The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bgame2']Or it could be because the sale started several days ago.[/QUOTE]

EHHH !!! Wrong again. I posted this sale before it started on CAG. Also I went on the first day of the sale, during my lunch break of course. Then I tried to hit other Blockbusters but the pickens were slim.

I think more games will be put on the shelves today guys. Went to a BBV yesterday and the guy showed me a list of games that were to be pulled and put on shelves tomorrow(today).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think more games will be put on the shelves today guys. Went to a BBV yesterday and the guy showed me a list of games that were to be pulled and put on shelves tomorrow(today).

stores transfer games every sunday.

Anyone got a list of what new games are on the $14.99 and under rack? My store here does not open for another 2 hours so want to make sure I get there ASAP.

[quote name='buster90']Anyone got a list of what new games are on the $14.99 and under rack? My store here does not open for another 2 hours so want to make sure I get there ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Every store is different with which games get transferred if any and Hawaiiboy said it looks like there are no price drops, so all stores will be different.

So I decided to run back by BB this morning, glad I did. Picked up:
LEGO Rock Band DS
LEGO Harry Potter DS
Prototype PS3
Kane & Lynch 2 PS3
and a 2000 Nintendo points card for $10

I picked up:
:360: Mass Effect
:360: Mass Effect 2
=$10

:360: Guitar Hero Smash Hits
:ps3: Ridge Racer 7
=$10

Pretty good haul for me. Saw several Mario and Sonic Winter games as well.

Strangely, the one BBV that time forgot near me is one of the ones that didn't close. Between that one and one other one today I found the games that I wanted which included EA mma. It's one of the only games I ever regretted trading in. Granted it is cheap, but given that I was able to pair it with something else for $10 I'm pretty happy.

[quote name='lhfan04']I picked up:
:360: Mass Effect
:360: Mass Effect 2
=$10

:360: Guitar Hero Smash Hits
:ps3: Ridge Racer 7
=$10

Pretty good haul for me. Saw several Mario and Sonic Winter games as well.[/QUOTE]

Thats a very nice haul just for both MEs. This is the third time Ive bought ME2 used at BBV. I wish I could find an ME1.

Found (finally) a :ps3: Singularity and couldn't find anything better so I got :ps3: New Vegas to go with it for $15. Also got :br: There Will Be Blood, (500) Days of Summer, Vertical Limit, Southland Tales, and Moon for $20. This sale is pretty nice.

I went back today to see if there was anything new put out. I didn't find anything that wasn't there yesterday. Perhaps they just hadn't got to getting the stuff out yet? Might it be worth it to make a trip out there tomorrow?

Well, I think I am officially done with this sale. I pretty much got everything I was looking for and more. Between the five stores I stopped at between my home and work, I picked up:

Fallout New Vegas PS3
Burnout Paradise (picked up both PS3 and 360, keeping one, but not sure which)
FEAR 2 360
Rock Band 3 360
WWE Legends of Wrestlemania 360
Ninja Gaiden Sigma (missing manual) PS3
The Godfather: Don's Edition PS3
Xbox Wireless Headset
3x Xbox Microsoft Points cards ($10 each)

Plus I picked up some stuff for flipping/selling to compensate for the money I spent that I don't have, lol, and I grabbed a FO:NV and a points card for a friend. I am very pleased with the B1G1 sale as usual.

[quote name='Abeja']Thats a very nice haul just for both MEs. This is the third time Ive bought ME2 used at BBV. I wish I could find an ME1.[/QUOTE]

If I could find a copy of ME2 with the art insert/manual @ my local BBV, I woulda been all over that kind of deal (I'd prefer PH copies though). I believe both Bioshocks would be $10 too. Going to head to my local BBV for a return/free rentals for a month, hopefully they'll be some good fresh stock out (my poor wallet).

HB, if you could use your magic powers to convince BBV management that the Wii Zapper is an accessory, I'd appreciate it. Other than that, you don't have to do anything else for me. Thanks for earlier.

