PSN in October: Spend $100 Get $20 Back

jwk94

CAGiversary!
Just as the title says, starting in October, if you spend $100+ on the PlayStation Store, you'll receive $20 back credited to your PSN Wallet. Pretty good deal. What are you guys going to get? Thinking about getting the folllowing:

Okami HD - $20
Tokyo Jungle (how is this by the way?) - $15
NFS: MW - $54

and one more game that I can't think of right now lol.

PSN in October: Spend $100 and Get $20 in Return

blog post http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/01/big-savings-buy-100-on-psn-in-october-get-20-psn-credit/

Last edited by a moderator:
They sure as hell picked an awesome month for this promo. I'll be getting One Piece for sure on Monday (Despite the glitch not being fixed....), Sonic Adventure 2 and possibly Nights on Tuesday, and Okami and Dark Souls DLC later this month.

I'm sure theres plenty of other stuff coming out I'll want too, like DoA5 DLC and LBP Vita stuff

Damn it, I just added two of my Langers cards as well. :( Boo!
Anyway, I guess I'll use my Best Buy Rewards to get $100 word of PSN money, input that into my wallet and get a bonus $20. Not too bad I suppose?

Is there any notification that you've accomplished the requirements or do you just wait until September to find out?

[quote name='Chocoburger']Damn it, I just added two of my Langers cards as well. :( Boo!
Anyway, I guess I'll use my Best Buy Rewards to get $100 word of PSN money, input that into my wallet and get a bonus $20. Not too bad I suppose?

Is there any notification that you've accomplished the requirements or do you just wait until September to find out?[/QUOTE]

if you haven't spent the money from the Langers cards then you don't have to worry

the spend $100 and get $20 back doesn't count money being added to your PSN wallet, you have to actually buy something off the store

I'm glad I didn't buy DOA5 the day it went up for download. I'll be downloading that some time in October.

Now to find $40 worth of other games/content to buy; hopefully there are some good deals for PS+.

[quote name='buckythekat']if you haven't spent the money from the Langers cards then you don't have to worry

the spend $100 and get $20 back doesn't count money being added to your PSN wallet, you have to actually buy something off the store[/QUOTE]
Hmm, now I'm confused, because you and Draknight are stating different things. He said just adding funds to the PSN account will count, you don't actually have to buy anything with it.

Can anyone confirm either way or are we all just guessing? Maybe one of us should call Sony and find out for sure?

[quote name='Chocoburger']Hmm, now I'm confused, because you and Draknight are stating different things. He said just adding funds to the PSN account will count, you don't actually have to buy anything with it.

Can anyone confirm either way or are we all just guessing? Maybe one of us should call Sony and find out for sure?[/QUOTE]
The email specifically says you have to "spend" $100, adding money to your wallet is not spending. PSN did the same promotion last year but it was for spend $60 get $10 back.

Additionally, users who spend $60 or more out of their PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network wallet through the month of October will get $10 back in November.
^Based on last year's promotion terms, its pretty clear you need to spend money out of your wallet.

[quote name='Chocoburger']Hmm, now I'm confused, because you and Draknight are stating different things. He said just adding funds to the PSN account will count, you don't actually have to buy anything with it.

Can anyone confirm either way or are we all just guessing? Maybe one of us should call Sony and find out for sure?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but to think that all you have to do to get $20 back is to add money to your wallet is asinine. Use your head.

So I read the email where this was advertised, and it doesn't say all that much. The $20 back is added back to the PSN wallet, right? Also, how do you know if you've qualified for the promotion after spending the $100 in October? I'm guessing you get emailed a voucher or transaction receipt, etc. at the end of the month/promo period?

My plan was to add some funds October 1 and get PS+ so I can nab Borderlands for free before the next PS Store update, so that takes care of $49.99. Then I just get to figure out what else to spend $50.01 on during the rest of the month. (Hmm, Killzone HD + Okami HD + some DLC might fit the bill nicely once those come out. Hmmmm.)

[quote name='htz']The email specifically says you have to "spend" $100, adding money to your wallet is not spending. PSN did the same promotion last year but it was for spend $60 get $10 back.

