Steam Deals Thread V13 ~ Star Wars Empire at War $6.80 | The Legend of Korra $10.04 | Red Faction Guerrilla $2.99 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Summer sale has come and gone; welcome to the Steam Deals Thread V13!

Stop: Before you go any further be sure you are using Enhanced Steam. It will save you a lot of time and embarrassment in the future.

Daily Deal
Star Wars: Empire at War Gold Edition - $19.99 $6.80

Yesterday's Deal

N/A

Midweek Madness
The Legend of Korra - $14.99 $10.04

Red Faction - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction II - $9.99 $1.49
Red Faction Armageddon - $19.99 $2.99
Red Faction Guerrilla - $19.99 $2.99 

Thanks to EastX, Detruire, Psydero, and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started playing Woodle Tree Adventures. I actually paid for my copy through a bundle.

The game is... pretty inoffensive, but that camera, man... it's making me have Bubsy 3D flashbacks. The horror... THE HORROR...
I think it was the 2nd or 3rd level where you need to jump on a vent, but the camera switches angles real quick and you go flying off to the side. That and the vent wouldn't always push me up, ugh that was a nightmare. I eventually got through it since playfire made me do it but that game is painful.

"At this point, many people’s first exposure to Lethal League was in 2013 as a flash game."

It is here, people... the age of Flash game/Web game/Facebook game turn to retail game :whee:
This whole indie game thing was fun while it lasted. When games like Super Meat Boy were coming out 3-4 years ago it seemed like this bright, shiny new world. Now we have to deal with this flash nonsense.

This whole indie game thing was fun while it lasted. When games like Super Meat Boy were coming out 3-4 years ago it seemed like this bright, shiny new world. Now we have to deal with this flash nonsense.
At least there are indie devs finally catering to my extraneous plugin needs and bringing quicktime back.

I just wished Flash-based stuff played nicer with Steam achievements.

Although it's become an overcrowded market, these "indie" games are pretty good:

Bleed
Castle Crashers
Crawl
Dungeon Defenders
Hotline Miami
Knight Squad
Pixel Piracy
Rogue Legacy
Savant: Ascent
Shovel Knight
SteamWorld Dig
Terraria
Trine Franchise

Not really Steam-related, but Bioware is getting rid of Bioware Points starting with DA:I.

They're not removing the system for current games though.
Good. I always thought this was stupid and they never had any sales on BP, so you could never get good deals on the DLCs unless you bought the super-deluxe versions of the games with the DLC already included. What are we, console peasants? Oh, wait, BioWare had sales on DLC all the time on the Xbox store! Grrr.

Anyway, a move to real-currency purchases using Origin can only be a good thing. I don't know what the guy in the article is pissing and moaning about--there's nothing wrong with Origin and as long as BioWare is part of EA, he'd better get used to the idea of using it if he wants to play BioWare games.

Good. I always thought this was stupid and they never had any sales on BP, so you could never get good deals on the DLCs unless you bought the super-deluxe versions of the games with the DLC already included. What are we, console peasants? Oh, wait, BioWare had sales on DLC all the time on the Xbox store! Grrr.

Anyway, a move to real-currency purchases using Origin can only be a good thing. I don't know what the guy in the article is pissing and moaning about--there's nothing wrong with Origin and as long as BioWare is part of EA, he'd better get used to the idea of using it if he wants to play BioWare games.
the problem with Bioware DLC is NOT the Bioware POINT.

The problem is there were NO SALE AT ALL on those points. Moving it to real life currency doesn't mean there will be sale though.

Getting rid of funny money points is a good thing. After dealing with ms points there was no way I was going to deal with bioware banana bucks.

The funny thing with the old ms
points was that they differentiated between game and music points but you had no way to tell. I couldn't buy points normally one time and somehow was able to through some Zune way. Then I tried to buy some game stuff and couldn't. After weeks of dealing with support they told me half my points were for music and the other was for games, even though it all showed as one amount. After that i said screw it to these funny currencies.

the problem with Bioware DLC is NOT the Bioware POINT.

