The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else notice that Everyday Genius: Square Logic is no longer available on Steam? That makes me sad, though at least it can be redownloaded if you own it.

[quote name='kataztrophik']What was the lowest Giana Sisters has been? I'm looking forward to a deal on that[/QUOTE]

I don't think there has been a deal on Steam, since it just came out.

GOG has it in a bundle with other games, so you might want to take a look at that. $8.99 by itself.

http://www.gog.com/promo/jumpin__indie_action_bundle

[quote name='eastx']Did anyone else notice that Everyday Genius: Square Logic is no longer available on Steam? That makes me sad, though at least it can be redownloaded if you own it.[/QUOTE]

I think that's been pointed out previously. Unfortunate, since it is a good game.

[quote name='kataztrophik']What was the lowest Giana Sisters has been? I'm looking forward to a deal on that[/QUOTE]

Just on Steam, or anywhere? GOG currently has it in an indie bundle for 75% off, but you have to buy the entire bundle to get it for that price. I think that's technically the "cheapest".

[quote name='eastx']Did anyone else notice that Everyday Genius: Square Logic is no longer available on Steam? That makes me sad, though at least it can be redownloaded if you own it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I believe that was noticed somewhere around the summer sale. It's a shame, great game - I've probably gotten more time out of that game than any other single game I own. And I'm not even finished with the first area yet.

The rights reverted from Mumbo Jumbo to the developers of the game. They tried to get it back on but being as they aren't a name that Valve is familiar with they're pretty much getting ignored.

While really stupid that they would have to do this, they could always try Greenlight. Valve is making DTP do that with Drakensang: The River of Time even though the game is already on Steam in the US region.

Personally, I think there should be a rule that if a game has been on Steam previously or is currently on Steam in another region that they should automatically let that developer/publisher put their game on Steam if they want.

It's not like they can claim it's 'not Steam material'.

[quote name='Motoki']The rights reverted from Mumbo Jumbo to the developers of the game. They tried to get it back on but being as they aren't a name that Valve is familiar with they're pretty much getting ignored.

While really stupid that they would have to do this, they could always try Greenlight. Valve is making DTP do that with Drakensang: The River of Time even though the game is already on Steam in the US region.

Personally, I think there should be a rule that if a game has been on Steam previously or is currently on Steam in another region that they should automatically let that developer/publisher put their game on Steam if they want.

It's not like they can claim it's 'not Steam material'.[/QUOTE]

That's about the most stuck up thing I've ever heard a video game company say... *ducks*

Nah, but really that's really, really lame of Steam to do that. It should be the dev's decision to do that, not Valve's, if it was already on Steam...

Perhaps there are other factors in steam's decision besides whether or not a game is "Steam Material". Because it doesn't make a lot of sense that they would deny a game that had previously been on steam.

I mean, how was the guy who's now doing Winter Voices able to get the games back on steam?

[quote name='sunghost']Just on Steam, or anywhere? GOG currently has it in an indie bundle for 75% off, but you have to buy the entire bundle to get it for that price. I think that's technically the "cheapest".[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TheLongshot']I don't think there has been a deal on Steam, since it just came out.

GOG has it in a bundle with other games, so you might want to take a look at that. $8.99 by itself.

http://www.gog.com/promo/jumpin__indie_action_bundle[/quote]

In that bundle, I'm only really interested in Giana Sisters and Snapshot. I also prefer to have my games on Steam if possible, but if the price is low enough, I certainly don't mind a DRM-free copy. I think I'll wait, that bundle isn't quite cheap enough to purchase just for those 2 games alone. Thanks though

Well now that all the hoopla is done with Sonic Generations and Facebook, on with the anticipation of the Steam Winter Sale! Which if this forum is correct, starts tomorrow!! :pray:

[quote name='MidnightRythms']Well now that all the hoopla is done with Sonic Generations and Facebook, on with the anticipation of the Steam Winter Sale! Which if this forum is correct, starts tomorrow!! :pray:[/QUOTE]
If it's anything like last year, you won't be able to rely on Steam for ANYTHING for the best part of 24 hours. The whole thing was borked.

That said, last year had a whole lot of achievement-hunting. I'm not sure we'll get that this year. Which makes me a sad panda :(

[quote name='Flowette']That said, last year had a whole lot of achievement-hunting. I'm not sure we'll get that this year. Which makes me a sad panda :([/QUOTE]

Yeah doesn't look like it, since there haven't been any massive updates coming through.

