The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

Yeah, if there's not a ridiculous premium, I could swing it.

Then again, I remember some of the more popular import sites offering 3DS for $500....

[quote name='dallow']The rumored JPN release is Nov 2nd.
Probably Feb or Mar for US anyway.[/QUOTE]

Nice birthday present. Just the wrong country :( I guess I'll have to make due with Uncharted 3 and skyrim for my birthday. Poor me.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Those were announced at GamesCom a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I thought so, Destructoid was acting like they were new or something.

I like Destructoid, but sometimes they are a little late with the news, haha. I might just buy Dragon's Crown, game looks really awesome and I'm digging the art style.

Even with all the awesome high production titles like Uncharted, Persona 4 and Gravity Daze, I'm super excited for the new Lumines game. Lumines + good heaphones = ahhh yeah! I always kept my psp by bed to play Lumines before going to sleep.

Super Monkey Ball announced for Vita for early 2012:
SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that the latest title in the popular Super Monkey Ball™ series is coming exclusively to the PlayStation®Vita system early in 2012. Everybody’s favorite monkeys AiAi, MeeMee and GonGon are back for more banana collecting fun in Super Monkey Ball* for PlayStation®Vita. Exclusively designed for the PlayStation Vita system’s unique functions, the game continues the motion-based experience of the previous adventure whilst making full use of the dual analog sticks and front/back-touch controls.

The puzzling primates return with all-new worlds, original mini-games and updated graphics adding a fresh new vibrancy to Super Monkey Ball for PlayStation Vita. Players can manage each monkey's momentum to navigate narrow ledges, moving platforms and loads of challenging obstacles. Roll your chosen ape to the goal by taking full advantage of the capabilities offered by the innovative new PSVITA handheld console and challenge up to four friends in Wi-Fi enabled multiplayer modes. Fans can also enjoy revamped classic games such as the much-loved Monkey Target, along with brand new additions.

“Since evolving onto the current generation of consoles, the Super Monkey Ball franchise has always offered innovative game design, challenging the hardware capabilities for all the consoles it has released on,” said Gary Knight, Senior Vice President of Marketing at SEGA Europe and SEGA of America. “Super Monkey Ball for PlayStation Vita is a great opportunity to experience the exciting features that the PlayStation Vita system offers and the SEGA development team is bringing an exciting new experience while staying true to the franchise.”

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Super Monkey Ball announced for Vita for early 2012:[/QUOTE]

I doubt anyone was suprised by this. I think my last refrigerator even can play Monkey Ball. Sega whored that franchise out more then a preachers daughter.

Good thing I haven't played Monkey Ball since the first one on Gamecube then, heh. TGS is tomorrow, should be some big news!

[quote name='SynGamer']We really need to see some RPGs (big titles), a racer or two (NFS/Burnout or possibly a GT?), and a new modern shooter.[/QUOTE]

TGS will answer some of those worries. I'd bet the farm on it!

[quote name='SynGamer']We really need to see some RPGs (big titles), a racer or two (NFS/Burnout or possibly a GT?), and a new modern shooter.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - as long as there is a "sleep mode" or "quick save" or some feature built into these games that allows me to pick up where I left off (without draining battery life) so I can just flush the toilet instead of my legs going numb.

[quote name='Javery']Agreed - as long as there is a "sleep mode" or "quick save" or some feature built into these games that allows me to pick up where I left off (without draining battery life) so I can just flush the toilet instead of my legs going numb.[/QUOTE]

Playstation Cloud. Coming soon..

Just announced in the latest Famitsu:

Thanks to duckroll for the translations.

Announcements:

Ys - Celceta, Sea of Trees (Vita)
-Remake of Ys IV
-Uses Ys VII's party system
-Go here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444789

Cave Shooting Game (Vita)

Lord of Apocalypse (Vita/PSP)
-Lord of Arcana sequel

Ninja Gaiden: Sigma (Vita)

Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 (Vita)

Hell's Army (Vita)
-4 player musou monhun
-Launch title

DJ Max Technika (Vita)

Katamari (Vita)

Browser 3 Kingdom (Vita)

Bass Fishing (Vita)

F1 2011 (Vita)

Dragon's Crown (Vita)

Cave iPhone Minigame Port (Vita)

God Eater 2 (PSP)

There was some other stuff duckroll didn't feel was notable enough to translate.
Originally Posted by Jonnyram:
SCE titles:
Escape Plan
Sound Shapes
Sawari Makuru (translates to Touching Lots)
Super Stardust Delta
Reality Fighter 0
WipeOut

[quote name='dallow']Japanese release date:

December 17th, 2011[/QUOTE]

I'm following the TGS feed also, seems like the US info will miss us tonight.

