The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrinerr']unless you're a hardcore online fps player or plan on trading the other cs games, just stick with cs:go. the community isn't as large as 1.6 or source, but it's getting bigger.[/QUOTE]

Cool, thanks for insight. I'm just trying to get my feet wet still so I guess getting only one of the games is the best bet.

[quote name='Blackout']Thanks for the advice. It's not worth it to buy the other CS games then?[/QUOTE]

Ideally you want to get only one Counterstrike, get good at it and stick with it. That's why there are so many people who refuse to jump from the older versions to the newer ones. Just get GO, it's the best looking, its the most new player friendly, and as a new CS player any physics differences from previous versions won't matter to you.

Merry christmas guys, I am considering to get the Darksiders Franchise Pack for $8 from Amazon, do you guys think it will get cheaper by next summer? I have a feeling that its value will end up like Saint Row The Third (only $2.49 now) by next year, since almost all THQ titles depreciate in value faster than other game publishers.

What about the gameplay? I have been hearing mixed feedback, some said it is boring with too much loot. I would really appreciate some advice here.

Buy it now while THQ is still in business. You aren't going to see a franchise pack with two games plus DLC for much less than that. An outside shot at 7.50, maybe.

The first game plays a lot like a Legend of Zelda game with more active combat. Haven't started the second yet.

[quote name='iSerra']Merry christmas guys, I am considering to get the Darksiders Franchise Pack for $8 from Amazon, do you guys think it will get cheaper by next summer? I have a feeling that its value will end up like Saint Row The Third (only $2.49 now) by next year, since almost all THQ titles depreciate in value faster than other game publishers.

What about the gameplay? I have been hearing mixed feedback, some said it is boring with too much loot. I would really appreciate some advice here.[/QUOTE]

It probably will go cheaper by the summer unless THQ's assets start getting sold off, then it would be anyone's guess.

I thought combat in the game was fun, nothing amazingly original, but solid action combat and better than the first one. There is a lot of loot, but it doesn't really detract from the game, eventually you'll just disregard most of it and only pick up the rarer stuff.

Should I get mp3 for 15$ or just wait for summer? my inner cag is tellin me to wait since its 75% off 60 which is stupid for a digital download, principal alone I shouldnt even be involved with such tomfoolery!

Hey guys, do any of you know if Tomb Raider Legend,Anni and UW have Surround sound?

I can get those 3 on steam for about the same price that I can get TR:Trilogy on PS3 right now and surround sound really is the deal breaker for me. I can't seem to find any info anywhere.

Grabbed the Max Payne 1 & 2 Bundle. Slowly working my wishlist down. Still waiting on Oddboxx to hit 75 % off. And would love for a few more games to drop just a little bit more in price!

[quote name='BridgetFisher']Should I get mp3 for 15$ or just wait for summer? my inner cag is tellin me to wait since its 75% off 60 which is stupid for a digital download, principal alone I shouldnt even be involved with such tomfoolery![/QUOTE]

I recommend waiting until it hits $5. Rockstar PC ports tend to suck.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']Should I get mp3 for 15$ or just wait for summer? my inner cag is tellin me to wait since its 75% off 60 which is stupid for a digital download, principal alone I shouldnt even be involved with such tomfoolery![/QUOTE]

I was really hesitant to buy it, then I was hesitant to play it. By the time I beat the game I was kicking myself for waiting so long to play it.

Especially the last half of the game. Pretty f'n awesome. I vote buy.

[quote name='bshirk']I recommend waiting until it hits $5. Rockstar PC ports tend to suck.[/QUOTE]

I played through it just fine on PC, using a high-mid range computer. Was held back by my 5770 video card at the time.

Excellent game, ran just fine. MP's pretty fun, but not sure if there's anyone still playing.

Also, DOTA 2 again in the flash sales?

BOOOOOOOOOOO.

[quote name='SCMoney360']I was really hesitant to buy it, then I was hesitant to play it. By the time I beat the game I was kicking myself for waiting so long to play it.

Especially the last half of the game. Pretty f'n awesome. I vote buy.[/QUOTE]

MP3 got some flak from a lot of people but it was one of my favorite games of the year. The singleplayer was amazing. I loved the story, the setting, the characters, EVERYTHING!

And if you aren't buying 100 copies of DOTA 2 every time it is on sale you are actually losing money.

