The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Giana Sisters is good fun, although admittedly I only played through the first world.

Verdict on Towns? It's been on my wishlist, but I would need some pretty good persuading to spend $7.50 on it.

[quote name='Unaki']It was one of the first kickstarter games and the developers released it much like Hammerpoint did with WarZ. AI is terrible, there is no tutorial and half the content promised is missing.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't kickstarted, it was greenlit. Different system.

There is a tutorial, it's just not very good.

I feel like you're making the comparison to WarZ unnecessarily. It's not great, or seemingly finished, but there's still more there than WarZ.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']Do I want max payne 3? anyone play it?

Also should I get it on amazon or steam its the same price really.[/QUOTE]

Amazon probably unlocks through Steam anyway.

As for Max Payne 3, did you play the first two? If you did, it's nothing like that. It's harder, bullet time is only worthwhile for coming out from behind cover to shoot someone, and the character is dark and depressing.

The first two Max Paynes were dark, but they had some lightness to them, some redeeming quality. The Max Payne in Max Payne 3 is just dark and brutal.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']Do I want max payne 3? anyone play it?
[/QUOTE]

If you suffer from motion sickness or visually induced headaches or migraines, be warned, the cut scenes can be painful. I'm a fan of the series and couldn't finish the game because of the cut scenes. It's a solid shooter in the Max Payne genre, but I didn't get the same vibe as I did from 1 or 2.

Towns isn't even a finished game yet.:cry:

I love alpha funding and beta buy-ins and the idea of Greenlight but unfinished games shouldn't be winning-out over far more complete packages.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts about SR3 :) I haven't got a coupon from THQ but I figure the price will be worth all the stuff you get for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Terlan']Happy holidays everyone. Also anyone else's steam saying no connection?[/QUOTE]

Mine. Can't login on 2 machines, but web login works fine. Also can't access steam support -- just getting a page not found error. Frustrating.

Did anyone pick up towns? Have they made the interface and controls less infuriating?

As a concept I like it but when I tried the demo jesus christ it is awful to play.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Towns isn't even a finished game yet.:cry:

I love alpha funding and beta buy-ins and the idea of Greenlight but unfinished games shouldn't be winning-out over far more complete packages.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. Plus after reading some comments in the forums I think I will pass on it for awhile. But yeah, why have a game in beta go up against fully complete games?

[quote name='mrfossey']Giana Sisters is good fun, although admittedly I only played through the first world.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Neuro5i5']If you suffer from motion sickness or visually induced headaches or migraines, be warned, the cut scenes can be painful. I'm a fan of the series and couldn't finish the game because of the cut scenes. It's a solid shooter in the Max Payne genre, but I didn't get the same vibe as I did from 1 or 2.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the insights; It strengthens my resolve to either pick up the game as soon as possible (Giana Sisters) or wait for a very reasonable price. (Max Payne 3.) As an added note, I do miss the old Remedy days, but I'm glad they're still in business, bringing us titles like Alan Wake.

By the way, it's worth noting that the Sega Genesis Classics pack, which includes all five sets, is available on Amazon for $4.87. (It includes Steam keys for all five packs and has a $5 Amazon Promotional Credit, which is good for the month of January.) Since the SEGA Classics pack was removed from the Sonic Franchise bundle Daily Deal, this may be the next best thing.

To anyone who has played Saints Row 3 with the DLC....

Do the DLC missions ever disappear from your phone? I've done them all but a few of them are stuck in my phone after reloading the save.

Damn... I was really counting on Giana Sisters this morning... what's wrong with people??

I too am on the fence about Max Payne 3. 75% off is great, but it needs to be 75% off something less than $60. I can't help but think it'll be a few dollars less in several months. I know it's a good game though and I really would like to play it. Decisions.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']
By the way, it's worth noting that the Sega Genesis Classics pack, which includes all five sets, is available on Amazon for $4.87. (It includes Steam keys for all five packs and has a $5 Amazon Promotional Credit, which is good for the month of January.) Since the SEGA Classics pack was removed from the Sonic Franchise bundle Daily Deal, this may be the next best thing.[/QUOTE]

Ya know, I saw that last night but one of the reviews said specifically that these weren't Steam games...decided to check again since you mentioned it and sure enough; DRM = Steam.

