Pre-order Dragon's Crown ($50 PS3, $40 Vita), get a free 64-page artbook

Zonic505

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
If you pre-order Dragon's Crown from "participating stores" (most likely the ones listed on the pre-order page, such as Amazon, GameStop, etc.), you'll get a free 64-page artbook:

frys_01.png

walmart_01.png

dragons_crown.jpg

The book includes illustrations of the characters, environments, and commissions from artists Akira Yasuda (Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom), Kinu Nishimura (Code of Princess, Virtue’s Last Reward), and Gouda Cheese AKA BENGUS (Super Street Fighter II, Darkstalkers).

The game will be available August 10th. Important thing to note is that you can only play online with people who have it for the same system you do, so you can't go online with your Vita to play with PS3 owners & vice versa. However, you can still transfer your saves if you own both versions of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for the heads up guys - I had both versions preordered when they first went up for the cheaper price. Not only did they match that on a new preorder for both, but they even gave me the Gold Box discounts I had on them before. Both games for under $60? Yup, I can work with that! :D

[quote name='darkhado666']So gamestop and amazon are still not displaying the artbook as a pre-order bonus...not good.[/QUOTE]

The game is still three months from release and the bonus was only announced four days ago, two days of which were a weekend. Not sure why that's "not good" as it will certainly be put up soon and is very unlikely to be as limited as people seem to be anticipating.

[quote name='darkhado666']So gamestop and amazon are still not displaying the artbook as a pre-order bonus...not good.[/QUOTE]

Honestly speaking, it means nothing.

Gamestop listed a preorder bonus for NG2S+, yet it was removed on the last day without warning. On the other hand, Amazon had listed the Muramasa preorder item (GS too I think) well before it was announced, so it goes both ways. If you don't see it come the time of release, just cancel and go elsewhere.

Well, after the $30 orders got cancelled, I have my "new" PS3 pre-order locked in since May 2, 2012.
I hope Amazon to apply a first in first out if this book gets really limited.

The book is showing up on amazon now it just doesn't have a separate box that says preorderd bonus. Under the description it says includes 64 page art book

[quote name='Murderstorm']The book is showing up on amazon now it just doesn't have a separate box that says preorderd bonus. Under the description it says includes 64 page art book[/QUOTE]Cool, now we have reference if Amazon doesn't ship the book with our preorders. Thanks. :)

[quote name='Murderstorm']The book is showing up on amazon now it just doesn't have a separate box that says preorderd bonus. Under the description it says includes 64 page art book[/QUOTE]

There is also a product preview trailer on newegg that shows the Art Book at the very end... Of course its all in Japanese script so I guess it could be nothing of note too.

I have my pre-order in. I've enjoyed all of VanillaWare's previous titles, so they get considerable slack where my wallet is concerned. I'm also quite happy that they went for a more mid-tier price. More companies need to release their games at a wider price range.

Called CS, replaced my original order and they gave me a $30 discount towards the purchase. Paid in full with AMZ gift cards. Thanks for the heads up :)

[quote name='argyle']Wow, thanks for the heads up guys - I had both versions preordered when they first went up for the cheaper price. Not only did they match that on a new preorder for both, but they even gave me the Gold Box discounts I had on them before. Both games for under $60? Yup, I can work with that! :D[/QUOTE]

lucky. They did match both of mine but they didn't match the GB discount one of them had.

Amazon already updated the pre-order info about the artbook:
"The 64-page art book (Dragons Crown Artworks) will be included" :)

How did you guys who got it for the old price get amazon to price match the old pre-order price? Did you e-mail or do a chat? Was it a hassle? They cancelled mine as well long ago and I'd LOVE to get it for $30.

Anyone know if the dragons crown artbook is amazon/gamestop only? i pre ordered the vita version at BBY but notice they dont list one. I need to know if i should cancel it and order at GS instead. Sooner rather than later so i dont miss out on it

For those of you who with previously canceled preorders, who got Amazon to honor the original price, what was your approach? I still have my original email canceling my order, but I never have tried something like that before. I'm not about to throw away $10 if I dont have to.

Thank you.
i just emailed them with a slightly pissed off message and copy/pasted my priginal confirmation. I did it a long time ago though. its probably too late now. Kinda neat getting the ps3 version for.. 25, 30? forget what it was. With the artbook

Shit. I was just denied via chat. Is there a customer service e-mail address, where I can forward my original confirmation?

edit: I followed up with an e-mail. If I'm unsuccessful, I'll go ahead and pre-order the game, and save money through my other routine purchases.

