Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

Anybody have any opinions on which guys play the best? I have been using Free Ranger and Fire Kracken a lot. Is there any characters that have good ranged attacks?

The original adventure packs and three packs from SSA are $9.99 again at TRU again. I should go back to see if those Boomer three packs are still there.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try my local TRU and see if they have any more.

EDIT: I don't see any confirmation of this price online. Do you happen to have a link?

Last edited by a moderator:
ajh2298 said:
Found a way to use the "Sky Diamond" in Woodburrow to get easy money for upgrades. I spent most of yesterday using it to upgrade most of my sons Swap Force guys. Feel like a big loser wasting my day off doing it.
Care to share this method? ;)

Interesting - I guess you could have 2 people do that at the same time on 2 different dummies, right? We don't so much need money for upgrades, but it is nice to get for buying all the hats and stuff from the merchant in Woodburrow.
Yep you do it with two characters at once. At one point today I was controlling two guys at the same time by myself to make it go faster.

Just an FYI TRU is starting to send out the e-mails to rewards members for the free special "Gill Grunt" if you spent over $100 on Skylanders during the promo period.

The original adventure packs and three packs from SSA are $9.99 again at TRU again. I should go back to see if those Boomer three packs are still there.
I wish I could find a Boomer 3-pack, especially for $10. Although I don't have any money, right now, and my son spent all his Christmas money (and a $5 rewards I had) on new swappers. I kept hoping to get some more rewards dollars after spending so much at Christmas, there, but no luck. I tried to get in on the wish list gift card where they sent you a $10 gift card if $100 was purchased from the wish list. I knew what we were going in to pick up on Thanksgiving and I went and added it all to my son's wish list the day before. When I went to look at the wish list afterwards, though, none of that stuff made it. Apparently, the person who we gave the scanner to didn't upload it into the system or something. I tried contact support about it, but they weren't very helpful. They just went back and added everything from my receipt to the wish list and said it would work out in the end, but I'm pretty sure it had to be on the list before so it would show as purchased on the wish list. I haven't heard anything about it or any rewards dollars that I normally get from what I spent during the holidays. Not sure if they've sent them out, yet or not. Or maybe they're not doing the 10% back, this year. I can't remember if I saw anything or not.

They did do the 10% promo this year but the rewards were in the form of a printable gift card. If I remember correctly the gift card is only good till next Saturday the 25th. You been to login to Rewards-r-us account and check the rewards page to see if you have one to even print.

Also it looks like even though I spent $200+ on Skylanders at TRU I am not getting the coupon for the free Gill Grunt for some reason. And since TRU customer service is a clueless joke it's not even worth the phone call to argue for it.

Anybody have any opinions on which guys play the best? I have been using Free Ranger and Fire Kracken a lot. Is there any characters that have good ranged attacks?
Manga Charge is pretty good, reminds me of bouncer. I like Star Strike, her ranged attack is good, if you spin as it returns, you can volley it back out again, and it gains power the more you do it.

Looks like amazon still has everything but a retail price hyper beam prism break.  Been avoiding getting anything for swap force for the wife but she asked me to check yesterday.

I got an email for the free Gill Grunt, I didn't even know about the promo. From the color of the base, it looks like it's a figure from Giants. Is this an old promo/figure?

I got an email for the free Gill Grunt, I didn't even know about the promo. From the color of the base, it looks like it's a figure from Giants. Is this an old promo/figure?
It's a new figure. It's just a special S2 Gill Grunt. I don't know why they chose to do a special version of a Giants figure, not less a repose from Giants, but that's what it is. I'm wondering how it registers in Swap Force, though. Apparently, the Frito Lay promo Fright Rider was an orange base as well, but registers in Swap Force as a blue base (I assume in the achievements that count the number of figures you have of each type).

Best Buy has Stink Bomb and Lightcore wham shell in stock right now. I ordered both since these were the figures I was looking for, my search is over! No stores here have them and BB doesn't charge inflated prices like TRU or Gamestop.

Got my "Silver Gill Grunt" from the TRU promo yesterday really nothing special since it is just a variant of his "Giants" version which we already have. I just threw it in the future E-bay pile and I hope the value goes up on it like it was when it was a more exclusive chase variant.

Now have all this Skylander related crap to get rid of.

1. Polar Whirlwind

2. Darklight Crypt

3. Jolly Bumble Blast

4. A full set of "Giants" minis

5. 3 X Quick Draw Rattle Shakes

6. Trigger Snappy

That glitch is crazy, works perfect on the Wii U version at least and I have the update patches installed on mine. If you are using a Wii remote though the remote vibrates though the whole thing so you will probably end up draining a lot of batteries unless you have rechargables. This is even better than my Spyro's treasure chest discovery since you can get several thousand gold at once.

