PSN has returned. What freebie games are you getting?

from the ps blog:
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th. Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience. We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.

[quote name='Logain8955']Had a guy trade in his PS3, his brand new Socom, and all his games and accessories over this issue.

Personally, I just want Arcana Heart already, damnit.[/QUOTE]
Damn. Apparently gamers this gen don't know what SINGLE PLAYER games are. Most games have those modes, except for ones like MAG/Warhawk/etc that's all online mp ONLY.
[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']People are so impatient. Videogamers are the absolute worst when it comes to this stuff. They demand stuff left and right with insane expectations. If someone seriously traded in their system over this, that person is messed up in the head. All I can keep visioning is nerds raging that they can't play their Call of Dutyz. (I do play Call of Duty and other online games, but it isn't my existence like some people I know).

As a gamer who uses PSN every single day, I am fine with the outage. Surprisingly, there are other things in my life I can do :lol: I guess other people can't say the same? I just don't get where this rage is coming from I guess.[/QUOTE]
My internet is still ok, so as long as that's alright I can just sit here researching shit on the internet and watching YouTube videos if I get bored. If I really get bored though, there's always teh pronz.:applause:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']I will say, his posting was completely disgusting. This guy deserves to die, end of story.[/QUOTE]
How exactly was this post disgusting, and I quote:
[quote name='anonymous']Take a break from online gaming for a while.....it will help your skills, your health, and your emotional levels, which by the way are a bit out of order if they are being shackled by the PSN being down. We have no qualms about our actions, even though it may affect fellow anonymous or supporters... we hope they understand the bigger picture.[/quote]
Read a book, play a game OFFline, go watch the above mentioned pronz and you know;), but for cripe's sake RELAX. Just cuz you can't get online to chat with your lil online friends for a day(or three) is NOT the end of the fuckin' world.:roll: Wishing someone to die(shocked you didn't say in a fire) just because the online portion of your PS3's functionality is nonexistent right now is just ridiculous.

They advertise it as 'it does everything', so go do something other than gaming on it and wait for Sony to resolve their issue(s).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. Apparently gamers this gen don't know what SINGLE PLAYER games are. Most games have those modes, except for ones like MAG/Warhawk/etc that's all online mp ONLY.

My internet is still ok, so as long as that's alright I can just sit here researching shit on the internet and watching YouTube videos if I get bored. If I really get bored though, there's always teh pronz.:applause:

Read a book, play a game OFFline, go watch the above mentioned pronz and you know;), but for cripe's sake RELAX. Just cuz you can't get online to chat with your lil online friends for a day(or three) is NOT the end of the fuckin' world.:roll: Wishing someone to die(shocked you didn't say in a fire) just because the online portion of your PS3's functionality is nonexistent right now is just ridiculous.

They advertise it as 'it does everything', so go do something other than gaming on it and wait for Sony to resolve their issue(s).[/QUOTE]

MLBtv requires I log into my PSN account. It goes into perpectual limbo whenever I open it up.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

They advertise it as 'it does everything', so go do something other than gaming on it and wait for Sony to resolve their issue(s).[/QUOTE]

I'm going to agree with TMK on this one. If I want to play PS3 online all day that's my business. Who the fuck are they to tell me I should do something else on my PS3 just because they want to send some dumbass message to Sony?

Out of all the websites on the internet this guy could have chosen to take down he picks the Playstation network? Is he trying to prove a point or something? He has the tools and knowledge to do some good in the world but instead he takes away teh portalz.

[quote name='SynGamer']Weird...I just popped in FIFA 11 for the first time and it prompted me for an update, which it just downloaded and installed. I guess the update servers are different from PSN?[/QUOTE]
They put the latest update on the disc for people that aren't able to get online to download them.

People are acting like this happens on a daily basis.Reminds me when Steam was down a day because of a storm that knocked the power out of Valve's servers.People were going apeshit acting like it was a common everyday thing.

[quote name='paddlefoot']MLBtv requires I log into my PSN account. It goes into perpectual limbo whenever I open it up.[/QUOTE]
Well then try something ELSE, something that doesn't require signing into PSN to do. People are acting like this is such a huge deal. Sony wants to obviously secure their network BEFORE bringing it back up.
[quote name='whoknows']I'm going to agree with TMK on this one. If I want to play PS3 online all day that's my business. Who the fuck are they to tell me I should do something else on my PS3 just because they want to send some dumbass message to Sony?[/QUOTE]
So you're another one wishing someone to die because they took away your online gaming?:roll: What did you do two gens ago when there wasn't online gaming save for on PC's?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
So you're another one wishing someone to die because they took away your online gaming?:roll: What did you do two gens ago when there wasn't online gaming save for on PC's?[/QUOTE]

That's right. I'm not a big online gamer by any means, I mostly play single player games, but what they're doing is stupid, yet I'm sure they think they're doing it for a good, meaningful reason, so fuck them.

