PSP Go thread-

Anyone know what the deal is with the Amazon PSN Store? I really want to pick up some games for this thing but I refuse to pay $40 for them. Amazon's selection of PSP games are pretty slim and either range from older titles to PS1 titles. However newer games that arrive on Thursday updates don't arrive on Amazon at all.

The UMD for Jak is going for $30 and it's really killing me. The faintest splinter of hope tells me Amazon might be able to price codes on their own terms (if they ever receive them). However I do know Sony has got their greedy little paws on all methods of digital distribution.

Also, does anyone have any idea if Crisis Core will arrive anytime soon? I hope I don't make anyone mad but I'm not sure if everyone is in the dark or just me.

Is there any hope?

[quote name='SentryOmega']Anyone know what the deal is with the Amazon PSN Store? I really want to pick up some games for this thing but I refuse to pay $40 for them. Amazon's selection of PSP games are pretty slim and either range from older titles to PS1 titles. However newer games that arrive on Thursday updates don't arrive on Amazon at all.

The UMD for Jak is going for $30 and it's really killing me. The faintest splinter of hope tells me Amazon might be able to price codes on their own terms (if they ever receive them). However I do know Sony has got their greedy little paws on all methods of digital distribution.

Also, does anyone have any idea if Crisis Core will arrive anytime soon? I hope I don't make anyone mad but I'm not sure if everyone is in the dark or just me.

Is there any hope?[/QUOTE]
I don't know the specific answer to your questions, but I always keep an eye on this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238357
FriskyTanuki is great about updating the new releases, and he may know about future releases.

[quote name='SentryOmega']Anyone know what the deal is with the Amazon PSN Store?[/QUOTE]

What's the deal with Sony's PSN store? Little Big Planet isn't available for download yet, even though it's already available in UMD form.

Is this an isolated occurrence, or is there usually a delay between UMD release and PSN release for new titles? Any idea what might be behind the delay? Since Sony published the game, there shouldn't be any hiccups with getting approval to release on PSN, and you'd think that for a title as big as this one they'd want a simultaneous release so they don't screw over anyone with the PSPgo.

If it pops up on Thursday, I guess that'd be understandable, even if it isn't a good idea. Making PSPgo owners wait an extra few days is not wise - look at the way Steam customers reacted when Modern Warfare 2's unlock lagged behind the release of the console and retail versions for no apparent reason.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']
If it pops up on Thursday, I guess that'd be understandable, even if it isn't a good idea. Making PSPgo owners wait an extra few days is not wise - look at the way Steam customers reacted when Modern Warfare 2's unlock lagged behind the release of the console and retail versions for no apparent reason.[/QUOTE]

Since when has Sony been wise about how they handled issues around the Go?

Today on the blog we informed readers that LBP PSP is not currently available on the PlayStation Store (link below). The goal is to have titles available on the PS Store and at retail on the same day, and that is usually the case. We're aware LBP isn't on the PS Store just yet, and are working on solving that as we speak. This is also affecting our distribution of voucher codes for media, which I realize is a huge inconvenience. We appreciate your patience and will provide an update as soon as we can.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/littlebigplanet-goes-portable/
They had maintenance on the store yesterday, so something's still wrong that's keeping them from getting it up there. I think Kenka Bancho's the only other game that hasn't been up there on Tuesday.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They had maintenance on the store yesterday, so something's still wrong that's keeping them from getting it up there. I think Kenka Bancho's the only other game that hasn't been up there on Tuesday.[/QUOTE]

Okay, in that case then Sony's in the clear, although I could swear I'd heard they uploaded other games last night. I saw the non-answer on Kotaku and figured that there wasn't a reason for the delay.

Carry on. :)

[quote name='J7.']Sony should just change PSN store updates to Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

QFT. PSN is losing sales on some multiplatform games and DLC since Live updates on Tuesdays, and some gamers are impatient (among other reasons). There's really no advantage to waiting until Thursday IMO.

[quote name='Ecofreak']QFT. PSN is losing sales on some multiplatform games and DLC since Live updates on Tuesdays, and some gamers are impatient (among other reasons). There's really no advantage to waiting until Thursday IMO.[/QUOTE]

you QFT! :lol: Live updates on Wednesday, not Tuesday...Nintendo is Monday. IMO it's nice to have these spread out, but seeing as how Sony constantly delivers the goods (meaning more amount (content) of stuff than Ninty or MSFT gives you on their updates) on Thursday, i wish they got to update earlier in the week and push Nintendo to the end!!

