PSP Go thread-

[quote name='Bivensra']Slow down load speed, battery life or inability to replace battery.[/QUOTE]

i suppose it would be nice to have a faster download, but that won't happen, the wifi chip doesn't support it, just use your pc. nothing wrong with my battery life.

[quote name='Malik112099']I would love to see a FW update that fixes the inability to replace a battery![/QUOTE]

you guys know what I mean. It would be nice if Sony would throw earlier adopters a bone and announce a reasonably priced replacement battery. I know that the battery can be removed b/ can you get a replacement?

Tux and Paddlefoot, thank you for the great reviews. Since the hard case is down to $13 at Amazon, I'll probably get it.

Linkinprime, I saw those clear plastic shields too. I have something like that on my DS and love it, but on this version, the plastic goes OVER the screen, so I worry about lint getting underneath and scratching.

[quote name='Bivensra']you guys know what I mean. It would be nice if Sony would throw earlier adopters a bone and announce a reasonably priced replacement battery. I know that the battery can be removed b/ can you get a replacement?[/QUOTE]

They're not going to sell replacement batteries. They will likely replace batteries for you though. The reason being that apparently the battery is covered by a sticker which, if removed/torn, will void the warranty. Sony's not likely to sell you a product which will void the warranty.

As far as replacement batteries, I don't know. They'll probably charge $50 since it's the service as well, but because of warranties my guess is they won't start charging for it for a year or so.

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']They're not going to sell replacement batteries. They will likely replace batteries for you though. The reason being that apparently the battery is covered by a sticker which, if removed/torn, will void the warranty. Sony's not likely to sell you a product which will void the warranty.

As far as replacement batteries, I don't know. They'll probably charge $50 since it's the service as well, but because of warranties my guess is they won't start charging for it for a year or so.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Tux.

[quote name='chakan'] Linkinprime, I saw those clear plastic shields too. I have something like that on my DS and love it, but on this version, the plastic goes OVER the screen, so I worry about lint getting underneath and scratching.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I hate they way they designed them. I guess the aluminum ones are the way to go. I may pick one up...still debating.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah, I hate they way they designed them. I guess the aluminum ones are the way to go. I may pick one up...still debating.[/QUOTE]
do it and let us know how they are. im sure its not as awesome as one would want.

[quote name='orntar']do it and let us know how they are. im sure its not as awesome as one would want.[/QUOTE]

They come from Hong Kong, and they are super cheap, which means

A: Super thin/cheap material
and/or
B: Won't fit properly

:lol: I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig here.

[quote name='Malik112099']what the hell is this for?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24429[/QUOTE]

sku_24429_7.jpg

:rofl: The PSP Go is bigger than the chair in that pic.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']They come from Hong Kong, and they are super cheap, which means

A: Super thin/cheap material
and/or
B: Won't fit properly

:lol: I was hoping someone else would be the guinea pig here.[/QUOTE]

maybe i will then.

then give it away in a contest, i don't really want one long term.

is there any way to reorganize the dame game list?

i mean, i only have like 6 games, but what about when i have 12, or 20?

there needs to be a way to organize it all.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Isn't it like the PS3? Press triangle to see if there are sorting options.[/QUOTE]
nope, you can only sort by expiration date. pretty useless.

I got a 3000. Only thing I hate is that I can only have one account on it at a time. I have like 30 import games from Hong Kong and Japan and I can only have one region at a time. I basically keep to my us account because of this.

[quote name='orntar']nope, you can only sort by expiration date. pretty useless.[/QUOTE]

Hey Orntar I am asking you this question b/c you have been vocal on the chat. As I have said in the past I have a 1000 and 2000 and just received my Go yesterday b/ still working so I have not opened it. Can I download/upload my movies to the Go or do I have to purchase them from the Playstation Network? I ask b/c DVDs like Wolverine have a digital copy so I was wondering if I have to repurchase the movie from the network which would really suck. Thanks in advance from anybody who can answer the question. Also I see that Myst, Super Stardust, Unbound Saga and Brain Challenge are on sale, are any of them worth the 5 bucks asking price. Apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum to ask these questions.

Just came back from a weekend trip to NYC and I am very happy with the PSP Go.

Great portability (fit easily in my jean pocket) + "Anywhere Pause Feature" = Great on-the-go entertainment.

And I'm extremely addicted to Puzzle Quest.

