Pre-order Dragon's Crown ($50 PS3, $40 Vita), get a free 64-page artbook

Zonic505

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
If you pre-order Dragon's Crown from "participating stores" (most likely the ones listed on the pre-order page, such as Amazon, GameStop, etc.), you'll get a free 64-page artbook:

frys_01.png

walmart_01.png

dragons_crown.jpg

The book includes illustrations of the characters, environments, and commissions from artists Akira Yasuda (Darkstalkers, Marvel vs. Capcom), Kinu Nishimura (Code of Princess, Virtue’s Last Reward), and Gouda Cheese AKA BENGUS (Super Street Fighter II, Darkstalkers).

The game will be available August 10th. Important thing to note is that you can only play online with people who have it for the same system you do, so you can't go online with your Vita to play with PS3 owners & vice versa. However, you can still transfer your saves if you own both versions of the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant wait for this game to arrive. It has been a long time coming since they first announced it. The art book looks great!

No. I posted some pictures of it earlier. It also seems to use cheaper paper than the Japanese version.
I can confirm the paper used is sort of crap. For a first print freebie it's nice, but I doubt it'll withstand multiple readings. It's nice to see an actual US letter sized book and not a leaflet designed to fit in the game case or the size of the game case.

That having been said, I can imagine a lot of people getting beat up copies. They could have at least shrinkwrapped it.

Late to the party but I think I'll swing by Gamestop tomorrow and pre-order a copy after all the positive reviews. Be a busy week with Dragon's Crown, Tales of Xillia then Dream Team next Sunday.

I know this question is going to start something, but I'll ask anyway. Which will be the rarer one down the line: PS3 or Vita? I'm thinking of pre-ordering the Vita version because I can play it while watching TV plus I like to support these kinds of games. Also, Vita needs physical software sales. I'm thinking that developers may not release these types of games for Vita if people don't buy them.

I know this question is going to start something, but I'll ask anyway. Which will be the rarer one down the line: PS3 or Vita? I'm thinking of pre-ordering the Vita version because I can play it while watching TV plus I like to support these kinds of games. Also, Vita needs physical software sales. I'm thinking that developers may not release these types of games for Vita if people don't buy them.
Depends on what your definition of rare is. If it's just straight up copies, then Vita hands down. If it takes off and people buy the PS3 version, it could end up being rare based on demand.

My take is that if you're on the fence, go with the Vita based on your reasoning that the Vita needs to be supported. You know the PS3 will be replaced and the Vita will hopefully be around and supported for a while. I don't look at any games being rare so I just get whatever is on sale for the consoles I have. For games on multiple formats, it mainly depends on the game and CAG feedback. I'll be getting Dragon's Crown for the Vita.

I can confirm the paper used is sort of crap. For a first print freebie it's nice, but I doubt it'll withstand multiple readings. It's nice to see an actual US letter sized book and not a leaflet designed to fit in the game case or the size of the game case.

That having been said, I can imagine a lot of people getting beat up copies. They could have at least shrinkwrapped it.
I agree. Mine already had fuzzy corners when I got it and it got worse just taking it home.

Um, this is ridiculous, but did anyone pre-order this game from Newegg way back when they had a $10 off $39.99+ coupon last year?

Out of the blue, they just sent me an e-mail cancelling my pre-order for no reason.  Has anyone had Newegg just flat-out cancel a pre-order?

Um, this is ridiculous, but did anyone pre-order this game from Newegg way back when they had a $10 off $39.99+ coupon last year?

Out of the blue, they just sent me an e-mail cancelling my pre-order for no reason. Has anyone had Newegg just flat-out cancel a pre-order?

What was their reason?

I've had them put a pending charge on my card for a preorder that was getting processed to ship and then say the billing information was incorrect (despite the pending charge going through) and cancel an order that way when in reality they were cancelling because I ordered too many or they didn't have enough stock

I placed the pre-order exactly 1 year ago. Does this mean that after a year, a pre-order gets cancelled? That's bullshit!