I am very surprised at how much these upgrades cost in game, I have spent well over 20k gold for some figures, unless swap force hands out gold like candy which it might, haven't played much of the actual game yet. I am guessing activision had to put this in or else kids who just play through the game would never be able to get all the upgrades without playing levels over and over and over over. The more figures you have the harder it will be to upgrade them (without the glitch). Some people have collections of over 90 figures.

Especially in swap force, the skylanders are just SO much better with the upgrades, some of the characters even get different things like a different shield. It changes the look of the character. Its a night and day difference. I won't tell any more spoilers on this one. The game encourages you to wait before upgrading but this causes a few problems, since your characters might not be that powerful without them, I was waiting to upgrade in Spyro's and it was causing problems since my characters were dying often and most people don't have that problem with the game.  Also that makes it like the RPG games that give you all the best equipment at the very end, when you are almost done with the game... pointless.. upgrade early folks.

SaraAB said:
Also that makes it like the RPG games that give you all the best equipment at the very end, when you are almost done with the game... pointless.. upgrade early folks.
I'm going for a platinum this time around and the upgrades are nice for tackling the levels on Nightmare difficulty. I play with my 4 year-old daughter so lots and lots of characters die (or she drops out before a big fight and I go it alone). Some characters are good for that, and some are horrible. Pop Thorn is pretty good since you can spam the attack button while avoiding getting hit - he has homing missiles that will hit whatever is near you without having to aim (so it will hit enemies that chase you). I end up doing a lot of the levels with him. Though any swappable with a ranged attack is good to use too.

I guess by the money trick you are still talking about the diamond. Yeah, that is nice - though I found I could upgrade almost everyone just from the money obtained in game. It doesn't cost a ton to upgrade the swappers. They only have 3 pre-branch upgrades, then 2 or 3 branched ones, and then the final one. The first few are usually in the 400-800 range, then 1200-1800 for the others with maybe the last one being just over 2000. So it takes maybe 8000-9000 to fully upgrade. Of course I'm just talking one half here (top or bottom). So I guess you are pushing 20,000 for both halves. But I think the main game gives you much more money than the previous games since like I said it was never much of a problem.

On the shopping front, my wife came home today with a Countdown she bought at Walgreens on clearance for $2.74. I didn't even know Walgreens sold Skylanders. She said that was the only clearance one left but it looked like they had had many more.

GameStop will be doing a "buy $30 worth of Swap-Force stuff, get a free Skylander mini" promo this weekend. 

...When they did it a few weeks ago it was only $20 and they were giving away posters. 

And my local GS stores probably still don't have any stock of the new figures making this deal pointless for me even though it's already pretty pointless. I swear my area didn't even get one shipment of wave 3 yet. Thank gosh for best buy online.

io said:
On the shopping front, my wife came home today with a Countdown she bought at Walgreens on clearance for $2.74. I didn't even know Walgreens sold Skylanders. She said that was the only clearance one left but it looked like they had had many more.
I've never really paid any attention to Walgreens clearance but I guess it is crazy YMMV like Walmart and such. I went to a different store tonight and their "Last Chance" clearance was $13.49 for Giants figures (which they claim are $17.99 normally). So, yeah, she had a lucky find on that $2.74 Countdown figure. The regular figs were $10.99 at the store I went to. Still, it is probably worth checking out if you happen to be near one.

GameStop will be doing a "buy $30 worth of Swap-Force stuff, get a free Skylander mini" promo this weekend.

...When they did it a few weeks ago it was only $20 and they were giving away posters.
I thought that was their normal deal. It was promoted on "Skylanders Day" as buy $20 and get a free mini, but after that it was buy $30. I'm not sure why they're advertising it as a special promo for this weekend, other than to try to drive more people in to buy them not knowing it's a normal deal.

I've never really paid any attention to Walgreens clearance but I guess it is crazy YMMV like Walmart and such. I went to a different store tonight and their "Last Chance" clearance was $13.49 for Giants figures (which they claim are $17.99 normally). So, yeah, she had a lucky find on that $2.74 Countdown figure. The regular figs were $10.99 at the store I went to. Still, it is probably worth checking out if you happen to be near one.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Walgreens is a YMMV situation. I haven't seen Skylanders marked down that cheap. I think I did remember seeing a few Giants figures marked down minimally last time I looked. I don't go to Walgreens as much as I used to when I did a lot of coupon deals, there. I was planning on going today, though to pick up something else. Maybe I'll check. There are several Walgreens in my area, although I'm not sure it will be worth driving around for. But I'll, at least, go to the one near my work on my lunch break (since I was going, anyway), and maybe swing by the one next to my house on the way home.

