Sony Playstation Home - Gen. Discussion & Info - Open Beta Available Now

I totally want in on the "beeta" when it comes available.

I can't wait to go to the future CheepyD apartment/CAG clubhouse and hang w/ all the virtual CAGers. Or possibly watch episodes my favorite TV shows w/ other fans. The Playstation Home has a lot of potential to become a cool hub of entertainment, news, and social interaction.

[quote name='Apossum']I've been refreshing for the past two hours straight. still don't see it. maybe I'll go for another hour if F5 doesn't break.[/QUOTE]
It will probably not show until after the Europe launch.

[quote name='Apossum']I've been refreshing for the past two hours straight. still don't see it. maybe I'll go for another hour if F5 doesn't break.[/QUOTE]

:)

I've been in a couple of GAP betas before but this would be the coolest one for sure.

I'm gonna pimp my apartment out so fly that Engadget will do a story on it.

[quote name='PKRipp3r']:)

I've been in a couple of GAP betas before but this would be the coolest one for sure.

I'm gonna pimp my apartment out so fly that Engadget will do a story on it.[/quote] im sure sony will appreciate your bank account for all that fly virtual furniture :lol:
jk:p

[quote name='PKRipp3r']fuck that

i'm refreshing[/QUOTE]

7 hours later, still nothing. I had a friend bring enough red bull for a week.

home is where the heart is... wait... no, nvm. Sony just took home.

While I hate the "hipster" thing going on with the emote stuff and the character designer, this is going to turn out really uniquely all depending on how well sony supports its community. If they have more constant fixes than Microsoft, things may look better. Also, pricing for premium content may not be bad since so far sony has had good prices on their downloadable content.

WHAT I want to know, and that no one has really brought up...

Is there going to be servers???

I mean, are you really going to have millions of people in the Lobby walking around?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']WHAT I want to know, and that no one has really brought up...

I mean, are you really going to have millions of people in the Lobby walking around?[/quote]

So I'm "no one" now huh? :p

[quote name='DarkNessBear']WHAT I want to know, and that no one has really brought up...

I mean, are you really going to have millions of people in the Lobby walking around?[/quote]
because noone knows the answer. as of right now all suggestions or possible explanations are purely speculation. we will have to wait and see how they implement Home

I mean, are you really going to have millions of people in the Lobby walking around?[/QUOTE]

yes, it's just going to be one big cluster fuck. :lol:

nah, someone mentioned that they saw a server list or something indicating that there are servers during the presentation.

Looks like it'll just be MMO-style...which is cool. The only fun part of an MMO is the lobby :lol:

[quote name='TimPV3']Glad to see I'm not the only one glued to the Home beta site. If I miss it, I'd be pissed as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm just joking about sitting there for 7 hours hitting refresh. but yeah, I've been checking it regularly.

I wonder what the catch will be to sign up.

[quote name='Apossum']yes, it's just going to be one big cluster fuck. :lol:

nah, someone mentioned that they saw a server list or something indicating that there are servers during the presentation.

Looks like it'll just be MMO-style...which is cool. The only fun part of an MMO is the lobby :lol:[/quote]
I was thinking they'd do it like Guild Wars.

There is only one server on GW (I think...) but you can go to different Home Towns or Auction houses, like 1-200.

But, if they were to have something like that, a whisper comman is esential. So you can tell your friend, "Meet me in Lobby 42".

i read somewhere that there are going to be servers and if one fills up you'll just spill over to the next one. Not sure if you can choose what server you want to log onto or whatever, but the article also said that they're implementing some kind of system to get all your friends and stuff on the same server.

i think i read this stuff on ign

[quote name='imascrub']i read somewhere that there are going to be servers and if one fills up you'll just spill over to the next one. Not sure if you can choose what server you want to log onto or whatever, but the article also said that they're implementing some kind of system to get all your friends and stuff on the same server.

i think i read this stuff on ign[/quote]

This is going to be a mess...

Yeah there will be servers, but they are smart servers so My guess is certain regions of the world will be on different ones then others and you will generaly be on the same one as your friends.

Someone else had this on the PS site:

"Q: What is the timeline for rollout?

Closed Beta (appx. 15,000 users): April - August

Open Beta (appx. 50,000 users): August - October

Service Live (50,000+): October"

Found the info HERE.

