The end of the OTT has been rescheduled!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gametrailers, Eurogamer, Destructoid, Official Xbox Magazine (granted the UK), Gamepro, Machinima, Xbox360acheivements,

Yeah, those are some really no name sites right there.

Gametrailers gave it 7.9, which is "ok." Eurogamer is for europeans, Destructoid and Gamepro straight suck, and I never read reviews from companies with a system name in them.

I've always thought game magazines and websites did a shitty job with reviews. You use a 10 point scale for a reason -- every game can't be 8+. Even shitty games get 7's often times. As for destructoid, they are so biased it's ridiculous. They basically shit on Brink throughout the entire review and then gave it a 7.5, IIRC. I like a lot of their editorials but they can't be trusted for an objective review.

[quote name='Eviltude']I've always thought game magazines and websites did a shitty job with reviews. You use a 10 point scale for a reason -- every game can't be 8+. Even shitty games get 7's often times. As for destructoid, they are so biased it's ridiculous. They basically shit on Brink throughout the entire review and then gave it a 7.5, IIRC. I like a lot of their editorials but they can't be trusted for an objective review.[/QUOTE]The worst is when they go with a 100 point scale. Like if there was a significant difference between 7.3 and 7.5. Reviewers should just stick to a 5 point.

I think a lot of the reviewers that use the 100 point scale think in terms of American school grading percentages whether they say they do or not.

[quote name='munch']Portal 2 co op is tons of fun.[/QUOTE]

I feel like a moron having it on PS3.

I may actually change my mind about getting a 360 eventually.

I can't speak well of any review outlet, personally. Find a writer you like and go by that, though unfortunately they aren't always going to be reviewing the games you're interested in.

I'm a fan of any scoring system that's well explained. The "school grade" percentages works, but with it you're basically working with scores from 6-10 (6 being poor, 10 being a masterpiece, anything below 6.0 is probably a broken piece of software) -- which is why many reviewers use a decimal system because there is indeed a world of difference between an 8.1 and an 8.6 provided the reviewer isn't scoring out of his ass (they all are, though).

I guess what I'm getting at is scoring can work provided the critics aren't retarded. Pretty much every magazine is corrupt to the core, and mainstream gaming sites seem to pull people off the street to review their games.

IGN is probably the worst, followed by Gametrailers. Eurogamer is basically a blog site where no real reviewing takes place, and I don't think anyone feels that Gamespot is a real site anymore -- every single game that gets released is an 8.5.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:lol: I swear to god Trak you are the reason no new IP can ever be made. Its averaging like a 7.5-8 score with only 2 or 3 site giving it upwards of 20 to 50 point below the average. Snap judgement much?

I wasnt even getting this game to begin with but how is it getting shit on when 18 or so site gave it positive reviews and only 3 or 4 gave it negative? Lets not forget the fact that the ones that gave it a low score rated it upwards to 50 or so below the average. Which isnt wrong but means they are very much the minority in this case.

:roll:[/QUOTE]

I only knew of a couple of review scores last night when I posted that. I saw Joystiq's review and I got the IGN/ars information from the Brink thread. I looked it up on Metacritic too and saw two reviewers I've never even heard of. All the major publications are giving it low scores.

[quote name='munch']I think you should give me the steam code :cool:[/QUOTE]

I did get a chance to sync my steam account but I don't plan on using the PC copy. If you want it I will get you the code tonight.

Brink. I watched a video of it. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be intrigued. Looks pretty generic. Even old. I guess you see the guys hands popping up on screen. That's something.

[quote name='munch']That sounds great! But can you just give me the code?[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, you have to sync your PSN account to steam before the PC Portal 2 code can be redeemed. Until PSN allows people to log in (or create new accounts) people who have not sync'ed their PSN and Steam accounts (like me, or anyone trying to sell their code) will not be able to redeem.

One of the guys in the GGT offered that you can make a dummy PSN account and sync it with the buyer's Steam account (he's trying to sell his), but like I said, it's a moot point if you can't log in to or create a new account on PSN.

Yeah I thought about giving my Portal 2 code to a friend but when I mentioned that it would likely link his steam to my PSN ID that was a deal breaker. It actually motivated me to download steam, even though I haven't bought anything on there yet.