^Based on last year's promotion terms, its pretty clear you need to spend money out of your wallet.[/QUOTE]
Alright, I just wanted some verification. Hmm, I may not jump on this deal now. Oh well.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm sorry, but to think that all you have to do to get $20 back is to add money to your wallet is asinine. Use your head.[/QUOTE]
Once Sony gets your money, it's theirs forever, it's not like you can 'cash out' your PSN money and transfer it back into real life money. Once they get your money, I don't really see how it's any different whether you spend it or not, it's a done deal at that point. But obviously third parties don't make any money until you purchase something from them.

I did use my head, but thanks. :roll:

[FONT=.Helvetica NeueUI]
[quote name='MICHAE2414']My plan was to add some funds$October 1$and get PS+ so I can nab Borderlands for free before the next PS Store update, so that takes care of $49.99.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure if getting PS+ counts, so make sure before spending those $50!

Edit: Nevermind, I read, it counts.

Question:$

If I add $100 to my PS Store wallet from my credit card, and I spend them, I will be refunded $20 back to my credit card? Meaning that I spent just $80 total. Or I need to spend $100 from my wallet amount in order to get, let's say, a $20 gift card?

Please let me know, I am interested in the offer.$

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Question!

If I add $100 to my PS Store wallet from my credit card, and I spend them, I will be refunded $20 back to my credit card? Meaning that I spent just $80 total. Or I need to spend $100 from my wallet amount in order to get, let's say, a $20 gift card?

Please let me know, I am interested in the offer, thanks for reading.

[quote name='Ashlee']Question!

Please let me know, I am interested in the offer, thanks for reading.[/QUOTE]

you'll get a message in your PSN inbox that has an attachment which adds $20 to your PSN wallet

[quote name='buckythekat']you'll get a message in your PSN inbox that has an attachment which adds $20 to your PSN wallet[/QUOTE]

guh....here i was thinkin that if you add minimum $100 worth of PSN games into your cart, that $20 would be taken off when you go to checkout (basically a $20 coupon.....)

at least you cleared that mistake up..

[quote name='cargo555']guh....here i was thinkin that if you add minimum $100 worth of PSN games into your cart, that $20 would be taken off when you go to checkout (basically a $20 coupon.....)

at least you cleared that mistake up..[/QUOTE]

That would be better! but yes thanks for telling us how it will be. :D

Is this for the US PSN or the EU PSN? I'm not seeing anything about this on the US Playstation Blog. You'd think for a promotion this big, they'd have it on the front page. I hope it's for the US store though...I'll drop some serious cash if so.

Pretty sure its US since I got an email about it. That is weird how they dont have it on the ps blog though. Just in Playstation Weekly Update email from last week.

[quote name='SolidMGSnake']Pretty sure its US since I got an email about it. That is weird how they dont have it on the ps blog though. Just in Playstation Weekly Update email from last week.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure they'll make a post about it when October actually starts. Maybe in the Playstation Store Update post.

So has anyone done this yet, cause I plan on doing it right now. Wanna get One Piece, maybe get Doom, was thinking the season pass for BL2, along with Killzone and Okami.

Let me clarify a bit. My comment was in response to someone asking if the psn cards would work as oppose to a credit card. So my response was the $100 was based off of your wallet amount not the place it came from. This however was misconstrued to mean that you just have to have $100 in your psn store wallet for the discount to apply. That is not the case you still have to purchase $100 worth of items for the discount to apply. Hope this clears it up for you, and sorry for the confusion.

Thanks OP - I was not aware of this promo. Definitely buying Hell Yeah and Tokyo Jungle today. Just hope I can find....uh...$70 of worthiness...

[quote name='Draknight']Let me clarify a bit. My comment was in response to someone asking if the psn cards would work as oppose to a credit card. So my response was the $100 was based off of your wallet amount not the place it came from. This however was misconstrued to mean that you just have to have $100 in your psn store wallet for the discount to apply. That is not the case you still have to purchase $100 worth of items for the discount to apply. Hope this clears it up for you, and sorry for the confusion.[/QUOTE]
Gotcha. Hmm, not sure if there's $100 worth of stuff I want anyway. I may as well wait on price drops as it is and get stuff 70%-50% instead of rushing out and buying asap.

