Pre-order Dragon's Crown ($50 PS3, $40 Vita), get a free 64-page artbook

Zonic505

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
If you pre-order Dragon's Crown from "participating stores" (most likely the ones listed on the pre-order page, such as Amazon, GameStop, etc.), you'll get a free 64-page artbook:

frys_01.png

walmart_01.png

dragons_crown.jpg

The book includes illustrations of the characters, environments, and commissions from artists Akira Yasuda (Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom), Kinu Nishimura (Code of Princess, Virtue’s Last Reward), and Gouda Cheese AKA BENGUS (Super Street Fighter II, Darkstalkers).

The game will be available August 10th. Important thing to note is that you can only play online with people who have it for the same system you do, so you can't go online with your Vita to play with PS3 owners & vice versa. However, you can still transfer your saves if you own both versions of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
COME ON! Don't we have enough collectors editions already? I mean seriously, it seems like we're getting to a point where ____ game not getting a CE becomes news worthy... What they should have done is sold a bundled edition for slightly more ($70 tops) and simply included a digital voucher for the Vita version. Not quite as awesome as cross buy, but I would gladly pay $20 more to get a digital copy of the Vita version with my PS3 version.
That's just my point: there's plenty of shitty CE's out there but for this game I'd love some extras, like some mini-figures of the characters or anything really. I love the art style so having something to accentuate my gaming area with that would have been awesome.

In closing, I miss Working Designs.

It's not like having a CE will make the game any less awesome. It's just more options for people, which is always a good thing.
Where the fuck did I say it would? My whole point was that we have enough collector's editions already and I can do without one more tempting me to buy it. It's like complaining that the PS3 / 360 don't have enough shooters, because this month doesn't have a military shooter.

That's just my point: there's plenty of shitty CE's out there but for this game I'd love some extras, like some mini-figures of the characters or anything really. I love the art style so having something to accentuate my gaming area with that would have been awesome.

In closing, I miss Working Designs.
Everything sounds fantastic in theory, but not so much in practice. Case in point, look at the collectors edition Muramasa Rebirth got. Ugly Vita case with the games logo on it, velvet bag with the logo, OST (free with preorders too) and a itty bitty lithograph with a nice picture on it for $20 dollars. Not like the Catherine CE, Demon Souls CE or Persona 4 CE's are shinning examples of great items in a CE.

Where the fuck did I say it would? My whole point was that we have enough collector's editions already and I can do without one more tempting me to buy it. It's like complaining that the PS3 / 360 don't have enough shooters, because this month doesn't have a military shooter.

Everything sounds fantastic in theory, but not so much in practice. Case in point, look at the collectors edition Muramasa Rebirth got. Ugly Vita case with the games logo on it, velvet bag with the logo, OST (free with preorders too) and a itty bitty lithograph with a nice picture on it for $20 dollars. Not like the Catherine CE, Demon Souls CE or Persona 4 CE's are shinning examples of great items in a CE.
I agree here. Instead of paying extra $20 for some crappy CE junk, I rather spend the money on a high quality art book from Udon or even $100 to import a figure from Japan.

Aside from the bitching about CEs (I get both sides. I love 'good' CEs, but there are WAY too many of them) we should get a list going for PSN adding. I've gone back and forth with many of you guys for years. It would be fun to play a game with some of you, and this is a great candidate! My PSN is XxZaku777xX feel free to add! ^_^

Sorry, didn't mean to say it that way. But I don't see any harm in a CE when no one's forcing anyone to buy one. This is, of course, speaking from the consumer's side.

I'm sure most of you have seen these... but if you haven't here are some sneak peak videos from IGN:

Finer points of combat

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/10/the-finer-points-of-combat-in-dragons-crown

Loot and equipment system

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/09/dragons-crowns-loot-and-equipment-systems-fully-explained

Enemies and bosses

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/07/12/the-enemies-and-bosses-of-dragons-crown

Add me if you want to co-op.  PSNID: needavacation

Locked my pre-order at best buy, my first ever pre-order actually.

As nice as this game looks, I'll be waiting for a price drop on the PS3 version. 30 bucks is my sweet spot for this game. I just have too many games coming my way within the next month to justify buying right now.

As nice as this game looks, I'll be waiting for a price drop on the PS3 version. 30 bucks is my sweet spot for this game. I just have too many games coming my way within the next month to justify buying right now.

I just can't see this game holding its value for very long. I think I am going to wait for 19.99 or lower on this one. The only thing that is bad about waiting for something like this is that the online community will be pretty much non-existent by then.

