The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Plenty of people here and in the Amazon thread could do with a good punch to the throat. In order to not complain and cause more drama, it is up to each person to decide if they are deserving or not.

Meh, I either own today's deals or I flat-out don't want them. So I don't care about the discounts that they've gotten. But if others wanna complain, i got no problem with it.

[quote name='Motoki']All I can say is if people have this much nerdrage on Christmas day over a few dollars for digital games maybe you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself, stop being so entitled and appreciate the things you have.[/QUOTE]

Quit being so reasonable and mature this is cheapassgamer. It's a place where people will bitch and moan over a couple of dollars and then move on with their lives.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh I give up.

The deals suck! This is an outrage! Grab the pitchforks! Let's go to Bellevue and lynch Gabe Newell on Christmas day! Bunt the witch!! Burn the witch!!

I'm going back to playing Giana. Have fun all of you with your Christmas bitch fest.[/QUOTE]

Good lord man, you're in a foul mood.

[quote name='Motoki']I have IV from an Amazon pack a while back but, ahem, still haven't gotten around to playing it. I will say the V is super accessible even if you've never played a game like that before and it's very addicting.

Purists I think seem to like IV better, unless they are really crusty and in-my-day crotetchy and then I think they like II best. :roll:
[/QUOTE]

Representing the crusty old men who walked both ways in the snow to play Civ here. I won't say Civ II is objectively the best of the series but it's still my favorite.

Honestly, I don't get the dislike for Civ V, especially with Gods and Kings. Personally I'd rank the Civs II, V, IV, I, III. Best reason to play Civ V over Civ IV is that I have yet to have a spearman beat a panzer in Civ V which is something that happened all too frequently in every single previous version of Civ. Also the streamlined sea transport of units makes life so much more pleasant. Civ IV fixes the many many things wrong with III in my opinion, but Civ V fixes many of things that were wrong with Civ in general for me. It's far from a perfect game but I felt it was a good step in the right direction at least and I can't allow myself to play it if I have any plans in the next 24 hours.

Unrelated, how does Magic work these days? Last time I played a pc version was briefly with Magic On-Line. The Steam write up talks about 10 in game decks, but how do you get other cards, are they all unlocks or do you they have like DLC booster packs? Haven't played any Magic since like 6th Edition, so it would be nice to have a cheaper entry to play with some of the new rules and deck building strategies, but not sure how that's all been translated into the digital world.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh I give up.

The deals suck! This is an outrage! Grab the pitchforks! Let's go to Bellevue and lynch Gabe Newell on Christmas day! Bunt the witch!! Burn the witch!!

I'm going back to playing Giana. Have fun all of you with your Christmas bitch fest.[/QUOTE]

Wow looking at your past few posts make you sound like the whiny bitch, matter of fact I would say for the past 4 pages the person who sticks out as "bitching" is you

[quote name='Motoki']Blablabla this is the worst sale EVER (until the next one) blablabla this sale sucks blablabla nothing for me because I'm like the center of the universe and feel the need to announce that like everyone needs to know blablabla

BAH HUMBUG TO YOU ALL!

Seriously though, can we stop complaining for one day because every single game we wanted isn't 75% right now and just be happy for one day?[/QUOTE]

Yep. You're right.... sorry

Magic comes back to taunt me again, but I'll probably hold off again as well. Also really $7.50 for deadlight? Was expecting $5, so I'll wait on it. Overall nothing for me from the daily deals but that suits me just fine. Gives me a chance to play the games I've gotten thus far.

[quote name='sunghost']Hey guys, did Amazon send out the Sega credit yet?[/QUOTE]

I thought they were only giving out credit for THQ, EA and Ubisoft or did I miss something?

Motoki is HILARIOUS. Makes the entire thread worth reading. The rage everyone is feeling is like someone peed in their cheerios. If Steam doesn't discount what you want, maybe it'll be on sale elsewhere. Can't please everyone.

Any... ANY... CAG that bitches that a price today is BETTER than Black Friday needs to have their nuts chopped off.

And if any of you went shopping the toy deals were WAY better over this past weekend than Black Friday and the great clearance begins tomm. You think they'll bitch about that too?

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I thought they were only giving out credit for THQ, EA and Ubisoft or did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

... and 2K

I know I missed a better deal a few days ago at GMG, but as someone that wants Batman: AC, should I just grab it now at $7.50 from Steam, or would it be likely that someone else will have a lower price than that in the next week?

[quote name='Terlan']Magic comes back to taunt me again, but I'll probably hold off again as well.[/QUOTE]

It seems like by the time the game plus the expansions are on sale for a good price the next year's version is out and I just end up never buying them. (only have the original release + expansions)

[quote name='G33']Giana Sisters was on sale at GoG for 75% off a few days ago, which is why I didn't vote for it on Steam at 66%. Wait and see if GoG does a encore recap near the end of their sale like they did for the first half.

