The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HisDivineShadow']There's an option for you to be emailed about deals that affect your wish list.[/QUOTE]
Which doesn't work properly.

[quote name='vantheman']This thread gets off topic so easily lol[/QUOTE]
We do not, ooohhhhhh shiny.... What were you saying
:bouncy:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Y'know what are great? Otter Pops.[/QUOTE]
mmmmm Otter Pops

[quote name='cranky2']To each his own and whatnot. In my three minutes of gameplay I was spawn killed ten times by dudes bunny hoping with lances or poleaxes or something. Mount & Blade with slightly better graphics, less options, and a worse presentation.[/QUOTE]

I don't think 3 minutes is enough to give it a fair shake, and there's only one game mode (free-for-all) where you can be spawn killed. In all the others, which are team-based, you either spawn behind a barrier or on the far side of the map.

I wish I could compare it to MBW, but that whole franchise is sitting in my backlog.

[quote name='Eldredpe']
Any good celebrity read audio books of Paradise Lost out there? Ian McKellen or Jeremy Irons or something?
.[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of, but I do have Ian Mckellan reading the Iliad which is pretty cool.

[quote name='asheskitty']Gamestop/Impulse has three Dungeons and Dragons packs on sale (two got added today) Yes you'll need both the GameStop App and
the Mark of the Beast.

Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection - $4.99 - (DRM-FREE) This is the same one that some CAGs missed at $5 on a GG Glitch Night (and was $7 on GG last Feb). These are the GOG'd versions of the classics, since they are the only versions that have been on digital download. N3UROP0D confims DRM-FREE status of the GS pack here.

• Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic: 91%] "...reigns supreme over every RPG currently available, and sets new standards for those to come" - PC Gamer
  • Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions [Average Metacritic 85%] "Once in a while, a game comes along that completely takes over your life. " - IGN
  • Planescape: Torment [Metacritic 91%] "Is it possible for a computer game to have the intellectual heft and emotional impact of a good book while remaining as captivating as a well-paced film? If so, the first candidate may well be Planescape: Torment. . " - New York Times
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil [Metacritic 71%] "A rock-solid RPG that faithfully re-creates a classic adventure." - Gamespy
[/QUOTE]

^^This l'll buy tonight. Already have Planescape and BG2 on GOG, but $5 for ToEE, BG1 and ID 1 & 2 is a steal. The only downside I see is there surely won't be any future GOG updates and extras... But I can live without it

I still have no interest in playing NWN... Don't know why. Never played it. Will be getting it some time in the future

[quote name='asheskitty']Gamestop/Impulse has three Dungeons and Dragons packs on sale (two got added today).....snip.....[/QUOTE]

I am reading mixed reviews on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Would you recommend buying the available D&D packs containing the BG games over BGEE (disregarding the cost)?

[quote name='louiedog']Today's deal is I Am Alive at 66% off ($5.09)

Lowest Price: $5.09 USD at GameStop (1 month ago)[/QUOTE]

Be still my heart.

[quote name='Stonekeep']Do I need their client for the Dungeons & Dragons Anthology pack?[/QUOTE]

"Yes you'll need both the GameStop App and..." as stated at the top of my post.

[quote name='Palinn']I am reading mixed reviews on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Would you recommend buying the available D&D packs containing the BG games over BGEE (disregarding the cost)?[/QUOTE]

Well, BGEE is just a graphical update of BG1+Tales of the Sword Coast. The pack contains much more. I haven't looked much further into BGEE and I won't until it hits $5.

Ars has probably one of the fairer reviews of BGEE.

[quote name='spoderman']Meh, I'm still waiting for it to hit 75% off.[/QUOTE]

After all the bad things I read (well, not "bad things", but "meh" things) I'll wait for a price drop and a 75%...

[quote name='asheskitty']Anyone else amused that Square Enix Weekend on Steam is still stuck on Thursday?[/QUOTE]

No since it didn't appear until about 7 EST last night.

