The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Mooby']Get it from Amazon, you'll get all individual keys. That said, everything I've read suggests the DLC is pretty mediocre and fairly short.[/QUOTE]

No DLC it is, already finished the game once and I don't really feel like doing it again.

[quote name='unluckynumber11']Those are 30% off on Greenman gaming if you use their 30% off voucher.[/QUOTE]

Got it, thanks anyway.

[quote name='bubzers']I'm going thru withdrawal...I'm irritable, antsy, can't focus on anything, paranoid...

Valve is doing this on purpose.

I need my fix. And I need it now.[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. "You gotta hook me up man."

[quote name='Logg']I bought Torchlight 2 it may get cheaper some day, but meh.[/QUOTE]

I bought it at release for $16 then after a bit of play gifted a friend a copy at $20. There's nothing to regret. It's a great game, and I want to support the devs. I also liked their fair list price of $20.

[quote name='pjb16']Do the older splinter cell games still hold up well graphically on pc?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='bloodling']What would you recommend me in the Tom Clancy category? I'm planning to buy "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Elite Echelon Edition".[/QUOTE]

This.

[quote name='Syntax Error']I feel deeply robbed that I paid $1.19 for RACE: WTCC when I could have paid 89¢ for RACE 07 which "...also features the full WTCC season of 2006 which was included in the games predecessor RACE - The WTCC Game"

You won this round, Steam.[/QUOTE]

I believe this is because Gabe employs Bad Rats(tm) instead of Tony's hamsters.

These are some remarkable deals on these racing sims but I don't have a racing wheel and I'm not terribly dextrous, so the last time I tried a demo of one of these, it was like the episode of Top Gear when Richard Hammond tried to do a lap in an F1 car--except that he actually did make a lap eventually.

[quote name='bloodling']Use code IAMANELDERGEEK for a 5% discount on gamersgate. It works for the Elder Scrolls collection and for other games as well.[/QUOTE]
Actually, it's not a discount, it gives you additional blue coins that you can use later on.

[quote name='Charlie2688']Guys do you think Dead Island GOTY will get the -75% treatment?[/QUOTE]

No; but will probably get the 70% treatment. Amazon has DI-GOTY slated to run @ $5.99 and STEAM rarely beats them.
DeepSilver has a history of being stingy with discounts above 66%

[quote name='Palinn']How is the game play of Orcs 2 compared to the first one? More of the same? New and improved? The Orcs 2 Complete Pack is also 75% off at $6.24 which I am thinking about getting since I already have the first pack.[/QUOTE]

OMD1 doesn't have co-op if that matters to you, and if it does, bring a friend because I don't think you can play OMD2 with random folks (i.e. quick-matching)

[quote name='jshackles']I'm surprised everyone here isn't busy playing Revelations 2012[/QUOTE]

Bard, kitty, Obsidian, and I threw down against those evil Mayans at the stroke of last night. Was enough to last a while. Also, they removed one of the best parts with that massive update, those bastards.

[quote name='Mooby']Whoa, thanks for pointing out that Fallen Enchantress sale, how did I miss that?![/QUOTE]

And looks like that GG deal on Fallen Enchantress was a glitch -- US page isn't loading and UK page is showing only 50% off... ah well.

Gah, I can't believe I missed eight dollar fallen enchantress. *sigh* Gonna end up paying way too much for that game...

[quote name='bloodling']Actually, it's not a discount, it gives you additional blue coins that you can use later on.[/QUOTE]

It was a discount for me. I (and I think a few others here) bought Gray Matter for $2.38, $0.12 off the sale price of $2.50.

OMG, the Elder Scrolls collection was also a glitch it seems, it's now 50% off! It was 75% off a few minutes ago! Glad I managed to snatch it in time!

[quote name='Dalrint']Gah, I can't believe I missed eight dollar fallen enchantress. *sigh* Gonna end up paying way too much for that game...[/QUOTE]

Not only that but with the 5% discounted applied twice (to coins then to the game) it would have been more like $7.

[quote name='Dalrint']Gah, I can't believe I missed eight dollar fallen enchantress. *sigh* Gonna end up paying way too much for that game...[/QUOTE]

It's still a really new game. It will still see 75% off again someday and even a drop in MSRP for an even better price.

Patience is a virtue for a CAG. Whenever I get the urge to spend money on a new game, I just nuzzle my warm cozy backlog and let it soothe all my woes.

