Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='utopianmachine']

Sounds like an abusive relationship. ;)[/QUOTE]
Oh it is. Steam always wins, but it's one I could never let go because Steam has become part of my best friends lives.

I liked Zeno Clash. The only drawback to the game is that you end up fighting most of the same enemies over and over. It has a cool sort of folklore to it, though, and the art/environments are neat. Also, very strange and kind of creepy at times, heh. I paid $10 for it, and definitely recommend it at $3.75!

[quote name='utopianmachine']I think a billion of us already got it from the Humble Indie Bundle #2.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I missed that bundle... or skipped it. I'm not sure which. Hard to believe I skipped it since I usually buy it anyway and give all the money to charity even if I don't want the games (aka, the Frozen Byte bundle).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']My new goal is to not buy anything off Steam until the Thanksgiving sale. That is unless one of those daily deals pop up that are incredible. We will see how long I last, lol.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok so I lied. [/QUOTE]

20 whole minutes, that must be a new record, lol.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Ok so I lied. I thought Cthulhu Saves the World would be my last purchase until the next sale, but god damn this looks fun. I am in because it looks like a decent first person game.

I have a love-hate relationship with Steam going on. I love it until the sales, and then we do our thing and then I hate it for the next few weeks for raping my wallet, then it's all good again :lol:.[/QUOTE]

You sir, definitely have Steamitus. :D

Anyone buy Dungeons of Dredmor? First rogue-like on the steam store, afaik. Looks intriguing and it's only $5. Think I may buy it since I enjoy rogue-likes.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Anyone buy Dungeons of Dredmor? First rogue-like on the steam store, afaik. Looks intriguing and it's only $5. Think I may buy it since I enjoy rogue-likes.[/QUOTE]

It looks interesting, but I'm not a big fan of how the battles look. Still, I may get it in the future if it goes on sale.

[quote name='doodofdoods']Anyone buy Dungeons of Dredmor? First rogue-like on the steam store, afaik. Looks intriguing and it's only $5. Think I may buy it since I enjoy rogue-likes.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='utopianmachine']It looks interesting, but I'm not a big fan of how the battles look. Still, I may get it in the future if it goes on sale.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. It looks cool, but after watching the video, I'm not sure about the battles. If it had a demo, I'd be checking it out. $2-ish is my max for a blind buy on something like this.

If you like rogue-likes it is worth a look at. TotalBiscuit did a WTF is of it that you can watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyTfUnnxZV4&feature=channel_video_title

I am not a massive rogue-like fan but I am having a great deal of fun with this game. My only complaint would be the UI is a bit small.

Hmmm... the excitement TotalBiscuit has for Dungeons of Dredmor is a bit infectious. After watching him play a bit, the combat doesn't seem so bad. It was unclear from the trailer that the combat is actually turn-based (basically). I'm not going to jump on it right now as my backlog is way too large after the summer sale (and I caved and bought the Cthulu/Breath of Death pack yesterday) for me to spend another $5 on a game, but it's definitely going on my "to buy" list.

[quote name='cgarb84']I took a shot on the indie RPG 2-pack. They both look like fun, and for $2.69 I just said fuck it lol.[/QUOTE]

I played and beat Breath of Death on the 360. Fun and even funny if you're an old school RPG player. The last dungeon is a bit tedious, but all around it was worth it. I purchased Cthulu but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

However, I liked Breath so much that I bought the two-pack on Steam just to encourage and fund more games like it.

[quote name='choral_music']I played and beat Breath of Death on the 360. Fun and even funny if you're an old school RPG player. The last dungeon is a bit tedious, but all around it was worth it. I purchased Cthulu but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

However, I liked Breath so much that I bought the two-pack on Steam just to encourage and fund more games like it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't know Breath of Death was on 360. May look into picking that up. I went ahead and picked up the 2 pack because I like the old turn based RPGs, and I try to support the indie scene.

[quote name='CapnO']Whats the game time on BoD7 and CStW? I don't have 60+ hours to give to an old school style RPG- though wish I did.[/QUOTE]

haven't played them yet, but reviews i looked at on rpgamer.com said ~4 hours for BoD and ~8 hours for cthulhu.

So did we have any wishlist winners here? The prize list was... interesting. Someone actually had Killing Floor - Steampunk DLC as one of their games. And Star Trek online? Seriously?

If you won through tickets, you'd have an e-mail saying you won by end of day yesterday. If you're a mail-in winner, then they'll mail you back saying you've won, which is by the 1st of the next month I think?

