The Official CAG March 2013 Pick-Ups Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='DNukem170']Just arrived:

20130315_150152-1.jpg

Only paid $20 for Pokemon, which normally runs anywhere from 2x to 5x that price. Now the only saga that I need is Johto. Need one more JLC, one more Master Quest disc, and all of Johto Journies.[/QUOTE]

You paid $20 just for the disc?

[quote name='diazt350']You paid $20 just for the disc?[/QUOTE]

It came in a generic case with a different cover art. Considering that I condense my collections anyway (Advanced Battle first half has the Volume 1 cover) it doesn't matter much. And this is the first time I have seen a copy under $45 in years.

picture.php

I got an Optimus Prime not-Lego! It was really fun to build and took me a couple of days, but I think it was worth the $30 I paid for it. I picked it up from Wal-Mart on clearance. I also picked up a Megatron not-Lego.

[quote name='ZombieToast']In what way(s)?[/QUOTE]

It's a serious story. It's got all the melodrama that one would expect from a Square game. There's political turmoil, many characters die, etc. This is meant as a serious story. The translation does NOT do a good job conveying this, though. What's going on always feels at odds with how it is being presented. I remember the translation's text feeling stiff and insipid, but that is overshadowed by the bigger issue; The translation's most egregious offence really is the voice acting.

It is pathetically bad, and it is the principle reason I quit playing the game when I did (after 25 hours or so). It is borderline Chaos Wars bad. There is no Japanese option, so you are just stuck with the US voices. You could turn them off, but given that your characters holler out to you in battle (some of these things are actually important, especially in boss fights) and are still clearly talking all throughout the game, it left me feeling like my character had lost his hearing for some reason and was rendered deaf. It was by no means a nice alternative. I just can't digest a serious story delivered in such a ridiculous manner.

Last edited by a moderator:
359en2a.jpg

Another part of my order from RightStuf during the VIZ sale came in today, along with my order from Play-Asia yesterday for the special package edition of Phantasy Star Online 2 for the Vita. :D

20130316_152052_zps7343021d.jpg

Freespace I found at a local place for $2, Fire Emblem from a trade with a friend, and the PSone stuff all was from a Craigslist lot for $80. I plan on getting rid of Thousand Arms since I already have a copy, so that'll drive down the price pretty good. I've been wanting a PSone with the mini screen for quite some time now.

20130316_152141_zpsbd71bb45.jpg

I'm impatient and got a new TV, a Samsung UN55ES6003 from AWD for $775. It didn't come in the original box and one of the TV stand screws was nearly completely stripped, but it looks absolutely flawless. The TV on the ground is my old 42" for a size comparison.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']

Freespace I found at a local place for $2, Fire Emblem from a trade with a friend, and the PSone stuff all was from a Craigslist lot for $80. I plan on getting rid of Thousand Arms since I already have a copy, so that'll drive down the price pretty good. I've been wanting a PSone with the mini screen for quite some time now.

I'm impatient and got a new TV, a Samsung UN55ES6003 from AWD for $775. It didn't come in the original box and one of the TV stand screws was nearly completely stripped, but it looks absolutely flawless. The TV on the ground is my old 42" for a size comparison.[/QUOTE]

Playing retro games is going to be ruff on a tv that size:whistle2:#isn't $80 for a PSone pretty high? Or are the games just really valuable (I haven't looked into which PS1 games are expensive lately). How does the screen look?

Given that Thousand Arms can go for $40-60, paying that extra little bit for the other games and the system itself is just fine. lol

Freespace I found at a local place for $2, Fire Emblem from a trade with a friend, and the PSone stuff all was from a Craigslist lot for $80. I plan on getting rid of Thousand Arms since I already have a copy, so that'll drive down the price pretty good. I've been wanting a PSone with the mini screen for quite some time now.[/QUOTE]

Ok, first time I'm jealous of someone's pickups in awhile. I think I searched years for a cheap copy of Thousand Arms, and never found it. That, and Thread of Fate both elude me.