Been waiting on those for so long and that's an awesome deal! Thanks!

I'm debating picking up Endless Space for 66% off. Just was hoping to nab it at 75% off. You guys think it's worth it to a big 4x guy and do you think we'll see it any cheaper?

edit: Just saw Amazon price matched it with a $5 promo credit. Do you know if I can activate it on steam if I buy it on there? Sorry for the questions but I'm fairly new to steam.

Gave my vote to Dark Messiah even though I grabbed it dirty cheap last week on Gamersgate, but I feel that more people should be aware of it... I still think it's one of the best fantasy RPG-lite games I've ever played, sorta like Thief but with good chunks of action segments so it's not entirely stealth based (but you can play it with this style from start to end if you like).

Its physics engine is exaggerated, but it was fun shooting arrows from the darkness and watch the guards getting pinned on a wall several feet away...! :lol:

Combat is very satisfying thanks to the fact that you can pick up virtually everything you see and use it as a weapon, or sneak behind your enemies and kick them in a pit... there's truly a great sense of freedom in almost every situation.

Plus, it has one of the most disturbing representations of spiders in a game... the way their legs flail and creep towards you still give me nightmares...

So, if you happen to fancy action RPGs and the first person perspective doesn't make you sick (there's a lot of camera swaying while you move), you should really keep an eye on DMoMM... at a discounted price, that is! :cool:

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Ya know, I saw that last night but one of the reviews said specifically that these weren't Steam games...decided to check again since you mentioned it and sure enough; DRM = Steam.[/QUOTE]
It's only recently (a month or so ago iirc) that SEGA started giving Amazon Steam keys for non-Steamworks games.

[quote name='hal']Damn... I was really counting on Giana Sisters this morning... what's wrong with people??

I too am on the fence about Max Payne 3. 75% off is great, but it needs to be 75% off something less than $60. I can't help but think it'll be a few dollars less in several months. I know it's a good game though and I really would like to play it. Decisions.[/QUOTE]

Rebuttal to your first paragraph: people are idiots.

Rebuttal to your second paragraph: just buy it already! Don't be one of those people.... You know, the idiots.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Ya know, I saw that last night but one of the reviews said specifically that these weren't Steam games...decided to check again since you mentioned it and sure enough; DRM = Steam.

Been waiting on those for so long and that's an awesome deal! Thanks![/QUOTE]
Yeah, it was a complaint by many that certain bundles, like the Dreamcast Pack and SEGA Genesis Classics bundle, weren't Steam keys. (In some cases, only a few games in the pack, like Jet Set Radio, came with Steam keys.) Amazon has since created duplicate bundles that remedy the situation.

[quote name='SCMoney360']Rebuttal to your first paragraph: people are idiots.

Rebuttal to your second paragraph: just buy it already! Don't be one of those people.... You know, the idiots.[/QUOTE]

GMG has it for $6.30 with their coupon plus it activates on Steam. I think I'll go that route. Kick Steam in the shins, thumb my nose at the idiots, and enjoy a good game.

[quote name='hal']GMG has it for $6.30 with their coupon plus it activates on Steam. I think I'll go that route. Kick Steam in the shins, thumb my nose at the idiots, and enjoy a good game.[/QUOTE]

You win sir.

[quote name='hal']Damn... I was really counting on Giana Sisters this morning... what's wrong with people??[/QUOTE]

Giana Sisters was on sale at GoG for 75% off a few days ago, which is why I didn't vote for it on Steam at 66%. Wait and see if GoG does a encore recap near the end of their sale like they did for the first half.

If you absolutely need it on Steam, it seems like you found a decent deal.

What a wonderful day for downtime.:applause:

I decided to bite on the Saints Row deal just to have all of the DLC and of course the Steam servers explode so I can't install any of it.:wall::p

[quote name='wuxbustah8']To anyone who has played Saints Row 3 with the DLC....

