The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Eldredpe']2003 would have been... Geforce 4?[/QUOTE]

That sounds right. I think I had a GeForce 4 440 or a Ti4400. Probably still have it.

Regarding the $11.24 D&D Ultimate Pack on GameStop...

I suspect:
D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE (as it is on GG, owned, verified).
D&D NWN Complete:
* NWN Diamond is DRM-FREE (as it is on GOG, though GG.uk lists DRM:Other)
* NWN 2 Platinum is SecuROM (as it is on GG.uk)

NWN 2 Platinum was on steam Nov 2010 - June? 2012. Atari lost distribution rights for it then and Hasbro has taken over distribution. NWN 2 digital distribution seems quite limited atm. NWN 2 is reportedly much patched since it's buggy release.

Why am I tempted to buy this just for NWN 2 Platinum? (own the rest) :wall:

Not that I was worried about accuracy but now that I think about it, I had a clunky old box with integrated graphics that I eventually upgraded with a GeForce 2 MX when the Everquest: Shadows of Luclin expansion (December 2001) came out and forced the upgrade. And I wasn't exactly buying bleeding edge technology.

So if I get Sims 3 on Steam, I can redeem it on Origin as well? I don't know if getting it just because its Steam is worth it 'cause I got Amazon credit atm.

Weird. I just noticed that the Free Indie Bundle has a countdown timer that ends in 12 hours.

Nitronic Rush looks interesting for any arcade racer fan.

Abobo's Big Adventure looks entertaining for anyone looking for a mashup of NEStalgia.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='asheskitty']Weird. I just noticed that the Free Indie Bundle has a countdown timer that ends in 12 hours.

Abobo's Big Adventure looks entertaining for anyone looking for a mashup of NEStalgia.[/QUOTE]

It looks like another game was added after Tony pointed this bundle out in the Amazon PCDD thread. Now I need to go grab Treasure Adventure Game.

And we now have official word on the THQ auction. THQ apparently sent a letter to their employees letting them know how it went down. You can read more about it here in this thread over on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

But here's the basic rundown:

Sega agreed to purchase Relic
Koch Media (AKA Deep Silver) agreed to purchase Volition and Metro
Crytek agreed to purchase Homefront
Take 2 agreed to purchase Evolve
Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park

[quote name='The End']And we now have official word on the THQ auction. THQ apparently sent a letter to their employees letting know how it went down. You can read more about it here in this thread over on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park[/QUOTE]
Great, I'm actually happy about Relic.

[quote name='Palinn']It looks like another game was added after Tony pointed this bundle out in the Amazon PCDD thread. Now I need to go grab Treasure Adventure Game.[/QUOTE]
Treasure Adventure Game is free on GOG... Just get it there.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Treasure Adventure Game is free on GOG... Just get it there.[/QUOTE]

Oh. Well that's even better assuming I don't already have it there.

Checking..........aaaaaaand.............I do. #-o

[quote name='The End']And we now have official word on the THQ auction. THQ apparently sent a letter to their employees letting them know how it went down. You can read more about it here in this thread over on NeoGAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509654

Ubisoft agreed to purchase Montreal and South Park[/QUOTE]

I'm extremely happy that Deep Silver got Volition, now let's hope that Saints Row 4 will not be as glitchy as Dead Island was at release.

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']I'm extremely happy that Deep Silver got Volition, now let's hope that Saints Row 4 will not be as glitchy as Dead Island was at release.[/QUOTE]

They got Metro as well. I think both will fit in with Deep Silver pretty well.

For Warhammer 40k fans,

As of December, SEGA has a Warhammer contract with Games Workshop through Creative Assembly. Now that SEGA has obtained Relic, we can reasonably expect no complications in a future Warhammer 40k game.

:applause:

[quote name='The End']It appears that Vigil (best know for the Darksiders franchise) was not purchased. Which means that they are now effectively defunct.[/QUOTE]
That's the biggest disappointment for me. I think it was their best franchise. I can't imagine how it was possible when even Homefront has been sold. Bummer.

[quote name='poxi']That's the biggest disappointment for me. I think it was their best franchise. I can't imagine how it was possible when even Homefront has been sold. Bummer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Crytek and Homefront... why do they even want it?

Homefront had a lot of potential. I can understand it being bought. Can't understand Darksiders NOT being bought. I've actually played neither, just speaking concept.

I can only assume that Darksiders was nowhere near a popular as one would think? Odd to think Homefront is a more valuable IP, but maybe HF was overproduced (hence all the cheap copies) so it skews its perceived value.

[quote name='Pheace']Yeah Crytek and Homefront... why do they even want it?[/QUOTE]

Crytek was developing the sequel to Homefront so it makes sense to buy it outright.