Grr>>>Misclick :)

It also says stuff like there will only be 64 People to a lobby, but there will be a "multitude of lobbies". And something about having to pay to attend certain events. Pretty good FAQ.

New dev site with more peeks into the info.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Someone else had this on the PS site:

"Q: What is the timeline for rollout?

Closed Beta (appx. 15,000 users): April - August

Open Beta (appx. 50,000 users): August - October

Service Live (50,000+): October"

Found the info HERE.

Grr>>>Misclick :)

It also says stuff like there will only be 64 People to a lobby, but there will be a "multitude of lobbies". And something about having to pay to attend certain events. Pretty good FAQ.

New dev site with more peeks into the info.[/quote]

Great info man, thanks.

More Q+A from the PDF file:

Q. How large is the download?
A. We're aiming for the initial download to be less than 500MB. Subsequent downloads will hopefully integrate a streaming method that makes them neglible.

Recommend everyone take a look at it.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I was thinking they'd do it like Guild Wars.

There is only one server on GW (I think...) but you can go to different Home Towns or Auction houses, like 1-200.

But, if they were to have something like that, a whisper comman is esential. So you can tell your friend, "Meet me in Lobby 42".[/QUOTE]

of course they'll have a whisper command. I'm guessing it's going to have almost the exact same functionality as any MMO, though probably a bit less complex.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...thread.id=14848&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

xbox live look crap

SCEA and SOE are developing MMORPG(something similiar to ffxi) style online service for PS3 right now. It will have online pack which it comes with HDD and the online software. You can go online and chat with people like mmorpg style. Your stats will have the list of games you have and scores(or ranks) for each game, and other great things. And if you want to look for someone to play online for certain game, you have to go to this certain area(or town) for that specific game or the game will automatically takes you to that town. Sony thinks "hyper links" technology is a history. They want to create a "virtual world" for PS3 online service where people can actually interact eachother like mmorpg style. There are more great details, but this is all I can get for now. I'm not expecting you to believe me

Message Edited by PS2UPDATE on 06-03-2005 12:26 PM

Fortune Teller? Or Just Lucky? Or Maybe Inside info? 2 Years Ago?

So what do you guys think of the "auction" feature?

I mean if offer a nice way for users to import items, could be interesting way to make some dollars.

I personally plan on making a lot of money by selling RoboCop stuff to CheapyD. :D

[quote name='Zoglog']http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...thread.id=14848&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

Fortune Teller? Or Just Lucky? Or Maybe Inside info? 2 Years Ago?[/QUOTE]

Nice. There was some other post going around saying that Sony was preparing a huge online service that would put everything else to shame and be free. I didn't believe them since nothing was ready for the launch and that it written by someone who sounded like a rabid fanboy on cocaine...but damn, I guess they were right :lol: (about the service, not about it putting live to shame...yet)

I have some ideas for home, that I hope happens one day:

-It would be cool for Sony to hold some type of online gamers event. Basically, similar to an E3, TGS, etc., held in a virtual world, where Sony will announce games, show off trailers, get a chance to play brand new demos (either by waiting in line chatting with friends), or no wait. That would be cool because I always wanted to go to some time of gaming show.

-They could make a virtual sporting event to go to. It would be cool going to a sports game in a virtual world.

-I'd also like a theme park to visit (change the rides every once in a while). When you're riding a roller coaster, put you in the first person perspective, so it will feel like you're riding it. It would also be cool to add mini-games, which you see at theme parks. I rarely get to go to theme parks, so I'd love it.

-I think there should be a mini-golf place (kind of like Putt-Putt), so we can play mini-golf with buddies. I've always wanted to play mini-golf with friends and doing it in a virtual world would be awesome.

-It would be cool to be able to go play laser tag with friends, in a virtual world (playing as our avatar).

-I'd like the idea of being able to visit a water park. It would be fun riding a tube down a river, riding a water slide, etc. in a virtual world (the water would splash on the screen, similar to the rain in F1).

-It would be cool to have a virtual museum, aquarium, zoo, etc. to visit.

-Going roller skating/ice skating in a virtual world may be cool also.

-It would be cool if they allowed us to have drinks and throw parties at our home. It would be fun partying with friends, getting drunk, etc. in a virtual party.