[quote name='dallow']Japanese release date:

December 17th, 2011
[/QUOTE]

Needs to come out same time in the US for them to have a killer launch. Dont they know Xmas = SALES? Damnit, I cannot get this thing soon enough!

[quote name='Josh5890']Final Fantasy X in HD has been announced for Vita and PS3. Wow[/QUOTE]

I really wish Square Enix still had the capacity to make great games like FFX again. Ten years later all they can do is port the game in HD graphics and have a bunch of releases with ridiculously stupid names. I'm buying the game day one because that's the last time Final Fantasy was actually good. If they can somehow manage to make Blitzball (think that was the name) online I would die happy.

[quote name='Blackout']I really wish Square Enix still had the capacity to make great games like FFX again. Ten years later all they can do is port the game in HD graphics and have a bunch of releases with ridiculously stupid names. I'm buying the game day one because that's the last time Final Fantasy was actually good. If they can somehow manage to make Blitzball (think that was the name) online I would die happy.[/QUOTE]

This is great news! Now get me FF12 and Versus 13, Square!

Interesting news item over on the-magicbox.com http://the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm, that Sony Japan stated that 600+ PSP games will be playable at launch, including ones that you have on UMD, and that more news is coming soon.

Presumably they were working on something like this for the Go, but maybe just decided to hold off for the next system. I've been buying everything on PSN just to be on the safe side, but this could be a really nice gesture for Sony's most loyal customers.

Great, so:

no internal memory
overpriced memory to buy separately
3-5 hour battery life
no US launch before the holidays

No longer hyped. I'd much rather use that money to buy 5 or so new PS3 games than just get the Vita.

No launch before the holidays is good in my opinion. Far too many AAA games coming out for Sony to compete with, especially Uncharted 3. The beginning of the year is usually a bit stale anyway after the holiday rush so launching it then makes perfect sense.

Yes, no internal memory sucks, but we're used to buying proprietary cards for Sony's systems anyway. Give China a few months and I'm sure there will be a converter of some sort ;)

3-5 hour battery life seems understated. The original PSP was rated around what...6 hours? With brightness turned down and a few other settings adjusted I was able to get a good 7-8 out of my first-gen. I expect Sony is underrating the battery life to be on the safe side.

EDIT: truth be told, I may cancel my pre-order and wait for a bundle or two. They almost ALWAYS happen a few months after release...and there are a number of titles coming out this fall that I would love to get. Time will tell but I have plenty of time to decide :) Heaven help me if GS has a B2G1 sale in November...

[quote name='Blackout']I really wish Square Enix still had the capacity to make great games like FFX again. Ten years later all they can do is port the game in HD graphics and have a bunch of releases with ridiculously stupid names. I'm buying the game day one because that's the last time Final Fantasy was actually good. If they can somehow manage to make Blitzball (think that was the name) online I would die happy.[/QUOTE]

I think FFX was Sakaguchi's last game? That explains that...

Although I (to my surprise) liked FF12, hope to like FF13, and am (also to my surprise) liking Dragon Quest 9...and of course technically Deus Ex 3 is theirs too :)

Anyway, I'd love if this was more than just a port, but even if it's a port, I'll buy the Vita version most likely. FF9 and 10 are my favorites.

I don't mind the lack of internal memory, they have to keep the cost down somehow. I think we'd all be bitching if it came with 16GB of storage but also cost $100 more (at least). You know this would happen. There's no way they would include 16, or even 8Gb of internal storage and maintain this price point

Also pretty sure it was already confirmed that it wouldn't be released here for the holidays.. Anyone nitpicking over these types of things didn't really care about getting the Vita to begin with.

Aren't they opening themselves up to piracy again if games can be run off of external memory? You know someone is going to get CFW on there as fast as possible...

[quote name='Javery']Aren't they opening themselves up to piracy again if games can be run off of external memory? You know someone is going to get CFW on there as fast as possible...[/QUOTE]

They didn't have a choice. Discs are large and cost more power to read from. Plus they are wholly unpractical when you realize that smartphone users have all of their games in the internal storage of their phone already.

Besides, if this thing gets jailbroken, some people will buy solely for emulation capabilities.

[quote name='Javery']Aren't they opening themselves up to piracy again if games can be run off of external memory? You know someone is going to get CFW on there as fast as possible...[/QUOTE]
I was wondering this originally, but I'm assuming that they feel comfortable with it based on the lack of piracy that the PSN has faced.

