The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

Requests:

Radar Mission (GB)
Hyper Lode Runner (GB)

I figure it's a long shot, but what the hey. If you can actually put these together, I'd be thoroughly impressed and grateful.

Scrabble Blast. It just came out a month ago. Very fun game if you have any proclivity for word games. And it's a good deal at $19.99 MSRP.

[quote name='evilmax17']Requests:

Radar Mission (GB)
Hyper Lode Runner (GB)

I figure it's a long shot, but what the hey. If you can actually put these together, I'd be thoroughly impressed and grateful.[/QUOTE]

Another obscure random request to add:

Micro Machines (GB)

Figure if somebody randomly has the box lying around that they can scan, might get lucky.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I know people have in the past requested people make cases for them. I just ordered 20 DS cases and only have 11 games that'll fit in them (stupid WarioWare Twisted!! ;) ). I'm in the process right now of figuring out if I can do the necessary printing at home or if I need to outsource it to a professional place, but if anyone is interested in me making them some cases, PM me and we'll see what we can work out!

daroga

On the snackbar-games website, they have case designs for regular gameboy games. Are there any DVD-style cases to hold gameboy games?

[quote name='magius360']On the snackbar-games website, they have case designs for regular gameboy games. Are there any DVD-style cases to hold gameboy games?[/QUOTE]
You can mod the standard issue DS case with an exacto knife or razor blade, like so.

[quote name='evilmax17']You can mod the standard issue DS case with an exacto knife or razor blade, like so.[/QUOTE]

I'll be messing around with this tomorrow and try to not hack off my fingers and get some pictures posted if people would like other examples.

As a side note, not sure if this thread or the offical thread on Snackbar gets more visitors, but could someone get a Game & Watch Gallery 2 cover put togeter? I haven't been able to find decent scans of the covers but heres some crummy ones to know what we're looking for:

Front
Back

Any thoughts would be appreciated,
daroga

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you all for your work on this project. The results of my work with it is still in progress but I was so pleased with how things came out that I thought I'd post some pics!
The line up with DS games
Front covers

Thanks again! I'll update this as I get more printed and made!

daroga

[This post was originally posted on the Snackbar-Games forum!]

I am working on layout changes for the way the covers are organized on the site and I was curious if everyone likes the current way the covers are displayed (game name next to a thumbnail) or would it be more functional to have a list of the covers that when clicked would show the thunbmail and cover information next to the list. It would speed up loading times and prevent you from having to load covers that you didn't want to see thus saving me a little bit of bandwidth.

I would prefer not to see the thumbnail until I click, I think. Or maybe make the thumbnails smaller, though I guess at a certain point it's not even worth showing a thumbnail if it gets too small.

A valid point. I figured the thumbnail would stay the same size and it would merely change as you clicked different titles in the list.

I still can't believe the amount of work that went into it to figure this out. I tseemed like such a straight forward concept. But, I'm glad mine's done and hope others are able to do similar cases! :)

I think I'm done for now. Here are the pics of my completed collection. The only two missing are Super Monkey Ball Jr. (Case made, but am going to trade/sell it if anyone is interested, let me know) and Rampage World Tour since the case is in the midst of being hacked apart for it's GBC cart.

The last thing I'm realling missing is Zelda DX to fill its case. Anyone have one they want to get rid of? :)

The whole line up
Zoomed 1
Zoomed 2
Zoomed 3

Thanks to everyone who kept and keeps this project going!

daroga

Has anyone doing this used kinko's to print their covers ? I was wondering if anyone had a general idea of how much they cost per cover. If it is comparable to the cost of buying new printer cartridges, I would rather have them do it. Thanks for the help.

I used Office Max, $1.19 per legal size print. Awesome color laser quality.

I looked into Kinkos but it seemed expensive (either I had to pay them a butt load to get the images off of a disc for me, or I had to pay a by-the-minute charge to use one of their computers).

I would recommend taking them to a place to get printed, but both Kinkos and Staples were cost prohibitve for that (Staples wanted like almost $3 just to get an image off of a CD).

daroga

did you have the images on a cd and just bring it in ? and was that for glossy, semi-glossy or matte ? $1.19 per image isn't bad at all.

Yup, I just rotated them so they were long-ways and burned them to a disc. It was for matte, bright white paper as I think to much gloss combined with the plastic looks goofy. You can get an idea of how they turned out in the pics I posted a few above this one.

daroga

[quote name='daroga']The WarioWare Twisted Case Guide is now at a final version. You can pick it up here.

If you have any questions, email or PM me.

daroga[/QUOTE]

I just built one based on your design, and it looks great. Thanks for all the effort you put into making a guide.

