Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='BGriffith']Weekend deal is Metro 2033 for 9.99 (50% off)...would bite but I'm sure it'll probably be $5 during the summer sale...[/QUOTE]
Me too, it's so tempting since I want this game but I won't get to it anytime soon and I'm gonna play through Stalker: SoC first, so I should really wait for the probable summer sale to get it for $5... My trigger finger is still itching for that buy button.

[quote name='topplehat']Looks somewhat interesting, anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

I've tried the demo they had, but that was last year. I think my computer had a lot of slow downs with it. Granted it was the demo so, but overall I would say its worth $5. It basically makes fun of jrpgs outright, like the main character was always depressed and one moment he's not depressed and gets a light on him. Than goes back to being depressed shortly after and the other guy is the opposite, he's a ladies man and he's always happy.

The demo is still floating around the internet, so try it first before you invest that $5 .

[quote name='BGriffith']Weekend deal is Metro 2033 for 9.99 (50% off)...would bite but I'm sure it'll probably be $5 during the summer sale...[/QUOTE]Heh. I've still got all the install files from the pooch screw Homefront nVidia Store promo; just need a Steam key. Since I'm uber-backlogged, I'm going to wait until the eventual $5 sale, but if/when I buy it, will I be able to just get the key and avoid re-downloading all the 7+ GB of installer files?

[quote name='BGriffith']Weekend deal is Metro 2033 for 9.99 (50% off)...would bite but I'm sure it'll probably be $5 during the summer sale...[/QUOTE]

If my math is correct, Gamersgate will have this for $4.99 tomorrow for their Easter sale Deal of the Day.

[quote name='wankerjr']If my math is correct, Gamersgate will have this for $4.99 tomorrow for their Easter sale Deal of the Day.[/QUOTE]

Since Metro 2033 is a Steamworks game, and Steam lists the game on their Retail CD Keys list, then I will definitely be in for the game at $5.

Seeing as I just got StarCraft 2 in from Amazon today, I'm in no rush to buy games.

But I will if they're $5. :D

[quote name='wankerjr']If my math is correct, Gamersgate will have this for $4.99 tomorrow for their Easter sale Deal of the Day.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ForeStorm']Since Metro 2033 is a Steamworks game, and Steam lists the game on their Retail CD Keys list, then I will definitely be in for the game at $5.

Seeing as I just got StarCraft 2 in from Amazon today, I'm in no rush to buy games.

But I will if they're $5. :D[/QUOTE]

Yup just saw that posted will probably bite but not play till I finish portal 2 and GTA4 and Episodes.

D2D has Civ 5 (Steam) on sale for 40% + another 25% on the remaining if you use the Easter Code. (BUNNY or RABBIT depending US or UK)

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Anyone know when the next big sale is for Steam? Is it July 4th? Making my wishlist now. :)[/QUOTE]

historically, anyway. i think last year it started at the end of june and lasted ~10 days.

[quote name='houdinilogic']historically, anyway. i think last year it started at the end of june and lasted ~10 days.[/QUOTE]

I assumed you couldn't look into the future. :lol:

Thanks man. That's what I thought.

[quote name='HeSaveDave']Anyone know when the next big sale is for Steam? Is it July 4th? Making my wishlist now. :)[/QUOTE]

What houdinilogic said. So about a month and a half for saving. I also recommend you start putting some cash in your Steam wallet so you don't run into any credit card problems in case you need to buy a lot of games. Kind of like a Steam savings account.

[quote name='CreepinDeth']What houdinilogic said. So about a month and a half for saving. I also recommend you start putting some cash in your Steam wallet so you don't run into any credit card problems in case you need to buy a lot of games. Kind of like a Steam savings account.[/QUOTE]

Good idea kind sir. I will do it. :bouncy:

totally forgot about the credit card issues that come up during the event sales... it's never been a problem for me but caching some funds in the wallet is a good idea :)

When the big Steam sale hits, I'll resume updating the thread daily and including videos and review links for games. I wish I could do that all the time, but I'm working 3 jobs right now and it's difficult.

Thanks Wolfpup. Yeah, working at a hotel on weekends, substitute teaching during the week, and writing for WPCentral is harrowing. At least during the summer I won't have to worry about substituting. :)

I have an extra copy of Metro on Steam, I'd be willing to let go for an amazon GC for like 5 dollars or something. I can send first too. Pm if anyone's interested, I work until 2:30 tonight so if you don't hear back that's why.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']I have an extra copy of Metro on Steam, I'd be willing to let go for an amazon GC for like 5 dollars or something. I can send first too. Pm if anyone's interested, I work until 2:30 tonight so if you don't hear back that's why.[/QUOTE]PM sent.

I do! I'd guess $5 for Arma II in the Summer Sale.

It's already cheaper than $8 today, in fact: if you have any British friends you could ask them to gift you a $6.60 copy and you PayPal them the cost. ;)

I bought Warband from Impulse a few weeks ago, but I may double dip for the Complete pack now. That's not a bad deal.

Keep in mind original Mount and Blade has nothing that Warband doesn't have already. The complete pack is mostly a scam -- no different than buying Warband + Fire with Sword (although technically you don't lose any money but it isn't as big a bargain as you might think).