EDIT:

Here was my chatlog showing how Newegg is absolutely stuck in the dark ages compared to Amazon:

(Newegg Support): Hi, my name is (Newegg Support). How may I help you?
JazzFlight: Hi, I was sent an e-mail saying that my pre-order #[------] was just cancelled. I never requested this pre-order to be cancelled and had a $10 discount coupon applied to it from a year ago. I would like this order to be reinstated please.
(Newegg Support): Thank you for providing me with that information. I truly apologize for any inconvenience you have endured. I assure you I will do my best to resolve this issue, JazzFlight. May I please place you on hold while I look into this for you?
JazzFlight: ok
(Newegg Support): Thank you so much for your patience. I just need a little more time to research this for you. May I place you on hold for just another moment?
JazzFlight: ok
(Newegg Support): Thank you for holding. We show this preorder was cancelled by our system. There is no exact reason offered. Please kindly note that once an order is cancelled, it cannot be reinstated. We apologize for this inconvenience. In this case, we advise you could just reorder it online. We could issue you a $ 10 discount.
JazzFlight: Yeah, it seems like it was a computer error. I notice I placed the order exactly 1 year ago. I don't know if it's Newegg policy to cancel pre-orders after a year. If so, I have several other pre-orders on my account and I hope they do not get automatically cancelled as well.
JazzFlight: I can place another order if you let me know how to ask for the $10 discount.
(Newegg Support): I will leave a note under your account. Once your pre order is transfer to a normal order and invoiced, please feel free to contact us back we will issue the $10 discount for you.
(Newegg Support): transferred*
JazzFlight: I could order it right now, would you be able to issue the discount in about 5 minutes?
JazzFlight: there, it's pre-order #[--------] (new number)
(Newegg Support): I am sorry. Please kindly note that we could only issue you the discount once the pre order transferred, since we haven't charged you when your order was not transferred.
(Newegg Support): We apologize for the inconvenience.
JazzFlight: how exactly will this work, do I get a refund on my credit card?
JazzFlight: the game comes out in about 3 days, so it'll happen pretty soon
(Newegg Support): I will leave a note under your account. Yes, once your order is invoiced, we will issue you a $ 10 credit to your original payment method.
JazzFlight: I'm trusting Newegg here to honor the credit since I have to buy the game at full-price first, so I'll hold on to this chat transcript. Thank you very much for your assistance.
(Newegg Support): You are welcome. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
JazzFlight: No, that should be all. Thanks again.

Out of the blue, they just sent me an e-mail cancelling my pre-order for no reason. Has anyone had Newegg just flat-out cancel a pre-order?
It's was a couple years ago, but I had the same experience with Newegg with the Dark Souls CE. I had a CE preorder placed for several months and the weekend it was supposed to ship is when they sent a cancellation notice. I was pretty well fed up with Newegg, though they did provide a $10 credit for the inconvenience. AFAIK, they simply didn't receive any CEs and that might be the case here with the Dragon's Crown game and/or art book.

I still use Newegg for standard edition games but I won't mess with them for CEs or preorder bonuses.

Vita, but rarity means absolutely nothing. Like I would say Silent Hill Book of Memories is a rare title (I rarely see it anywhere), yet the copies still made it to $15 or less dollar clearance. The thing / truth is that the Vita version is something people would prefer digitally, so even if there were only say 60,000 Vita versions out there, they would still sell fairly poorly / not go up in value. Also both games will be offered digitally, so again, rarity is moot.

I agree. Mine already had fuzzy corners when I got it and it got worse just taking it home.
Told ya.

Not really. A lot of people reported issues with this game (and the $30 dollar price) and Newegg canceling their order. Complaining might get you credit, but at least you still have time to get it from say Amazon with the preorder item.

Thanks for the insight, guys. It is possible that the description changed over the year, no longer matching to the latest Vita game UPC they had on file. The original pre-order was listed as "[SIZE=12pt]IGNITION DRAGON'S CROWN PSVITA" (UTV Ignition was the original publisher before Atlus took it over).[/SIZE]

Even so, Newegg is such a freaking headache in terms of support compared to Amazon. Amazon bends over backwards for you.

One time the mail couldn't deliver a game from Newegg and it got sent back to them in CA. Then they ran out of stock of the game and said they couldn't send a replacement and wouldn't refund me the money until several weeks of lost mail investigation was done (and by this point it was over a month since I placed the order and THE MAIL TRACKING SHOWED THAT IT WAS DELIVERED BACK TO THEM). It took a while on the phone, escalating it to several managers before they relented and refunded my money.

EDIT:

Not really. A lot of people reported issues with this game (and the $30 dollar price) and Newegg canceling their order. Complaining might get you credit, but at least you still have time to get it from say Amazon with the preorder item.
I don't get taxed for Newegg purchases, so $30 vs. ~$43.50 on Amazon just to get an art-book I'll look at once isn't really worth it. I'm even buying the PS3 version from Newegg at $38 after discount, too.

canceled my newegg preorder cause there's still no mention of the artbook, paying $3 more on Amazon but I don't want to take a chance with newegg after I got screwed on Project X Zone

Just a heads up, if you are going to pre-order at GameStop and want the artbook make sure to ask if the artbook is still guaranteed. We were sent the artbooks about a week ago and got just enough to cover the amount of pre-orders we had at the time.

for those who want this on release date with artbook, you might want to check bestbuy, because they are offering the game with artbook for first run copies/ preorders.