[quote name='Preedatore']I wish you could add tags to games and then have a checkbox system. If I want to play a fps/rpg I check those boxes and the games with both those tags show.[/QUOTE]
Yes, please!

[quote name='cheapo72']Considering the fact that the three oldest (in Steam-Life, that is) Tomb Raider games have been available for 4-5 years, it might have been prudent for Squeenixidos to offer up a "Tomb Raider Classics" pack for I-VI. :([/QUOTE]
[quote name='sunghost']Exactly. Everyone I know that had any interest in Tomb Raider has them (the "old" games) by now.[/QUOTE]
That's probably exactly why there isn't a classics pack. :roll:

Max Payne 3 is also $15 at Gamefly right now and I believe the HOLIDAY10 discount coupon still works for an additional 10% off. Probably HOLIDAY20 worked for it too at one point but that one is supposedly dead.

As I wait for the rest of my family to wake up, shame that they've actually had games I want over the past day or two but not at the right prices for me. I've thought that Orcs and Men game looked pretty cool since it came out, but I'm not paying $20 for it. Same thing with Chivalry, still just a little too high for me for that type of game. Under $10, I would get it.

Merry Christmas to all.

[quote name='Blade']Remember that the Dreamcast Pack is going to be $4.99 on Amazon starting tomorrow. Consists of: Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, SEGA Bass Fishing, Sonic Adventure DX, and Space Channel 5 Part 2. All games activate on Steam, AND you get $5 promotional credit towards any downloadable games in January. So it's basically free![/QUOTE]
Urgh, don't tempt me! I don't need those other games, do I?

Yeah, I delayed buying JSR by itself last night and remembered the bundle when I woke up this morning. I'll go for the bundle I'm sure. ;) :roll:

[quote name='bshirk']I recommend waiting until it hits $5. Rockstar PC ports tend to suck.[/QUOTE]

right here we have the perfect example of someone sounding like a fool when they make a blanket statement

Lots of folks grumbling that the Winter sale wasn't all that great, this year... I did okay!

$9.99 Dawn Of War Franchise
$7.49 Saints Row Third Complete Package

I just checked the Top Seller list on the front page of Steam store. Nothing unexpected in the Top 20. But I can't believe my eyes when I saw #23 is the Company of Heroes Complete Pack. Wasn't it like a dollar a week or so ago in HB THQ?

I guess I should think again when I assumed everyone as CAG as I am ...

[quote name='cranky2']Lots of folks grumbling that the Winter sale wasn't all that great, this year... I did okay!

$9.99 Dawn Of War Franchise
$7.49 Saints Row Third Complete Package[/QUOTE]

I got Dawn of War, Tomb Raider Collection (even though Anniversary was wasted), CoD 1&2, Flatout Complete pack, and Killing Floor.

I picked up SR3 for $2.50 after coupon from Amazon. So Steam lost that one.

Edit: Oh, also forgot that I got Mission Runway for $2.50.

[quote name='BoringPat']I just checked the Top Seller list on the front page of Steam store. Nothing unexpected in the Top 20. But I can't believe my eyes when I saw #23 is the Company of Heroes Complete Pack. Wasn't it like a dollar a week or so ago in HB THQ?

I guess I should think again when I assumed everyone as CAG as I am ...[/QUOTE]

Humble Bundles are still sort of a question mark for some of us slower CAGs. :drool:

[quote name='BoringPat']I just checked the Top Seller list on the front page of Steam store. Nothing unexpected in the Top 20. But I can't believe my eyes when I saw #23 is the Company of Heroes Complete Pack. Wasn't it like a dollar a week or so ago in HB THQ?

I guess I should think again when I assumed everyone as CAG as I am ...[/QUOTE]

Are you sure they're not just counting the Steam keys activated towards "sales"? The Steam keys I purchase from Amazon still show up in my store transactions as "Purchases".

Giana Sisters came in dead last but something called Towns that looks like a bad Sim City knock-off wins? That's it, I'm giving up on people.

[quote name='argyle']Giana Sisters came in dead last but something called Towns that looks like a bad Sim City knock-off wins? That's it, I'm giving up on people.[/QUOTE]

It was one of the first kickstarter games and the developers released it much like Hammerpoint did with WarZ. AI is terrible, there is no tutorial and half the content promised is missing.

[quote name='argyle']Giana Sisters came in dead last but something called Towns that looks like a bad Sim City knock-off wins? That's it, I'm giving up on people.[/QUOTE]

I still stand by my theory that there is no actual vote calculated for these. Its just which every Valve already knows they are putting up.