What did you want the PSone for? Just for collecting, or to play? Because we have a PS2 with an add-on screen, which seems much more useful, since it plays PS1+PS2.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Playing retro games is going to be ruff on a tv that size:whistle2:#isn't $80 for a PSone pretty high? Or are the games just really valuable (I haven't looked into which PS1 games are expensive lately). How does the screen look?[/QUOTE]

Diablo on PS alone is about $50. It's not deal of the century, but still a good price for the lot.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Playing retro games is going to be ruff on a tv that size:whistle2:#isn't $80 for a PSone pretty high? Or are the games just really valuable (I haven't looked into which PS1 games are expensive lately). How does the screen look?[/QUOTE]

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my retro systems right now. Apparently aside from the absolute top-of-the-line models, companies have really started skimping on inputs. I'll need to pickup an HDMI switch for my PS3/360/Cable box, a DVI->HDMI adapter for my PC, and come up with something to hook up my Wii component cables and composite switch at the same time (it unfortunately has one shared composite/component). For the time being it'll have to suffice though until I get a house and can steal my 36" Trinitron CRT back from my parents' house

For the PSone, as Zaku and Elessar said, the two games are worth a decent amount each and almost enough to justify the price tag on them alone.

[quote name='elessar123']Ok, first time I'm jealous of someone's pickups in awhile. I think I searched years for a cheap copy of Thousand Arms, and never found it. That, and Thread of Fate both elude me.

What did you want the PSone for? Just for collecting, or to play? Because we have a PS2 with an add-on screen, which seems much more useful, since it plays PS1+PS2.
[/QUOTE]
I was fortunate enough to get a copy of Thousand Arms in a lot several years ago, but I've yet to find another aside from this one at a good price. Threads of Fate on the other hand was a huge goal for me at the time(for some reason playing the demo at Target one time really stuck with me). I paid a bit over what I typically buy games for that one I'm sure.

For the PSone, I was always intrigued by the re-release model, and absolutely love how awesome it looks with the add-on screen. It's nice, small and compact, and a ton of nostalgia. I'm not sure how much I'll actually end up using it considering I also have my PS2, PS3 and a hacked PSPGo, but we shall see.

[quote name='DNukem170']I forgot Sola even existed. Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

i liked it when i watched it a few years ago and its going out of print. Since its such a niche title i was worried about it not being picked up again.

[quote name='DNukem170']I forgot Sola even existed. Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed it. Nice little romance
,but pretty depressing

Time Lord Victorious!

20130316_194048-1.jpg

20130316_194152-1.jpg

Bought it mainly for Series 2 and 4. Already watched the other four through separate purchases (and own Series 1). All for about $100.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Playing retro games is going to be ruff on a tv that size isn't $80 for a PSone pretty high? Or are the games just really valuable (I haven't looked into which PS1 games are expensive lately). How does the screen look?[/QUOTE]

I picked up a PSone with LCD screen and memory card on 1/17, I paid about $40 for that alone (the lcd screen was a huge driving factor).

The LCD screen alone can go for $40+, the games he could sell and break even, so he got a very good deal.
You would be suprised the screen is a great size because you should have it really close, I have the power cord plugged in next to my bed and the console folded up near my xbox, if I get the retro urge I can just put it right next to me and play.
Also has built in speakers and contrast - + button's. It was like the psp but better IMO.

It's nice and small and folds up, plus, built in screen, and as retro games can get iffy on a brand new 40" 1080p screen, I really think he got a GREAT deal.

Big one for me today. Id been planning on getting a Saturn for a while now. I already have a list of the games I'd like to get for it to play. I couldn't pass this lot up. It's very rare that you can start out your console collection with one of the most valuable titles. I paid $375 for this lot. That's a lot of money, and I don't know if I would have bought it if I knew at the time I was going to be paying for PS3 repair. I'm still waiting for a Vita price drop as well.

But I'm happy with this purchase. I feel I got a very good deal, and I'm excited to finally build the Saturn collection I've been thinking of for a long while.

While searching for a Saturn console, I found this lot...