Hawwaiiboy

What is going to happen to all these dvds and blu-rays that the stores got for this Memorial day sale after the sale is over tomorrow? My store still had another 250 blu-rays and 700 dvds that were not even out because they did not have the room.

[quote name='guinness7']Hawwaiiboy

What is going to happen to all these dvds and blu-rays that the stores got for this Memorial day sale after the sale is over tomorrow? My store still had another 250 blu-rays and 700 dvds that were not even out because they did not have the room.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing they'll join that ET game in the landfill?

Edit: Spider-Kitty below! Reminded me, anyone ever play Spider-Man: Friend or Foe? Is it worth $7 ($3.50 during this sale)?

I could see BBV executives using the left-over DVDs/BluRays as clay pigeons or something. PULL!

Loving this sale.
12 games and 5 blurays so far.

Found 1 BBV near me that has the Expendables on Blu-Ray for sale but guy on the phone says it's 12.99. Will the register pick it up as 2.99 or could this BBV not be apart of the sale?

[quote name='izpep']Loving this sale.
12 games and 5 blurays so far.

Found 1 BBV near me that has the Expendables on Blu-Ray for sale but guy on the phone says it's 12.99. Will the register pick it up as 2.99 or could this BBV not be apart of the sale?[/QUOTE]

If he says it's 12.99, then most likely 12.99. The 2.99 movies all have the same generic barcode i believe and very very few stores seem to have them. I called 7 stores in my area and none of them got shipments of 2.99 blu rays in. They all had 2.99 dvds apparently though.

I thought I was done with this sale.
Then today I picked up Bioshock 2 and Darksiders for PS3, ten bucks.
I played a lot of offline stuff during the PSN outage, and even gave my Wii some attention. Cleared through a lot of my backlog, but this sale, man. I must've added 6 months to it.
Damn you, BBV!! See you 4th of July weekend.

I am done as well, unless there are more additions/price drops. Picked up:

Wet - 360
Ace Combat 6 - 360
F.E.A.R. 2 - 360
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand - 360
Bioshock - PS3
Wolverine - 360

Pretty happy with all six. I wouldn't mind picking HAWX at one of my BBV, but there is nothing to pair it with. Otherwise, I haven't left anything I regretted.

[quote name='buster90']Anyone got a list of what new games are on the $14.99 and under rack? My store here does not open for another 2 hours so want to make sure I get there ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Like someone mentioned, it will be YMMV since there are no price drops. I got lucky yesterday with my F.E.A.R. 2. as I believe the guy converted it early. I imagine it was supposed to be converted today and he went ahead and did it one day early for me.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']anyone ever play Spider-Man: Friend or Foe? Is it worth $7 ($3.50 during this sale?[/QUOTE]

It's actually not too bad, just extremely easy and kinda repetitive, but its worth a play if you're a spidey fan and you want an easy 1000 'cheivies.

Going to head over now and check my BBV, hoping some new games were put out. Probably is their pricing is wrong a lot of the time...although if they just stuck them out I would hope they'd be priced correctly.

yesterday i went back and got the rest
2x 4000 microsoft points for 25.99 each
1x wireless mic for 19.99
1x 12 month xbox live bundle for 49.99
1x sony headphones 8.99

I went to my local BBV today and wanted to pick up some PSN cards, but I asked the cashier and she told me that she's not sure if it's 50% off, and this is no way of her to check it unless the card activates. Is there anyway around this? (Am I wrong to assume that the PSN cards are not 50% off?)

Thanks!

Just as a general comment, I think the new rental pricing strategy is a good one. I'm rooting for BBV. It is really sad to see the number of businesses (big and small) that are closing their doors. While I realize a great number of people believe that Blockbuster is an antiquated business model, I think it would be nice to see a well known business find a way to come back from the brink of extinction and be profitable again.

[quote name='bgame2']Just as a general comment, I think the new rental pricing strategy is a good one. I'm rooting for BBV. It is really sad to see the number of businesses (big and small) that are closing their doors. While I realize a great number of people believe that Blockbuster is an antiquated business model, I think it would be nice to see a well known business find a way to come back from the brink of extinction and be profitable again.[/QUOTE]

Too bad it's too little too late. This policy should have been adopted the day RedBox came into the picture.