[quote name='Pheace']Yeah Crytek and Homefront... why do they even want it?[/QUOTE]

According to Distressed Debt Investing, SEGA paid $26 million for Relic, Ubisoft paid $3.2 million for South Park and $2.5 million for THQ Montreal, Koch Media paid $5.8 million for Metro and $22.3 million for Volition, Take-Two paid $11 million for Evolve and Crytek paid $500,000 for Homefront. No bids were placed for Vigil.
I guess just because it was cheap.
Quite interesting is the fact that Square-Enix, which is really good in making/porting 3rd person action games hasn't bought anything, especially when Vigil with Darksiders could probably be also sold relatively cheap.

[quote name='The End']It appears that Vigil (best know for the Darksiders franchise) was not purchased. Which means that they are now effectively defunct.[/QUOTE]

They could go independent and release a Castlevania style Darksiders platformer.

It isn't that Homefront is more valuable, it's that Homefront 2 is almost done already. Investing in Vigil right now is a huge burden. It would presumably take 10s of millions to get their next game going, and that's after the creative director behind the franchise left the studio a few months ago.

[quote name='asheskitty']Weird. I just noticed that the Free Indie Bundle has a countdown timer that ends in 12 hours.

Abobo's Big Adventure looks entertaining for anyone looking for a mashup of NEStalgia.[/QUOTE]

You know I wish I was better with photoshop or whatever program you would use to make Steam Banners.

I would totally pick this bundle up but thanks to my OCD I like to have all my non steam games added to steam and have Banners for them and I just don't know how to do it and it would drive me nuts everytime I saw them in my library without a banner.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Well, just because the auction is over, doesn't mean that other pubs won't be picking at the scraps.[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting we pool our money and purchase Vigil?

[quote name='Eldredpe']Are you suggesting we pool our money and purchase Vigil?[/QUOTE]

Better do it fast as according to the employee letter:

If you are an employee of an entity that is not included in the sale, we regret that your position will end. A small number of our headquarters staff will continue to be employed by THQ beyond January 25 to assist with the transition. THQ has sufficient resources to pay these employees for work going forward, and we will be contacting these employees immediately to ensure their continued employment during this transition period. We are requesting the ability to offer certain severance pay to minimize disruption for employees of non-included entities as they determine the next steps in their careers.

I've got $14 cash, 4 cats, and the hopes and dreams of my inner child.
Though, most of the hopes have been dashed and the majority of the dreams are broken.
Will that be enough?

Well at this point the purchase of the IP doesn't necessarily mean any of these companies will be keeping all these employees either. They could still sell Vigil's IP without any employees.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']I've got $14 cash, 4 cats, and the hopes and dreams of my inner child.
Though, most of the hopes have been dashed and the majority of the dreams are broken.
Will that be enough?[/QUOTE]

I'll throw in this copy of Interplay Valueware Solitaire for Windows I found in a box the other day while searching for my NOLF discs.

A google search informs me it is abandonware.

So I'm going to value it at $544,218.

Maybe Crytek will pick it up.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Well at this point the purchase of the IP doesn't necessarily mean any of these companies will be keeping all these employees either. They could still sell Vigil's IP without any employees.[/QUOTE]

You're correct. The THQ letter to employees said THQ expected the buyers to keep most positions but some will probably be axed. Pay/benefits/etc may not be the same.

Without at least the core members, resurrecting technical IP from such a shutdown will be difficult (and possibly more trouble than it's worth).

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I can only assume that Darksiders was nowhere near a popular as one would think? Odd to think Homefront is a more valuable IP, but maybe HF was overproduced (hence all the cheap copies) so it skews its perceived value.[/QUOTE]

I found that particularly hilarious, too. Then again I've always thought Darksiders was horribly overrated.

I'm curious to know how much of the decision by Ubi to pick up THQ Montreal was to fuck with Patrice's head. A 3 million dollar joke isn't totally out of the realm of possibility in this clusterfuck, right?

I might be confusing developers but wasn't Désilets working on some form of 'competition' for Assassin's Creed at THQ Montreal? Chances are they just bought it to block another publisher from getting it.

[quote name='Neuro5i5']Regarding Vigil/Darksiders, there's this blurb posted on GameSpot:[/QUOTE]

Kyle Orland over at Ars says in his piece:

"Darksiders developer Vigil Games received no bids and unfortunately will be shut down."

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'm curious to know how much of the decision by Ubi to pick up THQ Montreal was to fuck with Patrice's head. A 3 million dollar joke isn't totally out of the realm of possibility in this clusterfuck, right?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that maybe the fact that Ubisoft has a 2,100 employee operation in Montreal, so IP + talent might have been a good deal/mesh.

