The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sunghost']Since when? I've never seen TL2 cheaper[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure Gamefly had it for a little less.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Good sir, I was not aware. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Be sure to select the correct one as there is a mixed DRM version on Amazon as well. This is the Steam only version. They also have Bioshock 1/2 budled with Spec Ops and Duke Nukem in their own separate bundles.

[quote name='jshackles']Exactly - this community choice thing is retarded and only goes to expose the "heard" mentality. If Bioshock 1 goes 75% off, it'll be $4.99 - the same price you can pay right now on Amazon to have both Bioshock 1 and 2 as Steam redeemable codes.[/QUOTE]

I'll argue that it's more about putting possibilities in your head. I wasn't actively searching for Bioshock to be on sale, I already own it. It wasn't until Steam listed it as one of three options that I said, "Well, I can't use Vice City or Half-Life 2, but maybe Bioshock would be good for my girlfriend to play..."

[quote name='hal']Pretty sure Gamefly had it for a little less.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has been. Either way, Gamefly hasn't beaten the 4 pack price.. because there is no 4 pack on Gamefly.

If you join a group buy it'll end up being $7.50, which is better than any price Gamefly has ever had.

[quote name='groz24']What are people's opinions on the Introversion Bundle and Dungeons of Dredmor? I started buying PC games earlier this year and wasn't around for the Humble Introversion Bundle, and figure these games won't get bundled again.[/QUOTE]
I liked Uplink and Defcon despite not being very good at either. Keep in mind, however, that they've been in a HiB a while back so you may be able to find a cheap key.

[quote name='Das_Regal']There's no way that Torchlight II will be 75% off. It's currently 25% off, and they never go from 25% to 75% on sales, usually flash/deal of the day stuff is double the base percent off only. I doubt you can even hope for a 66% off.[/QUOTE]
I was expecting 50% off, but - like I said - unless the discount is 75% or more off I won't be buying it.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'll argue that it's more about putting possibilities in your head. I wasn't actively searching for Bioshock to be on sale, I already own it. It wasn't until Steam listed it as one of three options that I said, "Well, I can't use Vice City or Half-Life 2, but maybe Bioshock would be good for my girlfriend to play..."[/QUOTE]

Yep. When I saw hl2 up for voting, I thought...ooh! If that wins, I can get that to add to the pile of games I wanna give to my sister when she gets a gaming PC (which, hopefully, is soon).

[quote name='Flowette']How much is Devil May Cry 4 on the GMG US store? It's showing as £1.69 for me, or £1.18 with the coupon. That's ridiculous. I don't even want it and I'm buying it.[/QUOTE]
$6.79, which comes out to 4.76 after voucher. GMG sure has been generous to their home country as of late.

What is the best any one has seen Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for? I'm hoping to get it for < $10 to play it coop with a buddy and was wondering if the current 50% off $15 is as low as it is likely to go?

[quote name='Bulkoth']What is the best any one has seen Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for? I'm hoping to get it for < $10 to play it coop with a buddy and was wondering if the current 50% off $15 is as low as it is likely to go?[/QUOTE]
The #1 rule of Steam sales: If it's not a daily/flash/community deal - wait 'till the last day to buy it.

[quote name='Bulkoth']What is the best any one has seen Dead Rising 2: Off the Record for? I'm hoping to get it for < $10 to play it coop with a buddy and was wondering if the current 50% off $15 is as low as it is likely to go?[/QUOTE]
I got it for $10 during the summer sale.

GMG's currently got it for 50% off, and then you can use the 30% off voucher on top of that.

[quote name='Shagrath']GMG's currently got it for 50% off, and then you can use the 30% off voucher on top of that.[/QUOTE]Which would be $14.

Honestly, you'd be better off buying Dead Rising 2 (NOT OTR) if you're not going to play a ton of DR2, and if you're going to play a ton, buy the complete pack which includes both + DLC.

Make a decision about how committed you are, and go with it. DR2 is canonical though, so if you're only going to experience one...

[quote name='Shagrath']GMG's currently got it for 50% off, and then you can use the 30% off voucher on top of that.[/QUOTE]

Except GMG's base price is higher, so it's $14.99 on Steam right now, and $13.99 at GMG with coupon. Granted, $1 is $1, but it's possible that it'll be 75% off at some point in the sale, making it $7.49 on Steam.

Capcom never sells one of their big AAA titles for less than $10 typically. I doubt DR2 will ever go that low. The complete pack is most likely the best deal you'll ever get.

I'd just wait and see if the Dead Rising pack will be a daily or something for 75% off. You can't beat $10 for the whole collection.. I know it's Capcom (making it unlikely), but I'd rather wait regardless for the chance of a crazy deal.

[quote name='Detruire']If Capcom doesn't want to drop the complete pack to $10, I'll just have to skip it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Sometimes, I think Capcom just doesn't want to succeed.

