RockBand 1 & 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - 3/15/09 - Funk Pack + More!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was a disk only purchase for rock band 1, but I really want the strat guitar, and the new improved drum kit is a plus. Gonna have to get the whole kit for II. I'd get the ion drums, but fuck that $300 price tag

[quote name='bardockkun']Did they expect you to buy more, but broke your knee caps instead or something?[/QUOTE]

Worst. Their cheap ass memory cards decide to go bonkers thus me losing 100's of hours on multiple RPG games and my madden franchise. And I've never had one of their controllers do anything right.

Friend comes over to play some games:

me: I get the official controller, you can have a mad catz controller
friend: Why you have so many? Which ones the best?
me: Well the red one the R2 & L2 don't work, but you don't use those much in madden, but you'll be screwed when we play smackdown.
friend: well what about this blue one? Or that black one.
me: the "X" button sticks on the blue, and some times the D-pad just doesn't respond
me: as far as the black one, I just bought it, so you'll have to tell me what is wrong with that one
friend: Why'd you buy another one? You're dumb.
me: I know

Bardockkun, in all fairness you should wait for some reviews of the Madcatz drums. We know very little about them right now. Not every single Madcatz product is faulty like Mr Ryles claims. The fact that these drums are officially licensed and more expensive than regular Rock band drums means that they have a chance at being good drums.

I am going to buy the Rock Band 2 special edition and perhaps upgrade to Ion or Madcatz drums later on. It's disappointing that neither the MadCatz or Ion drums are wireless, which is an important feature to me.

[quote name='eastx']Bardockkun, in all fairness you should wait for some reviews of the Madcatz drums. We know very little about them right now. Not every single Madcatz product is faulty like Mr Ryles claims. The fact that these drums are officially licensed and more expensive than regular Rock band drums means that they have a chance at being good drums.

I am going to buy the Rock Band 2 special edition and perhaps upgrade to Ion or Madcatz drums later on. It's disappointing that neither the MadCatz or Ion drums are wireless, which is an important feature to me.[/quote]
Yeah, I know, but just a bit over eager is all. Especially with Madcatz's drum set coming out in August and the Ion one is...God, don't even know. Also, got a Rock Band tournament around that time and just want to kill, crush and destroy in every possible way.

[quote name='eastx']Bardockkun, in all fairness you should wait for some reviews of the Madcatz drums. We know very little about them right now. Not every single Madcatz product is faulty like Mr Ryles claims. The fact that these drums are officially licensed and more expensive than regular Rock band drums means that they have a chance at being good drums.

I am going to buy the Rock Band 2 special edition and perhaps upgrade to Ion or Madcatz drums later on. It's disappointing that neither the MadCatz or Ion drums are wireless, which is an important feature to me.[/quote]

Wireless-shmireless, I think wireless is a bit of a gimmick. I mean, why would i want some drums that are just going to sit right in front of me and my xbox to be wireless. So it could take up batteries?

I prefer plugging it in all the way. I think the only thing that needs to be wireless are the standard. controllers.

I hope the drum tutorial is useful and not lame like the guitar one. I can do medium drums no problem but I can't do hard AT ALL. I've completed maybe 5 songs. The jump in difficulty is too big for someone like me who has no real music background and has never picked up drumsticks outside of the game. I don't want them to necessarily make it easier - I just want to know how to go about handling the different beats and stuff and working my way up to the harder difficulties.

Just do medium for a while.
You'll get the hang of it.

Hard just has more bass pedal involved.

I never touched a drumset before either but I can do most on hard and a few on expert.
I had to start on easy. :oops:

I can't get my foot to act independent from my hands. The only trouble spots I have in medium is when some of the songs go red-bass-red instead of red-red/bass-red - I always seem to hit that extra "red" ... I started on easy too.

Quick, alternating bass and pads were/are trouble for me too. Much easier when there's a pad to hit along with the bass.

Best to go into practice mode, and slow the speed down, that's something you just have to learn slowly.

Wow, I wish I could play my drums right now. My pedal is freaking broke though! Ughhh!

I post some info on the madcatz drums, along with a pic, by the way. So go check it out if you were curious.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Wow, I wish I could play my drums right now. My pedal is freaking broke though! Ughhh!

I post some info on the madcatz drums, along with a pic, by the way. So go check it out if you were curious.[/quote]

I'm looking for it and can't find it, have a link?

A new Guns N' Roses song, "Shackler's Revenge," apparently from the decade-in-the-works album "Chinese Democracy," will be included in the video game "Rock Band 2," according to a report in the New York Times. The game will be released in September.

"Rock Band 2," developed by MTV and Harmonix, will support all songs downloaded for the game to date and will also support the original game's instrument controllers. But it will also introduce new controllers for drums and guitar and boast a soundtrack of more than 100 master recordings.

Still can't believe how great the setlist is.
All downloadable content will work with Rock Band 2 and gamers can export tracks from Rock Band 1 to RB2. That's right -- from day one you can bring all RB1 tracks into RB2 to compliment your DLC as long as you own a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with a hard drive.

And there's more. Harmonix actually wanted to toss in 100 tracks total for the disk, but couldn't get them all in one time to ship for Xbox 360 by September. So this fall, MTV is releasing an additional 20 downloadable master tracks... for free.

[quote name='modium']Still can't believe how great the setlist is.[/quote]

Good, not great.

Plus, 20 free dlc tracks at launch? Very nice.