I haven't got any XBL games since the Summer of Arcade, but week after week I can always find something cheap on PSN and love it!!

[quote name='J7.']Sony should just change PSN store updates to Tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

I've always thought that the days they picked for releases were intentional. Tuesday is traditionally the physical media release day, for any new games movies, or music. Friday is the release day for new movies. That leaves Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday as the remaining weekdays for new releases...and each console company has picked one.

The way I see it, they did it this way so that they aren't overshadowed by other releases or by each other. That's the only logical explanation I've come up with for why things shook out the way they did - this schedule gives each company their own little day in the spotlight.

They've also changed the ways at least demos have released since a lot of them come out on Thursdays now even if MS paid for a week's exclusivity of a demo.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Okay, in that case then Sony's in the clear, although I could swear I'd heard they uploaded other games last night. I saw the non-answer on Kotaku and figured that there wasn't a reason for the delay.

Carry on. :)[/QUOTE]

They uploaded Assassin's Creed earlier this week...on Tuesday I believe. They just can't get their sh** together with a Sony developed game. It's a mess...just like the Go.

[quote name='seanr1221']So besides using a PS3 controller on the system, what's the benefit of Bluetooth?[/QUOTE]

Bluetooth headphones! I started a thread on this, but it wasn't popular - AT ALL! I plan on getting some for X-mas, can't wait!!

[quote name='seanr1221']So besides using a PS3 controller on the system, what's the benefit of Bluetooth?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='token2k6']Bluetooth headphones! I started a thread on this, but it wasn't popular - AT ALL! I plan on getting some for X-mas, can't wait!![/QUOTE]

And it drains the battery 33% faster when on!

Hopefully something else will come along and make this more useful.

So I finally got around to trying a PSP Go (at Best Buy) and I was pleasantly surprised. The system is attractive and the controls aren't any worse than the PSP 2000/3000's. I can't ever see myself ditching a UMD-equipped PSP for a Go but if they drop significantly in price, I'll definitely bite.

The problem with the Go is the price... and that's like.. it. It's wayyyyy too expensive.
For $50 more you can just buy a PS3. Seems silly...

I keep noticing PSP-3000 bundles (Assassin's Creed, Gran Turismo) and am wondering where the fuck the PSP Go bundles are!? It's like they arent even trying to sell this thing.

[quote name='Malik112099']I keep noticing PSP-3000 bundles (Assassin's Creed, Gran Turismo) and am wondering where the fuck the PSP Go bundles are!? It's like they arent even trying to sell this thing.[/QUOTE]

Sadly this.

If I have my dates accurate, both the GT and the Assassin's Creed bundles came out after the Go. Crazy Sorny.

EDIT - Especially weird that the GT bundle didn't involve the Go. It's essentially a Sony game, they can conceivably print as many download vouchers for the game as they want. Crazy that there wasn't a $250 PSP Go GT bundle in the US.

For $250 they should throw in 3 or 4 digital download codes - this would at least in theory get it in the price range of a 3000.

[quote name='javeryh']For $250 they should throw in 3 or 4 digital download codes - this would at least in theory get it in the price range of a 3000.[/QUOTE]

You'd see that 16gb of memory get cut too then, to pull it back into that price range.

[quote name='javeryh']For $250 they should throw in 3 or 4 digital download codes - this would at least in theory get it in the price range of a 3000.[/QUOTE]

QFT. Direct Download is scary at first for those who don't have any experience, so give them a free "hit" and they'll be hooked. Sony's loses are minimal if they were to pack in a $10-25 PSN card, and they're already making money off of each PSP Go sold.

Also never understood why the same logic hasn't been applied to the PS3.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']A more expensive PSP Go? That just sounds like a bad idea.[/QUOTE]

Who said anything about making it more expensive?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because the PSP bundles are more expensive than the normal PSP, so PSP Go bundles would be more expensive than a normal PSP Go.[/QUOTE]

The normal PSP Go never should've been $250. For $250, there should be something more in the box other than the system. Sony can (presumably) generate download vouchers for any of their first party games. Give people Motorstorm, give people the new Jak and Dexter game, give out Gran Turismo.