BB57C894-3D06-41FD-A62F-5A0553C65F6F-1670-000000E3D0F59C82_zps31ee1f7a.jpg

7E19D9C5-0BBB-4B87-95CC-47CFAE82D180-1670-000000E3DB310F07_zpsf7a5eebc.jpg

C2499752-3EF3-4300-AFD8-74D418DBDE21-1670-000000E3D67B1C0B_zpsed48c6ca.jpg

1A495315-229C-4555-8B48-D7B4834F9608-1670-000000E3DDE47FB7_zps0d22d8bd.jpg

I got that entire lot for less than the price of most completed auctions for PDS. Area 51 is complete and was actually also on my aformentioned list. And the best part...everything works perfectly and PDS...PDS is in immaculate condition. There is literally not a single scratch or smudge, not so much as a fingerprint or dust spec on any of the four discs. I really think its never been played (though it will be, by me). It's 100% complete--not just the manual, discs, art, and sleeves, but even the sega ad insert and the mail away for. It's all there.

This is such an exciting way for me to start my Saturn gaming.

Bored so here goes and I'm insanely jealous of Panzer Dragoon saga. Have the other two but that ones just too damn expensive right now.

102_0880_zps2584614d.jpg

Troy, DMC, and Fragile dreams are from gamestops random B2G1F coupon. My friend and I both picked up MW3 from bestbuy for $10 so we would have a new coop game to play. And I picked up Amular guide for $4 after unloading some unwanted comics to a local store, it was only $10 to begin with. Oh and more Pokemon!

102_0886_zps73a7e8c6.jpg

PS2 games were from Bestbuy. Surprised to see they still had games left and they were still $1.

102_0887_zps31208e6c.jpg

I got home and opened Elemental Master up and it was covered in Blockbuster stickers. Should have taken a pic, the damn thing had almost no visible cart and the label was covered up a little. Luckily everything came off pretty easy.

102_0926_zps4ac36c4c.jpg

All the figures were from Blockbuster. The one near me is down to its last 6 days and had all toys 70% off, guides were $3 a piece, all movies $3, games 40% off. Grabbed a few things not pictured: God of War III, Killzone 3, Dragon Age 2, and Infamous 2 guides and Kirby Squeak Squad for pretty cheap. Haruhi was $30. Out of print so I figured why not.

Just grabbed a whole mess of games. Went to a local used shop that's a bit out of my way, so it's been a while since I had a chance to peruse their selection.

4BD64583-D1E0-4ACF-BCD0-F3C3DDC8072C-1753-0000010B3FC4ECCA_zps16213a9a.jpg

~$110 got me this:

• PS1:

Ace Combat 3

• N64:

Micro Machinies
Gex 3

• Genesis:

Bart vs The Space Mutants (CIB)
Puggsy (CIB)
Chuck Rock 2
Death Duel
Dinoland
Landstalker
Thunder Force 2

• TG-16:

Final Lap Twin
Victory Run

• SNES:

Adventures of Dr Franken
B.O.B.
Bubsy
Cutthroat Island
Gradius III
Izzy's Quest
Jim Power Lost Dimension
NBA Live 95 (you know what this is gonna be used for ;) )
Out of the World
Power Piggs of the Dark Age (never even heard of it before seeing it on the shelf :p )
Rival Turf
Super Battletank: Wat in the Gulf
Super Ninja Boy

I'm impatient and got a new TV, a Samsung UN55ES6003 from AWD for $775. It didn't come in the original box and one of the TV stand screws was nearly completely stripped, but it looks absolutely flawless. The TV on the ground is my old 42" for a size comparison.[/QUOTE]

Mmmmmmm, delicious TV is delicious!

