Steam Deal Thread V1 - Thread closed. See V2 thread for the deals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam deal thread V1! Read post # 2 for Steam FAQs and more.

This thread is no longer being updated. Please visit the V2 thread for Steam deal discussion. Thanks to everyone who made this thread a success.

Group Buys - Updated 05/20

Several multiplayer Steam games are available in 2-packs or 4-packs. These packs offer a discount over buying multiple copies of a game separately. We also maintain group buy trade threads for several games, so please use those threads if you're interested in setting up a group buy.

Free Stuff
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.
Past Special Sales
Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmdragon']I got it for 1.88 and after trying it I kind of feel I should have held off honestly.[/QUOTE]

For me it was a no brainer, especially since I really like the Minecraft-esque games. I was super lucky and was able to get in on a group buy at $1.88.

[quote name='CapnO']People ridiculing other people's willingness to spend money at a site called cheapassgamer is comedy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, people set their own cheap prices, and want to buy the game for that price. If it goes above that, they don't buy it, why would they? It will be the same price, or less, the following sale.

The only argument against that is supporting the devs, but if the purchaser is not willing to spend more, they clearly don't think they will care THAT much for the game, and if they don't care THAT much for the game, why pay extra to support devs?

[quote name='dmdragon']I got it for 1.88 and after trying it I kind of feel I should have held off honestly.[/QUOTE]

How long have you played it? I felt like that at first, but it gets pretty cool once you start exploring, making houses, and crafting cool shit. Took me about an hour to get into it. And, for less than $2, it really isn't something to worry about. ;)

Also, any thoughts on Supreme Commander 2? I haven't played much RTS games, but I've been looking for a way into the genre. I have played Command and Conquer 3 on 360 and I didn't find that fun at all, if that helps. What about the Hitman series? Are they all awesome, or should I just get Blood Money?

[quote name='KingofGames']I understand your point, though your comparison isn't quite fair. The game I was referencing was Amnesia, which retails for $19.99. Again, $5 for a well regarded game is more than fair. People are asking for a 90% discount on a game that likely took hundreds of hours to complete. That's arrogance and greed in my book.[/QUOTE]

Are you for real? Seriously?

I'm sure when a new tv comes out that you want you are the first in line to go there and spend 10k on it to "reward" the developers, but not everyone wants to spend their entire paychecks on stuff. If I were you I would troll elsewhere as the site has the words cheap, and ass in it. You are on the wrong site, and if you are here and still paying full price for stuff

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Held for what?
A price drop? XD

[quote name='Wolfmight']Which pack is better?

Sam and Max Complete or Prince of Persia complete?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you like really.

If you like games full of action then get Prince of persia as sam and max has 0 action

If you like old school point and click games then get Sam and Max.

Both are wonderful in their genre

[quote name='scarhawk']Held for what? A price drop? XD[/QUOTE]

Not buying it period.. Good try though.

So the last day is just the 12 most popular deals or what? It's safe to buy anything that wasn't a daily at this point or should I still wait for tomorrow?

[quote name='sealionnn']
Also, any thoughts on Supreme Commander 2? I haven't played much RTS games, but I've been looking for a way into the genre. I have played Command and Conquer 3 on 360 and I didn't find that fun at all, if that helps. What about the Hitman series? Are they all awesome, or should I just get Blood Money?[/QUOTE]

I'm probably going to pick up SupCom 2, but if you're looking for a starting point into the genre look for Company of Heroes. It's very excellent.

[quote name='dmdragon']Are you for real? Seriously?

I'm sure when a new tv comes out that you want you are the first in line to go there and spend 10k on it to "reward" the developers, but not everyone wants to spend their entire paychecks on stuff. If I were you I would troll elsewhere as the site has the words cheap, and ass in it. You are on the wrong site, and if you are here and still paying full price for stuff

[/QUOTE]

The game was 75% off. I will gladly buy the newest technology at a 75% discount. What was your point exactly?

[quote name='KingofGames']The game was 75% off. I will gladly buy the newest technology at a 75% discount. What was your point exactly?[/QUOTE]

My point is that what YOU would spend is not what EVERYONE will spend. You've been alive this long and haven't figured out yet that people are different? I can only assume that you are paid by these companies to cheer for them, but it's really not necessary.