Hackers, downtime, etc - I still haven't seen any stories about people successfully getting licensed content offered only on the PSN (but I haven't been looking either).

Unfortunately it's inevitable it'll be cracked-all DRM is (making activation's stated goals dubious at best).

I just wish jackasses would quit stealing games. It's like what's the most expensive PSP game? $40? Tons are $20. Tons are even $10 AS AN OFFICIAL PRICE POINT? Buy the damn game you cheap thieving bastard, you know?

[quote name='Anexanhume']They didn't have a choice. Discs are large and cost more power to read from. Plus they are wholly unpractical when you realize that smartphone users have all of their games in the internal storage of their phone already.

Besides, if this thing gets jailbroken, some people will buy solely for emulation capabilities.[/QUOTE]

I was just thinking they would be better off with internal memory like the iPhone (but I guess that didn't help stop piracy either). I do agree that CFW would actually help sell systems (but not games).

[quote name='nbballard']I was wondering this originally, but I'm assuming that they feel comfortable with it based on the lack of piracy that the PSN has faced.

Hackers, downtime, etc - I still haven't seen any stories about people successfully getting licensed content offered only on the PSN (but I haven't been looking either).[/QUOTE]

Are games only going to be available off of PSN? That would kind of suck (no real good deals). I think any way they go they will open themselves up to piracy but hopefully it won't be as easy this time around and developers will want to make games for it.

[quote name='Javery']
Are games only going to be available off of PSN? That would kind of suck (no real good deals). I think any way they go they will open themselves up to piracy but hopefully it won't be as easy this time around and developers will want to make games for it.[/QUOTE]

No, there is a new physical media (flash) they are going to use for game distribution.

[quote name='Javery']I was just thinking they would be better off with internal memory like the iPhone (but I guess that didn't help stop piracy either). I do agree that CFW would actually help sell systems (but not games).[/QUOTE]

Flash is expensive. Plus having to sync to a computer if you go beyond your storage allowance? Not something handheld gamers are necessarily used to.

[quote name='orntar']No, there is a new physical media (flash) they are going to use for game distribution.[/QUOTE]

I'm slightly worried/confused about why they're using flash instead of ROM. If indeed that's really what they're doing.

Flash actually doesn't hold it's data forever without being refreshed, plus costs more, so...I don't know why they'd use it to store games, when large ROMs are already expensive!

I'm super curious how large games will be...I wish reviews would list cartridge sizes for DS, 3DS, and Vita games, as I'm always curious!

[quote name='mykevermin']FFX has me very, very interested in a Vita now.

fuckin' a, man. should have put my 3DS money on a Vita.[/QUOTE]

I reeeeeeally did not have you pegged as an FFX fan.

[quote name='mykevermin']FFX has me very, very interested in a Vita now. [/QUOTE]

Same here since I never played FFX for some reason.

[quote name='Javery']I was just thinking they would be better off with internal memory like the iPhone (but I guess that didn't help stop piracy either). I do agree that CFW would actually help sell systems (but not games).[/quote]
Like the PSP Go, which was hacked? Internal or external memory has zero effect on that. Cost to the end user is the main thing that is affected by that decision.

I'd much, much, much, much rather they spend that money on RAM and CPU and GPU power. (I really wish Vita still had 1GB instead of 256MB...seems like matching the 512GB the other consoles have would have been a good idea.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm slightly worried/confused about why they're using flash instead of ROM. If indeed that's really what they're doing.

Flash actually doesn't hold it's data forever without being refreshed, plus costs more, so...I don't know why they'd use it to store games, when large ROMs are already expensive!

I'm super curious how large games will be...I wish reviews would list cartridge sizes for DS, 3DS, and Vita games, as I'm always curious![/QUOTE]

I believe they said the games would be 2GB - 8GB in size...

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'd much, much, much, much rather they spend that money on RAM and CPU and GPU power. (I really wish Vita still had 1GB instead of 256MB...seems like matching the 512GB the other consoles have would have been a good idea.)[/QUOTE]

You need to do better research. The PSV has 512MB of RAM for the system, and the GPU has it's own 128MB of RAM.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Like the PSP Go, which was hacked? Internal or external memory has zero effect on that. Cost to the end user is the main thing that is affected by that decision.[/QUOTE]

External memory makes it easier to load/install games though doesn't it? I don't know. I guess it depends on how badly you want to do it. The PSP (external memory is a standard feature) is really easy - you just flash the thing and then load games on a memory card. This can all be done without really buying anything additional but it is tricky because you have to actually figure out what to do. The DS (external memory not a standard feature) is also really easy but you have to go out of your way to buy a flashcard - this extra step is probably a deterrent for a lot of people... maybe...

