The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Flowette']There was a LOT of love for Giana Sisters in this thread when it popped up on a sale (was it a flash? Or maybe GMG?), so I'll jump on it at 66% off if it wins.

Something about Swedish metal music. I think. It was probably discussed about 200 pages ago (Xmas eve maybe).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='facls']I played it through the first world, it's a very entertaining platformer. Some tough parts but checkpoints are spread out well. And no lives limit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Eldredpe']Machinae Supremacy did the soundtrack.
It's pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Might have to reconsider my stance on this one if it wins - thanks all. :D

Giana is the schiznit. If it goes to ~$5 again and you don't have it go for it.

As much as I buy games it's rare that one entices me to play it for more than 5 minutes but this one did.

It's an updated version of a classic platformer game that is visually stunning with an excellent soundtrack.

The Fallout games had better show up today. I've told several people over the past few days not to worry about it, that they're guaranteed to show up before the sale ends. I would hate to have misinformed them. It certainly seemed very likely.

[quote name='The End']The Fallout games had better show up today. I've told several people over the past few days not to worry about it, that they're guaranteed to show up before the sale ends. I would hate to have misinformed them. It certainly seemed very likely.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this was a weird sale... Did we even see the Half Life games go on daily at all?

I kickstarted it and I have no regrets. Giana Sisters is a quality game. The challenge more comes from trying to get all the stars rather than just surviving. While you probably will die a lot, it doesn't hurt you that bad. I need to get back to it.

[quote name='Flowette']There was a LOT of love for Giana Sisters in this thread when it popped up on a sale (was it a flash? Or maybe GMG?), so I'll jump on it at 66% off if it wins.

Something about Swedish metal music. I think. It was probably discussed about 200 pages ago (Xmas eve maybe).[/QUOTE]

Updated your album discussion.

Finally got through chapter 10 of Hotline Miami without it crashing.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Absolutley yes.

During this sale...? Who knows. The final sales will probably Alan Wake and every Community Choice winner at 40% off. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Not during this sale for sure but in a future one.

[quote name='hbluft']Yeah, this was a weird sale... Did we even see the Half Life games go on daily at all?[/QUOTE]

I remember that Half-Life Complete(and the various Half-Life games) hit 75% off as a flash sale. I don't remember them going up as a daily at all.

[quote name='Preedatore']Updated your album discussion.[/QUOTE]

LOL

If we're going with Scandinavian metal, I'll have to chip in with some Lordi.

Here is how Giana Sisters works. You have two sisters, hell if I remember their names. Each sister has a different ability mapped to the controller so when you use the ability or press right trigger (don't know keyboard layout since I am using 360 gamepad), you switch sisters. Now with that the graphics and music of the level change seamlessly. So you will be switching back and forth between remixed updated commodore style music and Swedish metal music. Also certain parts of the level change when switching like direction of rotating platforms and such.

Excellent game, and to top it off, DX11 support. Yeah DX11 support for an indie 2D platformer. Well worth $5 and hell worth $15 for just the production value that went into it. It's seriously awesome.

[quote name='jkimrey']Ace of Spades looks like fun - anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

I got it in a 4 pack when it went on sale earlier during this sale. It is way more fun then I thought it would be. As an FPS it is average, but the fact that you can mine through the levels and create your own paths really is a lot of fun. I've taken down huge chunks of a map by myself before and leaving the enemy in the total open as they tried to approach our base from major sections of the area. The way maps look near the end from how they started is crazy sometimes, with some barely even recognizable as what it was when it first started.

[quote name='KaOTiK']I got it in a 4 pack when it went on sale earlier during this sale. It is way more fun then I thought it would be. As an FPS it is average, but the fact that you can mine through the levels and create your own paths really is a lot of fun. I've taken down huge chunks of a map by myself before and leaving the enemy in the total open as they tried to approach our base from major sections of the area. The way maps look near the end from how they started is crazy sometimes, with some barely even recognizable as what it was when it first started.[/QUOTE]

It does look quite interesting. I'll add it to my wishlist in case it drops to 75% off in the future. Thanks for the mini-review!

[quote name='jkimrey']Ace of Spades looks like fun - anyone played it?[/QUOTE]

I've enjoyed Ace of Spades as well, fighting against Zombies I found quite amusing. As KaOTiK stated the digging in the map brings a new element in the game. I'm not disappointed with my purchase as I grabbed in a four pack.