[quote name='Bivensra'] Can I download/upload my movies to the Go or do I have to purchase them from the Playstation Network? I ask b/c DVDs like Wolverine have a digital copy so I was wondering if I have to repurchase the movie from the network which would really suck. Thanks in advance from anybody who can answer the question. [/QUOTE]

Most likely you can put digital copies of movies onto the PSP Go, but you're probably going to need to transfer them to the PSP Go, through the Memory Stick slot, or by transferring them over to the PSP Go flash memory, with a USB data transfer cable.

You'll probably also have to convert the video file to something the PSP Go can recognize (I don't have a PSP Go or a PSP right now, so I don't know what video format they use.)

[quote name='Bivensra']Thanks for the responses.[/QUOTE]

sorry i wasn't on here, and it was already answered, but yes you can.

[quote name='J7.']How much profit margin do you think retailers are demanding for PSP Go hardware?[/QUOTE]

I don't think retailers demand a specific amount of profit margin; rather, it's up to Sony to set the MSRP that is attractive to almost all of the usual retail chain.

Hardware usually has somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% discount off of MSRP (at MOST) - which anyone in the business world will tell you is pretty much in the 'no real profit' zone. It's accessories where retailers make their profit. Mark up on that stuff is insane - in the neighborhood of 500-700%. Retailers do, in general demand a specific amount of profit margin - I mean, THEY are the first customer - however, usually the market ends up setting a general rule of thumb - which someone as powerful as Sony can pretty much follow or demand. I've worked with Sony before, and they pretty much do tell you whats up - but it's a fallacy to say that a manufacturer or publisher sets discount percents - those are negotiated between X chain and said manufacturer - in Sony's part they just happen to have more bargaining power than some others. Also if you see a sale that's nation-wide or a price reduction on a core product (say the PS3) - USUALLY the manufacturer and the retailer will do something called a 'shared' markdown, which is essentially both of them eating the cost 50/50 - although that's not always the case.

[quote name='chakan']Tux and Paddlefoot, thank you for the great reviews. Since the hard case is down to $13 at Amazon, I'll probably get it.

Linkinprime, I saw those clear plastic shields too. I have something like that on my DS and love it, but on this version, the plastic goes OVER the screen, so I worry about lint getting underneath and scratching.[/QUOTE]

Chakan, I know it's from a while back now, but I wound up getting the soft case too...twice. (Sort of)

See, I was told the one in a Play-Asia bundle was identical to the official US one. And it came with a strap and 2 screen protectors (the official kind) so I figured it couldn't hurt.

The strap was okay but I wouldn't use it--I don't strap my devices if they're this small--takes away from the sleekness. The screen protectors--thank god there were 2, the first I didn't read the instructions for, so I was all kinds of backwards lol. Second went on fine after I found the english instructions though.

The case was awful--it was just a slip-case. You slide the PSP Go into it from the side, and it's just there. No zipper, no closure, nothing. Very thin material too. I felt pretty jipped, so I ordered the official US padded case the next day.

It came yesterday, and it is a BEAST. It's kind of massive, relative to the Go. Still not terrible, but definitely won't fit in my pocket in this case.

Brief overview: It is a two-zipper side-open case. So if you're holding the case like you would hold the PSP when gaming, the zipper threads go from the top center, around the left side (when the case's logo is oriented properly), to the bottom center. Two zippers mean you can zip in either direction, based on preference--not that I care much, but I suppose someone might, if listening to the music and using headphones with it. (though you can't access any buttons easily in there...)

The material is very nice, and VERY well padded. I read a review once where someone said they'd be willing to drop the thing 4-5 feet and not worry due to the casing. I thought to myself "what the hell is wrong with that guy?!?" But now, I know what he meant. (Note, I still won't DO it, but I'm fairly confident it would survive without a scratch, based on how thick the padding is--hence why it's HUGE and not pocket-sized in this pouch)

The outside of the pouch has an extra flap, where you can put a memory card, or if small enough, headphones, or something like that. My headphones fit, but they're Shure earbuds, and the extension cable makes it a bit of a tight fit. I'm likely to carry them in their own case (Shure headphones come with their own zipper case as well) since I have it already, and as of right now I have no use for the extra flap on the outside of the Go's soft pouch. It also doesn't close up, but it's a pretty tight flap, so I doubt anything would fall out easily unless you really toss it around. It also isn't as padded, so it might be a concern if you carry your memory cards around without their plastic cases. (I don't know anyone who does that though)