[quote name='asheskitty']Anyone else amused that Square Enix Weekend on Steam is still stuck on Thursday?[/QUOTE]

They're doing the opposite of the GMG "Friday" sale....:roll:

[quote name='TheLongshot']It is a little more than just a graphical update. It also does include new characters, voice work, and areas, tho I don't know if it amounts to much.[/QUOTE]

I guess at the price I'm just meh on it. I think as an iPad game it's an enticing entry. (but I don't have one of those)

[quote name='TheLongshot']It is a little more than just a graphical update. It also does include new characters, voice work, and areas, tho I don't know if it amounts to much.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's actually a fair bit more than just a graphical update. I wouldn't necessarily pay $20 for it because I played all of these games back in the day, but I'd buy it on sale for the new content and play it before I bought old unoptimized versions of these games.

[quote name='asheskitty']I guess at the price I'm just meh on it. I think as an iPad game it's an enticing entry. (but I don't have one of those)[/QUOTE]

It's not really an iPad game either. The iPad version has a different interface and all of the add-on content is paid in the mobile versions, which is why it's much cheaper than the PC version.

[quote name='asheskitty']I guess at the price I'm just meh on it. I think as an iPad game it's an enticing entry. (but I don't have one of those)[/QUOTE]

I'm so tempted to grab it for the iPad. Feedback seems to indicate they're still fixing bugs, will probably buy when it's less frustrating to control

So in addition to Steam not continuing on with the Square sale from Thursday to Friday. Their facebook page is posting updates about the winter sale. It's currently Day 15 and 14 again. so...holiday sale anyone?

and Ace Combat is now on steam. It was fun enough when I played it on 360.

[quote name='AgentW']So in addition to Steam not continuing on with the Square sale from Thursday to Friday. Their facebook page is posting updates about the winter sale. It's currently Day 15 and 14 again. so...holiday sale anyone?

and Ace Combat is now on steam. It was fun enough when I played it on 360.[/QUOTE]

LOL wasn't sure if you were serious.. but I checked Steam's facebook page and it's true. Whatever GMG is smoking, Valve seems to be smoking as well.

[quote name='AgentW']So in addition to Steam not continuing on with the Square sale from Thursday to Friday. Their facebook page is posting updates about the winter sale. It's currently Day 15 and 14 again. so...holiday sale anyone?[/QUOTE]

QQ Why didn't anyone post that the Steam Winter Sale started. ;)

Is there any chance that it will be cheaper or should I buy now? Will there be a recap day? Does it activate on Origin?

[quote name='dfg']Is there any chance that it will be cheaper or should I buy now? Will there be a recap day? Does it activate on Origin?[/QUOTE]
Yes, no, banana, West Virgina, simulated, objection overruled, Popeye the Sailor Maaaaan, the M62 junction 33, left.

Clear? Good.

[quote name='Palinn']I am reading mixed reviews on Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Would you recommend buying the available D&D packs containing the BG games over BGEE (disregarding the cost)?[/QUOTE]

When you factor in the cost/game ratio and the modding you can do, it seems like a no-brainer (unless you really, really want BG on Steam)

At the price BGEE is selling for for desktop users, its a ripoff. The UI has been updated for touch screen users, existing mods added, one small adventure (which by all accounts is pretty naff) accessible from menu,several new charachters. No. Not really. Get the original.

[quote name='smurfinaus']At the price BGEE is selling for for desktop users, its a ripoff. The UI has been updated for touch screen users, existing mods added, one small adventure (which by all accounts is pretty naff) accessible from menu,several new charachters. No. Not really. Get the original.[/QUOTE]

I'd be all for using the Enhanced Edition, but the UI is pretty darn ugly.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Is that the norm? or the exception? thats my question.[/QUOTE]

When I had Comcast the speeds were always fantastic.

It was the reliability of the connection I had issues with.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Is that the norm? or the exception? thats my question.[/QUOTE]

When I had Comcast I could always max out my bandwidth downloading from Steam.

Just bought the D&D Master Collection... I must say the Gamestop client is OK... I like it. Is a bit clunky and "old"... but is ok. It seems to keep your games updated and all the stuff.

[quote name='juanjava']Just bought the D&D Master Collection... I must say the Gamestop client is OK... I like it. Is a bit clunky and "old"... but is ok. It seems to keep your games updated and all the stuff.[/QUOTE]

All the stuff, huh?

I'm sold.

(But really I think I might have to buy this.)

[quote name='juanjava']Just bought the D&D Master Collection... I must say the Gamestop client is OK... I like it. Is a bit clunky and "old"... but is ok. It seems to keep your games updated and all the stuff.[/QUOTE]

If I recall, doing a back-up w/ GameStop PC App is a pain.