Thanks for reminding me about this. I remember when it was canceled and never bothered to get the price changed when the new listings came up soon after. Sent an email and was quickly rejected by some basic form letter about policy and which didn't reflect that someone actually read what I wrote. Sent another and was told that the old listing was "offered by different suppliers rather than the suppliers of your recent orders" but the rep changed the prices anyway. It really depends on who you get when you email them, and it doesn't hurt to try again (I'd give up after 3 tries, personally, and would only so much if I felt like the CSR was completely clueless). If you haven't emailed yet, give it a shot, there is still plenty of time until release.

is this a crossbuy game?

it was when it wa announced, now its not i guess =( pretty lame
I don't recall it EVER being a cross-buy and even if it was (prior to Atlus taking over), it was very poorly managed.
it definitely was. i planned on getting just the ps3 version at the time, and the digital vita one. i was annoyed when it switched publishers, shot up in price, and lost that.

still not clear iof BBY is getting the artbook... getting a bit worried

I don't think it was ever cross-buy since the vita and ps3 version were selling for $30 each when Ignition planned on releasing it if I remember correctly. Also got amazon to give me the old pre-order price it looks like, sweet!

I don't think it was ever cross-buy since the vita and ps3 version were selling for $30 each when Ignition planned on releasing it if I remember correctly. Also got amazon to give me the old pre-order price it looks like, sweet!
They always will. That's their policy of pre-order guarantee.

is this a crossbuy game?

it was when it wa announced, now its not i guess =( pretty lame
I don't recall it EVER being a cross-buy and even if it was (prior to Atlus taking over), it was very poorly managed.
it definitely was. i planned on getting just the ps3 version at the time, and the digital vita one. i was annoyed when it switched publishers, shot up in price, and lost that.

still not clear iof BBY is getting the artbook... getting a bit worried
Right, want to give some proof before you start talking out your ass?

Atlus took over Dragons Crown on roughly April 19th 2012. 4 months later Cross-Buy was first announced, which means Atlus would have been the ones to make that claim, though I can tell you for a fact they never did. It was a VERY common question on the blog, which generally went unanswered till they confirmed it doesn't support Cross-Play either.

Like I said, I would love a quote / source to prove me wrong, otherwise I absolutely hate when people start spreading misinformation. Especially when it seems that was a big part of you no longer wanting the game.

It was never cross buy, I remember talking about it on the forums not long after its announcement. I kept going back and forth on which version to buy before settling on the ps3.

It was never cross buy, I remember talking about it on the forums not long after its announcement. I kept going back and forth on which version to buy before settling on the ps3.
I went back and forth on which version to buy too, then said fuck it and ordered both from Amazon, since they both come with the preorder art book. Really want to support this kind of game so we might see more, especially on the Vita.

As of right now only Gamestop and Amazon show the artbook as a preorder bonus, I've been watching the other sites and haven't seen any mention of the artbooks elsewhere. I preordered both from Amazon because they have slightly lower prices than retail for each version ($45 and $37 vs. $50 and $40).

I jumped on the Amazon price, art book and $45 isn't bad.  I've been watching this game a while and was kicking myself for not pre-ordering back in the day.  Oh well, I love side scrollers like this.  Especially good looking ones.  Might even be able to get the wife to play since she will love the ranger, although I'm sure she will roll her eyes at the amazon and sorceress.  I'm thinking the dwarf will be my choice,

I went back and forth on which version to buy too, then said fuck it and ordered both from Amazon, since they both come with the preorder art book. Really want to support this kind of game so we might see more, especially on the Vita.
I also really like Vanillaware and wanted to give them some extra love. But I just couldn't bring myself to purchase two copies of the same game, especially when I don't know anyone else who owns a Vita. (the co-op gameplay is going to be big for me in this game)

So instead I broke down and pre-ordered Muramasa: Rebirth.

Does anyone know if NewEgg is definitely offering the art book as well?
They don't explicitly list it, so I wouldn't count on it. Best Buy has claimed in its customer forums that they'd have it too, but they also don't list the artbook on their product pages. So far only GS and Amazon list the artbook as a preorder bonus, but that certainly doesn't mean that they will be the only ones offering it. My copy of Muramasa Rebirth from Newegg came with the bonus soundtrack cd even though it was never listed on their site as a bonus.