Risen 2: Dark Waters is 8.42$ today, I bought it and it activates in steam without a hitch.

https://www.nuuvem.com.br/produtos?q=risen

I buy stuff via paypal now and again, and just about all the purchases have activated in steam. I use google translate to navigate the page. 1 word of warning, it converts the Brazilian Real symbol to $ which makes the item look more expensive than it actually is. Paypal shows the correct conversion.

It's close to a 2-1 conversion rate.

I loved Dishonored, but...

at the same time I found it weird that the game was most fun when you could mix stealth and action, and yet the game's ending felt like it punished anyone who didn't use a pure-stealth run with a "bad" ending. I liked the gameplay mechanics of chaos and everything, but the endings did not really allow for many shades of gray.

[quote name='stoned99']Risen 2: Dark Waters is 8.42$ today, I bought it and it activates in steam without a hitch.

https://www.nuuvem.com.br/produtos?q=risen

I buy stuff via paypal now and again, and just about all the purchases have activated in steam. I use google translate to navigate the page. 1 word of warning, it converts the Brazilian Real symbol to $ which makes the item look more expensive than it actually is. Paypal shows the correct conversion.

It's close to a 2-1 conversion rate.[/QUOTE]

It was cheaper on GMG recently if you stacked the 35% voucher, I think. Personally I wouldn't buy from nuuvem.. they're not international, you're supposed to only buy from there if you live in Brazil.

[quote name='Das_Regal']Capcom never sells one of their big AAA titles for less than $10 typically. I doubt DR2 will ever go that low. The complete pack is most likely the best deal you'll ever get.[/QUOTE]
Dragon's Dogma has been out since June and it only finally reached the $30 price. Capcom are fucks when it comes to pricing.

Why is everyone talking as if the daily deals finish in an hour? Mine says 24+ hours until next daily deal, is it region specific?

[quote name='Curtsey']Why is everyone talking as if the daily deals finish in an hour? Mine says 24+ hours until next daily deal, is it region specific?[/QUOTE]

Wondering this as well. Hopefully it's just an error...

[quote name='Curtsey']Why is everyone talking as if the daily deals finish in an hour? Mine says 24+ hours until next daily deal, is it region specific?[/QUOTE]

Same. I hadn't seen any daily deals. Flash deals and 48 hour deals labeled as "Today's Deal" but with a 48 hr countdown.

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']Wondering this as well. Hopefully it's just an error...[/QUOTE]

If it were an error...I would have thought it'd be fixed by now :(

The way it worked last sale was that every 24 hours a new set of daily deals happens. But the previous set will run over for an extra 24 hours as well. I believe Valve does this to give everyone a longer chance to grab a deal.

There's a new set of dailies every day -- the old ones just last an additional day. Worked like this during the Summer Sale. I am disappoint in people's lack of Steam sale knowledge!

[quote name='Mooby']There's a new set of dailies every day -- the old ones just last an additional day. Worked like this during the Summer Sale. I am disappoint in people's lack of Steam sale knowledge![/QUOTE]

Damn noobs:cool:

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I Am Alive violates my 75% Off rule, but its so close and pretty cheap already. Anybody pick this up already? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
I'm tempted as well, but due to a lot of the poor things I've heard about it. I am tempted to hold off more.

Picked up the THQ pack even though I already had 5 games on the list (that I didn't get doubles of) - too good of a deal to pass up with Darksiders & all the Warhammer games. Been thinking about getting Hitman Absolution (from the Amazon sale), but I'm starting to wonder if they're going to change the discounts (33% or 50%) of publisher packs every few days. If that's the case, I'd love to pick up the Square Enix/Eidos pack as I don't have most of the games. Should I risk waiting or pick up Hitman Absolution anyways?

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']I Am Alive violates my 75% Off rule, but its so close and pretty cheap already. Anybody pick this up already? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I played it on PS3. Didn't like it. Very, very short and the ending is terrible. Combat is okay but the dust mechanic is more annoying than awesome. I say skip it and spend the money on something better.

[quote name='Mooby']I've heard it's short. And when today's gamers say something is short...[/QUOTE]

Whew, thought you were going somewhere else with that comment... :joystick:

[quote name='Captain Urahara']I played it on PS3. Didn't like it. Very, very short and the ending is terrible. Combat is okay but the dust mechanic is more annoying than awesome. I say skip it and spend the money on something better.[/QUOTE]

Very, very short?!? Oh man that probably means it's like 45 minutes.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Damnit. Now I have to get that Mission Runway game.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Heavenlywind']I just did...[/QUOTE]
Uh oh... is Mission Runway going to be the joint CAG Steam thread bonding experience of Winter Sale 2012?

[quote name='dfg']Orcs Must Die! is a great series. Was a mistake playing it right after Borderlands, though—weren't there any other damned voice actors?![/QUOTE]

[quote name='hal']Orcs Must Die Franchise for 75% off seems to be one of the better deals so far.[/QUOTE]

How is the game play of Orcs 2 compared to the first one? More of the same? New and improved? The Orcs 2 Complete Pack is also 75% off at $6.24 which I am thinking about getting since I already have the first pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back