Just a heads up, if you are going to pre-order at GameStop and want the artbook make sure to ask if the artbook is still guaranteed. We were sent the artbooks about a week ago and got just enough to cover the amount of pre-orders we had at the time.
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up just grabbing it from amazon. I'm guessing they will ship with the art book since the description on the site says comes with 64 page book...

Just curious... it would help me recoup the money I put into the game. We are so close to the next generation I am trying to have enough funds for launch.
That's quite the research.
Cause this all matters so much. :roll:

Lets not forget that at least four retailers (GameStop, BestBuy, Play-Asia and Amazon) are giving this art book away and I can confirm two GS's near me had more art books than preorders. Combine this with the fact the Japanese also got this art book (higher quality though) and several people (myself included) have noted it's cheap. There is also the matter of the preorder page mentioning the artbook and showing Newegg / Frys / Target / VGP as places to preorder, which leads me to believe they will appear there too. This probably won't come as a shock to anyone, since these places have a history (Yes! Even Newegg) of getting preorder items from Atlus. Would love to be proven wrong, but every piece of data says this thing will be common.

Also keep in mind that the quality of the paper stock is low and it's not wrapped or anything. It's not an amazing rare collector's item.

I'm pretty sure anyone who buys this thinking they'll get a million dollars for the artbook on eBay will be sadly disappointed. I would hazard the guess that if someone wanted the book, they know about the game and are interested -- which means they would already be getting the book with their purchase of the game.

I have the same order and I have not yet recieved any cancellation. I hope this isn't going to be the case, most likely going to try and pre-order a copy at gamestop tomorrow if i'm guaranteed the artbook.

for those who want this on release date with artbook, you might want to check bestbuy, because they are offering the game with artbook for first run copies/ preorders.
Tried to pre-order DC from Best Buy's site when I pre-ordered ToX but there was no in-store pickup option for DC. Guess I'll take my chances with just picking it up off the shelf at Best Buy and asking if they have any extra books. Not that big a deal either way really since it would just collect dust on the shelf after I look at it once.

i've had newegg cancel my orders like you, it is because the system cancels it after 1 year. The date was August 3rd 2012 I placed the preorder they canceled it on August 4th 2013.

I haven't bothered calling i'm sure if you did they could give you a discount if you placed the order again, but I don't know. I don't care enough for $10 i'll buy it somewhere else.

Welp, they just cancelled my Dragon's crown order. Time to throw a fit at customer service.

Edit: Well they offered me a a $10 credit after I receive the game, so I guess that's ok. I'll just be waiting a little longer since it's a slower shipping speed but I'll live for $10 off.

Cause this all matters so much. :roll:
I just thought it was funny that every thread, every preorder bonus, every CE has CAGs building a case for why something will or will not be rare. Now that you doubled your research base with two Gamestops, I withdraw my snarky comment.

Yeah, that was anecdotal evidence to the freakin' nth degree. I also enjoy when people will argue a fact/point/etc, but then when they are called out on a mistake in their own thought process they say the whole thing doesn't matter and is stupid lol. 

I just thought it was funny that every thread, every preorder bonus, every CE has CAGs building a case for why something will or will not be rare. Now that you doubled your research base with two Gamestops, I withdraw my snarky comment.
I to a degree agree, but only because people use the term rare in place of valuable (One doesn't always lead to the other).

---edit---

Flash Strife makes it 3! GameStops.

Called a Gamestop nearby and from what the employee said it sounds like GS is getting a bunch of artbooks for people buying the game, meaning that it's not just for the pre-orders and is more like a "first print" kind of thing.

They wouldn't give me an artbook. Said those who order had to wait to release day to get it with the game so I guess that store is strict about giving bonuses away before release day. Only 1 more day to go so no big deal.

Tried to pre-order DC from Best Buy's site when I pre-ordered ToX but there was no in-store pickup option for DC. Guess I'll take my chances with just picking it up off the shelf at Best Buy and asking if they have any extra books. Not that big a deal either way really since it would just collect dust on the shelf after I look at it once.
I'm pretty sure the only copies Best Buy are getting are preorder copies that were preordered months ago. I don't see any coming into my store....unless they surprise ship them tomorrow.

bread's done
Back