Just because the production costs are reduced, it doesn't mean they'd have to give it away for nothing since that's not how they've done bundles so far. I really doubt they'd do bundles for the Go anyway, though it would be nice to have a free game to go with it.

The moment I knew the Go was dead in the water, even to Sony, was when that very first Gran Turismo commercial came out and he was playing it on a 3000.

Even now, most of the actual game commercials feature the 3000... if I'm not mistaken, the only time the Go has been featured (I.E., actually IN the commericial) were those Go specific ones... right or wrong?

[quote name='007']The moment I knew the Go was dead in the water, even to Sony, was when that very first Gran Turismo commercial came out and he was playing it on a 3000.

Even now, most of the actual game commercials feature the 3000... if I'm not mistaken, the only time the Go has been featured (I.E., actually IN the commericial) were those Go specific ones... right or wrong?[/QUOTE]

The Go has been in all recent PSP game commercials including the Gran Turismo commercial. They will show the 3000 and then a voiceover says PSP and the PSP rotates between 3000 and Go. I have been at Gamestop and Best Buy a couple of times in the last two weeks and noticed 3 PSP purchases. The family that bought PSPs actually purchased 2 so the kids could share UMD. I Go was purchased for a kid and the Gamestop purchase was intended to be mailed to South America w/ the hope that games could be downloaded from Brazil. Obviously not great data b/ someone is buying the things.

[quote name='lilboo']The problem with the Go is the price... and that's like.. it. It's wayyyyy too expensive.
For $50 more you can just buy a PS3. Seems silly...[/QUOTE]
True. Luckily I got it for $200 when Fry's was having that sale. I think it would be a great idea if Sony bundled a game or two with it because Rock Band Lite doesn't exactly count. Either someone is going to spend $250 + tax and come home having to play nothing and finding out the insane prices on the store and be mad or get a free game and be able to enjoy the system for what it is.

I'm not sure if Sony is waiting for Christmas to pass before releasing some kind of value pack because they might figure people will pick it up for Christmas regardless. It's Sony, we'll never know...

I think one reason you don't see any game bundles with the Go is that those who do not want the game will be stuck with it whereas with other system bundles they can sell off the game if they find they don't like it.

[quote name='J7.']I think one reason you don't see any game bundles with the Go is that those who do not want the game will be stuck with it whereas with other system bundles they can sell off the game if they find they don't like it.[/QUOTE]

:lol:
That can happen with any game you buy with a PSPgo.
Do you mean if they don't like it to begin with?

[quote name='J7.']I think one reason you don't see any game bundles with the Go is that those who do not want the game will be stuck with it whereas with other system bundles they can sell off the game if they find they don't like it.[/QUOTE]
True, however they still make it hard to sell because the games for the value packs don't come in full cases but rather in sleeves (if I'm correct). If someone was smart enough they could probably just sell the voucher that the code came on, because I don't think they would preload the game onto the system. At least in the case of Rock Band Lite they didn't.

[quote name='Bivensra']The Go has been in all recent PSP game commercials including the Gran Turismo commercial. They will show the 3000 and then a voiceover says PSP and the PSP rotates between 3000 and Go. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that... I meant 'in' as 'the person playing the system during the actual commericial is playing a Go'.

To me, tacking on a quick 'Go!' to the end of the commericial is just as good as not being in it at all. In fact, I'd venture to say that most people have no idea what that even means after the commericial.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']:lol:
That can happen with any game you buy with a PSPgo.
Do you mean if they don't like it to begin with?[/QUOTE]
Yes, but people have a choice about which games to buy, a bundle is a forced game if people are looking for savings. If they didn't like the game to begin with they would not buy the bundle most likely or they could sell the voucher code easily.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']So, rumor has it that Logitech is developing a UMD drive add-on for the PSP Go.

:lol:[/QUOTE]
Haha yes, I read this on NeoGAF a few minutes ago and decided to see if it hit here as well. Seems pretty worthless unless you can copy them off. Pretty much the whole thread is full of people bitching, but eh, you can usually expect that. As far as the product goes though, the market for this thing has to be pretty small. The PSP Go is mainly media centric but I could see people who don't own a regular PSP possibly being interested in this as an 'if all else fails' extension they could bring with them.