[quote name='SynGamer']You need to do better research. The PSV has 512MB of RAM for the system, and the GPU has it's own 128MB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

Huh...hopefully that turns out to be the case. Initially the rumor was 1GB. Then that was dropped to 256MB in the actual shipping version (probably to hit the $250 price point), but yeah, stuff's saying it's been bumped actually all the way to 768 now...which of course if true means it's got 50% MORE RAM than the other two systems!

[quote name='Wolfpup']Huh...hopefully that turns out to be the case. Initially the rumor was 1GB. Then that was dropped to 256MB in the actual shipping version (probably to hit the $250 price point), but yeah, stuff's saying it's been bumped actually all the way to 768 now...which of course if true means it's got 50% MORE RAM than the other two systems![/QUOTE]

Up until E3 all that was reported were RUMORS. Nothing had ever been confirmed by Sony prior to then. Anyway, here are the OFFICIAL specs :D

http://www.sys-con.com/node/1947549

Code:
Platform Name     PlayStation(R)Vita
    Model number      PCH-1000 series
    CPU               ARM(R) Cortex(TM)-A9 core (4 core)
    GPU               SGX543MP4+
    External           Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
     Dimensions        (tentative, excludes largest projection)
                       5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors,
    Screen             OLED
    ------             ------------------------------------------------------
    (Touch screen)    Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
    --------------    ------------------------------------
    Main memory       512MB
    -----------       -----
    VRAM              128MB
    ----              -----
    Rear touch pad    Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
    Cameras           Front camera, Rear camera
                      Frame rate : 120fps@320x240(QVGA), 60fps@640x480(VGA)
                      Resolution : Up to 640x480(VGA)
    Sound             Built-in stereo speakers
                      Built-in microphone
                       Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,
                       three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic
    Sensors            compass
    -------           ------------------------------------------------------
    Location          Built-in GPS (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
    --------          ----------------------------------
                      Wi-Fi location service support
                      ------------------------------

Keys / Switches   PS button
    ---------------   Power button
                      Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
                      Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
                      Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
                      Right stick, Left stick
                      START button, SELECT button
                                                         Volume buttons (+/-)
    Wireless
     communications   Mobile network connectivity  (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
                       IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure
                       mode/Ad-hoc mode)
                      Bluetooth(R) 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
                      -----------------------------------
    Slots/Ports       PlayStation(R)Vita card slot
    -----------       --------------------------
                      Memory card slot
                      ----------------
                      SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
                      -----------------------------------
                       Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN,
                       Audio (Stereo Out /Mono In), Serial data
                       communication),
                      ---------------------------------------------------
                       Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio (Stereo Out
                       /Mono In))
                       ----------
                      Accessory port
                      --------------
    Power             Built-In Lithium-ion Battery,
    -----             -----------------------------
                      AC adaptor
                      ----------
    Supported         Music
    ---------         -----
                       -- MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC),
    AV content         WAVE (Linear PCM)
    ----------        -------------------------------------------------
    format            Videos
    ------            ------
                       -- MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC
                       High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
                       --------------------------------
                      Photos
                      ------
                      -- JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG
                      -----------------------------------------

[quote name='Javery']External memory makes it easier to load/install games though doesn't it? I don't know. I guess it depends on how badly you want to do it. The PSP (external memory is a standard feature) is really easy - you just flash the thing and then load games on a memory card. This can all be done without really buying anything additional but it is tricky because you have to actually figure out what to do. The DS (external memory not a standard feature) is also really easy but you have to go out of your way to buy a flashcard - this extra step is probably a deterrent for a lot of people... maybe...[/QUOTE]
I don't think there's really much of a difference as far as the ease of a system being hacked is concerned. If it's going to be hacked, it'll happen.

Sony's main concerns are to make sure it's not stupidly simple to crack and that the price is appealing for consumers for the features that it has.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm slightly worried/confused about why they're using flash instead of ROM. If indeed that's really what they're doing.

I'm super curious how large games will be...I wish reviews would list cartridge sizes for DS, 3DS, and Vita games, as I'm always curious![/QUOTE]

It may be that the game section is some sort of rom, and there is a flash portion for downloads and saves.

Although, being multiples of 2 made me think all flash.

bread's done
Back