-I believe its already in home, but it will also be cool being able to see a movie with friends, in a virtual movie theater. Wouldn't have to worry about seeing a movie alone.

-Take my avatar to a video game store, purchase a video game, and have it sent to me. Actually, to make it more interesting, having to walk up to a sales clerk in a virtual world to purchase it.

OMG, the possibilities are endless. I'd never go out again.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I have some ideas for home, that I hope happens one day:

-It would be cool for Sony to hold some type of online gamers event. Basically, similar to an E3, TGS, etc., held in a virtual world, where Sony will announce games, show off trailers, get a chance to play brand new demos (either by waiting in line chatting with friends), or no wait. That would be cool because I always wanted to go to some time of gaming show.

-They could make a virtual sporting event to go to. It would be cool going to a sports game in a virtual world.

-I'd also like a theme park to visit (change the rides every once in a while). When you're riding a roller coaster, put you in the first person perspective, so it will feel like you're riding it. It would also be cool to add mini-games, which you see at theme parks. I rarely get to go to theme parks, so I'd love it.

-I think there should be a mini-golf place (kind of like Putt-Putt), so we can play mini-golf with buddies. I've always wanted to play mini-golf with friends and doing it in a virtual world would be awesome.

-It would be cool to be able to go play laser tag with friends, in a virtual world (playing as our avatar).

-I'd like the idea of being able to visit a water park. It would be fun riding a tube down a river, riding a water slide, etc. in a virtual world (the water would splash on the screen, similar to the rain in F1).

-It would be cool to have a virtual museum, aquarium, zoo, etc. to visit.

-Going roller skating/ice skating in a virtual world may be cool also.

-It would be cool if they allowed us to have drinks and throw parties at our home. It would be fun partying with friends, getting drunk, etc. in a virtual party.

-I believe its already in home, but it will also be cool being able to see a movie with friends, in a virtual movie theater. Wouldn't have to worry about seeing a movie alone.

-Take my avatar to a video game store, purchase a video game, and have it sent to me. Actually, to make it more interesting, having to walk up to a sales clerk in a virtual world to purchase it.

OMG, the possibilities are endless. I'd never go out again.[/quote]Like if you ever do:lol::lol::lol:

The virtual museum sounds really cool and something I thought of too. Maybe a zone (what do we call the private commerical areas?) showing off up and coming artists or sculpters and art made by those who are more famous.

I mean if it is really as easy as they say for them to make these things, and I'd hope we'd see at least attempts to do more non-gaming related sections. I'd spend a few dollars to stroll around a recreated art gallery from Italy I'd never get to see in real life.

Odd I know, but at least Home should get people thinking up plans to communicate and share with each other in new and different ways. I like some of those ideas The Mana Knight, but I think "never going outside again" is taking it a bit to far for me. :)

i dunno that's taking it a little to far imo. i mean, most of the experience of going to a musem is seeing the actual artwork in person. 20/20 vision a few feet away in reality. any1 can look at a jpeg online of the scream, starry night, or the mona lisa; its nothing like seeing it in person though. or dinosaur skeletons, looking at some 3d model on your tv can never represent actually seeing it in person; towering above you.

[quote name='propeller_head']i dunno that's taking it a little to far imo. i mean, most of the experience of going to a musem is seeing the actual artwork in person. 20/20 vision a few feet away in reality. any1 can look at a jpeg online of the scream, starry night, or the mona lisa; its nothing like seeing it in person though. or dinosaur skeletons, looking at some 3d model on your tv can never represent actually seeing it in person; towering above you.[/quote]

No you're right, it won't be the same. Though there is artwork that most people will NEVER be able to actually see in person in their life time, why not in a virtual space?

Might even give them the nerve to fly half way across the country, or even around the world to experince it for real. This is the case for the "virtual museum" that are already online. Most I have seen are just webpages with links to images of certain artifacts.

We're just brain storming, though I think they could come up with something better then slapping a "jpeg" on a wall. :)

Other things I have heard is that game bloggers (and I guess others too) might do shows from within the Home world. That way they could share their shows (either live or pre-recorded) and get feedback from people. I know of a few who have said they were interested but I don't know the details of how they plan to take advantage of this.