Also while I can't speak for amnesia, some games are overpriced to begin with. Duke Nukem at 75% off is still shit, and overpriced. Someone may feel that way about Amnesia. Just because you like it doesn't mean that someone else doesn't think that 20 bucks is overpriced and 5 bucks still so.

Trolling: You're doing it wrong.

[quote name='dmdragon']My point is that what YOU would spend is not what EVERYONE will spend. You've been alive this long and haven't figured out yet that people are different? I can only assume that you are paid by these companies to cheer for them, but it's really not necessary.

Also while I can't speak for amnesia, some games are overpriced to begin with. Duke Nukem at 75% off is still shit, and overpriced. Someone may feel that way about Amnesia. Just because you like it doesn't mean that someone else doesn't think that 20 bucks isn't overpriced.

Trolling: You're doing it wrong.[/QUOTE]

The only person trolling is you.

So don't question anything because people are different? Seriously, what is your point? I'm simply stating that if you had interest in Amnesia and you passed at $5, you should be ashamed of yourself. The industry that we so love requires our input and support (I'm talking about dollars) to continue to thrive. What exactly is wrong with my point? For the fifth time, I think 75% off is an ample discount. That is all.

The only person trolling is you.

/sigh

I am not the one insulting people for wanting to wait on something to be cheaper, the one i quoted was. Now, it would be good if you actually followed the story before interjecting your pointless opinion that added nothing to the thread or discussion. Thanks

By the way, the very definition of trolling is making a statement with nothing to back it up, and saying "You're the only one trolling" is the very definition of trolling.

[quote name='KingofGames']So don't question anything because people are different? Seriously, what is your point? I'm simply stating that if you had interest in Amnesia and you passed at $5, you should be ashamed of yourself. The industry that we so love requires our input and support (I'm talking about dollars) to continue to thrive. What exactly is wrong with my point? For the fifth time, I think 75% off is an ample discount. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Honestly my point was that instead of just giving your opinion like you just did by saying that you personally think it's worth 5 dollars you personally attacked people for not buying it calling them "Arrogant and greedy". Had you left that part out it wouldn't have been a problem.

I was always expecting the Terraria price to be $5 anyways. I understand why people are a little put off by the increase, but some of the reaction to it really separates the cheap asses from the gamers. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but you'll never see my panties in a twist over $2.50, much less posting my outrage on a message board over it.

Like 5 pages of people going on and on about the same thing. It sucks to be all excited about one thing and have it get turned around on you. It's not the last time it will happen. Let's move on.

[quote name='xHOJUx']I was always expecting the Terraria price to be $5 anyways. I understand why people are a little put off by the increase, but some of the reaction to it really separates the cheap asses from the gamers. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but you'll never see my panties in a twist over $2.50, much less posting my outrage on a message board over it.[/QUOTE]

but you have to keep in mind that extra $2.50 is a 40 oz of malt liquor

[quote name='KingofGames']So don't question anything because people are different? Seriously, what is your point? I'm simply stating that if you had interest in Amnesia and you passed at $5, you should be ashamed of yourself. The industry that we so love requires our input and support (I'm talking about dollars) to continue to thrive. What exactly is wrong with my point? For the fifth time, I think 75% off is an ample discount. That is all.[/QUOTE]

I feel like two different things are being discussed here.

1. If a person had interest, I would agree 75% off $19.99 to $4.99 IS ample discount.

2. If a person is not that interested, doesn't want to pay $5, they may become intrigued by such a low price, $2.50, and become interested. I don't feel like said person should feel bad about not supporting game devs. This person has set a limit to what amount of interest they really have in a game, and is sticking to it.

In all honesty, if they are willing to spend $2.50 but not $5, then most likely they will never play it...because they are not that interested...in which case the devs got $2.50 for someone that didn't touch, or hardly touched the game..

But all in all, I feel like two different concepts are being lumped together that are very different.

[quote name='iso135']I feel like two different things are being discussed here.

1. If a person had interest, I would agree 75% off $19.99 to $4.99 IS ample discount.

2. If a person is not that interested, doesn't want to pay $5, they may become intrigued by such a low price, $2.50, and become interested. I don't feel like said person should feel bad about not supporting game devs. This person has set a limit to what amount of interest they really have in a game, and is sticking to it.

