Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also want to highly recommend Amnesia. Frictional hit it out of the park with that game. It takes what they started with Penumbra and improved on it. Very scary game. I know people are waiting for Dead Space to go lower but that game is the real deal if you haven't played it. It is AMAZING. It is the closest you'll get to a remake of System Shock 2. I loved every minute of it.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Swords & Soldiers just came out right? is it any good?

[/QUOTE]

I really like it. A side-scrolling RTS that gets quite frantic at times. Well worth $2.50

Finally a day with some nice indie selections as opposed to a litany of military shooters. I'll probably grab Swords and Soldiers, Greed Corp, and Amnesia. Only reason I'd hesitate on the former is the off chance they'd be put in an indie bundle sometime down the road but that's quite a gamble.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Any thoughts on Archon?[/QUOTE]

Remake of an old C64 game which I loved. For that price it isn't bad although I found the animations and game play to be a bit clunky.

Interested in Swords and Soldiers, is it worth the asking price?

Otherwise, I haven't heard of most of today's stuff, Amnesia looks awesome, so I'll be trying to get someone to gift me it at the lower price, but are any of the other titles must-haves or particularly compelling?

[quote name='nflsonic']Odd, I wanted to pick up Amnesia, but it's not showing up the discounted price of $4.80 since I already own Penumbra: Overture. Is this affecting anyone else? Should I wait a bit to see if this get's fixed?[/QUOTE]

Overture from the HIB?

I wonder if because the HIB is a unique license it doesn't count towards the discount. Maybe with enough miffed HIB owners emailing customer support they'll add the HIB license to the discount-eligible list. I'd wait.

The only reason I'm hesitant on getting Amnesia is due to when I played it around Halloween, it felt like a game that I would continously be reloading from my save point as I try to find the best way to make use of the latern and how many candles to light. That felt like it would get too tedious after awhile. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Only thing I'm slightly interested in is Quake collection.. but several things are holding me back

Good things:
Quake 1
Quake 2

Who cares/junk:
2 Quake 1 mission packs
2 Quake 2 mission packs
Quake 3 Arena & Team Arena - Anyone who wants to play this can just play the much better free QuakeLive.

Terrible:
No Quake 4 (WTF?)

This should have been cheaper than yesterdays doom collection I bit on. Wish I could just buy quake 1 and 2 for a few bucks.

[quote name='Rohsiph']Overture from the HIB?

I wonder if because the HIB is a unique license it doesn't count towards the discount. Maybe with enough miffed HIB owners emailing customer support they'll add the HIB license to the discount-eligible list. I'd wait.[/QUOTE]

just added Amnesia to my cart and it shows up at $4.80, I also got Penumbra from the HIB bundle

[quote name='Rohsiph']Overture from the HIB?

I wonder if because the HIB is a unique license it doesn't count towards the discount. Maybe with enough miffed HIB owners emailing customer support they'll add the HIB license to the discount-eligible list. I'd wait.[/QUOTE]

I have overture from the HIB and I was able to get Amnesia for $4.80.

Greed corp seems interesting with the other strategic twist, the only issue I'd have would be that the twist is too powerful and would be the only focus for every match. Any one have any insight on this game?

Also swords and soldiers at 2.50 becomes an impulsive buy for me. Would have also gotten PvZ but I already have it and played all the way through it which oddly is rare for me these days (finish a game).

[quote name='johnny konami']Soooo in for Archon. One of my favorite games from my Commodore 64 days! Also in for Swords and Soldiers, and probably the Ball (trying the demo now)[/QUOTE]

If you play it at all today let us know how Archon is. i played the old NES version recently and it seemed pretty cool, but I am wondering if this translation holds up.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you play it at all today let us know how Archon is. i played the old NES version recently and it seemed pretty cool, but I am wondering if this translation holds up.[/QUOTE]
Whoa, I thought I was the only one in existence that had/has the NES version of Archon.

Good memories, actually.

Nothing for me today, but everyone who does not have Amnesia should jump on that right now. I payed $13 for it during the Halloween special and it was worth every cent, if you are a fan of the horror game genre this is an absolute must play and personally is my game of the year. Not to knock Dead Space (because I love the game) but Amnesia makes that game look like Viva Pinata when it comes to scare factor.

Gonna get Swords and Soldiers. I want Amnesia but I think I am going to hold off to see if the potato is a lie, lol. I just hate buying games twice.

Ugh, so torn. I already have Amnesia from Frictional Games, but would love to get it on Steam. But I'm not sure it's really worth it to rebuy - other than ease of installation, and it's already installed on both my computers. But then, I also wouldn't mind supporting Frictional a bit more - they really deserve the support.

Also pondering Greed Corp. Just not sure that I'd actually play it.

I'd pass on Quake, I bought that earlier in the year and found out that I still have to do a whole work around (patches) to get it to run on Win7.

Debating on City of Heroes, I heard that is going free to play next year and Sniper: Ghost Warrior looks interesting.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If you play it at all today let us know how Archon is. i played the old NES version recently and it seemed pretty cool, but I am wondering if this translation holds up.[/QUOTE]

Gonna give it a go now, will report back in a few.

Archon has a demo uploaded to Steam if you're able to download/play from where you are now.

Does it seem to anyone else there's a lot less four-packs this year? The only ones I've seen this year was for BioShock 2 and Borderlands.

Think I'll probably get Dead Space today. $5 was my price point, but I really want to play it and I won't quibble about two bucks. The indie games look interesting too.

[quote name='Blackshear']Only thing I'm slightly interested in is Quake collection.. but several things are holding me back

Good things:
Quake 1
Quake 2

Who cares/junk:
2 Quake 1 mission packs
2 Quake 2 mission packs
Quake 3 Arena & Team Arena - Anyone who wants to play this can just play the much better free QuakeLive.