Didn't win, but I had fun during the Summer Sale. The whole ticket thing got me to take a look at and eventually buy a few great games that I would've overlooked entirely had there not been any focus drawn to them. 10 free games would be nice, but that's good enough for me.

I had to write myself a note to buy Zeno Clash today. Seriously I was talking to a friend on Steam last night and I forgot to buy that and the RPG double pack and Zeno Clash.

Thank god Zeno Clash is the weekend deal or I would of been kicking myself today :lol:.

Was hoping I'd win, but didn't think I would. The odds are astronomical against you. But I still had a blast with the sale - racked up 27 tickets, which was the first time I was actually able to participate in one of their treasure hunt/ticket acquisition games.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I had to write myself a note to buy Zeno Clash today. Seriously I was talking to a friend on Steam last night and I forgot to buy that and the RPG double pack and Zeno Clash.

Thank god Zeno Clash is the weekend deal or I would of been kicking myself today :lol:.[/QUOTE]

That not buying any Steam games is working well for you. :D

[quote name='INCyr']Was hoping I'd win, but didn't think I would. The odds are astronomical against you. But I still had a blast with the sale - racked up 27 tickets, which was the first time I was actually able to participate in one of their treasure hunt/ticket acquisition games.[/QUOTE]

I did have a blast though, it was just fun altogether. I'm not going to be mad if I didn't win anyway ;)

i know this is a longshot
but i have 27.47USD on my steam wallet that i would like to convert to paypal or amazon GC.
thus if you guys have anything you like to purchase from Steam, please let me know. paypal or amazon GC me and I'll send the game to you as a gift :)

thanks!

[quote name='gunstar808']So did we have any wishlist winners here? The prize list was... interesting. Someone actually had Killing Floor - Steampunk DLC as one of their games. And Star Trek online? Seriously?[/QUOTE]Prize list? What prize list are you referring to and what about those games, they were on someones wishlist who won you mean?

[quote name='TestType']Prize list? What prize list are you referring to and what about those games, they were on someones wishlist who won you mean?[/QUOTE]

On the Steam forums under General Discussion you can find a list of the games given out as prizes (IE The games that were on the 100 peoples top 10 wish lists). Doesn't list the people who won though.

[quote name='utopianmachine']That not buying any Steam games is working well for you. :D[/QUOTE]
No it is not. Well I plan to only hit major deals now until the next big sale. The RPG two pack has Cthulhu in it so that is worth the price of admission.

Also I need to start saving up for a new rig. Hopefully I can get $700 saved up by end of the year or so. If not by at least early next year.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']Anybody know how long new releases (i.e. the Cthulhu pack) are usually on sale at the 10% off "new release" price?[/QUOTE]

I would say till next week at least

Zeno Clash is worth the money.

The game is basically a first person combat game that works, albeit in chunks. It's a game that is extremely enjoyable if played in chunks. Play a length of it in a single sitting however and it will start to wear you out.

How Zeno Clash works is that after a small pieces of story, your character will have to combat enemies with hand to hand or weapon based combat. This is pretty interesting and involving, since the play mechanics felt relatively unique and accessible to me when I played it.

The art style is however outstanding. But the story is kind of obtuse (only played halfway through last time before my computer needed formatting) and hard to get. It's relatively myth and tribal based and it would require a little bit of getting your head around.

[quote name='mcthatch']Somebody sell me on Revenge of the Titans....buy now or wait for a cheaper price? I've got a ridiculous backlog.[/QUOTE]
One of the best tower defense games going

Let's say it's going to hit 75-80% in the next sale, that's only 1.25-2 dollar difference so if you play it now get it now if it's just going to be backlog then wait.

[quote name='The Nephilim']"Connectivity
Requires the Steam Client to Install & Play"[/QUOTE]

wow, I didn't even see that. I will pick this up then!!!

Anyone know of any good Torchlight mod sites? I know that there were a few listed when it was on sale during the daily deal but I've dug through this thread and haven't had any luck finding such links.

I bought Shogun 2 at Amazon last night after realizing I can activate it on Steam. Yay. The reason I did so was because of the B2G1, and Yakuza 4 being the deal of the day.

Not sure why I'm telling everyone, but if anyone else wants Shogun 2 for $29.99 and wants to use it as part of the B2G1, it's fair game. (Yakuza 4 is still deal of the day and still part of the B2G1 as well.)

Anyone sitting on the fence with the Cthulhu pack should just buy it!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back