The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

Cool! Thanks a bunch dude!

I'd be happy to do your covers - however, I have no photoshopping skill and the only picture editing program I have is Paint. ;)

Can someone help this great person out here and make him some covers? Please? :(

Thanks to everyone for your hard work.

Can someone rescan Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons? The quality of the existing scans is poor, with highly visible lines throughout all of the scans. Or did those lines appear in the original boxes?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks to everyone for your hard work.

Can someone rescan Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons? The quality of the existing scans is poor, with highly visible lines throughout all of the scans. Or did those lines appear in the original boxes?

Thanks a lot.

The cases look great, but I don't like the black logo on the spine, but a gray gradiant on the front. Every other DVD-esque case always has the same colour on both the front and spine so it flows and just looks nicer..

[quote name='jeremy517']Thanks to everyone for your hard work.

Thanks a lot.[/QUOTE]

How are you able to fit a GB game in there? When I put a GB game and instruction booklet in the case, it closes, but there is a bulge, so it looks a bit awkward.

I just went into Kinkos and printed 8 covers on that special Glossy Tabloid, Heavy Stock paper and it came out to be around $18. I should've asked before he printed them, but they look really professional, so some might say it was worth it. To me it is.

[quote name='Technique']I just went into Kinkos and printed 8 covers on that special Glossy Tabloid, Heavy Stock paper and it came out to be around $18. I should've asked before he printed them, but they look really professional, so some might say it was worth it. To me it is.[/QUOTE]

I picked up some HP semi-photo paper from BB a few weeks ago when it was on sale. Could never get the printer to work right, so it came out on two sheets. Doesn't look half bad, though. Only way you can tell is if you look REALLY closely at where the two sheets were taped together.

[quote name='Technique']How are you able to fit a GB game in there? When I put a GB game and instruction booklet in the case, it closes, but there is a bulge, so it looks a bit awkward.[/QUOTE]

Firstly, you'll want to cut that tiny divider out of the side that holds the instruction booklet. That way the booklet lays flat in the case. Most people use an Exacto knife or a box cutter. You can pretty much use anything sharp. One guy used nail clippers. It comes out easily and in just a few seconds.

Making the GB/GBC cart fit is a bit harder, as the cart side of the case is quite thick in spots. Basically, cut out the bottom strip from the GBA cart holder, the top side of the DS cart holder, and amout 1/3 of the sides of the DS cart holder. If you do it correctly, the sides of the GBA cart holder will snugly hold the GB/GBC cart, and the bottom of the GB/GBC cart should rest on what is left of the DS cart holder.

[quote name='jeremy517']Firstly, you'll want to cut that tiny divider out of the side that holds the instruction booklet. That way the booklet lays flat in the case. Most people use an Exacto knife or a box cutter. You can pretty much use anything sharp. One guy used nail clippers. It comes out easily and in just a few seconds.

Making the GB/GBC cart fit is a bit harder, as the cart side of the case is quite thick in spots. Basically, cut out the bottom strip from the GBA cart holder, the top side of the DS cart holder, and amout 1/3 of the sides of the DS cart holder. If you do it correctly, the sides of the GBA cart holder will snugly hold the GB/GBC cart, and the bottom of the GB/GBC cart should rest on what is left of the DS cart holder.[/QUOTE]

I tried using an exacto knife to do this. Dude, this is way hard, I ruined 2 cases because I accidently cut through an instruction booklet tab and I accidently cut through the case.

[quote name='Technique']I just went into Kinkos and printed 8 covers on that special Glossy Tabloid, Heavy Stock paper and it came out to be around $18. I should've asked before he printed them, but they look really professional, so some might say it was worth it. To me it is.[/QUOTE]

You can get them A LOT cheaper by contacting Speed Racer here on CAG.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/member.php?u=21186

He does real high quality prints on Cardstock for .35cents a cover. I got 30 covers from him for $15 shipped!