The voting process itself it just there to give people something to do since they don't have achievements (coal, tickets) anymore.

Still doubting whether to get Saints Row the 3rd or not... usually I'm not really into GTA-type games but still, people seem to think it's fun. Thoughts?

[quote name='Therapy']Still doubting whether to get Saints Row the 3rd or not... usually I'm not really into GTA-type games but still, people seem to think it's fun. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I don't really like most of the GTA games. San Andreas I did but I think that was mostly due to the huge area to explore.

However I did enjoy SRTT quite a bit. Yeah the mechanics are the same but it doesn't really feel like the same type of game to me. Some of the situations and story are just so ridiculous that it makes it fun to play.

[quote name='Therapy']Still doubting whether to get Saints Row the 3rd or not... usually I'm not really into GTA-type games but still, people seem to think it's fun. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth the money at this price. It does enough different things in an open world setting to warrant at least checking it out, even if you don't like GTA-style games.

If you've bought any THQ games from Amazon DVG (the digital distribution part) this year before the 25th, you should be able to get the pack for $2.50 with the promo coupon.

If you wanted an insane GTA-style game that is absolutely crazy, ridiculous, crass, immature, juvenile, over-the-top, funny, hilarious, well-written, witty, and A TON of FUN...
...then SR:TT is your meal ticket.

Half of the things that happen in this game, I could never dream up.

While I did like SR2, it wasn't that great, IMHO...
...Though, SR:TT is definitely BIG COMPETITION for GTA series, if you ask me.
This game is GREAT.

I truly love the GTA series (especially Vice City) and SR:TT.

BTW - Sleeping Dogs is really good, from what I've played, so far. Much more serious than GTA and SR:TT for sure - though, WAY more emphasis on melee combat (which is what I liked about Sleeping Dogs).

I am sad Giana Sisters didn't win but I have had my eye on Towns for awhile. Though I am hearing from several of you that I should pass it up? I know the game is still in beta so I imagine it is slowly but surely being updated. Ah well I guess I will wait to see what the sale price is and if I should bite or not

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone!

[quote name='MysterD']If you wanted an insane GTA-style game that is absolutely crazy, ridiculous, crass, immature, juvenile, over-the-top, funny, hilarious, well-written, witty, and A TON of FUN...
...then SR:TT is your meal ticket.

Half of the things that happen in this game, I could never dream up.

While I did like SR2, it wasn't that great, IMHO...
...Though, SR:TT is definitely BIG COMPETITION for GTA series, if you ask me.
This game is GREAT.

I truly love the GTA series (especially Vice City) and SR:TT.

BTW - Sleeping Dogs is really good, from what I've played, so far. Much more serious than GTA and SR:TT for sure - though, WAY more emphasis on melee combat (which is what I liked about Sleeping Dogs).[/QUOTE]
Just beat the main storyline and most of the side missions of Sleeping Dogs last night and have to agree. I actually don't like the GTA series because it has TOO much to do. Sleeping Dogs streamlines it all a bit more for people like me with OCD completionist tendencies. Also really like the melee combat a lot. Overally, VERY happy with that free game from my AMD card purchase.

[quote name='Wompdevil']I am sad Giana Sisters didn't win but I have had my eye on Towns for awhile. Though I am hearing from several of you that I should pass it up? I know the game is still in beta so I imagine it is slowly but surely being updated. Ah well I guess I will wait to see what the sale price is and if I should bite or not

BTW, Merry Christmas everyone![/QUOTE]
I voted for Giana Sisters myself, but I know nothing of its quality. However, I happen to be a huge fan of "2.5D Platformer" titles. (I hold Klonoa: Door to Phantomile and Bionic Commando: Rearmed in high regard.) Thus, I plan on picking up the game, at some point.

Oh yes, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all my CAGly friends.

[quote name='Detruire']If you've bought any THQ games from Amazon DVG (the digital distribution part) this year before the 25th, you should be able to get the pack for $2.50 with the promo coupon.[/QUOTE]

You absolutely can, but only until the Steam Sale on SR3 ends at 1pm EST.

Dark Souls is one of the new flash deals (pretty sure). The price flipped in my wishlist to 50% off ($20).

Edit - However, if you can wait until Jan 1. and have the Editors choice credit on Amazon it will be $12.99

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back