Phil said you could tack on parts of web pages to the commerical areas. So you might one day go to a CAG "world", look up on a wall and see the latest game deals, trot over to a video screen and watch CheapyD's newest unboxing video, and then plop on a couch to chat with other CAG around you while listen to the latest CAG Cast. Not that something like this would happen, but it is an example of what might be possible.

maybe ign or gamespot can do a live video review of some of their stuff in a special theater room or something. Grab a mic and upload a video from their hard drive and they can field questions and such.

Though I can't even begin to imagine the kind of bandwidth they'd need to conduct multiple sessions like that. Guess they'd need to keep it small though if they really do intend to keep Home free.

[quote name='NamPaehc']No you're right, it won't be the same. Though there is artwork that most people will NEVER be able to actually see in person in their life time, why not in a virtual space?

Might even give them the nerve to fly half way across the country, or even around the world to experince it for real. This is the case for the "virtual museum" that are already online. Most I have seen are just webpages with links to images of certain artifacts.

We're just brain storming, though I think they could come up with something better then slapping a "jpeg" on a wall. :)

Other things I have heard is that game bloggers (and I guess others too) might do shows from within the Home world. That way they could share their shows (either live or pre-recorded) and get feedback from people. I know of a few who have said they were interested but I don't know the details of how they plan to take advantage of this.

Phil said you could tack on parts of web pages to the commerical areas. So you might one day go to a CAG "world", look up on a wall and see the latest game deals, trot over to a video screen and watch CheapyD's newest unboxing video, and then plop on a couch to chat with other CAG around you while listen to the latest CAG Cast. Not that something like this would happen, but it is an example of what might be possible.[/quote]

i guess i can see what youre saying. but to me it just doesnt make much practical sense. you can just go to the CAG forums to talk to other CAGers, and all the news is on the front page. having a virtual room doesnt really add anything to the experience. imo, if anything it makes it more convoluted since every1s talking at once.

i could kind of see an art gallery work if they implemented super-high res scans and you could say cursor over the art on the wall and it would blow it up to take up your whole screen & you could move around & zoom in and out on it. still hard to represent brush strokes on a LCD though since they have a texture & look different from different angles. 3d artwork like sculptures, artifacts, dino bones etc.. i dont see working at all though. i mean it might be a novelty, but it would wear off in like 5 mins for me.

the cost of doing all this in would also be very high. so unless there are coke ads every 5 feet it will likely never get done, in which case it kinda detracts from any immersivenes there would have otherwise been.

[quote name='imascrub']maybe ign or gamespot can do a live video review of some of their stuff in a special theater room or something. Grab a mic and upload a video from their hard drive and they can field questions and such.

Though I can't even begin to imagine the kind of bandwidth they'd need to conduct multiple sessions like that. Guess they'd need to keep it small though if they really do intend to keep Home free.[/QUOTE]

I just like the idea of being able to meet developers in special rooms so that the public can ask questions and hang out.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I just like the idea of being able to meet developers in special rooms so that the public can ask questions and hang out.[/QUOTE]

I hope I can program a flying penis attack on said Q+A sessions.

propeller_head, everything I wrote I thought of and wrote within a few minutes as examples. I'm sure with more time effort much more interesting content could be created. So there really is no need to rebuke what is there, as they are just suggestions and aides to showing what might be possible.

We don't know how much anything of this will cost, so I think it is a bit unfair to say that it will cost will be high. I don't know what you could be basing that on.

Sony has stated that it will be "cheap and easy" to maintain this areas and I believe them. At least this will apply to people who really want to use the service and have ways to earn back some of their investments.

I don't know much about Second Life but I don't see them having huge banners or ads everywhere. They use some kind of fees for owning land (I think so...) and other small things to earn money for hosting everything. The only thing you might be able to point at as "costly" could be the video streaming. Though I do know that Second Life does have a way to stream audio, but I don't know much about the differance between the two.

MTV has a new article up.

Check out the video of Phil H. too.

New Home article highlights from Kotaku

"Apartments are just the start. They're working on homes, gardens, and "neighbourhoods".

Users will never be in an empty lobby - new lobbys will be spawned, like in an MMO, when the population hits 64, but they'll always be done so that a user is in a busy lobby, not sitting alone and despondant on the steps of the place, sobbing into his hands with despair.

