The GBA DS Cover Project (discussion & links)

[quote name='tiredfornow']what's the best printing paper for this stuff? I want to do my dreamcast games in regular dvd boxes.. and I don't want them to look cheap with just regular printing paper, ya know.[/QUOTE]

According to manmann99 over at thecoverproject.net:

"Hey i work for a certain printing company and i believe you can use an 8pt gloss paper. that works great! its about as thick as the original insert"

Another option comes from The Game:

"For the DS cases, I use regular matte photo paper. You can get it anywhere. I've found that the glossy sometimes makes the colors too bright (Link's Awakening came out almost yellow.).

For the Universal cases, I got somephoto matte legal paper. Harder to get, I had to order it from Epson's website. It seems kind of thin, but it comes out beautifully."

Hey! Sorry to dig up such an old post, but since it's sticky, I guess it doesn't much matter, eh?

Anywhoo, I recently got the bug up my butt to case my entire GBA collection.

I printed out the first batch of covers at Kinko's on regular paper for a whopping $0.99 each. Had to bring my second batch to Staples were they were only $0.49 each. Looks pretty nice from both places, although neither one was done on glossy paper. Might have looked better, but I wanted cheap and they still look nice.

gball.jpg

God help me, I am seriously thinking about doing this for my GBA games. I'd have to buy 90 of the blank DS cases, though, in order to cover my collection and have a few left over so I didn't have to order again right away. That's 9 of Nintendo's 10-packs, times $7 apiece which would be $63 fuckin' dollars before shipping, without counting the cost of printing all the inserts. o-: Crap, I don't know if I should do that or just buy some more games. :p

[quote name='darkwingduck13']God help me, I am seriously thinking about doing this for my GBA games. I'd have to buy 90 of the blank DS cases, though, in order to cover my collection and have a few left over so I didn't have to order again right away. That's 9 of Nintendo's 10-packs, times $7 apiece which would be $63 fuckin' dollars before shipping, without counting the cost of printing all the inserts. o-: Crap, I don't know if I should do that or just buy some more games. :p[/QUOTE]

All I can say is: the cased games look damn sexy on the shelf ;)

Yeah, I know...I keep looking at my DS collection and thinking, "My GBA collection could look like that.......

I've got the original boxes for like 90% of my GBA carts, but they take up way more space on the shelf, and they're not durable at all (not that I'm taking them into the pit at a Pantera concert or anything, I'm just thinking of their longevity over a longer period of time).

I'm gonna break down. I know I will. :p

Are any of these sites still around? None seem to load for me. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but can't find any sites that have custom GBA covers.

[quote name='ShinMusashi44']Are any of these sites still around? None seem to load for me. I've been wanting to do this for awhile but can't find any sites that have custom GBA covers.[/QUOTE]

The Cover Project still exists, but it seems to have gone down yesterday and is still down today. Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be back :)

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

Now that I have some extra money and shelf space, I'm thinking about doing this for my collection of ~50 GBA, GBC, and GB games. If I printed the sleeves myself, how much would this set me back?

[quote name='radjago']Now that I have some extra money and shelf space, I'm thinking about doing this for my collection of ~50 GBA, GBC, and GB games. If I printed the sleeves myself, how much would this set me back?[/QUOTE]

50 sheets of full color ink. I'd say at the very worst it would use a whole cartridge of ink (which I doubt it will) and 50 sheets of paper. Add in the cost of the cases, which is $7 for 10 + S/H (I think its usually about $36 for 40 or 50 cases shipped).

Could anyone possible a) direct me to or b) scan for me a high res copy of the Etrian Odyssey cover? I just got a cart only copy of it. I assumed it would be easy enough to find a cover scan, but apparently not :p

On a related note, if anyone knows where I could get a manual as well, please drop me a PM.

[quote name='PRMega']According to manmann99 over at thecoverproject.net:

"Hey i work for a certain printing company and i believe you can use an 8pt gloss paper. that works great! its about as thick as the original insert"

Another option comes from The Game:

"For the DS cases, I use regular matte photo paper. You can get it anywhere. I've found that the glossy sometimes makes the colors too bright (Link's Awakening came out almost yellow.).

For the Universal cases, I got somephoto matte legal paper. Harder to get, I had to order it from Epson's website. It seems kind of thin, but it comes out beautifully."[/quote]

I was wondering what's the best paper. My wife has a Pixma 6000 which makes wonderful color photos so using this printer is great to go with making the covers.

though I don't know what paper to get, i need about a ream of 100 to make....

any type of brand? I was thinking if the glossy made it too bright, I may go with a matte look.

If someone has a Super Mario World one could they please Upload it?

Since thecoverproject.net is down >_>

GBA One BTW :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta check them out in hopes of finding one for Etrian Odyssey. Bought it at GS and they had the manual but no box art.

What happened to the cover project? Curious about the whole project but mainly looking a Final Fantasy VI GBA cover for a DS case. Any luck?

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Wow, this pretty cool. If only the JP gba covers were possible. Damn their space saving designs![/quote]

Some other games may have alternate versions (JP) out there, just have to see if someone from Japan or imported one to scan it.

Really I would love to help, I may have a few that aren't on there and I've been waiting for some free time... sounds like i might scan some in tonight.

I'm not against this at all, but I am wondering why you would spend the money to do it? Do you usually show off your collection of games to people or do you just like having cases for every game? Please be honest about it. Again only asking out of high curiousity.