Do the DLC missions ever disappear from your phone? I've done them all but a few of them are stuck in my phone after reloading the save.[/QUOTE]

I can't check now, but I believe you can toggle DLC off in the options menu.

I voted for Dark Messiah because it's the same studio that made Dishonored. I know it's not as good of a game, but I'd like to give it a run. Besides, doesn't everyone already own Civ4?

Also, I'd like to recommend Terraria as a good timesink game. I've put 70 hours into it, and I haven't actually even attempted killing anyone. For $3.40, you can get a lot of game time out of it.

[quote name='Junpei']Gave my vote to Dark Messiah even though I grabbed it dirty cheap last week on Gamersgate, but I feel that more people should be aware of it... [/QUOTE]

The Boot of Vengeance is one of the greatest things evar in a fantasy-setting video game.

Also, I was surprised by the game company releasing an official wallpaper of one of the characters nude. Shit, I googled and it's still up on ubi.com.

Wasnt max payne 3 priced at $19.99 already in steam before? Why is it back to $59.99 now and 75% off? Not yet a good buy imo

I need the Sims 3 (and expansions) to make a return as a daily today so that Amazon will price match it and I'll have something to use my $5 promo credit on.

[quote name='hal']Damn... I was really counting on Giana Sisters this morning... what's wrong with people??

I too am on the fence about Max Payne 3. 75% off is great, but it needs to be 75% off something less than $60. I can't help but think it'll be a few dollars less in several months. I know it's a good game though and I really would like to play it. Decisions.[/QUOTE]

Really bummed about Giana too. I already have it but I am having so much fun with it (trust me it's rare for me to get sucked into playing my games) that I think others should get it too.

I have Towns and it's meh. I got it from the Indie Royale Alpha fund bundle way back and I'm fine with that and thankful they gave out Steam keys later however in its current condition it's no way, no how worth $7.50, let alone the $15 regular price they are asking.

You only need go to the community forum to see all the NERDRAGE people who bought it have about it being sold in an unfinished condition for a not insubstantial price either.

I mean hell if Toki Tori can be 49 cents and is a really good polished game then Towns should be 25 cents.

BTW in Giana when you play the Punk sister in the pretty forest land (as opposed to the sweet blonde sister in the scary land) instrumental music from a Swedish metal band plays. SWEDISH METAL BAND!

That's weird. I decided to budge and bought SR3 Complete. After paying it doesn't show up in my list of games. Then I realised I cannot connect with my friends since I'm unable to connect to the steam servers...

How is it possible that I can browse the store and buy games, but can't do anything else?

*Edit* and just like that it reconnects... but still no SR3 in my list :(

[quote name='TheKbob']
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
He presents me a copy of Left 4 Dead.
...[/QUOTE]

Where's the part where we throw eggnog on his beard and complain that we don't want Left 4 Crap but need [Game X] at 75% off?

[quote name='asheskitty']
Runway_3.jpg
Runway_3a.jpg
[/QUOTE]
They wouldn't have given us tiger facepaint if they didn't want it to be used. Rawr(?)

[quote name='G33']Giana Sisters was on sale at GoG for 75% off a few days ago, which is why I didn't vote for it on Steam at 66%. Wait and see if GoG does a encore recap near the end of their sale like they did for the first half.

If you absolutely need it on Steam, it seems like you found a decent deal.[/QUOTE]
I believe it was only 75% off if you bought the entire pack. Since I already owned some of the games off-GoG, I couldn't justify the bundle price. Thus, only a 50% discount would apply. (Sadly, at this point, that scenario has lead me to pass on multiple GoG holiday bundles.) Since the potential Flash Deal discount on Steam was about 66%, I think it'd be best to see if it shows up as a discounted item later on.

[quote name='Motoki']Really bummed about Giana too. I already have it but I am having so much fun with it (trust me it's rare for me to get sucked into playing my games) that I think others should get it too.

BTW in Giana when you play the Punk sister in the pretty forest land (as opposed to the sweet blonde sister in the scary land) instrumental music from a Swedish metal band plays. SWEDISH METAL BAND![/QUOTE]
I'm even more sold on the game now; I hope it becomes a Flash Sale somewhere along the way.

