Resistance 3 - $9.99 @ Best Buy with @Gamer Coupon

kulsechsky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just got back from Best Buy where I picked up Resistance 3 for $9.99 after using a $20 coupon found in the June issue of @Gamer Magazine. The game was marked on the shelf for $34.99 but rang up as $29.99.

The magazine can be bought at Best Buy for $4.99 or you can sign up for the Gamers Reward Zone for $14.99. Signing up subscribes you to the magazine for a year and you are also eligible for the $20 gift card for pre-ordering certain titles (details found in another thread).

EDIT:
Here's a list of the other coupons in June's Issue.

NEW:
Deadliest Warrior: Ancient Combat - $20 off (PS3/X360)
Dragon Age II - $15 off (PS3/X360)
Resistance 3 - $20 off (PS3)
Soul Calibur V - $20 off (PS3/X360)
SSX - $30 off (PS3/X360)

PRE-OWNED:

MLB 11:The Show Pre-Owned - $20 off (PS3)
Any Pre-Owned Game $29.99 or above - $10 off (shows PS3 and X360 game but no mention of system)

ACCESSORIES:
Tritton AX Pro Gaming Headset - $40 off (PS3/X360/PC/MAC)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brother Daz']This makes me want to not even play it.[/QUOTE]
This issue is why I'm not re-buying the game today (like I usually do with Sony exclusives). After the uninstall process failed, I did the following:

Safe Mode

Then choose the option that allows you to purge corrupted files but will not delete your file system. Choose option 3 (Restore File System) in order to avoid losing all your data.
http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/627262?start=0&tstart=0

Note that I did this AFTER the uninstall process failed and my system was saved. I do not know what will happen if you attempt this before trying the normal uninstall process.

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you bypass the initial patch update and install the game data first you should not encounter any of these problems correct? Just want to make sure.

[quote name='PublikDefender']You guys are only good so far because you haven't tried to uninstall the game. When you try to uninstall, the system will hang and the uninstall process will corrupt your hard drive. I am certain of this because I bought the game for $20 during Amazon's black friday sales.

However, you can still luck out like me and not have to completely reformat your hard drive. If you go into maintenance mode and choose one of the "clean up options" then it will just clean up all of the corrupted files and the rest of your hard drive will be fine.

Update: It is Safe Mode, then Option 3[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info i'm reading a few other forum posts about it and seems like you can uninstall it it just takes about an hour to actually delete itself very weird. http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resistance-3/124372-removing-r3-takes-30mins.html

Just a heads up to those that want Dragon age II. If you want the ps3 version get it NOW. BB for some reason has discontinued the PS3 version of Dragon age II. I have no idea why. 360 is still listed but the ps3 version is no longer on the site or in the stores inventory. I had to get the empty tag and have them manually enter the SKU to try to find a store around here with it o_O

No idea why this is the case but it is. So grab it now if you wanted the PS3 version

^yeah my store had tons of the :360:version but went with ps3 because it was the last copy. Resistance 3 was a very limited supply as well.

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']thanks for the info i'm reading a few other forum posts about it and seems like you can uninstall it it just takes about an hour to actually delete itself very weird. http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/resistance-3/124372-removing-r3-takes-30mins.html[/QUOTE]

That didn't work for me, which prompted the "safe mode" fix, which locked me out of my system until I reformatted the HDD. Before you try to do ANYTHING, back up your saves.

I haven't played the resistance games. I heard they aren't good. True or not? I recently bought red dead redemption goty for 20. How does it compare to that game?

[quote name='Blaster man']I haven't played the resistance games. I heard they aren't good. True or not? I recently bought red dead redemption goty for 20. How does it compare to that game?[/QUOTE]

Well I havent played R3 but I played the original, and its a pretty decent quality series. I think one of the big draws of the franchise is that it has unique weapons for a fps.