[quote name='Mooby']Keep in mind original Mount and Blade has nothing that Warband doesn't have already. The complete pack is mostly a scam -- no different than buying Warband + Fire with Sword (although technically you don't lose any money but it isn't as big a bargain as you might think).[/QUOTE]

Absolutely this, since the game has no story or structured campaign to speak of, you will not be missing out on anything.

That said, the games are AWESOME. It takes many hours to get a sizable army and your own piece of land, but the combat is fun enough to keep your attention until you get there. I've logged about 30 hours across M&B original & Warband. I'll definitely be picking up Fire.

If the new Mount and Blade game "Fire and Sword" is out soon, is there any reason for me to get Warband?
I'm sure I'd spend all my time with the new game...

Is the new game standalone? And if so.. why is its regular 14.99 and warband regular price is 29.99?

Confused, and considering which option to take.. I know everyone drools over warband, and I'm curious to find out why, b/c from the screens and youtube's i've seen it looks awful. But there must be something to it, since so many people love it.

-Mike

MM07 from what I understand Warband is set in a fictional setting while Fire and Sword is actually supposed to be a more historical setting. Fire and sword also appears to have single shot pistols, rifles and grenades but If I am not mistaken their is a mod for warband that includes things of that nature. I am looking into getting one of these games myself so it might be worth it to research both games a little more and decide if your going to try some of the mods out there as well.

[quote name='Mooby']Keep in mind original Mount and Blade has nothing that Warband doesn't have already. The complete pack is mostly a scam -- no different than buying Warband + Fire with Sword (although technically you don't lose any money but it isn't as big a bargain as you might think).[/QUOTE]
actually there are some mods that are only compatible with mount & blade 1.011 and these mods are awesome (chronicles of talera, hegemony, etc.)

[quote name='mm07']If the new Mount and Blade game "Fire and Sword" is out soon, is there any reason for me to get Warband?
I'm sure I'd spend all my time with the new game...

Is the new game standalone? And if so.. why is its regular 14.99 and warband regular price is 29.99?

Confused, and considering which option to take.. I know everyone drools over warband, and I'm curious to find out why, b/c from the screens and youtube's i've seen it looks awful. But there must be something to it, since so many people love it.

-Mike[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way initially with Warband. It takes some getting use to the sucky graphics and bland text screens. But once you delve deep into it, it gets addicting. My favorite part so far was when I was aligned with a faction and they asked me and my 30+ men to assist raiding another faction's castle. We had to run at an angle to the drawbridge that slowly dropped all they while the enemy archers at the battlements were raining arrows on us. We never got in and had to retreat and I lost half my men. Good times. :bouncy:

That said, it's very deep. I've never played Fable 2 or 3, but it sounds similar except more RPG than arcadey-like. I haven't even got into the huge amount of mods out there too. There's even Star Wars mods!

I will NEVER understand the appeal of M&B. Don't get me wrong, it's good fun. Just download the demo and give it a shot. But the lasting appeal isn't there. The endgame is just a dreadful, pointless grind.

The game is basically Sid Meier's Pirates, only instead of doing piracy, you travel and do the medieval battle fighting. The combat system is kinda cute at times, nothing special but definitely something worth trying. RPG stats govern a large chunk of it though, which deadens the experience a bit. Lords will respawn with armies that would take you ingame months to amass within days of getting wiped out. Quests, other Lord AI, pacing, economics, and fief management are all pathetic at best and a complete waste of time at worst. Battling is the game's single strong suit and it is good fun at that.

Warband and M&B original is STILL a marketing ripoff that would make whatever the video game community's generic evil game company of the week is (It's usually EA or Activision but I can't keep up) blush. It's offensive that they still sell the original separately. I don't even understand most of the mods. They don't really do a lot to fix the problems of the game. Even the Star Wars mods feel cheap and dirty. They do offer a lot of pacing changes though.

Fire and Sword is being designed by a different team, I believe, so it could be an entirely different animal. I could be wrong on that fact though, but at the price, I don't expect more than incremental upgrades. Best to expect little and be pleasantly surprised.

Still, $6, Warband will give you value on your dollar for that. I give it a recommendation at that price. Don't buy the original unless you really feel you don't deserve your own money. And if you aren't convinced, go get you the demo and take a swing at it. The demo may be all you need for M&B anyway.

[quote name='Terlan']MM07 from what I understand Warband is set in a fictional setting while Fire and Sword is actually supposed to be a more historical setting. Fire and sword also appears to have single shot pistols, rifles and grenades but If I am not mistaken their is a mod for warband that includes things of that nature. I am looking into getting one of these games myself so it might be worth it to research both games a little more and decide if your going to try some of the mods out there as well.[/QUOTE]

According to the links from Wikipedia, the game's historical bits will be from Nobel Prize winner Henryk Sienkiewicz's epic 17th century Polish history trilogy, of which I am currently reading the second book (watching the films comes after).

This coincidence is so mind-boggling to me that I am going to make this my first pre-order since L4D2.

I'm also gonna hafta install the first two games, which've been sitting on my shelf for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back