If you're having trouble, definitely check out the difficulty list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_in_Rock_Band

Watch the Tier #...I would recommend transitioning from Medium to Hard, by focusing on the "easy" songs first (I guess Tier 4 or lower?). You will find that once you learn a pattern from an easy song, and get it down, you will see it pop up in harder songs as part of a sequence. The key, of course, is mastering it in the easy song first so when you see it again, it doesn't shock you.

I'm a drummer, btw, and I too had difficulty with the Medium >> Hard transition. Of course my problem is that you can't "look ahead" with RB, while in real life (sheet music) you can do that more easily. That and relearning the notation (no x's for hi-hat, no crash notation, etc.).

All downloadable content will work with Rock Band 2 and gamers can export tracks from Rock Band 1 to RB2. That's right -- from day one you can bring all RB1 tracks into RB2 to compliment your DLC as long as you own a PS3 or an Xbox 360 with a hard drive.

How is this going to work? If all you need is a copy of the disc then couldn't you just rent/borrow it from somewhere?

[quote name='javeryh']How is this going to work? If all you need is a copy of the disc then couldn't you just rent/borrow it from somewhere?[/quote]

Not sure, but this from Kotaku says "most" content can be exported. What are they going to do, restrict some songs?

"Owners of the original Rock Band will have the ability to export most of the Rock Band disc tracks and upgrade them into Rock Band 2 gameplay-the first time ever in videogame history!"

[quote name='shieryda']Not sure, but this from Kotaku says "most" content can be exported. What are they going to do, restrict some songs?

"Owners of the original Rock Band will have the ability to export most of the Rock Band disc tracks and upgrade them into Rock Band 2 gameplay-the first time ever in videogame history!"[/QUOTE]

Must be some rights issues. I'm fairly confident HMX will get as many as possible in there.

[quote name='javeryh']How is this going to work? If all you need is a copy of the disc then couldn't you just rent/borrow it from somewhere?[/QUOTE]

I also want to know this so I can sell my RB1 copy before value drops significantly!

vl379.jpg

[quote name='bardockkun']So far listening to leaked version of Chinese Democracy...meh, not looking forward to new Guns'n'Roses.[/quote]

Unfortunately, that's my sentiment in regards to what has been released of Chinese Democracy.

And as for Shackler's Revenge... You probably unlock the track by playing the game everyday for 10 years. :whistle2:#

[quote name='KaneRobot']Must be some rights issues. I'm fairly confident HMX will get as many as possible in there.[/QUOTE]

That and the fact that Aerosmith is now exclusive to GH so that may keep Train Kept a Rollin' out of the picture.

That is an awesome list, glad it was confirmed. The five I'm looking forward to the most are:

AC/DC Let There Be Rock
Billy Idol White Wedding
Lacuna Coil Our Truth
Megadeth Peace Sells
Motorhead Ace of Spades

I like that LC song, but there are definitely others I would have preferred.

[quote name='AlohaMars2']

I like that LC song, but there are definitely others I would have preferred.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and wasn't that the same song that was DLC on GH?

[quote name='chasemurata']Unfortunately, that's my sentiment in regards to what has been released of Chinese Democracy.

And as for Shackler's Revenge... You probably unlock the track by playing the game everyday for 10 years. :whistle2:#[/quote]
Yeah, Axl's voice has lost it completly. At times he feels like he's channeling Cher more then Appetite for Destruction or Use Your Illusion.

[quote name='Corvin']That and the fact that Aerosmith is now exclusive to GH so that may keep Train Kept a Rollin' out of the picture.[/quote]

Thank god.

[quote name='bardockkun']Yeah, Axl's voice has lost it completly. At times he feels like he's channeling Cher more then Appetite for Destruction or Use Your Illusion.[/quote]

Much as I love Guns N' Roses, it's just a little too late. His voice has deteriorated a lot over the years. :cry:

[quote name='porieux']GnR = Fail
Battery = win
No Iron Maiden = fail
Jethro Tull = win[/quote]

Jethro Tull surprised and delighted me. I know "old music is cool" to the younger generations, but for people who genuinely enjoy their music, it's a treat. :bouncy:

Aqualung is one of my favorite albums of all time. Would love the whole album, but they probably wouldn't do that one due to the songs that are just guitar and vox.

[quote name='bardockkun']And I hope by free DLC they don't mean something that's already on the marketplace that I may already own...[/quote]

The way I read it, they had 29 bonus songs they lined up for the disc, but needed to cut something, and figured few people cared about Honest Bob and the like.

So yea, I figure it'll be 20 new, indie tracks.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']Wireless-shmireless, I think wireless is a bit of a gimmick. I mean, why would i want some drums that are just going to sit right in front of me and my xbox to be wireless. So it could take up batteries?
[/QUOTE]

Cord clutter is the problem. When playing four-player with the current setup, that's a lot of cords. Putting everything up when you're done becomes a hassle. I'm no stranger to rechargeable batteries (I use the awesome Eneloop batteries) so I never worry about batteries running down.

[quote name='Charron']The way I read it, they had 29 bonus songs they lined up for the disc, but needed to cut something, and figured few people cared about Honest Bob and the like.

So yea, I figure it'll be 20 new, indie tracks.[/quote]

That would suck. I'd hope it would be 20 legitimate tracks from popular artists.

[quote name='Charron']The way I read it, they had 29 bonus songs they lined up for the disc, but needed to cut something, and figured few people cared about Honest Bob and the like.

So yea, I figure it'll be 20 new, indie tracks.[/quote]

wrong

[quote name='javeryh']That would suck. I'd hope it would be 20 legitimate tracks from popular artists.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it's going to be... they wanted 100 legit songs for the disc and came up short due to time... I don't expect it to be garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back