I don't know if this has changed recently, though - but for Impulse games, you had to make different archive-file back-ups for EACH OS.
Maybe someone can speak on this on if this has changed?

I had a back-up archive-file of both DOW: Dark Crusade & Divine Divinity that wouldn't install onto this Win 7 PC b/c archived back-ups through their program are actually OS-specific and was archived on Win XP.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's what I thought...
Of course, this post was 2010. Anyone know if this has changed or not?

[quote name='MysterD']If I recall, doing a back-up w/ GameStop PC App is a pain.

I don't know if this has changed recently, though - but for Impulse games, you had to make different archive-file back-ups for EACH OS.
Maybe someone can speak on this on if this has changed?

I had a back-up archive-file of both DOW: Dark Crusade & Divine Divinity that wouldn't install onto this Win 7 PC b/c archived back-ups through their program are actually OS-specific and was archived on Win XP.

EDIT:
Yeah, that's what I thought...
Of course, this post was 2010. Anyone know if this has changed or not?[/QUOTE]

I'll leave downloading and check that...

[quote name='Eldredpe']I'll defend Invisible War.

It is a game that was perfectly fine when it was released but had to live in the original's shadow. It does not hold up today, but the vitriol aimed at it is unreasonable.[/QUOTE]

Can't agree. Saying it was perfectly fine for when it was released at least partially implies it is... let's say... half as good as the original. It isn't. Yes, they had constraints because of the the Xbox platform but at that point the game stops being a Deus Ex game. The levels were absurdly small such that skill specialization was meaningless. Speaking of which... the choice of augs was pretty bland to begin with and although they try to make some form of trade off between black market and federal it isn't particularly interesting. Neither are the side quests which solely exist for giving you money which isn't really scarce. To be salvageable it would need to have some redeeming features to make up for the level design. I can't think of any.

It's just a bad game with poor design. It was then and it is now.

As an aside, if anyone wants to try the game that would have been 'Deus Ex 3' (was going to be multiplayer centric but it got cancelled/reworked under a different name because of the poor reception to IW): http://store.steampowered.com/app/7010/

[quote name='Eldredpe']When I had Comcast the speeds were always fantastic.

It was the reliability of the connection I had issues with.[/QUOTE]

And the bandwidth caps.. which will be even worse once they're done with "testing" their new plans.

Just noticed xcom officially added some of the second wave options that were cut.

Damage roulette: wider range of weapon dmg
New economy: council offers random funding
Not created equally: randomized rookie stats
Hidden potential: promoted soldier stats increase randomly

[quote name='spoderman']And the bandwidth caps.. which will be even worse once they're done with "testing" their new plans.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, they've been testing since 2010 I think. I haven't gone over the 250 GB cap in a while, but I don't download everything I buy immediately, and I don't stream any HD media (but I should).

[quote name='jatan11t']Does anyone know what Tomb Raider Survival Edition includes?[/QUOTE]

It says so on the Steam Page for Tomb Raider (Reboot) what's in the Survival Ed:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

Survival Edition includes:
Digital 32-page mini art book compiled by TOMB RAIDER’S Art Director Brian Horton
Digital copy of Tomb Raider’s atmospheric soundtrack
Digital double-sided map of the Tomb Raider’s mysterious island setting
DLC Pack

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Attention rabid Steam key hoarders and glitch hunters!!!

Those that slayed the beast that was the Gamersgate website for the epic Bethesda pack.

GO CLAIM YOUR WAR SPOILS!!! CLAM YOUR KEYS NOW!!!!! (unless you got the email that said you got a refund).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the alert! I've been checking once a day and was really starting to doubt we'd see them in January at all.

[quote name='dfg']To be fair, they've been testing since 2010 I think. I haven't gone over the 250 GB cap in a while, but I don't download everything I buy immediately, and I don't stream any HD media (but I should).[/QUOTE]

This particular testing was announced around May, I think, and they were supposedly going to start the actual testing in the summer of 2012. One of the new plans is a 300gb cap (instead of the previous 250gb cap), and you pay $10 for every 50gb after exceeding it. I don't think any plans were confirmed yet though, so I'm not sure if they'll go through with any of it.

I go over 250gb pretty often, so it's an issue for me.. but they've never done anything about it in the past, so I guess I've been lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back