Terrible:
No Quake 4 (WTF?)

This should have been cheaper than yesterdays doom collection I bit on. Wish I could just buy quake 1 and 2 for a few bucks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if I could buy Quake 1 and 2 for 2-3 bucks, I'd be all over it.

Nothing for me today. But if anyones on the fence with Hearts of Iron 3. It's a pretty good Grand Strategy game set during WWII.

hmm, skipped SMB for $3.75 twice waiting for the rumored Indie Potato Pack. Amniesia looks really fun though and almost bought it last month on sale. Gotta decide if I should continue to hold out... plenty of games to play either way though so no big deal at all if I wait for another sale. If I miss it I miss it.

I think I will get Swords and Soliders though and possibly Plants vs Zombies and Archon Classic.

[quote name='INCyr']Ugh, so torn. I already have Amnesia from Frictional Games, but would love to get it on Steam. But I'm not sure it's really worth it to rebuy - other than ease of installation, and it's already installed on both my computers. But then, I also wouldn't mind supporting Frictional a bit more - they really deserve the support.

Also pondering Greed Corp. Just not sure that I'd actually play it.[/QUOTE]
I thought I read that frictional will give you a steam key if you request it.

[quote name='BitLooter']Does it seem to anyone else there's a lot less four-packs this year? The only ones I've seen this year was for BioShock 2 and Borderlands.

Think I'll probably get Dead Space today. $5 was my price point, but I really want to play it and I won't quibble about two bucks. The indie games look interesting too.[/QUOTE]

Its probably due to the Thanksgiving sale being all about the packs pretty much. Its nice to see less packs IMO.

Already own Kane & Lynch for Xbox, and have Dead Space for Xbox and PC already.

I highly recommend Dead Space, its a great game!

Other than that... nothing there for me.

Very surprised Quake collection didn't have Quake 4. Really?

Well today nothing for me today. Got the games I would be interested in already. Some on Steam some not.

• Got Greed Corp during an XBLA sale haven't played it yet Doh!
  • Got Sword and Soldiers for $6 on steam barely played it Doh!
  • And just bought PvZ GOTY at D2D on Tuesday for $4 cause I didn't want to miss on on their coupon plus sale Doh!

Definitely in for Amnesia and S+S, maybe Greed Corp and PvZ. I must be the only person in the intergalactic universe to not have played PvZ.

I dig tower defense games, so I'm guessing this should be a must buy?

Also, any insight on Greed Corp?

PvZ is definitely a must buy for anyone who loves tower defense. It's not as challenging as most tower defense games but the humor more than makes up for that -- especially at $4.

Greed Corp review on steam forums posted by Lurpsukka

Pros:

- Turn Based Strategy, you can never have enough of these.
- Easy to understand tutorial
- Beautiful landscape
- Online features
- Tactical gameplay

Cons:

- Few units and buildings
- Music might get bland
- No variety in enemy units
- Lack of walker animations

Conclusion:

7.5/10, good fun for a while.

Seems like there's a lack of things you can actually do in the game, with one or two units and about 5-6 commands. I think I'll pass on this.

In for Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood! Now I have all 3! :bouncy:
I have Brothers In Arms: Earned in Blood in retail box, but it doesn't work in Windows 7.

Everyone should get the pack... $9.99 and you get all 3.

[quote name='Unicorntard']In for Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood! Now I have all 3! :bouncy:
I have Brothers In Arms: Earned in Blood in retail box, but it doesn't work in Windows 7.

Everyone should get the pack... $9.99 and you get all 3.[/QUOTE]

steam version works in windows 7?

I looked up Archon some more, and damn, it looks pretty damn cool. Still not sure about Swords and Soldiers. The quick pick up and play sounds good though.

[quote name='gxer2002']steam version works in windows 7?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

The boxed version of Earned In Blood has DRM (I think its just a disc check) and the game only works in XP. Ubisoft never released a patch for it to work on Windows 7. So if you have Windows 7, this is one of the only ways to play it in Windows 7.

Road to Hill 30 and Hell's Highway boxed games work in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

All 3 Steam games work in XP, Vista and 7.

I bought the boxed version of of Earned in Blood and didn't know that before. Now, I just have it for the awesome cover art. :D

5112H1YNFPL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just played the amnesia demo and thats creepy as hell, im gonna bite and get that. also played crysis for about an hour and thats a pretty awesome game.

[quote name='johnny konami']Gonna give it a go now, will report back in a few.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little biased but I'm personally delighted with Archon. I would wager to say that the realtime battle would put a lot of newcomers off, though. The basic gist for those who haven't played - you control fantasy themed characters on a chess board - to try to take control of points. You can control all the points to win, or rout the other player. That part is turn based. When two players are on the same tile though, it shifts into an action game. Both characters move to an arena and you have to fight to the death. This part feels pretty accurate to the original archon, but it's kind of antiquated also. Also, I got my ass handed to me using a keyboard. After I switched to a 360 controller though, I did better.

For people that have played archon before, they have added some nice things like different boards to play on, the ability to level up characters (kinda like fire emblem), and you can choose between new 3D versions of the characters or play with the old 2D sprites. For 2.50 I'm pleased, fans of the original should go for it. I was gonna drop 4.99 on it at the end of the sale so this was a pleasant surprise.

[youtube]deGeY6Ibb0E[/youtube][youtube]3phjAWwY4Ks[/youtube]

Holiday Sale Daily Deals
12/29

[youtube]b8AMJriX2mA[/youtube][youtube]oDSrJdj06j4[/youtube]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back