Since it is the season of giving, PM me for a Darksiders 1 steam key. Yeah the game is old and most people who want it probably already have it but you never know.

Is anyone else sort of disappointed with how the Steam sales are turning out? They're nothing like previous sales and they only have a couple of them being offered at a time. It certainly doesn't help that they aren't running some sort of promotional event to win "prizes" and such. Overall, this year has felt pretty bland in terms of sales. I am holding out for Sleeping Dogs and I hope it hits a pretty low price point.

[quote name='jshackles']Not likely. Seems that $89.99 is the "sale" price. Pfft![/QUOTE]
I wish and if it doesn't you still think I should get it at the end of the sale or wait until Summer when some of those new games aren't so "new" anymore?

[quote name='Bulkoth']Steam sold out this year, where are the "please take my money" sales??[/QUOTE]

To be honest, unless some games go to historic lows (Over 75% off), there isn't much that would be "please take my money". The combination of a large backlog and lots of indie bundles really chopped down what I'm willing to spend money for. It isn't like I'm taking my money elsewhere for PC games....

[quote name='Charlie2688']Guys do you think Dead Island GOTY will get the -75% treatment?[/QUOTE]

image.php

Mooby is this one of your relatives?

If it helps at all, it really is a good game. I paid $30 for it (yeah yeah I know *gasp* the horrors!) and I don't regret it at all.

[quote name='MulderYuffie']I wish and if it doesn't you still think I should get it at the end of the sale or wait until Summer when some of those new games aren't so "new" anymore?[/QUOTE]

Only new games are Skyrim and Dishonored, really. I guess maybe Doom 3. Fallout 3/NV, Brink, Quake 1-4, TES: 3/4, and Rage are all over or nearly over two years old. With Skyrim at $40.00 and Dishonored at $30.00, that's where the majority of your money is going.

[quote name='TheLongshot']To be honest, unless some games go to historic lows (Over 75% off), there isn't much that would be "please take my money". The combination of a large backlog and lots of indie bundles really chopped down what I'm willing to spend money for. It isn't like I'm taking my money elsewhere for PC games....[/QUOTE]

This. Although Amazon still manages to tempt me fairly well with a few of their sales. And I'm still hoping that I'll see a $12.50 TWD so I can get it for $7.50 after the $5 discount. And I'm still on the fence with Darksiders 2. I think I'll be able to hold off long enough until the option goes away, but it's still... tempting.

I should go play a game until I don't have to worry about it anymore.

[quote name='TheLongshot']To be honest, unless some games go to historic lows (Over 75% off), there isn't much that would be "please take my money". The combination of a large backlog and lots of indie bundles really chopped down what I'm willing to spend money for. It isn't like I'm taking my money elsewhere for PC games....[/QUOTE]
Yeah I am facing this problem. I see deals and it's yeah I own that, and need to play that. :lol:

Fallen Enchantress is awesome. I bought it during the Autumn Sale and have put like 35 hours into it so far. Would be much much more if I was splitting the time with Far Cry 3

Almost forget. FYI for those who play Planetside 2 or any other Sony FTP games. The triple station cash thing is today. I bought my $15 card from walmart that comes with a bonus 500SC and redeemed it getting $60 worth of station cash :D

I'm debating on both the Prince of Persia and Fear series.

Should I get the full packs, or individual games? I've never played either.

Also, is there any sort of continuing story in Prince of Persia, or are they all individual games?

Edit: Also the Tom Clancy series, lol..... Damn I have a problem.

[quote name='Scenttii']Is anyone else sort of disappointed with how the Steam sales are turning out? They're nothing like previous sales and they only have a couple of them being offered at a time. It certainly doesn't help that they aren't running some sort of promotional event to win "prizes" and such. Overall, this year has felt pretty bland in terms of sales. I am holding out for Sleeping Dogs and I hope it hits a pretty low price point.[/QUOTE]

First we had Mooby's cousin and now Cheaplikeafox's fat uncle.

image.php

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I'm debating on both the Prince of Persia and Fear series.

Also, is there any sort of continuing story in Prince of Persia, or are they all individual games?

Edit: Also the Tom Clancy series, lol..... Damn I have a problem.[/QUOTE]

Get the pack for Prince of Persia. Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones all have stories that connect. I forget where Forgotten Sands comes in, it's part of the series but I'm not sure where it fits in with the timeline. The 2008 Prince of Persia is completely seperate though, no connection whatsoever to the other games.