In all honesty, if they are willing to spend $2.50 but not $5, then most likely they will never play it...because they are not that interested...in which case the devs got $2.50 for someone that didn't touch, or hardly touched the game..

But all in all, I feel like two different concepts are being lumped together that are very different.[/QUOTE]

Well said, and I think that's where my end game was with that whole thing lol. I just don't think anyone should be talked down to because they want to wait on something to be cheaper. Personally I played the amnesia demo and wasn't all that impressed so I held out at 5 dollars and I might get it if it goes a bit cheaper but I just don't think I would even get 5 dollars of play out of it.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Terraria wasn't worth $2.50 to me. To each his own. Was just a dull game with nothing to speak of gameplay-wise.[/QUOTE]

I love your persistence, it convinces me that it is ok that i missed the $2.50 price. It did look dull to me as well, probably the best way to put it.

[quote name='Steggy']Is 50 the cheapest the valve pack has been?[/QUOTE]

hit 25 once as a price mistake, definitely a good deal if you have almost nothing in there and portal 2 in there now, on the other hand why have I bought a bunch of fps on steam when from the looks of it I'm never going to play them.

Oh by the way, I tried the HD mod for HL2 and the episodes, it's freaking amazing. It is however like 20 gigs to install, but it really updates the source engine well.. Look for Fake Factory CM10. Spoiler for size

from this

alyx_full.jpg

to this

alyx1.jpg

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh by the way, I tried the HD mod for HL2 and the episodes, it's freaking amazing. It is however like 20 gigs to install, but it really updates the source engine well.. Look for Fake Factory CM10. Spoiler for size[/QUOTE]

I also wanted to try Fake Factory, but I've always hated what they did to Alyx. Is there a way to make her not look awful and still use the mod? Like a HD version of her original model compared to the new model that makes her look like she could be the next transformers "actress"?

[quote name='Kaltic']I also wanted to try Fake Factory, but I've always hated what they did to Alyx. Is there a way to make her not look awful and still use the mod? Like a HD version of her original model compared to the new model that makes her look like she could be the next transformers "actress"?[/QUOTE]

The hd models are not installed by default, you have to use a program with it called "Character Pimper" to install the hd models, you can install any hd models you want or leave any of them the way they are. It's up to you

[quote name='dmdragon']The hd models are not installed by default, you have to use a program with it called "Character Pimper" to install the hd models, you can install any hd models you want or leave any of them the way they are. It's up to you[/QUOTE]

What I mean is there a original HD model because I think it might be weird to have upgraded visuals in everything else, but her.

[quote name='dmdragon']/sigh

I am not the one insulting people for wanting to wait on something to be cheaper, the one i quoted was. Now, it would be good if you actually followed the story before interjecting your pointless opinion that added nothing to the thread or discussion. Thanks

By the way, the very definition of trolling is making a statement with nothing to back it up, and saying "You're the only one trolling" is the very definition of trolling.

Honestly my point was that instead of just giving your opinion like you just did by saying that you personally think it's worth 5 dollars you personally attacked people for not buying it calling them "Arrogant and greedy". Had you left that part out it wouldn't have been a problem.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree with you.
Despite it being a very good price, I would have held off as well.
Although it may be satisfactory to many, some people are going to wait.

At times I'll buy a game at full $60 if its' something. It is worth it to me to buy the game at the full retail price because I want it when it releases. (Foolish I know)
But at times, I'll hold off on a game that's 75% sale b/c it's not something I want that much and b/c I believe prices will fall further.

In the end, people choose to spend their money differently.
Now, can we stop this argument?

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh by the way, I tried the HD mod for HL2 and the episodes, it's freaking amazing. It is however like 20 gigs to install, but it really updates the source engine well.. Look for Fake Factory CM10. Spoiler for size

from this

alyx_full.jpg

to this

alyx1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I remember when I was thirteen...

Yep, was intrigued by Terraria but I had to work today and missed the lower price point so won't be picking it up since someone decided to monkey with the price.

Ok price on Portal 2 but I'm sure it will go crazy lower in the christmas sale so I'll just wait for that.