I think it's likely there'll be something badge-related, beyond the token one for participating.

[quote name='dfg']Yeah doesn't look like it, since there haven't been any massive updates coming through.

I think it's likely there'll be something badge-related, beyond the token one for participating.[/QUOTE]

Oh gee, badges... They're so worthwhile... Thanks Steam...

Now I can brag about how I posted a YouTube video that I CAN'T REMOVE FROM MY ACCOUNT to all of my friends or how long I've had a Steam account...

Nothing would make me happier this holiday season.

I've got offered Dark Souls for ~$8.53. And I'm on the fence with the decision to buy it or not. On the one side, it's the most desired game by me. On the other side I doubt I will play it, because of my studies (and Dota 2 event), it costs more than $7.5 and I already have 8x $5 credit on Amazon.
Do you think I will be able to get it cheaper until the 28th of February with $5 credit from Amazon?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Severose']Oh gee, badges... They're so worthwhile... Thanks Steam...

Now I can brag about how I posted a YouTube video that I CAN'T REMOVE FROM MY ACCOUNT to all of my friends or how long I've had a Steam account...

Nothing would make me happier this holiday season.[/QUOTE]

You should get a badge for having the best profile name on Steam ;)

[quote name='dfg']^ Eh, I made a separate YouTube account specifically for Steam.[/QUOTE]

I used my only YouTube account, but that was the only video that I had ever uploaded. Kinda lame that it's still there; it's like a splinter in my finger that's just below the surface for me to be able to pull it out. Oh well, nerds will be nerds...

[quote name='sunghost']You should get a badge for having the best profile name on Steam ;)[/QUOTE]

flugunets for life

pqM6h.png

I imagine there are all sorts of criteria for being a Steam available game - support by the "publisher" for users, forum activity, patching, etc etc etc. If the publisher was handling that aspect of things and the developer hasn't agreed to something, maybe that's the reason. Just guessing, though.

Some of those GoG bundles are pretty nice and have me seriously considering expanding my library over there. It would be kind of weird, though, to see Snapshot next to Ultima IV.

[quote name='INCyr']Anyone tried it out with a regular 360 wired controller? That's what I've got, and was thinking about picking up Jade Empire, but would really rather play it with a controller than mouse/keyboard. "Partial Controller Support" doesn't... inspire confidence.[/QUOTE]

If it works with a F510 in Xinput mode or a DS3 w/MotionInJoy, I'll worked just fine a genuine 360 controller.

$9 and the daily package on GoG is too steep for my tastes. The Demo was awesome but I'm holding out for $3.75 (75% off), there's a small chance I'd bite at 66% ($5).

[quote name='asheskitty']
$9 and the daily package on GoG is too steep for my tastes. The Demo was awesome but I'm holding out for $3.75 (75% off), there's a small chance I'd bite at 66% ($5).[/QUOTE]

If you can find someone that has all of the games form the Jumpin' Indie pack, they can gift you Giana Sisters for $3.74. Finding someone with all of the games from the bundle might be difficult though.

[quote name='sunghost']If you can find someone that has all of the games form the Jumpin' Indie pack, they can gift you Giana Sisters for $3.74. Finding someone with all of the games from the bundle might be difficult though.[/QUOTE]

It's not even a matter of having the other games. One would have to have the other games on GoG. I'm patient. I saw the future. Its price will drop.

[quote name='asheskitty']It's not even a matter of having the other games. One would have to have the other games on GoG.[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant lol.

[quote name='sunghost']That's what I meant lol.[/QUOTE]

I know. It's just that I've been bitten by that teensy little bit. I own it, just not on GoG, and no I want to pay for a copy on GoG too.

Hmm, there is a distinct lack of new Humble Bundle. Either those guys have changed the time of day that the bundle launches, or they're gonna launch HiB7 during the Steam Sale. That takes balls, but if any bundle can do it, Humble can.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']La Mulana is confirmed as a bonus for the new Build a Greenlight bundle. It only needs like 200 more sales to unlock. No Steam but then again you get Desura keys.

http://groupees.com/bagb[/QUOTE]

The developer said it was fairly high up on the list like ~high 20s/30ish in rank so it very likely will get Greenlighted within the next few months or so and they will give a Steam key if it does.