RDR is a third person sandbox style action game so theres really no way to compare them. I have played RDR and I can say its a really great game and by most accounts its much better than R3

Its tough to compare them other than saying one is better than the other because they are such different style games

[quote name='Kenshindono']Just a heads up to those that want Dragon age II. If you want the ps3 version get it NOW. BB for some reason has discontinued the PS3 version of Dragon age II. I have no idea why. 360 is still listed but the ps3 version is no longer on the site or in the stores inventory. I had to get the empty tag and have them manually enter the SKU to try to find a store around here with it o_O

No idea why this is the case but it is. So grab it now if you wanted the PS3 version[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough, at my preferred store, they had a handful of PS3 copies, but none for the 360. Kinda upsetting as it was the 360 version I wanted, but I didnt (dont) have the time to go to a different store so I got the PS3 version; even though I have Origins and Awakenings for the 360 (but in true CAG fashion, I *just* got these from Kmart).

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I picked up resistance 3 this week. Should I play resistance 1 and 2 before I play the third?[/QUOTE]

It has a brief recap, but one in particular has a pretty cool story and delivery IMO. Is play them to really know what is going in. Two has some epic boss battles. The first game is one of my all time favorites, one of the few and first FPS games that seemed to have epic scale that feels real, its not one of those happy ending series, there is always a sense of hopelessness.

Same at the nearby BB. They have tons of x360 version, but only a handful of PS3 version. Got one for PS3.

Yeah xbox to PS3 DAII ratio seems to be 3:1 at most stores. Most of them were pretty low on R3 as well (before the coupons went live).

Is the PS3 version better for DAII? I don't see why they would run out of PS3 versions while there seems to be a lot of XBOX versions left.

[quote name='karekano126']Is the PS3 version better for DAII? I don't see why they would run out of PS3 versions while there seems to be a lot of XBOX versions left.[/QUOTE]

IDK if there is one that is better, I just noticed that they have a lower stock of PS3 at most stores.

[quote name='Brother Daz']This makes me want to not even play it.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Although there are fixes out there and plenty of people can play the game, I don't feel like even going through possibly getting this issue. Plus I don't think I have the HDD space for it.

[quote name='metallicoholic']Same here. Although there are fixes out there and plenty of people can play the game, I don't feel like even going through possibly getting this issue. Plus I don't think I have the HDD space for it.[/QUOTE]

It's actually an old known issue, just uninstall when you can leave it on for an hour or two

[quote name='PublikDefender']You guys are only good so far because you haven't tried to uninstall the game. When you try to uninstall, the system will hang and the uninstall process will corrupt your hard drive. I am certain of this because I bought the game for $20 during Amazon's black friday sales.

However, you can still luck out like me and not have to completely reformat your hard drive. If you go into maintenance mode and choose one of the "clean up options" then it will just clean up all of the corrupted files and the rest of your hard drive will be fine.

Update: It is Safe Mode, then Option 3[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I'm still sitting on close to 400gb free as I plopped a 640 Scorpio Blue in my PS3 a couple years back, so I'll probably just let the data sit and not even touch it and risk any issues. But I will copy this down in a note to myself in the unlikely event I do ever need to reclaim that space.

I did the gamer unlock deal since I am tired of buying the individual mags. I got my free copy and used the coupons out of it today
Grabbed R3, Dragon age II, deadliest warrior, and SSX. Came to 54.96(not including the unlock) out the door. My family has been wanting SSX since it came out so I did not feel like waiting. I did the gamer unlock deal since I am tired of buying the individual mags. I got my free copy and used the coupons out of it today

YMMW word of warning. I got Resistance 3 (and DA2 even though I may never play it) and as I was checking out, someone came by and told the cashier to make sure that I was Unlocked because the coupons wouldn't work without that. I don't believe she was right, but it might be a manager override. Luckily, I am Unlocked so it makes no difference to me, but just for anyone else who is not.

[quote name='AkariK']YMMW word of warning. I got Resistance 3 (and DA2 even though I may never play it) and as I was checking out, someone came by and told the cashier to make sure that I was Unlocked because the coupons wouldn't work without that. I don't believe she was right, but it might be a manager override. Luckily, I am Unlocked so it makes no difference to me, but just for anyone else who is not.[/QUOTE]

Don't push bad info please, check back of coupons.