Or kill them. Whatever.

[quote name='KingBroly']After looking at that I should go back to Demon's Souls since the servers are down. I wish I could play the game online without interference from others. That'd be ideal for me.[/QUOTE]
Just play in soul form when you don't want to be hassled, that's what I did. You have less health (only 25% less with a cling ring) but you do more damage. You are also much quieter which makes sneaking up on / by enemies much easier. In areas like the Shrine of Storms it can be the difference between 1 skeleton rolling after you and 3 skeletons rolling after you.

Outage hasn't affected me much at all since I've been playing the shit out of Mass Effect 2. Played through Soldier and Adept so far, about halfway through a vanguard playthrough and so far I am not enjoying it as much as the others. Charge just doesn't have the universal utility of singularity or adrenaline boost. There are too many levels where the enemies are too bunched together to use charge without it being a death sentence.

Sony released a statement. Basically Sony discovered (or suspected) people were poking around in their servers. Freaking out, they flip the PSN switch to "OFF" while they think about what they can do. Who knows if those guys poking around would have even been able to do anything. But I guess better safe than sorry.

But basically this tells us Sony is why PSN is down and they're why it's staying down, so it's just the matter of when they're comfortable with turning it back on.

I really didn't care about this issue, until I found out I needed to be online to activate Portal 2 on Steam.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Watch PSN come back as a PSN+ or nothing at all service after this 'outage'.[/QUOTE]

dude seriously its enough already. if you hate sony and everything they do so much stop buying their shit. play wii or xbox games or just go to pc games altogether. the amount of hate you spew out about sony borders on freakin insanity why be so miserable when you can just stop buying their products and move on?

[quote name='FroMann']I really didn't care about this issue, until I found out I needed to be online to activate Portal 2 on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Your surprised that you need to be online to activate an online downloadable service that is linked to your PSN account and tracks when your logged in, wow.

If you already linked the 2, you can just go on Steam and input the code to download it.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Just play in soul form when you don't want to be hassled, that's what I did. You have less health (only 25% less with a cling ring) but you do more damage. You are also much quieter which makes sneaking up on / by enemies much easier. In areas like the Shrine of Storms it can be the difference between 1 skeleton rolling after you and 3 skeletons rolling after you.

Outage hasn't affected me much at all since I've been playing the shit out of Mass Effect 2. Played through Soldier and Adept so far, about halfway through a vanguard playthrough and so far I am not enjoying it as much as the others. Charge just doesn't have the universal utility of singularity or adrenaline boost. There are too many levels where the enemies are too bunched together to use charge without it being a death sentence.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know Soul Form is the way a lot of people want to play, but dying in order to play a game by myself...kinda odd. I think you know where I'm stuck, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since you got Platinum in it. I just need to figure out how to get Magic back so I can exit out of the level.

For me though...I'll just B-spec GT5 some more and try to finish up Monkey Island 2 on 360.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Watch PSN come back as a PSN+ or nothing at all service after this 'outage'.[/QUOTE]

Cheapest, I mean this respectfully, but do you have nothing better to do with your life but troll the Sony topics on this board? Every single one of your responses is anti Sony this, fuck Sony that. It's getting old as others have mentioned.

If you hate Sony so much, go play elsewhere. No one on here gives two shits that you think their console was over priced initially, or that PSN+ is a ripoff, or whatever rant you're on this week.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Damn. Apparently gamers this gen don't know what SINGLE PLAYER games are. Most games have those modes, except for ones like MAG/Warhawk/etc that's all online mp ONLY.

Eh, guy did it on purpose, so I can understand why people wish ill will on the guy. Is it the end of the world? No, but it is something that people paid for when they bought the system, so they have the right to be pissed off.

[quote name='lokizz']dude seriously its enough already. if you hate sony and everything they do so much stop buying their shit. play wii or xbox games or just go to pc games altogether. the amount of hate you spew out about sony borders on freakin insanity why be so miserable when you can just stop buying their products and move on?[/QUOTE]
[quote name='mtxbass1']Cheapest, I mean this respectfully, but do you have nothing better to do with your life but troll the Sony topics on this board? Every single one of your responses is anti Sony this, fuck Sony that. It's getting old as others have mentioned.