I just can't see this game holding its value for very long. I think I am going to wait for 19.99 or lower on this one. The only thing that is bad about waiting for something like this is that the online community will be pretty much non-existent by then.
This. Dragons Crown will be really fun with 3 other people. Unless you are planning to play it in single player mode why wait.

forgot to mention this last week. A lot of Gamestops have gotten their pre order artbook in stock. I got mine last week. If you pre-ordered from GS you may want to snag it early if they let you to make sure you get it, its actually really nice. Not the 10 page skimpy things we've been getting lately. I can throw a few pics up if ayone wants to see. They have a couple pages with most of the animations for the characters.. the sorceress's 'trapped' animation is very tentacle rapey looking o_O

all in all a very nice artbook, especiall compared to the weaker ones weve been getting lately. So check your local GS if you pre ordered

FYI Walmart recently updated their product pages for both versions of this game to show the artbook as a preorder bonus.  That makes Amazon, Walmart, and Gamestop that list the artbook as a bonus; Best Buy supposedly will also offer it, but their product pages still haven't been updated to explicitly list it as a bonus.

Can I get the artbook if I put $5 on it this week at Gamestop?
YMMV, but yes.

It might not be guaranteed given what Ken said above about GS having their allocation in hand already. Probably would need to ask your GS if they got any extras and if they can hold one for you.
It seems most locations have like 1 preorder and got like 5 artbooks (going off what I was told and as I posted in the preorder thread). It seems SOME locations are holding them for people that simply purchase the game, where as others are just giving them out. Odds are you can get one if you call like 3 locations, but this will ultimately be a YMMV thing. With that being said, I am surprised the book is being praised.

I'm interested whether you guys plan on getting this for ps3 or vita. I know the online community will be larger on ps3. But this seems like a great game to play on a handheld. I plan on getting it for vita personally.

That looks like a hardback going by the spine. Is it not? Can you take a picture from other angles?
Ignoring the fact I seemed surprised theirs was, no it's not and that's not how a hardcover book looks. There is depth between the spine and book cover, where as this is just an indent. Anyway, I got two other pictures laying around, so I guess I'll upload those. Not a lot more to show, since it's the same book, just a lower quality version of it.

0IRNT3F.jpg

RPj9MLs.jpg

It's a shame that we didn't get the hardcover version of this art book. Are the pages made of cheap stock admiralvic? Sounds like you're not impressed with the quality.

It's a shame that we didn't get the hardcover version of this art book. Are the pages made of cheap stock admiralvic? Sounds like you're not impressed with the quality.
I would say so. I mean, it's somewhat heavy, but not a fancy gloss (like the Japanese appears to be) or as nice as any of the other art books I have. Feels like the exact same stock as Demon Souls DX's guidebook.

I wouldn't say I am not impressed with the quality (I mean it's a free 64 page art book, what right do I have to demand something on par with a retail art book?), just that I am countering those who say it's good. Like Kenshindono above said it was actually really nice, which I just don't agree with. I've barely used mine and you can already start to see some wear on my cover. Also, for a company that gets a lot of their praise from designs, over gameplay, I sort of expected Atlus to do a little better with it.

Would have been a really good free artbook if it was hardcover. But at least it looks big compared to other bonus artbooks like the ones NISA gives out. 

I would say so. I mean, it's somewhat heavy, but not a fancy gloss (like the Japanese appears to be) or as nice as any of the other art books I have. Feels like the exact same stock as Demon Souls DX's guidebook.

I wouldn't say I am not impressed with the quality (I mean it's a free 64 page art book, what right do I have to demand something on par with a retail art book?), just that I am countering those who say it's good. Like Kenshindono above said it was actually really nice, which I just don't agree with. I've barely used mine and you can already start to see some wear on my cover. Also, for a company that gets a lot of their praise from designs, over gameplay, I sort of expected Atlus to do a little better with it.
hopefully the ink doesn't rub off like it did for the DS mini-guide.

I've a little of that, but it has a gloss coating on the cover to prevent that.
cool, but I'm sure I won't be handling it as much as I did for DS. I felt doubly bad because I was borrowing it from a friend and didn't notice it until I was about 75% through the game and that it was a couple weeks after they had their replacement program.

Thanks for the tip guys. I was able to find my old Amazon order # for $29.99 and got them to pm my Vita copy.