But NiGHTS releases tomorrow! w00t, not waiting on that one! :bouncy:

[quote name='jling84']If I buy a prepaid 1-year PSN Plus sub card in stores and redeem will that count as $50 toward the 100?[/QUOTE]

I don't think so because it won't register as money coming out of your PSN wallet.

Buy a $50 PSN card in stores, apply it to your account, then buy the PS+ subscription with that $50.

this might be perfect for me, my ps3 is almost 1-year old and i plan to purchase a $50 psn card for a 2-year extension on my warranty along with another $50 psn card to get $100/$80

sweet post, thnx.

p.s. i cannot wait for walking dead episode 4! :p

"One caveat: the credit back is limited to the first $100 you spend."

I already had a $50 in my wallet to spend, so I was thinking about going for $40 but I guess spending another $150 and getting $40 back is out of the question?

[quote name='JeanLuc Awesome']"One caveat: the credit back is limited to the first $100 you spend."

I already had a $50 in my wallet to spend, so I was thinking about going for $40 but I guess spending another $150 and getting $40 back is out of the question?[/QUOTE]

That's what that caveat would mean.

Hmmm, I might cancel my newegg preorder of Doom 3 BFG for 29.99 and get it on PSN for 36. I know its more money, but if I do that, then im almost halfway there to getting 20 back.

Thinking about using some BB credit to buy a ton of PSN cards, maybe buy LBP Vita as well as Okami and Killzone HD

[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Hmmm, I might cancel my newegg preorder of Doom 3 BFG for 29.99 and get it on PSN for 36. I know its more money, but if I do that, then im almost halfway there to getting 20 back.

Thinking about using some BB credit to buy a ton of PSN cards, maybe buy LBP Vita as well as Okami and Killzone HD[/QUOTE]

But you're giving up $7 in savings to be on the road to get $20 in savings. That's a net of $13 in savings.

I'll come right out and say it ... I am having a hard time getting $100 of stuff.

I do NOT want PS+. In fact, a 3 month sub actually makes it harder to get up to $100. Some of the games I want (Sideway, Double Dragon) are FREE w/ PS+ and that takes away from my $100 goal. Lol.

Sideway, Scarygirl, Double Dragon, Hell Yeah, Tokyo Jungle, FF13 Lighting DLC... and that is still only $63...

Papo is bad, right? ... *continues to browse PSN store*

[quote name='blinknot4']I'll come right out and say it ... I am having a hard time getting $100 of stuff.

I do NOT want PS+. In fact, a 3 month sub actually makes it harder to get up to $100. Some of the games I want (Sideway, Double Dragon) are FREE w/ PS+ and that takes away from my $100 goal. Lol.

Sideway, Scarygirl, Double Dragon, Hell Yeah, Tokyo Jungle, FF13 Lighting DLC... and that is still only $63...

Papo is bad, right? ... *continues to browse PSN store*[/QUOTE]
You do have like 30 more days, you don't have to spend $100 this week. I would get a year of ps+ then but the stuff discounted. Your logic makes no sense; spend more to save more?! Hell yeah and Tokyo jungle are both 20% off. So you're gonna spend $4 more right there to save $20? Say you like Tokyo jungle allot and want the dlc that's out now....you get get it free with ps+ or spend and $3-4. Now you're looking at spending $8 extra to get back $20

Not trying to coffee off as a jerk, just trying to explain it to ya

Can someone explain to me the appeal of Tokyo Jungle? It seems everyone is excited but all I see is bargain bin schlock. What am I missing?

[quote name='exopuppy']Can someone explain to me the appeal of Tokyo Jungle? It seems everyone is excited but all I see is bargain bin schlock. What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

The interest is how unique and different it is. Very surprising they brought this over from Japan. I can only play so many FPS and RPG games after years of gaming and countless entries. Something cool about it to me. Post apocalyptic setting that doesn't involve zombies. Zombies are way over done in every type of media these days though too. With that said, I'm currently playing shadows odd the damned, never dead, lollipop chainsaw, and Tokyo jungle. I bought battlefield and got in on the free premier upgrade, yet I enjoy these new IP's for their originality and trying something a but different.