If you hate Sony so much, go play elsewhere. No one on here gives two shits that you think their console was over priced initially, or that PSN+ is a ripoff, or whatever rant you're on this week.[/QUOTE]
As I've said before, I like the reliability of the PS3 compared to the 360 and if the Wii would actually have something other than 90% E to T rated games and something I'd want to play(and had internal rechargable batteries for their controllers), then I would've bought either one of those versus a PS3.

As for PC games, I hate hate HATE the idea of having to tweak specs just to play the latest and greatest and that's why I stopped trying to game on a PC in 2001. Plus I can't stand the mouse/keyboard combo as that just makes my fingers cramp up after an extended play session.

But also, as I've said before, I don't buy a console for the 'brand' I buy it for the GAMES. So if there's something that I want to play on a system, then I'll buy it. Just as you guys can't understand all my hate towards Sony, I can't fathom why people seem to be so offended by said hate.

[quote name='FroMann']I really didn't care about this issue, until I found out I needed to be online to activate Portal 2 on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? Oh man it is dragon age origins all over again.

[quote name='JMEPO']Out of all the websites on the internet this guy could have chosen to take down he picks the Playstation network? Is he trying to prove a point or something? He has the tools and knowledge to do some good in the world but instead he takes away teh portalz.[/QUOTE]

If someone like Facebook, Google or Microsoft offered him a job that paid $250,000 a year, this wouldn't happen. This is someone who has no cash and no purpose in life.

After listening to the retro gamescoop podcast on IGN yesterday, I really wanted to come home and download Castlevania: SOTN to my psp. Now I guess I'll HAVE to hack it and put it on illegally. Just kidding of course.

I can't remember the last time I played multiplayer, but I would like to be able to do co-op and the first thing I do when I turn on my playstation is see what people are playing, and I miss that already.

I really hope this gets fixed soon. I am also planning on taking off my credit card information from my system. Now that amazon has PSN money, it isn't a hassle to go get the card, and it seems safer that way. I trust amazon with my CC info a bit more than Sony right now.

[quote name='oasisboy']Live > PSN[/QUOTE]

Yeah brah.

If PSN was a pay for service like Live things like this would never happen.

I think PSN should become a subscription service. Who's with me?

Sony is acting like any other company should if they have a good reason to believe there is an external compromise. The biggest issue is the lack of any communication. When you have millions of customers, communication is critical.

I will let my mind wonder for a moment and think of an army of PS3 botnets, all compromised from the inside. I am in no way suggesting that is what is happening, but if that is far easier if you have access to the PSN.

To all the people wanting a free game out of this. I know, a whole two days. We as ps3 owners will be getting something new, but it won't be a game. It'll be free though.

And that free item will be a mandatory firmware update that does absolutely nothing new or doesn't tweak and previous things on the console. Just more security measures boring you to death while you wait for the update to finish.

So sit back, relax and enjoy your soon to be free mandatory firmware update!

[quote name='oasisboy']Live > PSN[/QUOTE]

One of the biggest reasons why I love Joystiq is those total douche comments that add zero input to the discussion and only cause more frustration can be grayed out with ease and you'll forget they're ever there.

Cool Story, btw. :roll:

I don't think there's any reason for anyone to get anything free out of this.

But people try to get whatever they can for free in life for any reason they can find. Pretty disgusting.

[quote name='JMEPO']Out of all the websites on the internet this guy could have chosen to take down he picks the Playstation network? Is he trying to prove a point or something? He has the tools and knowledge to do some good in the world but instead he takes away teh portalz.[/QUOTE]

Don't give those guys/gals too much credits. It's not that hard to do, it sounds high tech because most of us don't live our lives specializing such skills. Think about it, thieves steal diamonds and million dollar paintings, we sort of fascinated by how they pull the heists off, but do we actually bother to learn how to do it? No, because most of us know right and wrong :lol:

This is no different from someone picking up a brick and throw it at the windows of a jewelry store. Most people don't have the urge or need to do it. It's one thing to make a statement, but to throw such brick behind masks and run away in the process, just plain boredom.