Groupees is also given the soundtrack and 99% of the time I am meh on game music but this game has some really awesome music along the lines of some of Falcom's stuff.

[quote name='The End']Hmm, there is a distinct lack of new Humble Bundle. Either those guys have changed the time of day that the bundle launches, or they're gonna launch HiB7 during the Steam Sale. That takes balls, but if any bundle can do it, Humble can.[/QUOTE]

They did it last year with HiB4, which is when everyone began abusing the system to get a few coal-earning games for pennies (Bit.Trip Runner, Super Meat Boy and Jamestown, I think). Then they added the $1 minimum.

[quote name='The End']Hmm, there is a distinct lack of new Humble Bundle. Either those guys have changed the time of day that the bundle launches, or they're gonna launch HiB7 during the Steam Sale. That takes balls, but if any bundle can do it, Humble can.[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they truly rickrolled us all this time as the Humble THQ Bundle trailer hinted... :)

I wonder if the software will go on sale too, haha. But seriously, though, ArtRage looks like it'd be kind of fun to play with. Been a while since I tinkered with graphic/art programs ... haven't picked up any since I graduated from school a few years ago.

Twas 40% during the Autumn sale.

A little late to the topic, but I would love for Steam to bring back the achievement hunting aspect. It pushed a lot of games towards the front of my backlog and gave me reason to play them right away. On the downside, it made me buy games that I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise just so I could get the achievement.

It was 40% off on Steam during fall sale. I'm hoping for 66% this winter, but highly doubt it.

[quote name='KaOTiK']You shut your whore mouth! I've been wanting that :p[/QUOTE]

This. Steam just sent me an email letting me know that all my hopes and dreams are about to be fulfilled. That, or a game on my wishlist is on sale. Either way it's the same thing, right?

[quote name='Motoki']The developer said it was fairly high up on the list like ~high 20s/30ish in rank so it very likely will get Greenlighted within the next few months or so and they will give a Steam key if it does.

Groupees is also given the soundtrack and 99% of the time I am meh on game music but this game has some really awesome music along the lines of some of Falcom's stuff.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that being the bonus game in a bundle supposedly isn't all that profitable. You only end up getting a fraction of the sales with the biggest piece of the pie going to the main games. However, if you're the bonus game in a build-a-bundle which is designed to get people to vote your game on Greenlight, being the bonus game is probably the most desirable position to be in. That's because everybody is gonna end up with a copy of your game (even if they only bought 2 games). So you have a wider group of potential votes.

So if the game really is that high in the voting, there is a pretty good chance that this bundle will put it over the top. Of the games in the bundle, you'd have to say that it certainly seems like the most likely to get greenlit.

[quote name='Blade']They did it last year with HiB4, which is when everyone began abusing the system to get a few coal-earning games for pennies (Bit.Trip Runner, Super Meat Boy and Jamestown, I think). Then they added the $1 minimum.[/QUOTE]

HiB4 launched almost a week before the steam Holiday sale last year.

This was probably discussed in the old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for games from the Greenlight bundle that are good?

[quote name='plft']WarZ already pulled from steam.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/the-war-z-no-longer-available-on-steam/[/QUOTE]

I only became aware of the problems with the game yesterday when I read about it here in this thread. Even though the controversy was largely new to me, it was obvious that the game would soon get yanked from the store. I briefly toyed with the idea of buying a copy last night to have in my inventory as a collector's item.

Then I came to my senses.

[quote name='Eldredpe']This was probably discussed in the old thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for games from the Greenlight bundle that are good?[/QUOTE]

Oozi was mentioned being in the top ten best seller list on Desura. I'm eyeing Oozi, Wooden Sen'Sey, and maybe Recruits (I loved Cannon Fodder) & Eryi. But that probably reflects what I believe I may actually play.

[quote name='The End']I only became aware of the problems with the game yesterday when I read about it here in this thread. Even though the controversy was largely new to me, it was obvious that the game would soon get yanked from the store. I briefly toyed with the idea of buying a copy last night to have in my inventory as a collector's item.

Then I came to my senses.[/QUOTE]

This reminds me, maybe we should add to the OP. Don't drink and Steam Sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back