Shoite, I didn't realize Capcom announced Resident Evil: Revelations for the PC as well as the PS3/360/Wii U.

I'm hoping for a Steam entry, though I'm sure I don't need to hope that much. (The only surprise ending I can think of is Capcom pulling a Square-Enix. Thankfully, that scenario's unlikely.)

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Shoite, I didn't realize Capcom announced Resident Evil: Revelations for the PC as well as the PS3/360/Wii U.

I'm hoping for a Steam entry, though I'm sure I don't need to hope that much. (The only surprise ending I can think of is Capcom pulling a Square-Enix. Thankfully, that scenario's unlikely.)[/QUOTE]
For serious? That's awesome. The game looks amazing, but I would never buy a 3DS just for that.

I was going to buy a 3DS just for Megaman Legends 3, but...

[quote name='asheskitty']Regarding the $11.24 D&D Ultimate Pack on GameStop...

I suspect:
D&D Anthology Master Collection is DRM-FREE (as it is on GG, owned, verified).
D&D NWN Complete:
* NWN Diamond is DRM-FREE (as it is on GOG, though GG.uk lists DRM:Other)
* NWN 2 Platinum is SecuROM (as it is on GG.uk)

NWN 2 Platinum was on steam Nov 2010 - June? 2012. Atari lost distribution rights for it then and Hasbro has taken over distribution. NWN 2 digital distribution seems quite limited atm. NWN 2 is reportedly much patched since it's buggy release.

Why am I tempted to buy this just for NWN 2 Platinum? (own the rest) :wall:[/QUOTE]

How's buying from Gamestop? The games are ALWAYS there to be downloaded or only a limited time? Sure those are the same GOG versions?

The GoG versions of those games barring the Neverwinter titles are the only versions that have ever been sold digitally, so yes, they're the GOG versions.

[quote name='juanjava']How's buying from Gamestop? The games are ALWAYS there to be downloaded or only a limited time? Sure those are the same GOG versions?[/QUOTE]

I have limited experience. I've only picked up a couple steam keys from them. The only store that was known for time-limited downloads was Uplay, but they reformed that in late spring 2012.

From GameStop PC Download FAQ

Games purchased through GameStop are tied to your GameStop PC account and can be re-downloaded at any time*.

Also from Impulse/about

Re-download your games again and again

* Specific games may have additional requirements

I bought the pack. The only games that explicitly say DRM-Free are Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II. None of the other games actually say what protection they have but I will try and figure out as much as I can, download speeds and harddrive space permitting.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I bought the pack. The only games that explicitly say DRM-Free are Baldur's Gate I & II, and Icewind Dale I & II. None of the other games actually say what protection they have but I will try and figure out as much as I can, download speeds and harddrive space permitting.[/QUOTE]

Looking a bit more I've found further evidence from the physical versions that:
NWN used to have SecuROM but it was removed in a later patch.
NWN 2 has/had (removed?) SecuROM but there is no activation limit (at least under Atari).

refs:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/06/17/neverwinter-nights-2-loses-drm
http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/gamedb.php?letter=N
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/188666-neverwinter-nights/49988870
http://www.gamersgate.com/gametutor?issue=193181
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/newsbit?newsbit=12337

Ossian Studios is pleased to announce that there is no longer a 3-activation limit on NWN2: Mysteries of Westgate. The activation limit has been removed by Atari after Ossian highlighted to them how many fans were not happy with it. You can now install MoW as many times as you like on your computer. Here are some quick facts about this change:
Q: Do I still need to activate MoW to play?
A: Yes. The DRM activation limit has been removed but you still need to activate MoW online for each new installation on your computer. After the one-time activation for each installation, you don’t need an Internet connection to play. Activation is necessary to prevent serial numbers from being posted to the web where hundreds or thousands of people can access it.
Q: So, I don’t have to worry about changing my hardware and not being able to re-activate MoW?
A: No. You can change the hardware configuration or operating system on your computer as often as you like and can re-activate MoW as many times as you like.
Q: Is it okay if I install the game on more than one of my computers?
A: Yes, that’s fine.
Q: Are the MoW resources still encrypted?
A: Yes, the MoW resource files are still encrypted. However, we have provided most of this content for free from the Mysteries of Westgate page on the NWVault:

[quote name='poxi']http://store.steampowered.com/app/18523/
Defense Grid: Containment DLC has been released.[/QUOTE]

Added to wishlist.

Is this the result of the kickstarter drive that they ran a while back? I remember that they ultimately wanted to do a sequel, but they fell short of that goal and had to settle on an expansion instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back