It isn't for a GBA game, but if anyone is artistic I think we could use a Rumble Pak cover. I know I would appreciate it.

Also, on a sorta related note, I wouldn't mind a Gamecube GBP cover, and a MaxDrive PS2 cover (would use a GCN case)

Does anyone know of anywhere in Europe (or UK) selling the official Nintendo DS cases?

The US Nintendo store won't ship to Europe, and I've scoured Google and can't find any anywhere!

Nintendo of Germany sells these cases. They sell them in sets of 3 for 4,50€ a set. You can order them via the consumer service but I don't know if they ship outside of Germany. And keep in mind that the European cases look different from the US cases that are used here and that the spine is 4mm wider.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I wish they would sell these cases in-store. :([/quote]

It isn't that hard to get them through Nintendo's website and I think the prices are pretty reasonable. The shipping is fast too!

There are still tons of GBA games that still do not have covers. I have at least 5 game boxes that do not have covers yet. I may try my hand and create some covers, but they may suck :cry:

[quote name='daroga']like this:
With cart
without cart[/QUOTE]

Would this procedure work with Drill Dozer? I'm not sure the size, as I don't have the game on me at the moment, but I know it's not standard GBA size. Anyone have this game in a case yet?

[quote name='PRMega']Would this procedure work with Drill Dozer? I'm not sure the size, as I don't have the game on me at the moment, but I know it's not standard GBA size. Anyone have this game in a case yet?[/quote]
Yeah, it fits without much modification. You just have to cut off the bottom of the GBA slot, and shave off a bit from the DS slot. Nothing too bad.

[quote name='evilmax17']Yeah, it fits without much modification. You just have to cut off the bottom of the GBA slot, and shave off a bit from the DS slot. Nothing too bad.[/QUOTE]
And acutually, you don't even have to mess with the DS slot at all if you don't mind the DD cart sitting in the case upside down; that's what I did!

I know there's little to no chance, but does somebody have a cover of Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire for GBA? It's the only GBA game I have that hasn't been made.

[quote name='4tygames']It isn't that hard to get them through Nintendo's website and I think the prices are pretty reasonable. The shipping is fast too!

There are still tons of GBA games that still do not have covers. I have at least 5 game boxes that do not have covers yet. I may try my hand and create some covers, but they may suck :cry:[/QUOTE]

Which ones? I bought a nice HP scanner last night so I could continue to work on this project.

[quote name='evilmax17']Can someone fix up the Sigma Star Saga cover? The spine looks bad.

Edit: Eegh, Harvest Moon: More Friends too.[/quote]
Bump. My worry is that people will casually glance and see "Oh ok, we already have a cover for Sigma Star Saga, so I don't need to do that", but we really don't have one for it. Same for Harvest Moon: More Friends. Sure, there are files up there for them, but if you look at them I'm sure you'd agree that they don't deserve to be there as permanent solutions.

Here are some scans:

Top Gear Pocket 2: Link

Cruis'n Velocity: Link

Test Drive 2001: Link

SI Kids Baseball (I sold it a few weeks ago, maybe somone else will want it): Link

I have the GBA boxes for Worms World Party, Chessmaster, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon, Donald Duck Advance, Nancy Drew: Message in the Haunted Mansion, and The Simpsons Road Rage.

I have the GB Color boxes for Snoopy Tennis, Men in Black: The Series, Yoda Stories, Kobe Bryant 3 on 3, and the US Version of Super Mario Bros DX.

I have the Game Boy box to Tennis.

I will be out of town tomorrow through Saturday so I will not have a chance to scan the game boxes I mentioned yet.

[quote name='Cream']Out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you guys print the covers on? I would think medium-gloss photo paper would look best...[/QUOTE]
I ordered this paper from CompUSA and for the price, the images come out very vibrant and of high quality.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...044759&Pn=Photo_Quality_720_dpi_Ink_Jet_Paper

100 sheets for a little over $20 and it's Legal sized (8.5 x 14). I have had no problems thus far and when placed in the DS cases, they look just as good as the real thing.