[quote name='Serpentor']Don't give those guys/gals too much credits. It's not that hard to do, it sounds high tech because most of us don't live our lives specializing such skills. Think about it, thieves steal diamonds and million dollar paintings, we sort of fascinated by how they pull the heists off, but do we actually bother to learn how to do it? No, because most of us know right and wrong :lol:

This is no different from someone picking up a brick and throw it at the windows of a jewelry store. Most people don't have the urge or need to do it. It's one thing to make a statement, but to throw such brick behind masks and run away in the process, just plain boredom.[/QUOTE]

I will call BS on your statement. 10 years ago when no one was patching it was trivial to hack something, especially if you were to have today's tools. However we are talking here about hacking into a proprietary network system. I am sure it is running off of servers that everyone may have access to, and maybe that is what was exploited here to gain access. I would argue that the PSN itself is proprietary and if someone exploited something there to gain access, it was someone with some decent knowledge and skills. While it is out there, I am fairly certain that no one has the PSN code floating around at home on a VM to play with for this sort of thing.

Forensics is a straight forward process with rules to follow. So, if this was a trivial server hack or exploitation, I believe that the PSN would be back up by now. Actually, you might put the systems back up and log everything looking for the people to try to exploit it again while doing your diagnostics of the data. All of this leads me to believe someone found something to exploit in the PSN code itself. Probably not trivial nor something you and your friends could do, at least not without leaving your fingerprints all over the place. Doesn't seem like these people did that.

Feel free to laugh at anything my iPad autocorrected.

[quote name='jmbreci']I will call BS on your statement. 10 years ago when no one was patching it was trivial to hack something, especially if you were to have today's tools. However we are talking here about hacking into a proprietary network system. I am sure it is running off of servers that everyone may have access to, and maybe that is what was exploited here to gain access. I would argue that the PSN itself is proprietary and if someone exploited something there to gain access, it was someone with some decent knowledge and skills. While it is out there, I am fairly certain that no one has the PSN code floating around at home on a VM to play with for this sort of thing.

Forensics is a straight forward process with rules to follow. So, if this was a trivial server hack or exploitation, I believe that the PSN would be back up by now. Actually, you might put the systems back up and log everything looking for the people to try to exploit it again while doing your diagnostics of the data. All of this leads me to believe someone found something to exploit in the PSN code itself. Probably not trivial nor something you and your friends could do, at least not without leaving your fingerprints all over the place. Doesn't seem like these people did that.

Feel free to laugh at anything my iPad autocorrected.[/QUOTE]

Sigh, missing my points completely... Yes, it takes some knowledge to do that, but it's not something some of us cannot do. WE JUST CHOOSE NOT TO DO IT because it's wrong. There are tons of people with high tech skills, but it's not in their interest to do so. Why? Because most people have the maturity gene, duh.

You can say craps about 10 years ago we don't have this and that... Well, the thing with cyber skills/weapons/accessories, it go both ways. Just because the protective side is beefed up, it doesn't mean the offensive side has no tricks in its sleeves. You said it yourself, you got an iPad, people don't have that 10 years ago. Do you know how vulnerable is the iPad?

[quote name='whoknows']Yeah brah.

If PSN was a pay for service like Live things like this would never happen.

I think PSN should become a subscription service. Who's with me?[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, this is what a foolish Gamestop employee was saying yesterday while I was trying out a 3DS. One of the clerks there was helping a family decide rather to buy a PSN card or a XBLA card. He said "It really depends on what you wanna do, but I would go with Xbox Live. It costs money to use Xbox Live, but that's why it's good, they have people actually getting paid and keeping the thing running. PSN is free but it's been offline for 2 days now because they have no one working on it as they don't get paid. It goes down all the time."

So, I guess PSN runs itself or the employees work for free. THE MORE YOU KNOW~

[/shamelesscopypastafromanotherforumIpostedthisat]

Any news on whether credit card info is secure or not? I'll be religiously checking my bank account until PSN goes live again.

After that, I think I'm going to take off my info. Before, buying cards was a pain in the ass, but with amazon offering them instantly, it will be a much more secure way to operate.

Also, any word on if/how trophies will sync up after? I'm assuming this won't be an issue and we'll all be able to sync easily, but I'm just curious considering the fact that I'm spending the next day and a half burning through the rest of portal 2, arkham asylum, and borderlands.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Believe it or not, this is what a foolish Gamestop employee was saying yesterday while I was trying out a 3DS. One of the clerks there was helping a family decide rather to buy a PSN card or a XBLA card. He said "It really depends on what you wanna do, but I would go with Xbox Live. It costs money to use Xbox Live, but that's why it's good, they have people actually getting paid and keeping the thing running. PSN is free but it's been offline for 2 days now because they have no one working on it as they don't get paid. It goes down all the time."