Trying to see how many years you can get your animal to survive is addicting too; 30 years...I'm doing pretty good, 45 years...alright time to top that, 60 years....sweet lets go for 100!!

Well.... I think I just went balls out on this deal, had a $50 + $20 PSN cards, and after pondering about it for a good hour I bought:

PSN Games:
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Double Dragon Neon
Jet Set Radio
Gotham City Imposters
Dyad

DLC:
3 FFXIII-2 - Colosseum Battles
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Castlevania HoD Ch. 7-11 Stages

Total: $103.34

Oh wow, seems like some people are struggling to find $100 bucks worth of stuff. Luckily for me, I need to re-up my PSN for a year this month and also need the Borderlands 2 season pass... 80 bucks right there.

[quote name='shadowkast']You do have like 30 more days, you don't have to spend $100 this week. I would get a year of ps+ then but the stuff discounted. Your logic makes no sense; spend more to save more?! Hell yeah and Tokyo jungle are both 20% off. So you're gonna spend $4 more right there to save $20? Say you like Tokyo jungle allot and want the dlc that's out now....you get get it free with ps+ or spend and $3-4. Now you're looking at spending $8 extra to get back $20

Not trying to coffee off as a jerk, just trying to explain it to ya[/QUOTE]

You didn't "coffee off" as a jerk. But I do know how spending works. Also, the free games are not yours to keep once you quit PS+ ... So I wish those were at least a buck. I used to have PS+ , but I just couldn't keep up with all the free games. I never played 'em!

[quote name='eXiON']Well.... I think I just went balls out on this deal, had a $50 + $20 PSN cards, and after pondering about it for a good hour I bought:

PSN Games:
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Double Dragon Neon
Jet Set Radio
Gotham City Imposters
Dyad

DLC:
3 FFXIII-2 - Colosseum Battles
Mass Effect 3: Leviathan
Castlevania HoD Ch. 7-11 Stages

Total: $103.34[/QUOTE]

DO NOT get Gotham City Imposters! The online community is pretty much dead in this game. Might as well flush $15 down the toilet.

[quote name='blinknot4']Thanks OP - I was not aware of this promo. Definitely buying Hell Yeah and Tokyo Jungle today. Just hope I can find....uh...$70 of worthiness...[/QUOTE]
No problem bro, we're always here to help!

[quote name='blinknot4']I'll come right out and say it ... I am having a hard time getting $100 of stuff.

Papo is bad, right? ... *continues to browse PSN store*[/QUOTE]

Get something off the day-one digitatl stuff.

I'm getting
NFS - $54.99
Tokyo Jungle (bought yesterday) - $11.99
Okami - $19.99
Starhawk Multiplayer (maybe) - $20
New Little King's Story (maybe) - $40..

I'm waiting until the month is almost over to see what else comes out, if Retro City Rampage comes out i'll get that instead of starhawk.

Knowing me, I'll probably spend $80 worth of stuff and wait for Okami HD then completely forget to buy it before the month ends. :lol:

I was worried about the exact same thing. What I plan to do is to buy $100 of stuff, and use the $20 on okami lol

So far got One Piece and the LBP T-Shirt, 45$ to go. Hoping we get some of the One Piece DLC here (Europe already got a few sets....), Dark Souls and various DLC/Sales ought to cover me though.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Is One Piece really that good? What kind of game is it?[/QUOTE]

Its a musou game. Its also pretty fan servicey, I can only recommend it if you like One Piece.

I paid $105 for the Japanese version, and will probably buy the US version if it ever goes on sale.

Its basically a Dynasty Warriors spinoff, it doesnt play EXACTLY like Dynasty Warriors which is why I like it so much. Theres only like 12 or 13 playable characters, but each one is completely unique.

Also, if your a fan of the manga (Or want to get into it), it does a pretty good job at showcasing the big moments from the story. Best DW spinoff to me outside of Gundam 3

I think i am gonna reknew plus, get marvel vs capcom origins, nights into dreams, tokyo jungle, 2 zen pinball 2 tables, and legend of dead kel dlc for kingdoms of amalur. Then buy mass effect 1 with the 20 dollar freebie.

bread's done
Back