[quote name='Therapy']That's weird. I decided to budge and bought SR3 Complete. After paying it doesn't show up in my list of games. Then I realised I cannot connect with my friends since I'm unable to connect to the steam servers...

How is it possible that I can browse the store and buy games, but can't do anything else?

*Edit* and just like that it reconnects... but still no SR3 in my list :([/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, you're on my friends list and I just went to check your games and it says that you own it.

[quote name='Therapy']That's weird. I decided to budge and bought SR3 Complete. After paying it doesn't show up in my list of games. Then I realised I cannot connect with my friends since I'm unable to connect to the steam servers...

*Edit* and just like that it reconnects... but still no SR3 in my list :([/QUOTE]

Same issue I already owned SR3 but just got the SR3 full package off Amazon and I don't see it on my list ;/

[quote name='oman19']I'm debating picking up Endless Space for 66% off. Just was hoping to nab it at 75% off. You guys think it's worth it to a big 4x guy and do you think we'll see it any cheaper?

edit: Just saw Amazon price matched it with a $5 promo credit. Do you know if I can activate it on steam if I buy it on there? Sorry for the questions but I'm fairly new to steam.[/QUOTE]
I bought the emperor edition from amazon, so yeah it activates on steam. Amazon also had it cheaper last week as well.

[quote name='The End']For what it's worth, you're on my friends list and I just went to check your games and it says that you own it.[/QUOTE]

Really? Thanks for checking :) guess I'll just have to wait untill my steam account agrees with your findings :D

*edit* I restarted both steam and my whole PC by the way. Still nothing :( I'm sure it will be fine soon though. The last time this happened, it was fixed the moment I sent a mail to steam support :p

[quote name='evachrono']Same issue I already owned SR3 but just got the SR3 full package off Amazon and I don't see it on my list ;/[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me. Restarting Steam made the DLC show-up.

Be mindful that they are still having issues though.

lol I totally predicted people voting Towns through, ask asheskitty ;)

People will always vote for what game is most popular, never for which deal would be best. Not sure why Towns is more popular though, but I guess more people know about it than Giana Sisters?

[quote name='G33']Giana Sisters was on sale at GoG for 75% off a few days ago, which is why I didn't vote for it on Steam at 66%. Wait and see if GoG does a encore recap near the end of their sale like they did for the first half.

If you absolutely need it on Steam, it seems like you found a decent deal.[/QUOTE]

It was in a bundle at 75% off, not individually. If you could manage to find someone with all of the games from the bundle, then you could get them to gift it to you at 75% off.. but honestly, most people had the majority of the games. That, and I'd say at least half the people in this thread would rather have the game on Steam than GOG.

[quote name='starscream1101']I voted Civ 4 since I have been wanting to try out Civilizations but never played one.[/QUOTE]

I have IV from an Amazon pack a while back but, ahem, still haven't gotten around to playing it. I will say the V is super accessible even if you've never played a game like that before and it's very addicting.

Purists I think seem to like IV better, unless they are really crusty and in-my-day crotetchy and then I think they like II best. :roll:

Note that IV @ 75% off if you get the complete version would be the same price that V GOTY regularly goes for these days on sale, about $7.50.

Personally, I think a $30 retail for Civ IV, even a complete edition, is a bit overinflated at this point since that game is so old.

If you want to jump in whole hog, the $20 2K Strategy pack at Amazon is a much better deal.

And actually, if you buy the Korea/Ancient Wonder DLC (which is the only thing that isn't in that pack) today you should get another $5 off any 2K item tomorrow as a loyalty bonus.

[quote name='sunghost']lol I totally predicted people voting Towns through, ask asheskitty ;)

People will always vote for what game is most popular, never for which deal would be best. Not sure why Towns is more popular though, but I guess more people know about it than Giana Sisters?[/QUOTE]

I don't get it. I just checked the community forum there and there's still a ton of nerdrage about it being a half assed game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back