Well I the thing for me is that some of the GBA games that I have have no box so it'll be nice to have something to show for it other than just the cart itself. I'm only going to use regular paper and regular ink. Not going to spend an atrocious amount of money making Hi-Quality art.

And the answer to your question, yes I like to have my media neatly & organized. Hate the boxes because they get easily trashed but having a case out its so much easier. Have my BD (Hate the WB boxsets because they are bigger than the other BD), DVD (Have a few that are oversized but I'm good with DVDs), CDs, PS1, PS2, PS3, DS, GC, Wii, DS, & GBA boxes that look ugly on the shelf (have them in a box).

I'm confused by what you mean in your last sentence. Are you saying you keep all your games that are not in regular type cases for their respective console in a separate box?

I think it just looks good, plus GBA boxes don't fair to well.

Have you seen any of the pictures that have done it??? it's great.

[quote name='J7.']I'm confused by what you mean in your last sentence. Are you saying you keep all your games that are not in regular type cases for their respective console in a separate box?[/quote]

Just started doing my GBA Boxes --> DS Cases...They look much better aligned with the DS cases. Right now I have all GBA original boxes in a box thrown in the closet.

This is simply AMAZING. Thank all of those who are working on those covers! I have so many GBA games without boxes that I can't believe someone came up with this great idea!

[quote name='TheMaidenOfSorrow']Made the GS cases; they look pretty cool. also had to do some modding inside the case so it could fit the manuals, it was a pain in the ass.

b7nw5i.jpg
[/QUOTE]

very nice, and I agree that it is a pain to fit the manual. But not as painful as trying to fit a GB/GBC cart in there... alot more hacking.

So I know this thread is a relic, but I just wanted to mention how helpful it was in getting into this. I finally bought a good printer for unrelated reasons (not that it wasn't a factor) and figured it was a good chance to both re-case my GBA games and get covers for some of the ones in generic cases.

I'm not what you would call a "crafts guy" but I was amazed at how easy it was and how nice the finished product looks, even with just an "alright" printer. My girlfriend laughed at me when I was buying all the supplies, but when she saw the finished product even she was impressed.

I just placed an order with the Nintendo store for another 10 DS cases, so this is definitely going to be a slippery slope.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

[quote name='D_Icon']Hey I printed a Street Fight Cover, put the pic came out small. How do I resize?[/QUOTE]

What program did you use to open it? Also, where did you find the cover?

Post a link to where the file was and I can probably figure it out for you.

Super Bump/Rise from Grave!

I'm kind of tempted to do this for my loose/cart only GBA/DS games over the summer. Is there any place that sells GBA/DS cases besides Nintendo's shop. I might have to switch out my used complete games with eco cases if I can't find the ones with the GBA cartridge holder.

I've been looking for some as well, just haven't commited yet cause having issuse finding covers for the games I need.

Same reason I haven't done a PS1>PS2 cover project.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Super Bump/Rise from Grave!

I'm kind of tempted to do this for my loose/cart only GBA/DS games over the summer. Is there any place that sells GBA/DS cases besides Nintendo's shop. I might have to switch out my used complete games with eco cases if I can't find the ones with the GBA cartridge holder.[/QUOTE]

From this thread I started....http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8382131#post8382131

[quote name='UncleBob']They're not Nintendo branded cases, but someone on TheCoverProject.net recently dug up this nice link...
http://hyperkin.com/index.php/dsi-d...il-game-cartridge-case-black-master-case.html
50 cases for $25.[/QUOTE]

But I'm planning on just buying from the big N and swap out my regular DS's.....

There isn't that many GBA's I want to get boxed, I already have 60, just need 60 more and I have plenty of opened DS cases already.

i have a sealed zelda GBA in a box. Should i keep it sealed?

Anyone know if the official nintendo ds cases that is online eco?i dont like the eco cases. Any tips for what kind of paper used to print the cover art?

[quote name='The Punisher']i have a sealed zelda GBA in a box. Should i keep it sealed?

Anyone know if the official nintendo ds cases that is online eco?i dont like the eco cases. Any tips for what kind of paper used to print the cover art?[/QUOTE]

The online cases from Nintendo are eco.

[quote name='The Punisher']Damn. Anyone know how much each ds case cost or how much for a pack?[/QUOTE]

at NA?

I think it was 2 each, 5 for 6, and 10 for 10.... or something.

so if you get 10 packs, $1 each, but shipping takes a nice bite.

I think I bought around $40-$50 and shipping was 11 or 13

[quote name='xycury']at NA?

I think it was 2 each, 5 for 6, and 10 for 10.... or something.

so if you get 10 packs, $1 each, but shipping takes a nice bite.

I think I bought around $40-$50 and shipping was 11 or 13[/QUOTE]

At anywhere as long as its not eco and is almost like the ones Nintendo DS uses, but doesnt have to be from Nintendo.

Im new to this and want to start using these cases with the cover project to put my Gameboy advance games in it.

[quote name='The Punisher']At anywhere as long as its not eco and is almost like the ones Nintendo DS uses, but doesnt have to be from Nintendo.

Im new to this and want to start using these cases with the cover project to put my Gameboy advance games in it.[/QUOTE]

Look at post 940, probably the cheapest you'll get

[quote name='xycury']very nice, and I agree that it is a pain to fit the manual. But not as painful as trying to fit a GB/GBC cart in there... alot more hacking.[/QUOTE]

any ideas on fitting the manuals in the ds cases?

Thanks.

bread's done
Back