[quote name='bgame2']Just as a general comment, I think the new rental pricing strategy is a good one. I'm rooting for BBV. It is really sad to see the number of businesses (big and small) that are closing their doors. While I realize a great number of people believe that Blockbuster is an antiquated business model, I think it would be nice to see a well known business find a way to come back from the brink of extinction and be profitable again.[/QUOTE]You know, in a couple of years after blockbuster dies and people start getting fed up that if they want to see an older movie right away they have to buy it if they can find it or wait until it finally gets to their queue and sent by netflix because redbox doesn't have it and netflix can only stream so many movies, I'm going to start a B&M movie rental store. Imagine folks! You can actually watch a movie over two years old today! Americans love being able to do what they want when they want after all.

I do hope BBV makes it though. I hate to see any competition get eliminated and I've gotten a lot of cheapass games thru BBV. Besides remember when so many people hated Circuit City and loved Best Buy, CC goes under and without a true national competitor BB's deals become much more lackluster?

[quote name='xV3LOCITYx']yesterday i went back and got the rest
2x 4000 microsoft points for 25.99 each
1x wireless mic for 19.99
1x 12 month xbox live bundle for 49.99
1x sony headphones 8.99[/QUOTE]

The lady at the one I went to today said the Microsoft Points cards were not on sale. They had 1600 and 4000, maybe I should of had her scan them. I'm going back tomorrow for the .99 DVD's so I'll try (so is this a system wide sale on the cards?)

[quote name='Midnight Express']The lady at the one I went to today said the Microsoft Points cards were not on sale. They had 1600 and 4000, maybe I should of had her scan them. I'm going back tomorrow for the .99 DVD's so I'll try (so is this a system wide sale on the cards?)[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, its the cards in the plastic cases that are a pain to open. Not the cards you pull off and have them activate at the register.

[quote name='Abeja']Just so you know, its the cards in the plastic cases that are a pain to open. Not the cards you pull off and have them activate at the register.[/QUOTE]

Okay, they didn't have any of those at the store, only the gift card like ones so maybe I didn't miss out.

[quote name='VyseArcad1a']It's actually not too bad, just extremely easy and kinda repetitive, but its worth a play if you're a spidey fan and you want an easy 1000 'cheivies.[/QUOTE]

Just to toss out my opinion on it, and a differing one at that, I played a good chunk of the game myself with my son. When he lost interest, I never put it back in my 360 and eventually sold it. I didn't think it was very good at all, but that is just my experience. You certainly nailed it when you said it was repetitive. I also found the gameplay, locations, story, and atmosphere to be uninspired.

Then again, I also am not much of a Spiderman fan, so perhaps that was it. I do recall unlocking a lot of achievements just through general play though, so you are indeed correct about those if anyone values that.

Wow I went to exchange a few cracked discs and I think no one else bought any games after my Tuesday morning run. Plus a bunch of new rental conversions. What an epic sale! I finally found some toy story 3 wii and NBA jam today....the biggest surprise today was when I put coraline from the BR sale into my ps3 and found out it was the 3D bluray! Now to get some glasses!

Good haul for me.

xbox360.gif

x2 FO Las vegas with unused dlc code (trade one, keep other)
burnout paradise (keep)

wii.gif

x2 Jeopardy (trade, keep)
Cooking Mama World Kitchen
Star wars Unleashed 2
House of the Dead 1&2

$37 spent ... $51 credit to GS. My first ever flip. Pretty happy. I don't usually buy a lot of games from gamestop (love amazon) but I do have a gamestop gc i got awhile ago so I guess I'll end up getting some stuff there at some point.

Didn't have too many blu-rays I wanted but of course I was able to combine with a couple regular dvds.

bluray.png

Zombieland
Scott Pilgrim
Wolfman

dvd.png

Kickass
Sherlock Holmes

I'm happy blockbuster has dropped their rental prices...hopefully it works for them. My store doesn't have much for accessories, but they do have a whole rack of pt cards. I doubt these will be included in the percent offs.