Is there anyone who is printing and selling these on demand? (Or trade for things), I have a few games that I want cases for, and if anyone would want to do it, I'd gladly buy/trade for them.

Snowcone-

I just noticed the "new" layout (it's probably been there for awhile) for the cover section, and it looks excellent!

:applause:

Very well done.

Thanks. There are still a few things I am working on but "real" work has had me tied up for a few weeks. Things should slow down in a couple days I hope.

Anyone able to make covers for the Jurassic Park games? Or the Scooby Doo Double pack? Or Gumby? (I might be able to scan that one if needed)
Thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has been able to make a game cover for Nintendogs? I got one of the advance copies from Nintendo to test the game, but they did not send the case or instructions. There were quite a few other NSiders that got the game as well without case/instructions, so there might be a demand for these.

Thanks!

Genious idea, bro.

Once I get the time and money, I'll buy a DS case for every GB, GBC, and GBA game I have, if that site has them available (And Metriod Demo)
I have a question though, can I print these out with an inkjet, or will they not work? Will I have to save them to a disc and print them up somewhere else?

Thanks again, because I really want to make my GB/GBA collection all pretty and alphabatized like my DS collection! Although most of my GBA games are cart-only, I'd rather have a case and no manual then just a cart!

Yay, and thanks for answers to my question.

I'm doing just fine printing them here with some good letter paper. All you need is a decent printer which will let you print without a border. I'll try and get some pictures up. Of the fifty I bought - I've used up about 44 for my GBA games. I'm going to have to order many many more for the GB/GBC games I have!
[quote name='sixersballernum3']Genious idea, bro.

Once I get the time and money, I'll buy a DS case for every GB, GBC, and GBA game I have, if that site has them available (And Metriod Demo)
I have a question though, can I print these out with an inkjet, or will they not work? Will I have to save them to a disc and print them up somewhere else?

Thanks again, because I really want to make my GB/GBA collection all pretty and alphabatized like my DS collection! Although most of my GBA games are cart-only, I'd rather have a case and no manual then just a cart!

Yay, and thanks for answers to my question.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I have a cheap HP Deskjet InkJet printer, but it let's me print w/o a border. I guesS I could do it. I don't need omfgsuperquality pictures, so as long as it'll work. what kind of paper do you recommend, may I ask?

I don't have too many GBA Games, and barely any GB/GBC games, so I'm thinking I'll probably get 20-30 to cover what I have now, and a couple for the future. ^_^

[quote name='sanjuro']anyone know if 'matte paper' would be any better than generic computer paper?[/QUOTE]

Better? Probably not. You want a slight gloss and that might be too dull. You could try it though.

Would any of you old pros consider making cases for a lazy bum like me? I've got about 30 games and was wondering what someone would charge for that.

Alright, so I order 10 cases from nintendo.com, and in the meantime, I figure I might as well get some of these files printed. I e-mail some pictures over to Kinko's to be printed: 9 GBA/GBC covers and 1 Doom 3 (Xbox) cover. I had recently bought a disc only copy from BBV, and it looks ugly on the shelf.

Anyway, I got a call from Kinko's yesterday saying they couldn't print the covers because of copyright issues. Has anyone else gotten a similar response, or is it just because of the Doom cover?

[quote name='chargeup45']Alright, so I order 10 cases from nintendo.com, and in the meantime, I figure I might as well get some of these files printed. I e-mail some pictures over to Kinko's to be printed: 9 GBA/GBC covers and 1 Doom 3 (Xbox) cover. I had recently bought a disc only copy from BBV, and it looks ugly on the shelf.

Anyway, I got a call from Kinko's yesterday saying they couldn't print the covers because of copyright issues. Has anyone else gotten a similar response, or is it just because of the Doom cover?[/QUOTE]

No I haven't, but that sucks. Try Office Max. That's where I get my stuff done, never had a problem.

[quote name='daroga']No I haven't, but that sucks. Try Office Max. That's where I get my stuff done, never had a problem.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I was thinking about going there to try. Do you need to specify legal paper, or will it print properly on standard 8x11?

I was wondering if someone could show me a finished case with a GB or GBC game in it. I just can't see that fitting in there.

[quote name='ZForce915']I was wondering if someone could show me a finished case with a GB or GBC game in it. I just can't see that fitting in there.[/QUOTE]
Here you go.

It requires some exacto knife work.

[quote name='evilmax17']Here you go.

It requires some exacto knife work.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I knew there was some cutting involved, but I wasn't able to invision that. And a funny side note, I was putting Wario Land II in my DS case to try to figure it out...(that is the game pictured)

I had to come back to this thread to show my collection. I find that it is difficult to modify the case inside to get the instructions to lie flat. Instead I leave the inside unmodified and just let the end curl up just a little.

bread's done
Back