The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='INCyr']Can someone explain to me the Darksiders pack pricing? Darksiders 2 is $25, but the franchise pack is $20. Am I missing something here?

Also, anyone have any idea if it's likely to go lower, or should I just ponder the Amazon franchise pack for $13.19?[/QUOTE]

It's possible it'll be part of a flash sale or daily deal. General rule of the Steam sales is to wait until the end of the sale to buy something that isn't a flash/daily deal.

In this case, you could always wait until tomorrow to see if Darksiders gets marked down more, but the Amazon deal is really good, and I'm sort of doubting Steam will go lower.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Totally getting Ghost Master for $0.74 :)[/QUOTE]

Be aware that the game does not run on some more recent systems without some tweaking. (I can't remember how much is needed to be done, but I know I just gave up on it when I couldn't get it to work.)

[quote name='nitman99']So as for the holiday sale badge...

Anyone buying anything want to update us on how some of these achievements work? Namely:

Does The Holiday Spirit achievement (buy a gift) work if you store the game in your inventory? Because if so that's one way the uncharitable among us can get on this (or if you just don't want to send out the gift until Christmas day)

Does It Pays for Itself (buy any discounted item) work whether you're buying a gift or for yourself?[/QUOTE]

Confirmed:

I just purchased a 75-cent DLC as a gift for my inventory.

I obtained both the "Holiday Spirit" and the "It Pays for Itself" achievements.

[quote name='Xxplicitt']Does anyone think Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition will be more than 33% off? This is probably the game I want more than anything besides The Witcher 2 which is currently %60 off.[/QUOTE]
DS surely will be at least 50% off as daily.

[quote name='veb']I'm hoping Kotor 2 will go on sale again since I missed it in the thanksgiving sale.[/QUOTE]

You and me both. I missed both KOTORs for that cheap price.

[quote name='INCyr']Can someone explain to me the Darksiders pack pricing? Darksiders 2 is $25, but the franchise pack is $20. Am I missing something here?

Also, anyone have any idea if it's likely to go lower, or should I just ponder the Amazon franchise pack for $13.19?[/QUOTE]

*blinks* go buy it from amazon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APOVDDY

It's on the front page and the top of the deals page.

[quote name='Blade']Prison Tycoon 3 is only $2.49.

You must buy it.[/QUOTE]

I'll probably just buy the pack. It's the only way to get Prison Tycoon 4: Supermax now. :p

[quote name='mac995555']Drakensang River of Time 75%

Looks like a cool RPG.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33770/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_8[/QUOTE]

We should probably help gift it to all the poor Europeans who want it and can't get it because it's not available in their region and Steam made the publisher go to Greenlight with it instead of, you know, letting a game in that's already on their store anyway.

[quote name='AutoXman']Beat Hazard is 70% off @ $2.99, I am sure it's been lower, but a nice way to enjoy your own music I find.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/49600[/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of keys for this game that I can't even sell for $1.50, and the keys include Ultra DLC. It is a good arena shmup like Geometry Wars with a lot of techno songs and the ability to play any song you want.

[quote name='iamtorsoul']Am I right to not be impressed with this first round of sale prices or am I just spoiled by CAG?[/QUOTE]

You have a right, some of these deals are laughable. I can go to Gamefly to get La Noire complete edition for half the price Steam has it for right now with the sale.

The Darksiders 2 "deal" is the funniest one.

[quote name='Blade']I have a bunch of keys for this game that I can't even sell for $1.50, and the keys include Ultra DLC. It is a good arena shmup like Geometry Wars with a lot of techno songs and the ability to play any song you want.[/QUOTE]

I bought this in the Indie Music Pack years ago, I miss those indie packs :(

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Does anyone have any opinions on Recettear or Endless Space? Maybe I just haven't been paying too much attention to indie games, but FTL has certainly got me a lot more interested in them.[/QUOTE]

Endless Space is fantastic if you like games like Master of Orion.

Recettear is a quaint silly Japanese style RPG/store sim.

I really want to get Scribblenauts for my daughter but it always seems like Steam tries to get you to buy high and then lowers the price further at some point during the sale.

Man, I can't seem to remember my Steam password. It seems that the only way to reset your password is through the Steam client, but I'm at work right now. Let's hope I don't miss anything I really want...

[quote name='kataztrophik']I bought this in the Indie Music Pack years ago, I miss those indie packs :([/QUOTE]

Definitely! Those packs were awesome. 5 games for $5 is a much better value than the current 30 games for $70. That's why I own Recettear, actually; it was in an RPG indie pack for only $1. Also, the mega pack group buys were excellent, 10 copies of a game for $7.50. I don't see why Valve hasn't done either promo since 2010.

[quote name='phatbhuda']Endless Space is fantastic if you like games like Master of Orion.

Recettear is a quaint silly Japanese style RPG/store sim.[/QUOTE]

See an I'm really meh on Endless Space but I LURVE the quaint silly little JRPG store sim. :p

Capitalism Ho!