While there's a low limit on the number of people you can have in your apartment (16), they're working on "clan rooms" which fall between a room and the lobby, and can accomodate larger groups of people.

The Sixaxis can be used for gesture controls. Phil gives a cute little wave as an example - wave the Sixaxis and your avatar will wave.
Harrison says they'd like to explore having 3rd-party publishers use your Home avatar in games.

The 3D space Home is built on is being worked on in London, but draws on tech coming out of San Diego and Tokyo, making it a worldwide collabo.

Home was originally conveived as a graphical lobby system for the PS2's online component, but when they thought it was too awesome for that, they decided to save it for the PS3."

hm i just thought of something maybe they're trying to copy the "free mmorpg" model where the game itself is free, but of course buying stuff like furniture, clothes, special customization items, etc etc would cost money.

didn't read through all the pages so maybe that was already mentioned before lol

[quote name='NamPaehc']propeller_head, everything I wrote I thought of and wrote within a few minutes as examples. I'm sure with more time effort much more interesting content could be created. So there really is no need to rebuke what is there, as they are just suggestions and aides to showing what might be possible.

We don't know how much anything of this will cost, so I think it is a bit unfair to say that it will cost will be high. I don't know what you could be basing that on.

Sony has stated that it will be "cheap and easy" to maintain this areas and I believe them. At least this will apply to people who really want to use the service and have ways to earn back some of their investments.

I don't know much about Second Life but I don't see them having huge banners or ads everywhere. They use some kind of fees for owning land (I think so...) and other small things to earn money for hosting everything. The only thing you might be able to point at as "costly" could be the video streaming. Though I do know that Second Life does have a way to stream audio, but I don't know much about the differance between the two.[/quote]

im roughly comparing the costs to your average mmorpg. which are usually something like $10 or $15 a month because of the bandwidth & content creation costs. the addition of video, worldscape & demo DLs will only add to it. i know very little about second life since i just heard of it, but from what ive read its funded by people who spend real cash on virtual money which they use to buy virtual stuff. but the virtual stuff is created by other players, instead of the game publishers themselves. so they eliminate the content creation costs and mainly just have to pay for the bandwidth.

i'd be interested to know what XBL costs MS per month, but i cant seem to find that info. i'd guess somewhere in the realm of 1-2 million $ a month in bandwidth and another million in maintenance + whatever development fees there may be. if any1 knows feel free to share :)

[quote name='imascrub']hm i just thought of something maybe they're trying to copy the "free mmorpg" model where the game itself is free, but of course buying stuff like furniture, clothes, special customization items, etc etc would cost money.

didn't read through all the pages so maybe that was already mentioned before lol[/quote] yea thats basically the gist of it. and advertising to ofset the cost too. im still a bit sceptical, but maybe theyre trying to amortize the cost since bandwidth is always getting cheaper. i just hope they dont get into more than they can handle considering they've already had to take out a gigantic loan just for the PS3.

[quote name='NamPaehc']Check out the video of Phil H. too.[/quote] poor phil, he looks like he hasnt slept since GDC. feel bad for the guy, you can tell how much stres hes under, keeps swallowing during the interview; def a tell. i really do hope for the best for Home & the PS3. competition always means better things for less $ for consumers. time will tell i guess.

[quote name='propeller_head']
poor phil, he looks like he hasnt slept since GDC. feel bad for the guy, you can tell how much stres hes under, keeps swallowing during the interview; def a tell. i really do hope for the best for Home & the PS3. competition always means better things for less $ for consumers. time will tell i guess.[/QUOTE]

Yes poor Phil and his hugeass paycheck ;)

Sony should do a GDC, or E3 presentation via Playstation Home... or a press conference. Not just Sony... but other copanies could do the same for their upcoming products and services.

[quote name='propeller_head']ibut the virtual stuff is created by other players, instead of the game publishers themselves. so they eliminate the content creation costs and mainly just have to pay for the bandwidth.[/quote]

Well starting out you are right, but in the FAQ I think it talks about player created content. I do know it mentioned an "auction system" there where you can trade/sell your items that is to come later.

Home isn't a game. I don't think people will be sitting there hours and hours just messing around with it like they might WoW. Might be a small factor in the cost of the bandwith's cost.

bread's done
Back