The problem is there were NO SALE AT ALL on those points.
There was one that I can recall. See here.

Moving it to real life currency doesn't mean there will be sale though.
Yes, it does. Look at Origin's history: they've had plenty of sales since its inception. I see no reason to think that DLCs will not be part of that trend.

Yep, Origin actually does have DLC sales. I bought the Dead Space 3 DLC for 70% off a while ago.

As for the Mass Effect DLC, my last hope is that the game's rumored next-gen re-release will also come with a complete PC edition. It's a beautiful dream, anyway.

I bet EA still keeps that Sim points nonsense with Sims 4 though.
Probably. Unlike BioWare Points, that's a viable pseudocurrency. They've made a metric crapton of profit from selling those SimPoints bundles so that SimFanatics can buy the latest scenery, armoires, and outfits for their fake people.

I admit I'm an addict and buy all the expansions and even the stuff packs but I draw they line at buying fake money so I can buy a virtual chair or hairdo ala carte.

Probably. Unlike BioWare Points, that's a viable pseudocurrency. They've made a metric crapton of profit from selling those SimPoints bundles so that SimFanatics can buy the latest scenery, armoires, and outfits for their fake people.
I admit I'm an addict and buy all the expansions and even the stuff packs but I draw they line at buying fake money so I can buy a virtual chair or hairdo ala carte.
well, guess what? Horse Armor still sell ... obviously, not only the Sim ppl are the crazy bunch
http://www.totalxbox.com/26471/oblivions-horse-armour-still-sells-today/

Steam Support just removed the last game I didn't want from my profile. Goodbye, Nuclear Dawn. :D/

... now it'll show up in the Jumbo Bundle.

Time to IdleM@ster.

Are these different keys from ones given out previously? I got one earlier this month, and the redemption page later on said keys were no longer available. Checking the page you just linked gave me a key again.

Anyone is welcome to PM if they want to try key I just got to see if it works.

Are these different keys from ones given out previously? I got one earlier this month, and the redemption page later on said keys were no longer available. Checking the page you just linked gave me a key again.

Anyone is welcome to PM if they want to try key I just got to see if it works.
If you've already received a key, it gives you the key you got last time. You only get one per account.

Ran the Benchmark for Metro 2033 Redux multiple times. Weirdness. I get the most stable results with both Quality and Tesselation set to Very High. Going Low and Off respectively only upped my average frame rate by about 5FPS, but only because the end of the run spiked about 20 frames higher (to @100FPS up from 80ish). The meat of the run was on average not much different other than the frame rate was all over the place with lots of spikes and dips. No matter what settings I use, with the exception of turning on SSAA, my average frame rate for the run is around 30FPS (my average minimum on the graph provided is around 20), but as I mentioned, stability goes down when I drop the settings. Interestingly, it's evenly using all 4 cores of my i5 and I think it may actually be a bottleneck as it peaked at 100% and averaged around 70% usage during the run. For reference, I'm running a 7870.

tl;dr...Metro 2033 Redux is still brutal on hardware.

Edit: Funny add-on... Metro 2033 (vanilla) was the first game I purchased on Steam about 2 years ago. I have since acquired it a total of five times (not including the Redux). Never played it (on PC).

Not wanting to ruin some folks fun, but I hope this whole re-release thing fails.  The last thing I want to see added to the game development cycle is "remaster the game".  If used ethically, it's actually a great idea to boost  good games.  Game companies aren't ethical though.  Before you know it, they'll be stripping out things from the first release just so they can "add" or "improve" it in a re-release.

It sounds ridiculous, I know but they've already proven their willingnesss to screw over the consumer with things like DLC that should have been in the game in the first place.

Not wanting to ruin some folks fun, but I hope this whole re-release thing fails. The last thing I want to see added to the game development cycle is "remaster the game". If used ethically, it's actually a great idea to boost good games. Game companies aren't ethical though. Before you know it, they'll be stripping out things from the first release just so they can "add" or "improve" it in a re-release.