Overall I'm really happy with this case as well. It likely wouldn't be my "every day" case, but if I plan on traveling, it could definitely have its place. Even in my laptop bag which I bring to work daily, it seems worthwhile to put it in here. If I accidentally flip it upside down and the laptop winds up on top of the Go, I'm not concerned at all. The hard case would also probably be fine in this situation, but since I have a bumpy car ride, the repeated impacts make me want the security blanket that is the soft pouch.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I don't think retailers demand a specific amount of profit margin; rather, it's up to Sony to set the MSRP that is attractive to almost all of the usual retail chain.[/QUOTE]
I read somewhere that with digital distribution consoles retail would demand a higher profit margin if they won't be able to sell games because as we know games are where they profit, they don't profit much off hardware at all.

[quote name='orntar']maybe i will then.

then give it away in a contest, i don't really want one long term.[/QUOTE]

not sure if anyone purchased a crystal case box cover skin protector (long name) for the go. I did a couple of days ago and when I get it I will post my impressions.

I got to play around with the Go for about 30-40 minutes at a Sony store last week, and was impressed. As someone who was fairly cold (read: arctic) on the system initially, I can admit that form and function wise, I thought it was WORLDS above the PSP1000-3000. It was comfortable, looked sleeked, and didn't give me any of the cramping I've been expieriencing with my 3000.

What has yet to turn around for me, however, is the lack of UMD drive. If Sony could find a way to marry the overall form of the GO with a UMD drive, I'd be totally set. As it stands, though, I just can't get over that hurdle, especially as someone with a sizeable UMD collection.

I admit it, though, that after that playtime, I really wanted one. Not, you know, $250 wanted one, but I was sad that I had to go back to my 3000.

This is all irrelevant, really, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

See, I really want a PSP and do not care for UMDs... yet I cannot get myself to spend $250 on something I can get for $200 with a game and a bunch of other stuff. If I could find one in store for

[quote name='Apathetic-Irony']See, I really want a PSP and do not care for UMDs... yet I cannot get myself to spend $250 on something I can get for $200 with a game and a bunch of other stuff. If I could find one in store for

Man, PSP GO is amazing. I don't think I'll ever come back to Reg. PSP anymore, even though I have a whole library of UMD..

Anyone know of any good cases for the PSP Go that have a hard cover and aren't the plastic attachments or the ones at B&M stores by Sony? I want to buy my brother a case for his Go but he doesn't seem to like the ones that he's seen from Sony (the clip on one, the soft case, and the one with the zipper). I found one at Play-Asia I thought he'd like but some some reason doesn't (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-17x-49-en-70-3kpk.html). Has anyone seen anything similar to that?

[quote name='SentryOmega']Anyone know of any good cases for the PSP Go that have a hard cover and aren't the plastic attachments or the ones at B&M stores by Sony? I want to buy my brother a case for his Go but he doesn't seem to like the ones that he's seen from Sony (the clip on one, the soft case, and the one with the zipper). I found one at Play-Asia I thought he'd like but some some reason doesn't (http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-17x-49-en-70-3kpk.html). Has anyone seen anything similar to that?[/QUOTE]

Wish I could help you there.

Honestly, I'm not sure what he doesn't like about the Sony ones. The only two I'm aware of that are OFFICIAL ones, at least in the US, are the zippered soft pouch, and the velcro hard case. I own both (for different purposes/occasions) and I love both, personally. I've posted feedback on both, and I really must vouch for their excellent quality.

Not really sure what WOULD work, if those two are both out of the question.

[quote name='Tux.Bobble']Wish I could help you there.

Honestly, I'm not sure what he doesn't like about the Sony ones. The only two I'm aware of that are OFFICIAL ones, at least in the US, are the zippered soft pouch, and the velcro hard case. I own both (for different purposes/occasions) and I love both, personally. I've posted feedback on both, and I really must vouch for their excellent quality.

Not really sure what WOULD work, if those two are both out of the question.[/QUOTE]
Thanks. I like both of those as well but for whatever reason he doesn't like them. I might end up buying the hard case 'for me' (for the most part he lets me borrow it because I buy games) but only if it isn't too hard to take out.

So what's up with the title of the thread, is the OP leaving the $50 price drop there until it actually does happen?