For those of you interested in collectibles, a 1/8 Sorceress figure has been announced: http://myfigurecollection.net/item/165734
No release date yet but likely won't be out until next year. You can follow the CAG Japanese VG Figure Thread for the latest.
There was also the 1/7 Elf and Amazon figure that was shown in prototype from Wonder Festival (which I assume was also where Sorceress was announced). For me it's Elf > Sorceress > Amazon.

I think I'm going to get this game for Vita, but my limited game time has been completely occupied by my discovery of Dota 2...that art book!

YMMV, but yes.

It seems most locations have like 1 preorder and got like 5 artbooks (going off what I was told and as I posted in the preorder thread). It seems SOME locations are holding them for people that simply purchase the game, where as others are just giving them out. Odds are you can get one if you call like 3 locations, but this will ultimately be a YMMV thing. With that being said, I am surprised the book is being praised.
Oh, wow, I thought it was bundled with it, in a bigger box or something (like the Demon's Souls one). I might try to snag one since I didn't get a physical copy for review and I'm a sucker for artbooks.

Selling the artbook. Im a statues man...

And i think i might start getting steelbooks too.

I hope not. Gotta control myself
Be prepared to spend more on steelbooks than you do on games. It's not uncommon for games to get 3-5 different steelbooks now. These are released all over the world, so you get the fun of tracking down and importing them. I love my giant steel collection, but it's a ton of hassle and a ton of expense.

Be prepared to spend more on steelbooks than you do on games. It's not uncommon for games to get 3-5 different steelbooks now. These are released all over the world, so you get the fun of tracking down and importing them. I love my giant steel collection, but it's a ton of hassle and a ton of expense.
If you are only after US steelbook it isn't so bad, but once you are trying to get oversea steelbook it will get crazy.

[quote name="Zaku77" post="10954822" timestamp="1375472500"]

Be prepared to spend more on steelbooks than you do on games. It's not uncommon for games to get 3-5 different steelbooks now. These are released all over the world, so you get the fun of tracking down and importing them. I love my giant steel collection, but it's a ton of hassle and a ton of expense.[/quote

Yeah thats what i figured, which is why im a little hesitant.

Now i dont buy a lot of games. When i do, its because they passed my extremely strict criteria lol.

Now what im curious about is; when a game has multiple steelbooks, there is always 1 thats more valuable than the rest right?

Im hopin to only get one for each game i have. Nothing crazy heh..

The ones im thinking of gettingg are:

Arkham city joker steelbook
Deus ex HR steelbook (which is rare as hell)
Skyrim steelbook
Mgs rising shinikawa
Mass effect 3

When totaled they go above $200 its insane... Thats one of the reason why im reluctant, but then again, i dont keep a lot of games. The ones above im keeping for sure and wont sell heh.. I have more games in my backlog, but these are the keepers so far heh..

[quote name="Zaku77" post="10954822" timestamp="1375472500"]

Be prepared to spend more on steelbooks than you do on games. It's not uncommon for games to get 3-5 different steelbooks now. These are released all over the world, so you get the fun of tracking down and importing them. I love my giant steel collection, but it's a ton of hassle and a ton of expense.[/quote

Yeah thats what i figured, which is why im a little hesitant.

Now i dont buy a lot of games. When i do, its because they passed my extremely strict criteria lol.

Now what im curious about is; when a game has multiple steelbooks, there is always 1 thats more valuable than the rest right?

Im hopin to only get one for each game i have. Nothing crazy heh..

The ones im thinking of gettingg are:

Arkham city joker steelbook
Deus ex HR steelbook (which is rare as hell)
Skyrim steelbook
Mgs rising shinikawa
Mass effect 3

When totaled they go above $200 its insane... Thats one of the reason why im reluctant, but then again, i dont keep a lot of games. The ones above im keeping for sure and wont sell heh.. I have more games in my backlog, but these are the keepers so far heh..
If you'd be happy getting one per game, then it really won't be a huge resource drain on you at all. The only one of those that's actually somewhat rare or pricey is the Deus Ex one. The Arkham City one will set you back a bit, though, because those were released with the game inside them, so you will likely end up buying the game with it.

Personal limits are very important. I limit myself to only buying the steels for games that I have. It just seems stupid to have steelbooks sitting around for games I don't own and don't want to own. I see many other collectors that do that, and they aren't able to keep up with them all and end up with a collection that just seems a bit odd. They become steelbook collectors instead of video game collectors. To each their own, though, I suppose.

Got my artbook today and it kind of reminds me of a graphic novel just from the look of it heh.  Stoked for Tuesday!

bread's done
Back