The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

[quote name='ZForce915']I had to come back to this thread to show my collection. I find that it is difficult to modify the case inside to get the instructions to lie flat. Instead I leave the inside unmodified and just let the end curl up just a little.

[/QUOTE]

Very nice! If you have an Xacto knife, cutting out the ridge for the manual is no sweat (a real, precise Xacto knife is the best). Look at some of the detail pics I posted a few posts above to see what I mean.

Hey guys, I am just wondering if anyone would be willing to scan their Mario Kart DS case and get it submitted. I recently purchased the bundle (Red DS + MK) and I would like to have a real case for collection purposes. If anyone is willing to do this, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Sorry if this has been requested already, I didn't read the whole thread.

I'll second the FFIV cover request.

I'll get a scan of my Mario Kart case if no one else does/will. I can't make the covers (no time) but I can get a quick and dirty 300 dpi scan for people to work with.

For those who got Golden Sun: The Lost Age at the TRU sale, or those that already have it, I've been able to squeeze the map into a DS case along with the manual. I didn't go through all 41 pages in this thread to see if it had already been done or not so please don't shoot me if this was already discussed...

Anyways, this method will require an extra one of the tabs that holds down the manuals on the left side. I stole one from the double-sized Warioware Twisted case.

goldensun_cuts.jpg

First step is to completely remove the DS card holder. Second step, cut out the spot for the GBA manual, as usual. Third item is to cut the spot for the map to go, which is on the cartridge side of the case. It can be cut the same way you cut the manual slot. The last item is to glue the tab taken from another case to hold the map in place. You can see the location I chose in the picture above. I had to scuff up the case and the tab with some sandpaper to get the super glue to work. It will not stick to the plastic case if you do not use something to scuff it up.

goldensun_done.jpg

All done.

i have to say this is beyond sweet. does anyone have any other golden sun scans though? the one on the website looks pretty bad.

anyone know a good online print place you can have these printed at? I checked out snapfish but you cant specify the size of the picture you want so it wont work.

Im liking this, so how do the instructions fit, and are these cases just DS cases? Do they have a slot for gba games, or did you just make one?

So let me get this straight. We buy DS cases from nintendo.com, we print out the cover and were done? Thats pretty simple, I just need somone to sell me some cases, and are there more than 1 diffrent cases, like the n64/Snes cases?

Also, I found some covers at cdcovers.cc, maybe they have some the projects missing.

I have some GBA, GBC, and GB boxes that do not have game covers yet. I can scan these covers and let someone work on them if they want.

GBA:
Crusin Velocity
SI Kids Baseball
Donald Duck Goin Quackers
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

GBC:
Testdrive 2001
Kobe Bryant
Top Gear Pocket 2

GB:
Tennis

Also, for some reason, everytime I click on the Tony Hawk finished game covers on the Snackbar website, they do not work.

Can someone put one up for the Castlevania Double Pack? That would be awesome...or if it already exists please point me in the right direction. Thanks

I dunno if anyones still working on these but can someone make a Tony Hawk American Sk8land cover? I'm finally getting around to doing this. I have 20 cases sitting in a box waiting to be filled and my new printer is coming from Amazon in a few days. I have to order some more cases since I've bought a few more GBA games since when I first intended to do this. I'll be sure to post pics when I'm all done.

All the covers that I have gotten to date are online. :) To address the paypal question, I do resell the cases for people that are overseas, but the cost goes up dramatically to cover shipping and packing both trips. If you can get a CC and order them yourselves you will save some money.

Finally got going at this today. I still have a couple of my bro's GBA games to do but these are most of them. Now I'm thinking if I should do my GB and GBC games since I have like a dozen cases left. Though I could just save them for when I get more GBA games. Here are pics.
4d8ded8a.jpg

d3408dc5.jpg

I changed the spine art of some of them, I also took the white border off the Gameboy Advance part cause I thought it would look better all black.
9a69350f.jpg

Now everything in their home.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the project, I've been meaning to case all my games for months and am glad I can look over to them and see them all pretty on the shelf.

[quote name='takingchase']i have to say this is beyond sweet. does anyone have any other golden sun scans though? the one on the website looks pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

It actually prints out pretty nice. I've got it in my collection and it fits in just fine.

Not to sound like a dumba$$ (which I am), but I went to snackbar. Those download pictures are huge!!!!!! So exactly what am I suppose to do with them to resize them to the proper printing size (on legal paper)? Resize to what dimensions, etc.? I don't have Photoshop so I will have to download GIMP, as you all have referenced on this thread. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Yeah, those images look huge on your computer, but in reality, the images fit perfectly on legal size paper when you print in landscape instead of portrait. No resizing is necessary.

[quote name='Machikunas']awesome[/QUOTE]
Not real hard to do, either. 15 minutes or so with an Xacto knife to play around. You can really streamline it once you've done it a few times.

[quote name='daroga']I think SnackBar gets a pretty constant flow of the new GBA releases, but most of them are done already.[/quote]

I still have a couple more GBA boxes to scan in, so there are still many GBA games out there that do not have a cover yet. If someone could please do SMMM's and my scans, that would be awesome. I have been really busy recently.

I think it's just not getting as much attention anymore since it's been stickied for so long, and people usually ignore stickies after a while.

[quote name='daroga']Not real hard to do, either. 15 minutes or so with an Xacto knife to play around. You can really streamline it once you've done it a few times.[/QUOTE]

The top half was surprisingly easy to cut out... the bottom half, however... surprisingly annoying.

[quote name='Machikunas']The top half was surprisingly easy to cut out... the bottom half, however... surprisingly annoying.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, the GBA cart slot is like butter. The DS card slot is a lot more intense plastic with all its reinfrocments and such.

If anyone needed some extra cases, I have about 30 new DS cases that I'd sell cheaper than whatever Nintendo is charging for replacements.

PM me if interested.

Thanks,
John

Out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you guys print the covers on? I would think medium-gloss photo paper would look best...

[quote name='Cream']Out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you guys print the covers on? I would think medium-gloss photo paper would look best...[/QUOTE]

I think there was a Snackbar topic on this. I used regular photocopy paper. You don't want it to be too glossy because there is some shine that comes off the plastic of the case.

Anyone have any trouble getting them to print at the top of the page? I'd have enough room if it didn't decide to print a full two inches from the top. I'm using GIMP, BTW.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I swear I looked everywhere on that site...[/QUOTE]
It can be tricky to navigate. Run a search, and then clikc on the platform you're looking for. Like, search for "Zelda" then when it loads up, click on the GBA tab.

[quote name='ZForce915']

It is one of my completed cases[/QUOTE]

Ahh...still wish I could fix the printing error to get these things done. Looked fantastic before it ran out of room.

Hey everyone!

I printed out my first two covers two days ago at the photo center in the Wal*Mart where I work. They look fricking awesome.

I'd like to request, if possible for anyone, that a cover for Mario Party 4 (GameCube, of course) get uploaded. I got the WaveBird/MP4 combo cheap at KMart and it has an ugly cover.

Thanks in advance!

bread's done
Back