[quote name='Squarehard']You've definitely been on a retro binge as of late haven't you, wiggy?[/QUOTE]

LOL! Take a look at like 95% of my pickups over the months. That's sort of my thing for the most part ;)

Took a trip to the local best buys to see if they had any of the clearance titles and was able to walk away with these three for $20 or so dollars after some reward zone coupons.

dtTdIwz.jpg

Went to Best Buy after I went to the Market with my Mom. Best Buy had 10 Copies of Pikimin 2 when it said unavailable. :lol: Left with this. Wasn't interested in the other Clearanced Titles at the time. That and I also don't want to spend more money.
20130317_143436_zpsc7eb413b.jpg

[quote name='Olengie']Went to Best Buy after I went to the Market with my Mom. Best Buy had 10 Copies of Pikimin 2 when it said unavailable. :lol: Left with this. Wasn't interested in the other Clearanced Titles at the time. That and I also don't want to spend more money.
20130317_143436_zpsc7eb413b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

what's the second copy for?

Freespace I found at a local place for $2, Fire Emblem from a trade with a friend, and the PSone stuff all was from a Craigslist lot for $80. I plan on getting rid of Thousand Arms since I already have a copy, so that'll drive down the price pretty good. I've been wanting a PSone with the mini screen for quite some time now.[/QUOTE]
Be VERY careful with the PSone screen. I have two of them and the hinge on one broke after about a year of infrequent, gentle usage. The second occasionally has video distortion issues. I've reinforced the bottom seam of the screen with tape, so hopefully that will keep it from self-destructing. I'd strongly recommend that you do that with yours, as well. I baby my stuff, especially anything with a hinge, so for one to break after how I handled it should speak volumes about how fragile it is.

[quote name='stiner']
Troy, DMC, and Fragile dreams are from gamestops random B2G1F coupon. My friend and I both picked up MW3 from bestbuy for $10 so we would have a new coop game to play. And I picked up Amular guide for $4 after unloading some unwanted comics to a local store, it was only $10 to begin with. Oh and more Pokemon!
[/QUOTE]
I am VERY VERY jealous of that guide... I want it baaaaaaadddddd.....

I had a problem with the PSOne Screen Hinge before... It popped off after I threw it down some stairs (I thought the bag was only full of clothes), but I was able to pop it back in eventually. It still works great! :lol:

[quote name='KillerRamen']I had a problem with the PSOne Screen Hinge before... It popped off after I threw it down some stairs[/QUOTE]

tumblr_m3rv5dBahT1rvh7eeo1_400.jpg

[quote name='BlueSwim']Be VERY careful with the PSone screen. I have two of them and the hinge on one broke after about a year of infrequent, gentle usage. The second occasionally has video distortion issues. I've reinforced the bottom seam of the screen with tape, so hopefully that will keep it from self-destructing. I'd strongly recommend that you do that with yours, as well. I baby my stuff, especially anything with a hinge, so for one to break after how I handled it should speak volumes about how fragile it is.[/QUOTE]

That is the first I've heard of them being fragile, but I will surely be careful in handling it from now on.

[quote name='Squarehard']
[/QUOTE]

You always had a way with words.

[quote name='Squarehard']
[/QUOTE]
I lol'd, Why the hell did you thow the damn screen down the stairs KillerRamen?

[quote name='anime5ever']I lol'd, Why the hell did you thow the damn screen down the stairs KillerRamen?[/QUOTE]

As previously stated, I thought it was just a bag of clothes. I had no idea my PSOne and PSOne LCD was in there.

They both work fine and look perfect, so I'm not too upset about it.

[quote name='KillerRamen']As previously stated, I thought it was just a bag of clothes. I had no idea my PSOne and PSOne LCD was in there.

They both work fine and look perfect, so I'm not too upset about it.[/QUOTE]
oh ok. that would've sucked if the screen got smashed.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']This is totally becoming my new avatar:bouncy:if anyone that's good at photoshop want's to give him a headband:cool:[/QUOTE]

nl7hgick_zpsfc76ac29.png

1427qx1.jpg

Picked up at Goodwill for $2.50.

Rad Gravity not only included the manual (which is more among the lines of a comic book! :applause:) but it also had a folded up paper with save passwords stashed behind the manual. The Sailor Moon book is one of those "animanga" where they use stills from the anime and present them sort of like a manga. It's entirely Japanese (obviously) but it was a pretty neat find that I had to jump on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back