I picked up Satazius ($2.99) last night after enjoying the demo. It's a pretty fun old-school type shooter, so if you fancied Thunderforce, the old Darius games, etc. this is right up your alley. It works perfectly with my wireless Xbox 360 controller, allows you to save your replays, and offers a variety of weapons to earn and swap between on the fly.

While I appreciate modern arcade shooters with their point systems, close shave boosts, and floral bullet patterns, this game refreshingly offers none of those.

Here's some video (which is stretched a bit vertically for some reason):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwSWRNRBO4

I'm getting mixed signals on Ace of Spades. Some people say it's awful and to steer clear, others say it's fun and unique. I also see that a lot of people are complaining that they can't even run it. I'm interested and I'd probably bite at the 4-pack price, but the negative reviews are scaring me off.

[quote name='Tsel']I'm getting mixed signals on Ace of Spades. Some people say it's awful and to steer clear, others say it's fun and unique. I also see that a lot of people are complaining that they can't even run it. I'm interested and I'd probably bite at the 4-pack price, but the negative reviews are scaring me off.[/QUOTE]

I think the varying opinion might be because of the different game modes. Team Deathmatch, which is the most popular mode, doesn't really take advantage of the mining and building elements, so it leaves the game feeling like a subpar fps. Other game modes like Demolition, CTF and Zombie to an extent make the game feel more worthwhile and unique.

[quote name='SuiCide_KiNg_213']GMG STEAM KEY
Sine Mora 75% off, $2.49 ($2.00 w/discount code)
New code :
You can now use a 20% off voucher*
GMG20-PJFEW-Y16HK [/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just picked it up with my credit from Sleeping Dogs :cool:

[quote name='Correlli']Any thoughts on Evochron or Babel Rising?[/QUOTE]

Babel Rising is originally a touch screen game that is literally .99$ on the app store. (Or so steam forums are telling me)

[quote name='Drizzt']What I like about Giana Sisters is that it's challenging without feeling punishing. I don't feel like every level is intentionally trying to punish me for attempting to progress through it. Instead, they present challenges that may look incredibly difficult at first, but can be overcome, especially if you sometimes take a moment to think of what actions need to be taken which is nice since there's no time limit for the levels either. I've completed 2 out of the 3(?) worlds so far, and have been thoroughly enjoying the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Giana is challenging for sure but it never feels unfair like something like Eryi's does.

Eryi's is like:

Oh you're going to jump there? Whoops we forgot to tell you hidden spikes pop up from the ground there. LOL.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh you're going to jump there? Whoops we forgot to tell you hidden spikes pop up from the ground there. LOL.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely loathe learn-by-failure in video games. Just reading this post pissed me off a little bit.

As a complete and total fanboy of the band in question, it really warms my heart to see you guys enjoying Machinae Supremacy's work in Giana Sisters. :D

Voted for Giana as to hopefully spread even more awareness + sales of both the game and the music.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I absolutely loathe learn-by-failure in video games. Just reading this post pissed me off a little bit.[/QUOTE]

While I, on the other hind, feel that a ton of my best gaming time was learn-by-failure. Infocom text adventures, Sierra adventures, rogue-likes.

[quote name='Motoki']I agree with this. Giana is challenging for sure but it never feels unfair like something like Eryi's does.

Eryi's is like:

Oh you're going to jump there? Whoops we forgot to tell you hidden spikes pop up from the ground there. LOL.[/QUOTE]

:lol:
It almost seems like it's begging for it's own version of Pyst.

[quote name='gilby']While I, on the other hind, feel that a ton of my best gaming time was learn-by-failure. Infocom text adventures, Sierra adventures, rogue-likes.[/QUOTE]

It's like Sly and the Family Stone says, different strokes for different folks.

Repeats, repeats everywhere. No Fallout franchise as a daily. Wow.

Forge
Amnesia
Sleeping Dogs
Rage
Crysis franchise
Trine franchise

Pass.

For our racing fans: Any thoughts on Ignite? Looks like it's 90% off for $0.99 on Steam.

Not too excited about the Dailies, was really hoping for some Fallout love, but I'll pick up the Trine pack.

I hope they drop the flash sales next time around. In previous sales, we've had more dailies and still had less repeats.

Still only 50% off Goblin Menace DLC, and no discount on the Rage DLC makes me Rage.