It sounds ridiculous, I know but they've already proven their willingnesss to screw over the consumer with things like DLC that should have been in the game in the first place.
step 0. sell them alpha version & call it "Early Access"

step 1. selling them beta version & call it "Release version"

step 2. add some bug fix & some BS gimmicky features & call it Director Cut

step 3. trickle down dlc & bundle it again --> GOTY version

step 4. re-release same game with upscale graphic, call it 4k version

step 5. rinse & repeat & profit

I'm sad to read that. Some people said it is a fast paced MP, like Quake, and I loved Quake 3 MP because it wast fast... but it had good controls. If Titanfall is a fast paced game but with bad controls, that is a mess.
Titanfall is excellent, and is leaps and bounds above CoD (although CoD Advanced Warfare looks much more like Titanfall than past CoDs). CoD is a fast paced, twitchy, insta-death MP shooter, but movement in CoD is limiting and very flat. Titanfall fixes that by increasing survivability through extremely free movement and high speed, and it adds a heavy vertical element to the game along with some very well designed, massive maps.

Titans are also very well implemented, and the balance between pilot and titan combat is unbelievably well balanced. The addition of titans also adds to the survivability factor, so Titanfall does a great job of fixing what was wrong with CoD (namely the frailty and "luck" of living and dying, gameplay that encourages camping, etc).

Also, anyone who's complaining about only being given crappy titans at first either hasn't played the game or sucks at it. The very first titan you're given (the Atlas) is arguably the most dangerous one, balancing speed and armor, and its core ability increases your damage output for a short period of time, which is utterly disastrous for titans you're facing. I can't count how many times I've activated my damage core and wasted two titans one after another, single handed. The Atlas is a very, very good titan. The starting guns are great too. The chain gun is the most balanced, easy to use, accurate, versatile titan weapon in the game, and it can chew through titans faster than most of the other weapons.

It's a very, very well made game, and it will keep you busy for awhile if you like MP shooters, but it doesn't come without its flaws. The biggest one is the lack of variety in the game. The amount of weapons (especially titan weapons) is dismal, mods are scarce, character/titan customization is non-existent, barely any game modes, no call signs, emblems, name plates, etc. Basically they completely stripped away the wealth of customization that is seen in CoD games. Why? Because we all know they're just going to add it back in when Titanfall 2 drops, so that it's just one more incentive to upgrade to the new game.

Sadly I'll probably fall right into their trap there, but I guess it makes sense. They focused all their efforts into perfecting the gameplay, and they came pretty close. Now they can focus on expanding the level of variety in the next one.

titanfall is a fun game, its definitely worth $20. The download size is only ~20 gigs, but they have 30 gigs of uncompressed audio for some retarded reason - probably something to do with consoles.

The biggest problem is that the PC community is pretty dead with hardly anyone playing. At primetime you can get some matches fast enough, but during weekdays you can literally sit for an hour and not get matched. They tried to be too smart and make it automatching, instead of providing a server browser and stuff, and you get auto connected to your closest datacenter - they have east coast, west coast, midwest, europe, etc. Just makes for a massively fragmented player base, especially when you throw in multiple game modes, and two DLC xpacs. Games also tend to be woefully unmatched, with one team absolutely crushing the other and thats like 90% of the games. FPS, stop trying to be so goddamn smart with matchmaking and provide a server browser, that woulda fixed so many problems.

I really enjoyed the game at launch and got my full MSRP worth of playtime (~80 hours), but hardly touch it anymore. When you get a perfect game with even skilled teams its a thing of beauty, especially in visuals and player movement and titan mechanics, but that is fairly rare unfortunately.
Yup, the matchmaking is usually horrendous, even on the Xbone. Either you're on a ridiculously dominant team, or a team of newbies and getting your ass kicked. They dropped the ball on that one.

I just started playing Woodle Tree Adventures. I actually paid for my copy through a bundle.

The game is... pretty inoffensive, but that camera, man... it's making me have Bubsy 3D flashbacks. The horror... THE HORROR...
zTRjDjj.jpg

Woodle doesn't like snitches or people snooping on him. That's why pussy cameramen are too afraid to follow him closely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back