I am well aware of what the coupon says. I even told the cashier I didn't think that person (a BB employee in the Games section) was right either and pointed out the wording on the coupon. He shrugged and said that was the first he heard of it too. I had no reason to push the issue because I was Unlocked and I wanted to go other places too. If you don't want to believe me, feel free, but what happened was real and may easily happen to anyone else.

Btw, you do know what YMMV means, right? I'm going to assume you do.

[quote name='AkariK']YMMW word of warning. I got Resistance 3 (and DA2 even though I may never play it) and as I was checking out, someone came by and told the cashier to make sure that I was Unlocked because the coupons wouldn't work without that. I don't believe she was right, but it might be a manager override. Luckily, I am Unlocked so it makes no difference to me, but just for anyone else who is not.[/QUOTE]

She's not right. You can buy the magazine in store and use the coupons whether you're unlocked or not. You apparently just got a misinformed employee.

That person was full of crap

got this deal couple days ago. about 8 more copies at the La Quinta, CA BB store. also used the coupon for $5 DA2 and used a $5 off purchase coupon so got DA for free. also got the last xbox copy of DA in the store.

yo anyone got that dragon age II ps3 store locator, I can't find it in this thread. I called my nearest store, it doesn't even come up on their system. Hoping to try a different store.

[quote name='Jacoblee23']I picked up resistance 3 this week. Should I play resistance 1 and 2 before I play the third?[/QUOTE]You dont need to but I would say yes! Theres alot of backstory in the first 2 games in terms of Chimera and the world that Id reccommend playing through but I think R3 made things accessible enough that you could still understand things w/o playing them. If you ever want to play R1 though you need to play it first as it will appear like a terrible game if you play them backwards. Its a launch PS3 game and really shows its age now. The sequels improved upon it immensely in terms of graphics and controls

tried to play the first 2 again, and good lord have they aged poorly. resistance 1 is nigh unplayable to me, just boring as can be. it almost seems like a last gen game given an HD makeover. resistance 2 was better, but i definitely see why so many fans dislike it. I got bored a couple hours in as well, and just stopped playing. Resistance 3 is fun, albeit glitchy, dated, and certainly not AAA. I find it odd how most of it's problems aren't really gameplay related. it has mediocre graphics, horrid sound delay that makes using a headset worthless, and the install alone took at least 40 minutes, not to mention the headache that i am sure to get when i try to uninstall it. Also, there were quite a few times where i had to quit a level because it broke itself and wouldn't continue the game :/ . all in all, worth no more than 10$, if only for an entertaining and relatively lengthy campaign.

[quote name='taylort3']tried to play the first 2 again, and good lord have they aged poorly. resistance 1 is nigh unplayable to me, just boring as can be. it almost seems like a last gen game given an HD makeover. resistance 2 was better, but i definitely see why so many fans dislike it. I got bored a couple hours in as well, and just stopped playing. Resistance 3 is fun, albeit glitchy, dated, and certainly not AAA. I find it odd how most of it's problems aren't really gameplay related. it has mediocre graphics, horrid sound delay that makes using a headset worthless, and the install alone took at least 40 minutes, not to mention the headache that i am sure to get when i try to uninstall it. Also, there were quite a few times where i had to quit a level because it broke itself and wouldn't continue the game :/ . all in all, worth no more than 10$, if only for an entertaining and relatively lengthy campaign.[/QUOTE]
Interesting take on the game,i thought i'd heard its actually a short campaign,but i just started so i really don't know.

R3 is worth 10 bucks, but I agree that the first Resistance is garbage now. 2 is kind of cartoony graphics wise. Was considering the new Vita Resistance game, but think I'll wait until it hits 20 bucks.