*Edit: I hate tha this work computer doesn't have spell check.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']I really want to get Scribblenauts for my daughter but it always seems like Steam tries to get you to buy high and then lowers the price further at some point during the sale.[/QUOTE]

If it's one of the featured daily deals, the price won't go lower.

If it was on a flash sale, there is the chance it becomes a daily deal at some point in the sale is will go lower.

What I'm saying is Scribblenauts isn't going to go any lower this sale.

[quote name='Blade']I have a bunch of keys for this game that I can't even sell for $1.50, and the keys include Ultra DLC. It is a good arena shmup like Geometry Wars with a lot of techno songs and the ability to play any song you want.[/QUOTE]Would you be willing to trade for Legend of Grimrock key?

[quote name='NEP']If it's one of the featured daily deals, the price won't go lower.

If it was on a flash sale, there is the chance it becomes a daily deal at some point in the sale is will go lower.

What I'm saying is Scribblenauts isn't going to go any lower this sale.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, this used to be true.

[quote name='NEP']If it's one of the featured daily deals, the price won't go lower.

What I'm saying is Scribblenauts isn't going to go any lower this sale.[/QUOTE]

For the most part yeah, if it's a daily deal, it wont get any lower. The only exception I can think about was Saint's Row The Third complete which was half cheaper when it returned as a daily for the final day.

Hey come on. I thought this was CheapAssGamer, not CryingAssGoombas.

Games went on sale, and I'll be able to snag some games at cheap prices, I'm happy!

How many chapters will Winter Voices be when it's complete? $10 for all five parts is in my price range now -- although I'll wait in the unlikely event of a daily deal -- but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up to pay for another 10 parts down the road...

[quote name='vince_carter']really hope chivalry and skyrim get daily or flash deals[/QUOTE]

Chivalry maybe. Skyrim is practically guaranteed to get one. Bethesda games always do and they're putting it on sale on XBLA this week.

[quote name='jshackles']I wish there was a 4 pack for Scribblenauts.[/QUOTE]

I've been wanting to grab Scribblenauts but even at this sale price it's way too much imo

Meh, nothing so far, I was expecting to get the collection edition dlc for Borderlands 2 but both are still full priced.

Maybe a flash deal later today.

[quote name='bigdsinferno']I really want to get Scribblenauts for my daughter but it always seems like Steam tries to get you to buy high and then lowers the price further at some point during the sale.[/QUOTE]

A good rule of thumb that's served me well over the years...

25% off...HOLD!
40% off...HOLD!
50% off...HOLD!
60% off...HOLD!

75% off...NOW!

http://youtu.be/N1NupxasQWs

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I've been wanting to grab Scribblenauts but even at this sale price it's way too much imo[/QUOTE]

+1

I'm waiting for at least 50% off, I'm not in that big of a rush for it.

[quote name='louiedog']Chivalry maybe. Skyrim is practically guaranteed to get one. Bethesda games always do and they're putting it on sale on XBLA this week.[/QUOTE]
Skyrim is not a matter of if but more so when. When it does, I am gonna snag that DLC.

[quote name='Woodlands']How many chapters will Winter Voices be when it's complete? $10 for all five parts is in my price range now -- although I'll wait in the unlikely event of a daily deal -- but I wonder if I'm just setting myself up to pay for another 10 parts down the road...[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe that you need to buy the Prologue as well. So it's actually $12 if you want the complete collection.

I have no clue if there will be any further chapters.

I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but did Scribblenauts drop 10 cents in price? I could have sworn it was $20.09 but now it's $19.99.

Also, Critter Crunch looks cute. I think that'll be the only buy I make today.

[quote name='zillionandnine']I don't know if my eyes are deceiving me but did Scribblenauts drop 10 cents in price? I could have sworn it was $20.09 but now it's $19.99.[/QUOTE]

It did shortly after the sale started.

I know what you guys were talking about now when you said each subsequent Steam sale gets worse because as you go forward, you own more games.

For example, I own 4 of the 6 daily deals already...

You know, I think my biggest problem with this sale as it's structured is that there are only 6 daily deals. That just means that there are gonna be fewer games on sale during the course of the sale. Sure they have the flash sales and the community vote deals. But they had those during the summer sale and they still managed to have 9 daily deals.

[quote name='Motoki']See an I'm really meh on Endless Space but I LURVE the quaint silly little JRPG store sim. :p

Capitalism Ho!

*Edit: I hate tha this work computer doesn't have spell check.[/QUOTE]

I just started Recettear up 3 days ago (got it during autumn sale). Really enjoying it. already beat a playthrough of it. The difficulty scales well, and Even after beating it i want to go through again and get the adventurers that I didn't find. Reminds me of when I played harvest moon on 64 except all the kiddy dialogue replaced with joke dialogue.

If it stopped working, I'd pay $10 again to get it back.

Awesomenauts is great too.

[quote name='dbolt']Nothing for me today... Maybe Mirror's Edge but I have 2 days to think it.[/QUOTE]

I Was thinking the same thing. Nothing else for me to want to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back