So, I guess PSN runs itself or the employees work for free. THE MORE YOU KNOW~

[/shamelesscopypastafromanotherforumIpostedthisat][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm f-ing tired of hearing this too. It's like people credit XBL for being a subscription service. I'm more than satisfied with PSN, and it's a huge plus that it's free. This could happen to XBL just the same as PSN. In fact it's a miracle that XBL isn't worse with hacking and theft given Microsoft's track record with security.

Oh well, I guess this will teach Sony and other companies not to have anything to do with Linux--you end up getting burned.

[quote name='Serpentor']Sigh, missing my points completely... Yes, it takes some knowledge to do that, but it's not something some of us cannot do. WE JUST CHOOSE NOT TO DO IT because it's wrong. There are tons of people with high tech skills, but it's not in their interest to do so. Why? Because most people have the maturity gene, duh.

You can say craps about 10 years ago we don't have this and that... Well, the thing with cyber skills/weapons/accessories, it go both ways. Just because the protective side is beefed up, it doesn't mean the offensive side has no tricks in its sleeves. You said it yourself, you got an iPad, people don't have that 10 years ago. Do you know how vulnerable is the iPad?[/QUOTE]

I am not missing your point at all, as you originally said it was easy to do. This wasn't a script kiddie pointing a gun and a pulling the trigger. What you are going is talking about ethics and motivation and somehow thinking those correlate with capabilities. If it violates your core ethics, you will not do it. Even if it does not violate your ethics, without sufficient motivation you will not do it either.

Now, to my iPad, do I really care how vulnerable it is or how vulnerable mine is in the environment I use it in?

You are completely wrong on who has the advantage. The attacker definitely does. They will take the million misses for a single hit. That is what they live for. However a single incident can ruin a perfectly good defensive strategy. Infinite time will almost always beat limited resources. Want to secure your system? Disable all network capable devices in all of your electronics. Actually, it would be better if you just never used them and incinerated all of them. That is the only 100% way to ensure your systems are not compromised in today's world.

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I'm f-ing tired of hearing this too. It's like people credit XBL for being a subscription service. I'm more than satisfied with PSN, and it's a huge plus that it's free. This could happen to XBL just the same as PSN. In fact it's a miracle that XBL isn't worse with hacking and theft given Microsoft's track record with security.

Oh well, I guess this will teach Sony and other companies not to have anything to do with Linux--you end up getting burned.[/QUOTE]

Now wait a second. Lets not get hasty here. There is nothing wrong with Linux. Their distros are the most stable and reliable OS' out there compared to Windows 7 and whatever Mac throws up this year. A lot of companies use Linux as their severs, because of it's stability. Even if your a home owner and console gaming is your preferred choice and don't worry about PC gaming (Or decent at running Wine ;)), Linux is the best choice. Hardly ever crashes, no viruses or spyware, boots up faster and is more capable of handling several projects without having 4+ gigs of memory because Windows 7 eats up more resources than a fat man at a Chinese buffet.

Maybe this'll teach Sony for removing something they had on the console, if that's what you're referring to, then that's your opinion. But don't bring the penguin into this one. He's a cool bird, in my opinion. :cool:

[quote name='dabamus']Is there ANY proof that it's anon this time around?[/QUOTE]

Seems like Sony will be using the "hacker" excuse any time PSN has issues from now on.

[quote name='GTmaster39']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/22/update-on-playstation-network-qriocity-services/

I think they're gonna stick with the hacker excuse this time. Thats 3 times now that they've changed their story.

Between the EU blog posts and the US blog posts, I have no fucking clue whats going on.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I haven't followed close enough, but how did they change their story 3 times?

As far as I recall:

1.) They acknowledged that people are experiencing downtime with PSN
2.) They took down PSN for everyone and put up a maintenance message while they looked for the reason for the intermittent service
3.) They acknowledged that the initial downtime was due to an external intrusion and put the service into maintenance to find and resolve the issue.

There are no conflicts with any of those. It's a logical conclusion from one to the other in fact. I don't get how you can be so confused either. It's all written in plain English

Basically Anonymous or some other culprit hacked into PSN, either hammering the system, or some other exploit. This caused initial service outages for some but not all PSN users (I didn't get affected initially but others did). Sony discovered this, and shut it all down to get the issue fixed.

bread's done
Back