I have a bunch of Walgreen's nearby, I have seen some other toys there pretty cheap but I didn't want any of them, I also got some half price duracell rechargable batteries before Xmas and I used a coupon to make the deal even sweeter, paid like $6-7 for them regular 18.99 or some absurdly high price.

I know that walgreens charges 17.99 for the skylanders giants too. They don't have price scanners and most of the time the clearance prices won't show up in their system, there are some items the employees manually have to enter (that ring up regular price even though they have a clearance tag), and some will not do that for you. Even though I am pretty sure in NY State its a law that if an item is tagged for a price they have to sell it to you at that price.

I finally found Dune Bug at my local Best Buy, so if anyone is still looking, they may want to try their BB.  Now, I just need to find the Sheep Wreck adventure pack.

I just picked up the Arkeyan Crossbow Battle Pack off of Best Buy's Website. It was the first time I saw that pack outside of Toys R US.

There's a thread of it separately, but the BJ's Wholesale Club mostly on the East coast has Skylander figures on sale. I picked up Swarm for $6.98 as well as 3-packs of Lava Barf Eruptor/Slobber Tooth/Pop Fizz, Mega Ram Spyro/Blizzard Chill/ZouLou as well as the Fiery Forge and Tower of Time battle packs for $9.98 each.

It seems the Wave 4 guys are starting to pop up at places along with a Wal-Mart exclusive Lightcore Enchanted Star Strike. There will also be a Target exclusive Nitro Freeze Blade at the end of the month.

Wave 4

Fryno

Scratch

Fire Bone Hot Hog

Turbo Jet Vac

Freeze Blade

Trap Shadow

There also seems to be a few guys in Easter Egg shaped packages:

Fryno

Punk Shock

Spring Time Trigger Happy

It seems the Wave 4 guys are starting to pop up at places along with a Wal-Mart exclusive Lightcore Enchanted Star Strike. There will also be a Target exclusive Nitro Freeze Blade at the end of the month.

Wave 4

Fryno

Scratch

Fire Bone Hot Hog

Turbo Jet Vac

Freeze Blade

Trap Shadow

Fryno

Punk Shock

Thanks,
I got an email from TRU about them having Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow first. Not sure when, but first.

Thanks,
I got an email from TRU about them having Freeze Blade and Trap Shadow first. Not sure when, but first.
They had them out yesterday morning as a pre-release before any one else. And the other core wave 4 guys have been popping up at Wal-marts and Sam's Clubs in the USA.

The Wal-Mart exclusive Lightcore Enchanted Star Strike was supposed to be released today but most Walmarts like always screwed up on it.

I'm only looking for Scratch myself.

Does anyone know if there's any deals on Skylanders this upcoming week? Like a buy one get one 50% off?

Wave 4

Fryno

Scratch

Fire Bone Hot Hog

Turbo Jet Vac

Freeze Blade

Trap Shadow

Fryno

Punk Shock

Sweet time to get the kids Hot Dog!

My store received the spring assortment today. Fryno, punk shock & springtime trigger happy. No hold date in the system as of now.
[attachment=3748:20140318_111021.jpg]

Edit:  For the week of 3/23

$44.99 Swapforce Starter packs 

$8.00 Skylander Giants figures ($15.99)

3 for $20  All Skylander figures priced $9.99 & $10.99

Prim, are you in the U.S.? Can you tell us your location? If not, no sweat, but the country would at least be nice. :)
Yes. Somewhere out west.

Edit: wave 4 core figures just arrived to my store just now. No hold date on these either.

Edit: looks like TRU added a hold date of 4/6 for the spring assortment sometime yesterday.

Looks like TRU is getting a box in to be held for the 18th. Inside is a case of spring figures and this guy(he's fuzzy), but stores are receiving only one. Don't know what the deal is yet.
[attachment=4328:20140414_123542.jpg]

Looks like TRU is getting a box in to be held for the 18th. Inside is a case of spring figures and this guy(he's fuzzy), but stores are receiving only one. Don't know what the deal is yet.
attachicon.gif
20140414_123542.jpg

You have got to be kidding me! My son would be beside himself if we found that

bread's done
Back