[quote name='FroMann']How would it mount onto the device? :whistle2:s I rather wait for a PSP 4000 with a UMD drive and a slightly bigger design then the PSP Go.[/QUOTE]
That's a good question. It would have to go through the bottom proprietary port because that would be the only place to plug it in. It's possible it might attach onto the back or perhaps could just be set aside you by running a cable. Who knows?

[quote name='SentryOmega']Haha yes, I read this on NeoGAF a few minutes ago and decided to see if it hit here as well. Seems pretty worthless unless you can copy them off. Pretty much the whole thread is full of people bitching, but eh, you can usually expect that. As far as the product goes though, the market for this thing has to be pretty small. The PSP Go is mainly media centric but I could see people who don't own a regular PSP possibly being interested in this as an 'if all else fails' extension they could bring with them.[/QUOTE]

You're definitely right about the small market, which is probably why Sony isn't the one bothering to make it.

The drive add-on is going to make the system bulkier, removing the Go's advantage of a smaller form factor. It's going to be a drain on the batteries. And perhaps most importantly, it's going to cost more money - maybe significantly more - to buy the drive in the first place. At this point, most of the Go's advantages are completely negated. Why NOT just buy the 3000 in the first place? Is Bluetooth really that important?

You could make the argument that the drive is removable, but carrying an extra chunk of hardware around just to play some of your games isn't all that appealing for a portable system. While it's technically possible to rip the games, do you really think Sony would let Logitech release an accessory that does that?

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']You're definitely right about the small market, which is probably why Sony isn't the one bothering to make it.

The drive add-on is going to make the system bulkier, removing the Go's advantage of a smaller form factor. It's going to be a drain on the batteries. And perhaps most importantly, it's going to cost more money - maybe significantly more - to buy the drive in the first place. At this point, most of the Go's advantages are completely negated. Why NOT just buy the 3000 in the first place? Is Bluetooth really that important?

You could make the argument that the drive is removable, but carrying an extra chunk of hardware around just to play some of your games isn't all that appealing for a portable system. While it's technically possible to rip the games, do you really think Sony would let Logitech release an accessory that does that?[/QUOTE]
Yeah they would never in a million years allow that. For the most part though, yeah, it's a really flimsy argument. But for whatever reason Logitech seems to want to make it (and I assume make money off it). If the rumors are true it better be an amazing product.

Ok Gentlemen (and any Ladies who may read this). I have complained about this multiple times and now I am officially reaching out for help. I will pay someone via paypal if it becomes necessary. I bought the Go so I can travel w/ a couple of movies, games and cds in a convenient package. Never bothered to try this w/ my 2 other PSPs so I did not realize how difficult it is to transfer a purchased DVD to the unit. I have a friggin law degree and cannot figure out how to do this. I need step by step instructions and if necessary I will friggin pay. What I am basically asking is for someone to walk me through the entire process b/c everything else I have tried either does not work or I am left w/ 5337 mb of memory yet Media Go says I have 2 cds, 5 saves, and one movie (as a example). Please help a CAG out and thanks in advance.

[quote name='Bivensra']Ok Gentlemen (and any Ladies who may read this). I have complained about this multiple times and now I am officially reaching out for help. I will pay someone via paypal if it becomes necessary. I bought the Go so I can travel w/ a couple of movies, games and cds in a convenient package. Never bothered to try this w/ my 2 other PSPs so I did not realize how difficult it is to transfer a purchased DVD to the unit. I have a friggin law degree and cannot figure out how to do this. I need step by step instructions and if necessary I will friggin pay. What I am basically asking is for someone to walk me through the entire process b/c everything else I have tried either does not work or I am left w/ 5337 mb of memory yet Media Go says I have 2 cds, 5 saves, and one movie (as a example). Please help a CAG out and thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Own a Macintosh? Download Handbrake, they have a PSP preset. There's probably something equivalent for Windows computers as well.

To Homerun's question legally. I buy the movies and CDs that I want from BB the first week to save money and b/c I like to have the boxes. I have tried Handbrake, Any DVD, Monavi, DVD Decrypter, Dix X Converter, Win Avi and AVS Video. I met a cousin in law over the holiday who works for Bioware and he suggested a couple of the programs b/ did not have the time to sit and help me. I use Windows BTW.

bread's done
Back