[quote name='Stonekeep']Nothing again, pulling the trigger on new vegas.[/QUOTE]

Considering how Valve trolled everyone in the Summer sale, it's possible this will be the "daily deal" tomorrow. Not certain, of course, but that's exactly what happened with Jade Empire.

I guess I'll just pick up Defender's Quest and call it. Disappointing sale for me personally, but they still managed to get $10 out of me.

Feh, no Crusader Kings daily either. I guess I should have assumed that since it was a daily before the sale started. I guess I better hope that a retailer gives an excuse for Amazon to match them in the next month.

Time to round out the last-minute purchases seeing as I highly doubt the next batch of flash sales will be anything to write home about.

[quote name='deftrance']For our racing fans: Any thoughts on Ignite? Looks like it's 90% off for $0.99 on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Wondering this too. And no sales on dirt 3 or the newest dirt or fallout? They went on sale repeatedly last time. I'm wavering on A regular discount purchase. When exactly does this sale end? Missed it last time and I don't want to do it again.

Jeez. I was quiet the whole sale because certainly Fallout will be featured sometime, no need to panic yet. All I wanted out of this sale was New Vegas DLC, too. Maybe a flash?

Gonna debate on grabbing Sengoku since it never seems to drop below the current price. Will probably wait to see the last new set of flash sales holding onto hope that I might get lucky with something good popping up.

How many times has Amnesia been on sale? I feel like every time I've gone to Steam, Amnesia has been either a community choice, a flash, or a daily.

Oh well, someone earlier in the thread was hoping for RAGE, so at least he got what he was looking for.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I absolutely loathe learn-by-failure in video games. Just reading this post pissed me off a little bit.[/QUOTE]

As a platformer fan of a lot of old Amiga games, I agree with this. As much as I loved them as a teenager, I can't quite stand that kind of design anymore, least of all in platformers.

Having said that, I absolutely love FTL. I'll probably pick up Giana Sisters another day, but the demo gave me good vibes. I think the unlimited lives and the pretty kind continue points helped. It's more like "you can get through this with patience and skill well or awesomely, but until you do you'll sorta have to work at it a bit, mate" rather than "let's see if we can make you weep, you jerk. This game really never was for you." VVVVVV was the same way for me (I really need to beat that one day, too).

I just remembered this, but if anyone wants just the first Trine, I am assuming this will stack, I have a 75% off coupon that you can have.

I think the problem is there are SO many things that would have made good flash sales, but instead they just did mostly repeats of daily sales... Additionally, some of the daily sales should have just stayed as flash sales (Amnesia, etc) and been replaced with stuff that made sense like Half-Life, Fallout, etc.

I miss the old days. :)

[quote name='deftrance']For our racing fans: Any thoughts on Ignite? Looks like it's 90% off for $0.99 on Steam.

Not too excited about the Dailies, was really hoping for some Fallout love, but I'll pick up the Trine pack.[/QUOTE]

For $1, I bought it on the first day. Not going to stress over $1.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Wondering this too. And no sales on dirt 3 or the newest dirt or fallout? They went on sale repeatedly last time. I'm wavering on A regular discount purchase. When exactly does this sale end? Missed it last time and I don't want to do it again.[/QUOTE]

I picked up Dirt 3 for $20/25 last year iirc. Dirt 3 and showdown haven't seen good deals. Check the price trackers in my sig to see for yourself.

Two questions:

1. What will be the post-sale Valve troll daily this time around?
Fallout Franchise Sale
2. What are you picking up once the last Flash Sale is posted?

Mine:
- maybe iBomber Defense Pacific (simple TD game from iOS but the first one was pretty fun)

[quote name='jshackles']I think the problem is there are SO many things that would have made good flash sales, but instead they just did mostly repeats of daily sales... I miss the old days. :)[/QUOTE]

I'd even accept a few garbage titles, as long as we got some good ones mixed in. I could have swallowed a Rogue Warrior or Postal III daily if a couple of good new deals came with it. With this sale, either it was a game I'd never heard of (and I don't follow indie games, but I keep up with the gaming industry) or it was a repeat of a sale that had already happened two or three times.

Disappointed by this steam sale. Had $50 loaded in the steam account with the expectations of spending $50 more on top of that, and only bought the Skyrim DLC.

[quote name='daminion']Disappointed by this steam sale. Had $50 loaded in the steam account with the expectations of spending $50 more on top of that, and only bought the Skyrim DLC.[/QUOTE]

Save another $20 for Skyrim - Dragonborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back