Question: If I borrow my friend's GTA Liberty City Stories and install The Lost & the Damned, will I be able to keep it (I own GTA IV, but it's the original with no add-on content)? My thanks to anyone who knows.

[quote name='munch']That sounds great! But can you just give me the code?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='corrosivefrost']From what I understand, you have to sync your PSN account to steam before the PC Portal 2 code can be redeemed. Until PSN allows people to log in (or create new accounts) people who have not sync'ed their PSN and Steam accounts (like me, or anyone trying to sell their code) will not be able to redeem.

One of the guys in the GGT offered that you can make a dummy PSN account and sync it with the buyer's Steam account (he's trying to sell his), but like I said, it's a moot point if you can't log in to or create a new account on PSN.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I didn't think of that. Munch, if you don't mind waiting to see if after PSN is up if I can gift it or not. Sorry.

[quote name='Eviltude']Yeah I thought about giving my Portal 2 code to a friend but when I mentioned that it would likely link his steam to my PSN ID that was a deal breaker. It actually motivated me to download steam, even though I haven't bought anything on there yet.

Question: If I borrow my friend's GTA Liberty City Stories and install The Lost & the Damned, will I be able to keep it (I own GTA IV, but it's the original with no add-on content)? My thanks to anyone who knows.[/QUOTE]

If it's an install, yes. (Just like Fallout 3:GOTY disc 2, I believe.)

However, I think the retail disc was sort of playable without GTA4, like RDR:Undead Nightmare... if that's the case, then no.

[quote name='corrosivefrost']If it's an install, yes. (Just like Fallout 3:GOTY disc 2, I believe.)

However, I think the retail disc was sort of playable without GTA4, like RDR:Undead Nightmare... if that's the case, then no.[/QUOTE]

The case said it was playable w/o GTAIV, however had an install size of over 3.2GB, which seems fairly large just to cut down on load times 'n such. I might give it a go just for to see if no one knows for sure.

I can't believe the Red Wings are about to tie this series up. These dudes are playing hard as shit.

[quote name='Eviltude']The case said it was playable w/o GTAIV, however had an install size of over 3.2GB, which seems fairly large just to cut down on load times 'n such. I might give it a go just for to see if no one knows for sure.

I can't believe the Red Wings are about to tie this series up. These dudes are playing hard as shit.[/QUOTE]

I'm 99% sure you'd need his disc to do it. Now if he had gotten it through gamesharing, then you could probably do it. Quickly googling it (and experience with the 360 versions) is what I'm basing my guess on.

frosty, if i reimburse u and chika to take me to a bus to take me to boston will u do that~
if u are free either saturday-sunday.
i'll also give u beer/wine money.

Work really likes to annoy me by calling me on my days off. And for an 8 hour shift doing carts on a week I already work 5 days, I don't think so.

[quote name='seanr1221']The only places giving it ok reviews are no-name pages.

1up just gave it a D. Damn, how did they drop the ball on this one?[/QUOTE]

That's because it's just another FPS, isn't it?

Work really likes to annoy me by calling me on my days off. And for an 8 hour shift doing carts on a week I already work 5 days, I don't think so.

Welcome to retail hell. I got it all the time at Walgreens when teenagers "called in sick".

Usually retail places are real cheap about giving anybody overtime.

[quote name='2DMention']Welcome to retail hell. I got it all the time at Walgreens when teenagers "called in sick".

Usually retail places are real cheap about giving anybody overtime.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. In Maryland, if you have a 6+ hour shift, you need to take a 30 minute lunch before the 6th hour. One girl being a tad over 40 hours had to take I think it was a 50 minute lunch the other day.

Way I look at it, what's the point in working so many hours if I can't get overtime out of it. Plus doing carts sucks anyways.

So, I just get a random phone call from a number in North Dakota and it sounded like a middle-eastern or Indian man asking me about home security systems.

I wish I had the balls like Brak to fuck with them and record it.

Anybody here that likes podcasts and the Sklar Brothers should check out Sklarbro Country, which is their sports/comedy podcast that is really good.

Another night in the Blood Bank. Probably reading TV tropes or my book after 8 pm.
And then the Vietnamese girl will want to go home early. "You okay I go home?"

Well, looks like I'm moving to York on the 28th. Here's hoping I can store transfer to make the move a little less painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back