[quote name='hostyl1']Strangely enough, at my preferred store, they had a handful of PS3 copies, but none for the 360. Kinda upsetting as it was the 360 version I wanted, but I didnt (dont) have the time to go to a different store so I got the PS3 version; even though I have Origins and Awakenings for the 360 (but in true CAG fashion, I *just* got these from Kmart).[/QUOTE]

Ya but the thing is the PS3 version is literally not in the system anymore. It doesn't come up when they do a search at all. The only way he could do a look up was when i brought the tag over for him to manually type the SKU number in. searching by name only brought up the 360 version. Thanks @ Kimb22 for putting the sku locator up since looking on the site gives no results. I find it strange. Makes me wonder if theyre doing a GOTY version soon

BTW i had a question kinda related to this. For the original Dragon age. That GOTY version they released with all the DLC: does that come with it on the disk, or a stupid code? I remember when i bougth the regular game the stone prisoner was a code. If they have all the DLC on just a disc i may buy that since i hate dealing with DLC junk. Im asking for the 360 version, but im curious about the PS3 as well.

[quote name='Kenshindono']Ya but the thing is the PS3 version is literally not in the system anymore. It doesn't come up when they do a search at all. The only way he could do a look up was when i brought the tag over for him to manually type the SKU number in. searching by name only brought up the 360 version. Thanks @ Kimb22 for putting the sku locator up since looking on the site gives no results. I find it strange. Makes me wonder if theyre doing a GOTY version soon

BTW i had a question kinda related to this. For the original Dragon age. That GOTY version they released with all the DLC: does that come with it on the disk, or a stupid code? I remember when i bougth the regular game the stone prisoner was a code. If they have all the DLC on just a disc i may buy that since i hate dealing with DLC junk. Im asking for the 360 version, but im curious about the PS3 as well.[/QUOTE]all the dlc on the DA Ultimate Edition is on the disk. Its been a while since I opened mine but I cant recall if the armor was included as a code.(or if it was even offered at all with the UE). BTW its on disk for both versions

[quote name='Tate Donovan']Went today, store had Resistance 3 and DA 2 but I couldn't pull the trigger. Don't really want to play either one that much.[/QUOTE]

Nice, way to be a true cag who can turn down good deals for lack of use or interest.

[quote name='Tate Donovan']Went today, store had Resistance 3 and DA 2 but I couldn't pull the trigger. Don't really want to play either one that much.[/QUOTE]

Well you could have bought them for $10 and $5, then sold them for 20 and 15. Might as well make use of your coupons and make a little profit for the cause.

[quote name='Tdog987']Anyone else having problems with R3...curious to hear...a few in this thread have had, but wondering about the rest.[/QUOTE]

I had no problems with R3, sure it wasn't as polished as MW3 or Gears but it was more fun than all three of them. There were some minor issues but nothing game breaking. I played through it a few times and played through the co-op as well.

Can somebody help me out here. I know this isnt the place to ask but I am confused and I need help. I was able to get in contact with @Gamer (Keep in mind I signed up in MARCH!) After I signed up they said it would be about 4 - 6 weeks for them to send me my magazine and coupons. (This was in March.) I waited and waited I didnt get anything. So I question them about it. What do they do? Suspend my account because they thought I wanted to cancel. WRONG! I wanted my magazine. I finally get my subscription changed from digital copy to an actual magazine. Now they are telling me I can't get a magazine until mid-late July because it is going to take another 4-6 weeks to send me a magazine. Really? I signed up in March it is almost July and I have not recieved a single coupon or magazine. To compensate they add an extra 2 months to mu subscription. March, April, May, June. That is almost 4 months. Now I am going to miss out on Resistance 3 and Soul Calibur 5 because of their screw up and our Best Buy doesn't carry their own magazine so no luck their either. Can somebody help me out here or give me some advice. Thanks.

1. go to gaming dept
2. Tell them you haven't gotten this month's mag yet.
3. ask them if you can just use their coupon
4. tell them they can verify that you are unlocked by looking it up in the system

99% of them will let you.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Well you could have bought them for $10 and $5, then sold them for 20 and 15. Might as well make use of your coupons and make a little profit for the cause.[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I did. I figure it's good for the @Gamers Unlocked program if they see the coupons getting used and I make a small profit + RZ points on the side.

Hell of a deal, I bit.

Thanks
10.png

bread's done
Back