[quote name='david12795']i tried going to three BBV's and they were all closed! 0_0[/QUOTE]

That...Made me laugh.

[quote name='Toss']Wow I went to exchange a few cracked discs and I think no one else bought any games after my Tuesday morning run. Plus a bunch of new rental conversions. What an epic sale! I finally found some toy story 3 wii and NBA jam today....the biggest surprise today was when I put coraline from the BR sale into my ps3 and found out it was the 3D bluray! Now to get some glasses![/QUOTE]

Not to damper your mood...But you'll also probably need a 3D converter box for your television. And (at least for mine) those are usually around $250.

I was just thinking how this b1g1 ranked with the legendary HWV 4.99 sales!

[quote name='thehoweller']

Not to damper your mood...But you'll also probably need a 3D converter box for your television. And (at least for mine) those are usually around $250.[/QUOTE]

Oh no....I got a 50" 3D plasma!:D

[quote name='Toss']I was just thinking how this b1g1 ranked with the legendary HWV 4.99 sales![/QUOTE]
Actually many of the older games that're just now qualifying(FEAR 2, Resistance 2) for the BOGO @ BBV were part of the $4.99 HWV sales a couple of years ago already.

I miss HWV at times, though the people at my closer HWV were a pita at times.:whistle2:#

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually many of the older games that're just now qualifying(FEAR 2, Resistance 2) for the BOGO @ BBV were part of the $4.99 HWV sales a couple of years ago already.

I miss HWV at times, though the people at my closer HWV were a pita at times.:whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

It's a shame, I never actually set foot into a HWV, but I see their closed locales all the time.

I'm hoping that BBV will be saved (for the reasons many have pointed out earlier) my Dish Network's acquisition (a bold move that can certainly work in both companies' favour, I know Dish Network is struggling right now against DirecTV).

@ Vyse

Sounds like my demographic, I could always use some more GS. I'll probably scoop it up during the next (probably last) B1G1.

@ Yanksfan

This is kinda how I expected to feel about the game, and there's a strong chance I'll stop caring about it, but it's hard to go wrong with a game like that when you're spending $3.50 on it.

As for my haul, I went to my local BBV and finally returned my 2 days late movie.
Picked up an inside windshield cleaner for my girlfriend and her Beetle for $5, signed up for that promotion where you went one $3 rental and get a $1.99 and under rental available a day. The girl who rung me up even waived the $3 rental fee, for whatever reason. I also picked up Bioshock 2, and decided to pick SW: TFU2 as my second game so I could do my third ever flip/fourth ever trade-in, since I probably shouldn't have spent any money on this sale than I have already (I'm sure most of you in this thread feel this way). >_>; I posted the story in the GS thread, but more or less I got there @ 9:01 (closes @ 9), guy had locked the GS and told me "Too bad" and shrugged his shoulders. What will I do without my $3.20 of extra GS credit?!?!?! Lol.

Quite a great sale indeed. Local BBV didn't have any new used games, so there might not have been any games authorized to come out of rental status this weekend due to the sale.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']here is a timeline of all the clearance crap we have. lucky for all u folks finding game accessories as our district hasnt had any systems or accessories for at least a couple years.

General Merchandise
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 75% Off
June 20 – June 26 90% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Select Game Strategy Guides
May 24 – June 26 50% Off

Game Accessories
May 24 – June 5 50% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return

Game Hardware and Software
May 24 – June 5 25% Off
June 6 – June 19 50% Off
June 20 – June 26 75% Off
June 27 – July 3 Product Return[/QUOTE]

Didn't wanna double-post, but I figured a lot of people wanted to find this since they didn't feel like using the "Search Thread" button.

As for when the sale ends, I can't remember anyone giving a direct answer.

Might go to another store and see what they have. Also, might go back to a store since its on the way and grab Dead 2 rights and SC:C but maybe not depending on what the first run is like.

Question, some people have seen/bought TivoHDs, there is one at my local store. Didnt on the box it say something about Blockbuster On Demand for 12 months or something? Or am I thinking of another product.

bread's done
Back