Haven't ever played the first Hitman, but I heard it was pretty flawed and that they corrected most of the issues in the second game. Hitman 2 I have played and that is quite enjoyable, same with Blood Money as well as contracts (shame it isn't available on steam). Will probably pick up blood money to get in the mood for Hitman: absolution even though I already have it on PS2.

Sam and Max interests me but I barely cracked a smile during the trailers for each of the 5 packs. Does the humor not translate well into small clip-sized bites?

[quote name='cRodz']you dont fap anymore?

should be called Fap mod[/QUOTE]

This updates ALL the textures and adds a much more epic soundtrack also. I just posted a pic of Alyx as that is probably what some are interested in lol

[quote name='dmdragon']Oh by the way, I tried the HD mod for HL2 and the episodes, it's freaking amazing. It is however like 20 gigs to install, but it really updates the source engine well.. Look for Fake Factory CM10. Spoiler for size

from this

alyx_full.jpg

to this

alyx1.jpg
[/QUOTE]
holy titties, batman!

Hmm ... gotta say, after seeing those ... I still kind of prefer the way Valve did it ... those new skins don't really seem to capture the characters at all ... but maybe I'm in the minority here

I got in on the $2.50 Terraria price point, but after booting it up just now I kinda wish I hadn't. Seems like another of these open-ended "not really a game just a sandbox" deals, with the "quaint" 8-bit look for good measure. Oh well.

[quote name='argyle']I got in on the $2.50 Terraria price point, but after booting it up just now I kinda wish I hadn't. Seems like another of these open-ended "not really a game just a sandbox" deals, with the "quaint" 8-bit look for good measure. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I'll likely try it some more since I did buy it and all but that was my first impression as well.

I'm bummed that I missed out on Terraria... If anyone has a spot in their 4 pack for the game at the previous price point, PM me and I'll buy a key =).

In for Universe Sandbox and X Super Pack. The Universe Sandbox looks pretty awesome. I missed the deal on it, but am picking it up anyway.

[quote name='etcrane']Hmm ... gotta say, after seeing those ... I still kind of prefer the way Valve did it ... those new skins don't really seem to capture the characters at all ... but maybe I'm in the minority here[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Some characters are ok, Like Alyx's upgraded original model, and her dad besides the random eye color and clothing change. But what is with turning the combine into ninjas? Or the other girl changing from being 30-40 into being about 20 or younger.

[quote name='shosh']Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656[/QUOTE]

Good find, I didn't know that.

But the guy you replied to said he had:
"the original Half-Life games(half-life, counter-strike, day of defeat, deathmatch classic, blue shift, opposing force, and ricochet) and Portal."
He wouldn't be able to gift anything to anybody if he bought the Valve Complete Pack. Unless I'm misunderstanding what he was asking, or what your reply was.

Either way, I'm sure we can all agree that he should just man up and buy the Complete Pack. :whistle2:D It's the ultimate deal for a CAGer, especially since he's missing almost every Source game.

[quote name='CapnO']People ridiculing other people's willingness to spend money at a site called cheapassgamer is comedy.[/QUOTE]

Chuckling at the holier-than-thou 'tude from people who think developers somehow deserve more money than what they're charging for a game. When I find myself in the situation of championing a game that many people haven't played, I make an effort to buy copies and gift them to Steam friends. But asking people to pay more than they think a game is worth (to them) is silly.

I'm not suggesting that developers don't deserve to be compensated for their work. Far from it. I have coded for a living (not games, but still...), and for that reason I don't pirate games.

My point is just that I think everyone one this board on either side this silly argument deserve a thumbs up for being a software BUYER instead of a software STEALER, whatever your price point. :applause:

:grouphug:

Peace.

I aleady have a majority of the valve pack but still want it for a few items....

Would anyone want a gifted copy of HL2, HL2 Ep 1, HL2 Ep 2, Portal

In exchange for a gifted anything from you?

On the fence on getting this as I really wanna play HL2 wth th HD graphics and many of the others I have never played like L4D and Portals.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Yeah, the Valve pack always goes on sale for $50...every single steam sale.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm. Remembering that one one time when it was $25 for about 10 minutes at the beginning of a season sale... either the Winter sale or the Thanksgiving sale last year. That was a missed opportunity for a lot of people.

An accident, or a calculated strategy to get people buzzing about the sale? You decide! (Me, I find it hard to believe it could be a mistake.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back