I just ordered Dragon's Crown from Amazon to be sure I'd get the artbook.

someone in a previous post mentioned getting some CAGS together to play this game? I don't know anyone else getting it but it looks interesting. I'll give it a try so if anyone wants to play on Vita sometime just shoot me a PM.

Just got my hands on DC with about a 15 minute demo at EVO. Anyone having doubts about this game should know it plays better than any other brawler on the market. Persistent character leveling and adjustable skill sets, random loot, hidden areas. It also has three difficulty levels ala Diablo where you have to beat the game with a given character to unlock the next.

And the Golden Axe mounts are back. :D

Just got my hands on DC with about a 15 minute demo at EVO. Anyone having doubts about this game should know it plays better than any other brawler on the market. Persistent character leveling and adjustable skill sets, random loot, hidden areas. It also has three difficulty levels ala Diablo where you have to beat the game with a given character to unlock the next.

I just need to find people to play with.

I was going to buy this game no matter what, but your comment has got me super hyped for it. Can't wait.

Does anyone know if NewEgg is definitely offering the art book as well?
While no one is ever going to be able to tell you 100% one way of the other, I can tell you buying from Newegg is like betting on the horse with the worst odds. While historically they've done / gotten preorder items from Atlus, they have a long history of giving people nothing. Most recently we have the Project X Zone fiasco.

Lucky bastard! Shame we can't co op and remember the good times of the genesis! =\

Any chance there's a nice slip case for the game + book they aren't displaying? I know tombraider had an OK one with Best Buy combo. I imagine otherwise the art book will end of in a random game swag drawer with the demon souls art book, Persona 4 OST, etc. and I prefer to keep stuff together if possible.

Any chance there's a nice slip case for the game + book they aren't displaying? I know tombraider had an OK one with Best Buy combo. I imagine otherwise the art book will end of in a random game swag drawer with the demon souls art book, Persona 4 OST, etc. and I prefer to keep stuff together if possible.
You list two examples (both Atlus) and ask if another Atlus game will be different... I can assure you that logically it won't be.

I have the PS3 and Vita version on the same order at Amazon. I just hope they actually send me 2 art books. This will be the first co-op game I'll play on console w/ the gf in a long time. Exciting!

I was going to buy this game no matter what, but your comment has got me super hyped for it. Can't wait.
QFT. Just saw they also have PvP arenas as well. So stoked.

On another note, why isn't this game getting a CE? I rarely buy CEs, but this would have been a no brainer. C'MON ATLUS!

QFT. Just saw they also have PvP arenas as well. So stoked.

On another note, why isn't this game getting a CE? I rarely buy CEs, but this would have been a no brainer. C'MON ATLUS!
I guess they thought it was a big risk just releasing this type of game in the West at all, much less a CE of it. The fact that they're including an artbook with preorders is a big plus though, at least they went that far . . . and it was enough for me to preorder both versions.

Having said that, I would have snapped up a CE of this (on both platforms) in a heartbeat!

COME ON! Don't we have enough collectors editions already? I mean seriously, it seems like we're getting to a point where ____ game not getting a CE becomes news worthy... What they should have done is sold a bundled edition for slightly more ($70 tops) and simply included a digital voucher for the Vita version. Not quite as awesome as cross buy, but I would gladly pay $20 more to get a digital copy of the Vita version with my PS3 version.

Killin me with this, the wait was already bad enough. :)

With the talk of the art book and someone asking about a slipcase, something occured to me. How awesome would if be if Working Designs was still around and packaged this.

COME ON! Don't we have enough collectors editions already? I mean seriously, it seems like we're getting to a point where ____ game not getting a CE becomes news worthy... What they should have done is sold a bundled edition for slightly more ($70 tops) and simply included a digital voucher for the Vita version. Not quite as awesome as cross buy, but I would gladly pay $20 more to get a digital copy of the Vita version with my PS3 version.

The CE could have come packaged with a mini-bust of the sorceress's.....uh......bust.

COME ON! Don't we have enough collectors editions already? I mean seriously, it seems like we're getting to a point where ____ game not getting a CE becomes news worthy...
It's not like having a CE will make the game any less awesome. It's just more options for people, which is always a good thing.

I have the PS3 and Vita version on the same order at Amazon. I just hope they actually send me 2 art books. This will be the first co-op game I'll play on console w/ the gf in a long time. Exciting!
If you two haven't tried castle crashes or scoot pilgram yet, definitely try those out too.

It's not like having a CE will make the game any less awesome. It's just more options for people, which is always a good thing.
But it is a problem for retailers that don't like multiple SKU.

bread's done
Back