes out on Tuesday and I'm trying to save some cash.

Kanto is pretty different in G/S. Some places like Viridian Forest, Cycling Road and the Safari Zone were removed from the game, Cinnibar Island is completely different and some other routes were changed. In the DS remakes though they added the Safari Zone back in if I remember correctly. I'd expect Kanto to be more fleshed out in the remake.

[quote name='br26']Kanto is pretty different in G/S. Some places like Viridian Forest, Cycling Road and the Safari Zone were removed from the game, Cinnibar Island is completely different and some other routes were changed. In the DS remakes though they added the Safari Zone back in if I remember correctly. I'd expect Kanto to be more fleshed out in the remake.[/QUOTE]

I really hope that Kanto is almost the same as the original, just updated graphics.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I never played the originals...

I played Red for about 200 hours, then left the series until Pearl and Platinum.[/QUOTE]

You missed the best.

[quote name='br26']Kanto is pretty different in G/S. Some places like Viridian Forest, Cycling Road and the Safari Zone were removed from the game, Cinnibar Island is completely different and some other routes were changed. In the DS remakes though they added the Safari Zone back in if I remember correctly. I'd expect Kanto to be more fleshed out in the remake.[/QUOTE]

The old Safari Zone is now the new Pal Park. In GSC, it was just closed.

[quote name='Josh5890']I really hope that Kanto is almost the same as the original, just updated graphics.[/QUOTE]

It'll be as it was in GSC.

[quote name='icedrake523']You missed the best.
[/QUOTE]

That's what I've heard...but Gold/Silver came out when I was in 8th grade I think...it was either then or Freshman year of high school, and sorry, there was no way I'd still be playing a Pokemon game.

8-9 years later as a college grad with a job? MUCH more acceptable to play Pokemon games :)

That's pretty much how it goes. You spend X number of years as a kid, then you spend Y number of years trying to convince everyone you're no longer a kid, then once you past that phase, you spend the remainder of your life wishing you were a kid again.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']That's what I've heard...but Gold/Silver came out when I was in 8th grade I think...it was either then or Freshman year of high school, and sorry, there was no way I'd still be playing a Pokemon game.

8-9 years later as a college grad with a job? MUCH more acceptable to play Pokemon games :)[/QUOTE]

It reminds me of a joke I read on the internet...

"8 year olds play GTA while 20 year olds play Pokemon"

[quote name='A Happy Panda']That's what I've heard...but Gold/Silver came out when I was in 8th grade I think...it was either then or Freshman year of high school, and sorry, there was no way I'd still be playing a Pokemon game.

8-9 years later as a college grad with a job? MUCH more acceptable to play Pokemon games :)[/QUOTE]

Funny during my highschool days Pokemon (on emulator) was one of the most popular game we played during computer class.

Are you guys having any luck getting the screw off of the pokewalker to put the belt clip on? I can't find anything that can get the screw off. Anyone have any ideas?

I hear that. I bought Ruby one summer when I had nothing else to play. I remember I bought it in a mall and happened to see someone from school. He was the kinda guy who, if he saw you, would come over and start talking asking what you were doing. Fortunately, he didn't see me.

[quote name='icedrake523']I hear that. I bought Ruby one summer when I had nothing else to play. I remember I bought it in a mall and happened to see someone from school. He was the kinda guy who, if he saw you, would come over and start talking asking what you were doing. Fortunately, he didn't see me.[/QUOTE]

I actually had to lie to my roommate during my Sophomore year of college (I think that's when Pearl came out) because I re-bought a DS Lite...I didn't want him knowing I was playing Pokemon (a Sophomore playing Pokemon is social fucking suicide) So whenever I'd be playing it, I'd just play in my room, and if someone knocked on my door, I'd close the lid and tuck it away. Cept one day I wasn't paying attention as I was playing, and he knocked on my door, so I say yeah come in, he goes "What the hell are you doing?" realizing my error, I quickly lied and said I was playing Tetris and that it was my cousin's DS..

Too close for comfort...

[quote name='Ski Hawk']Are you guys having any luck getting the screw off of the pokewalker to put the belt clip on? I can't find anything that can get the screw off. Anyone have any ideas?[/QUOTE]

I just used a little screw driver piece. I have one of those screw drivers that you can interchange the size or type of the tip. I had one that just worked perfectly. Another idea, I am guessing that the little screw driver to fix glasses would work on this easily.

Kinda annoying thing about the guides for this game:

There are two separate guides, each covering the two game regions.

Johto Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Heart...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268680108&sr=1-1

Kanto Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Heart...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268680108&sr=1-2

It's kind of funny that the Kanto guide won't be released until mid-April. I guess it gives gamers time to just get to Kanto. Probably going to be very confusing for plenty of folks later just wanting to get the guide. They'll totally accidentally buy the Kanto guide, even when they're first starting the game.

Question, does gamestop sell these yet? It says on the gamestop website that no gamestop in 100 miles has it (or did they all sell out?). I was just curious since I am going to pick up a copy tomorrow and would prefer to trade a few games in (but if not wal mart is ok).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, does gamestop sell these yet? It says on the gamestop website that no gamestop in 100 miles has it (or did they all sell out?). I was just curious since I am going to pick up a copy tomorrow and would prefer to trade a few games in (but if not wal mart is ok).[/QUOTE]

probally cause it came out on a sunday and they havent updated the site with store listings

Gamestops inventory is supposed to be fairly accurate but 2 things could be happening here: Daylight Savings Time, and an abnormal release date (more likely the latter).

Even if they were out this morning, the chance of them getting some in today (or tomorrow) is very high. I remember when Darksiders came out, it sold out in my town, and they had another shipment the next day-- even higher chance of that happening with Pokemon.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Question, does gamestop sell these yet? It says on the gamestop website that no gamestop in 100 miles has it (or did they all sell out?). I was just curious since I am going to pick up a copy tomorrow and would prefer to trade a few games in (but if not wal mart is ok).[/QUOTE]

Here, I will pretend I am a GameStop employee:

you: "Hi, do you have the new Pokemon game?"
me: "Did you preorder it?"
you: "No."
me: *chuckle*

The end.

Question for you guys...I just picked up SS and how does the Pokewalker works? DO I have to turn off and restart the game again to let it connect?

[quote name='KongaKing']Anyone have a bulbasaur they want to throw my way?[/QUOTE]

remember you dont unlock wifi trading till the 4th gym

[quote name='62t']remember you dont unlock wifi trading till the 4th gym[/QUOTE]

by wifi trading, do you mean with friends or strangers? because i was able to trade with a friend online through wifi trading.

bread's done
Back