[quote name='SentryOmega']Thanks. I like both of those as well but for whatever reason he doesn't like them. I might end up buying the hard case 'for me' (for the most part he lets me borrow it because I buy games) but only if it isn't too hard to take out.[/QUOTE]

I don't have a problem with it. A lot of people have complained about it, but you can bend the "arms" back slightly, which loosens it up a bit.

I need two hands to get it out but it's definitely not difficult. I just pull back a little on the brackets, and use my thumbs to push the bottom upward. (making sure to apply pressure to both pieces of the console, not just the screen or control pad) I'm really happy with it. Only reason it came out was so that I could thoroughly review the soft case, but it'll be going back into the hard case again soon! (The hard case does fit in my pocket, after all, lol)

[quote name='J7.']So what's up with the title of the thread, is the OP leaving the $50 price drop there until it actually does happen?[/QUOTE]
Sorry I haven't updated the OP in a while. The Euro drop and the short lived (but large market) $199 Fry's sale got me all worked up over nothing.

I was going to post some Japanese launch day sales comparisons of handhelds but didn't want to accused of flame baiting.

Updating thread title.

Thanks. I think we'll see an offical pricedrop not long after Christmas. Should be interesting to see what retailers do before that happens.

I own all three cases sold in the US. The one that advertises it can convert into a a stand is pitiful b/c it doesn't even stand up! I don't use that one at all. I'm constantly switching b/t the hard/velcro one when I know I'm going to be tucking it into my pocket, and if i'm just going out for a drive, listening to some MP3's, I'll toss it in the soft/neporene/zipper pouch. They are both great.

However, thanks to chakan & SentryOmega on the tips to look at dealextreme and play-asia, I now want to seek out a hard plastic shell (I can't believe they're not available here yet!) Dealextreme pricing looks way too low (what gives?) and the hard screen there looks like there is a cut-out where the screen is. Play-asia looks like it covers the whole thing, but for a premium price. The only thing that sucks is switching to the plastic shell case, I can guarantee you cannot use the hard/velcro one anymore b/c of the tight fit. (if you could, that would be FTW!)

Do I have anything to worry about from ordereing Play-asia? also, a lot of that says made for Japan PSPgo model, again, is that a problem? or are they all universal??

[quote name='token2k6']I own all three cases sold in the US. The one that advertises it can convert into a a stand is pitiful b/c it doesn't even stand up! I don't use that one at all. I'm constantly switching b/t the hard/velcro one when I know I'm going to be tucking it into my pocket, and if i'm just going out for a drive, listening to some MP3's, I'll toss it in the soft/neporene/zipper pouch. They are both great.

However, thanks to chakan & SentryOmega on the tips to look at dealextreme and play-asia, I now want to seek out a hard plastic shell (I can't believe they're not available here yet!) Dealextreme pricing looks way too low (what gives?) and the hard screen there looks like there is a cut-out where the screen is. Play-asia looks like it covers the whole thing, but for a premium price. The only thing that sucks is switching to the plastic shell case, I can guarantee you cannot use the hard/velcro one anymore b/c of the tight fit. (if you could, that would be FTW!)

Do I have anything to worry about from ordereing Play-asia? also, a lot of that says made for Japan PSPgo model, again, is that a problem? or are they all universal??[/QUOTE]

P-A is fine if you don't mind waiting without a tracking #. At least that was my experience.

As for the velcro case, it does stand, it's just not something I'd trust, as it has to be at the right angle, at which I can't even view the screen properly. As for the hard plastic shell, Im guessing it's not available because a) This is Sony's "premium" product and they don't want it to seem cheaper. And b) Third parties aren't convinced of hardware sales yet, so they're not supporting it all out just yet.

I need help converting movies using the media go software. I called Sony customer service and they were useless. I just want basic instructions on putting a movie on the darn thing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also it appears that new go memory cards will be released next week. Who has the best deals?
Thanks

[quote name='Bivensra']I need help converting movies using the media go software. I called Sony customer service and they were useless. I just want basic instructions on putting a movie on the darn thing. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also it appears that new go memory cards will be released next week. Who has the best deals?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

Converting from what format? on what platform (mac/pc?)

Handbrake works great in converting decrypted dvds to the psp format.

[quote name='jonlubbe']Converting from what format? on what platform (mac/pc?)

Handbrake works great in converting decrypted dvds to the psp format.[/QUOTE]

The platform is pc. Re format? I just want to know how to put a store purchased DVD on my go. I have bought umds for my other psps so never dealt w/ the issue.
Thanks

bread's done
Back