[quote name='4tygames']Here are some scans:

Top Gear Pocket 2: Link

Cruis'n Velocity: Link

Test Drive 2001: Link

SI Kids Baseball (I sold it a few weeks ago, maybe somone else will want it): Link

I have the GBA boxes for Worms World Party, Chessmaster, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon, Donald Duck Advance, Nancy Drew: Message in the Haunted Mansion, and The Simpsons Road Rage.

I have the GB Color boxes for Snoopy Tennis, Men in Black: The Series, Yoda Stories, Kobe Bryant 3 on 3, and the US Version of Super Mario Bros DX.

I have the Game Boy box to Tennis.

I will be out of town tomorrow through Saturday so I will not have a chance to scan the game boxes I mentioned yet.[/QUOTE]

Got Top Gear, Cruis'n, and Test Drive done and uploaded. On your next batch, try to get Gameboy Tennis scanned first since that's the only one I need.

Great work folks. I had one question, even though it's probably buried in the 43 pages of this thread. Do the DS cases work for GB and GBC games? If not, why are people scanning their boxes and what cases are they using?

Thanks,

Rwilloug

[quote name='rwilloug']Great work folks. I had one question, even though it's probably buried in the 43 pages of this thread. Do the DS cases work for GB and GBC games? If not, why are people scanning their boxes and what cases are they using?

Thanks,

Rwilloug[/QUOTE]
Yup!

I've posted this a few times, but as you said, it's buried.

Outside
Inside
Inside cut detail

[quote name='daroga']Yup!

I've posted this a few times, but as you said, it's buried.

Outside
Inside
Inside cut detail[/QUOTE]

Would anyone be willing to cut up 5-7 DS cases to fit GB games? I've tried and failed more than once. Anyone who would be willing to put a little time into doing this for me drop me a PM. I'll pay you for your time and the cases or maybe I can find a game to give to you.

This thread is pretty stagnant, but we had a few requests on the SBG forums for:

Battle B Daman and Super Robot Taisan for GBA

Hey all i wondered If anybody has the European Ds template.

Thanks all for your help all,

Currently i'm doing a Street fighter 2,Final fight, Puzzle fighter, Super mario world 2:Yoshi's island. All Custom Cover's so they wont be standard stuff/;)

Just a quick question here, is there a blank template for DS games out there? I think I used a GBA one to do some custom work, but has anyone edited down a photoshop file or a JPG to only include the Nintendo DS logos and everything else blank?

Just wanted to share

I finished my last 2 and I'm at 100% with all my GBA games being cased. I think I have about a dozen or so leftover cases, so I might dig out the GB and GBC games.. maybe.

Man, if i had a dollar for every playstation game or any game for that matter that i lost the case for......

Great Idea Fellas!

Not sure how much attention is paid to this thread, but... any chance of the Bit Generations games getting custom covers? I'm anticipating my pretty white boxes to be crushed in the mail, so odds are they will be getting the DS case treatment.

[quote name='botticus']Not sure how much attention is paid to this thread, but... any chance of the Bit Generations games getting custom covers? I'm anticipating my pretty white boxes to be crushed in the mail, so odds are they will be getting the DS case treatment.[/QUOTE]

I'd throw a request up at www.thecoverproject.net. If you can scan your box when it comes (even if it's crushed), the Cover Guru's over there can most likely work their magic to fix it up into a nice cover for you :)

[quote name='PRMega']I'd throw a request up at www.thecoverproject.net. If you can scan your box when it comes (even if it's crushed), the Cover Guru's over there can most likely work their magic to fix it up into a nice cover for you :)[/quote]Then that's what I shall do.

what's the best printing paper for this stuff? I want to do my dreamcast games in regular dvd boxes.. and I don't want them to look cheap with just regular printing paper, ya know.

bread's done
Back