I personally liked SoT, WW, TT, and FS but hated PoP 2008. Some people like the 2008 PoP though, so maybe it's just not for me.

[quote name='INCyr']This. Although Amazon still manages to tempt me fairly well with a few of their sales. And I'm still hoping that I'll see a $12.50 TWD so I can get it for $7.50 after the $5 discount. And I'm still on the fence with Darksiders 2. I think I'll be able to hold off long enough until the option goes away, but it's still... tempting.

I should go play a game until I don't have to worry about it anymore.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, Amazon hasn't really tempted me much, outside of getting those $5 discounts, which may or may not be useful depending on what deals they actually have in the new year.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Also, is there any sort of continuing story in Prince of Persia, or are they all individual games?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that Sands Of Time/Warrior Within/The Two Thrones all follow each other, tho the stories are standalone. The s/t 2008 release is a reboot, and Forgotton Sands is supposed to take place somewhere in the original timeline.

[quote name='Motoki']First we had Mooby's cousin and now Cheaplikeafox's fat uncle.

image.php
[/QUOTE]

I had a good, hearty laugh. Thanks for making my morning better mate. :applause:

[quote name='wuxbustah8']I'm debating on both the Prince of Persia and Fear series.

If you know the series I recommend the packs

If you like FPS the whole FEAR collection is a must (even if the quality of some games on the pack is debatable)

For Prince of Persia 4 of the games have continuity with in a single story, the newer one (“Prince of Persia”) is a reboot

[quote name='sunghost']Get the pack for Prince of Persia. Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and Two Thrones all have stories that connect. I forget where Forgotten Sands comes in, it's part of the series but I'm not sure where it fits in with the timeline. The 2008 Prince of Persia is completely seperate though, no connection whatsoever to the other games.

I personally liked SoT, WW, TT, and FS but hated PoP 2008. Some people like the 2008 PoP though, so maybe it's just not for me.[/QUOTE]

Nice. Thanks for the info. I got the pack and finished Sands of Time and Warrior Within (I think). Loved the ones I played so far so I'm glad the story connects. Great deal for the 5 games, imo.

You don't have to play all three Sands of Time to follow what happens. I hated Warrior Within, correction, I still hate it. I've played the first and third games in the trilogy, and still have a good understanding of what took place. Basically the second one is just super angsty guy with Godsmack playing on loop forever.

Also, although Forgotten Sands is on my backlog, my understanding is that it's basically a movie tie-in, as it came out around the same time as the Prince of Persia movie.

Because it had to be done...

AHsnj.jpg

[quote name='Broken Cage']You don't have to play all three Sands of Time to follow what happens. I hated Warrior Within, correction, I still hate it. I've played the first and third games in the trilogy, and still have a good understanding of what took place. Basically the second one is just super angsty guy with Godsmack playing on loop forever.

Also, although Forgotten Sands is on my backlog, my understanding is that it's basically a movie tie-in, as it came out around the same time as the Prince of Persia movie.[/QUOTE]

While it did come out around the same time as the movie, it is connected to the original trilogy. If I am not mistaken it is supposed to take place between the first and second game. There was also a DS game that was supposed to take place during that period but I have no idea if that is even considered canon anymore of was even worth remembering.

[quote name='Wompdevil']While it did come out around the same time as the movie, it is connected to the original trilogy. If I am not mistaken it is supposed to take place between the first and second game. There was also a DS game that was supposed to take place during that period but I have no idea if that is even considered canon anymore of was even worth remembering.[/QUOTE]

And the Wii version was a completely different plot with different mechanics.

[quote name='TheLongshot']And the Wii version was a completely different plot with different mechanics.[/QUOTE]

In other words, it's confusing. I remember when a trilogy ended with three. They didn't have sequal trilogies (George...) or future releases that fit somewhere in the middle of the trilogy. God, I must be getting old.

BREAKING NEWS: The introduction to Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken has a really awesome song to it.

The game itself? Not played it. I thought we just came here to talk about 2 minute experiences?

EDIT:

First impressions... fun game! Feels very... deliberate? This isn't a shooter where you're racing around, flying across platforms and floating through the air. No. Everything's a bit more sedate and evenly-paced. Funny though.

And I knew penguins were evil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back