If you absolutely need it on Steam, it seems like you found a decent deal.[/QUOTE]

The best price Giana has been is $6 (GMG $9 w/30% code). GoG was this this bundle where you had to buy everything (that you didn't already own on GoG) in the bundle to get 75% off. Gog forum thread about that bundle.

[quote name='sunghost']lol I totally predicted people voting Towns through, ask asheskitty ;)

People will always vote for what game is most popular, never for which deal would be best. Not sure why Towns is more popular though, but I guess more people know about it than Giana Sisters?

It was in a bundle at 75% off, not individually. If you could manage to find someone with all of the games from the bundle, then you could get them to gift it to you at 75% off.. but honestly, most people had the majority of the games. That, and I'd say at least half the people in this thread would rather have the game on Steam than GOG.[/QUOTE]

>.> This is the *Steam* thread. There's a link to the GOG thread in my sig.

[quote name='Preedatore']I'm sure Giana Sisters will get another chance either via vote or flash. Someone got my hopes up and said it won, but I checked and there was 90 minutes left. Boo.[/QUOTE]

The deals are all pre-negotiated so they have incentive to actually run them one way or another. In the Summer sale I recall seeing a bunch of voting-losers run as flash sales (also it was terribly recycled.)

[quote name='G33']It was 75% off individually, just like the current GoG sale is 80% for any or all of the games in the "bundle" (which acts more like a theme). Although I did not purchase it (I was attempting to to get an impression from a friend, but he was unreachable), I had it ready to be purchased at 75% as the only game in my order and I did not own any of the other games on sale.

If you haven't been checking each GoG deal of the day, many of them allow you to pick and choose which games you want. A few have been GoG's standard 75% for all or 50% for some, but a fair number of them have been ala carte.[/QUOTE]

Giana was listed solo at $8.99. I was there looking for a deal on it. Only a small handful were run solo at 75% Giana wasn't one of them.

[quote name='G33']If that was the case, I guess I should have bought it then, since I did have it on the place your order screen at $3.75. Oh well.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to continue to press this. Post a screencap or link to another site that echoed the deal. All evidence points at either you hitting a glitch or this being flat out wrong or a misunderstanding on your part.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']oh that's right I missed 2K, Sega is not part of that promo or atleast not that I'm aware of[/QUOTE]

You know, until very recently I was under the impression that 2K was actually part of SEGA. I guess I got that impression because of their willingness to develop for the Dreamcast when other devs were abandoning ship.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']oh that's right I missed 2K, Sega is not part of that promo or atleast not that I'm aware of[/QUOTE]

My post was a joke ;)

[quote name='Commy']I know I missed a better deal a few days ago at GMG, but as someone that wants Batman: AC, should I just grab it now at $7.50 from Steam, or would it be likely that someone else will have a lower price than that in the next week?[/QUOTE]

Probably the best price you'll find for the rest of the year, unless GamersGate or someone else has a pricing error or Green Man Gaming puts it back up at 75% + 30% coupon.

[quote name='asheskitty']If you're going to continue to press this. Post a screencap or link to another site that echoed the deal. All evidence points at either you hitting a glitch or this being flat out wrong or a misunderstanding on your part.[/QUOTE]

You're funny. I already had that discussion with sunghost, and consensus was that it was a glitch on my side.

[quote name='UW_Shocks']^^^
Don't lose your Christmas Spirit! Here's some emergency Egg Nogg to jump start your jolliness.[/QUOTE]

Mmmm, Emergency Eggnog, mine came with a side of Single Malt! Needless to say, eggnog still sitting there ;)

Merry Christmas to all!!

It's a wonderful day:bouncy:

TMG

[quote name='Motoki']Blablabla this is the worst sale EVER (until the next one) blablabla this sale sucks blablabla nothing for me because I'm like the center of the universe and feel the need to announce that like everyone needs to know blablabla

BAH HUMBUG TO YOU ALL!

Seriously though, can we stop complaining for one day because every single game we wanted isn't 75% right now and just be happy for one day?[/QUOTE]

I think it's just the fact that other competitors have stepped up their game this time around.

[quote name='theemadgamer']Mmmm, Emergency Eggnog, mine came with a side of Single Malt! Needless to say, eggnog still sitting there ;)

Merry Christmas to all!!

It's a wonderful day:bouncy:

TMG[/QUOTE]

Yea, we're about 3 bottles of wine in so far and the meatballs were just placed on the stove to simmer (so dinner is like 3+ away)...

[quote name='asheskitty']The deals are all pre-negotiated so they have incentive to actually run them one way or another. In the Summer sale I recall seeing a bunch of voting-losers run as flash sales (also it was terribly recycled.)[/QUOTE]
There were actually a couple things in the summer sale that were put up for community votes and never came back as actual deals; can't remember exactly what but for some reason I want to say it was Capcom stuff. For the most part though, all the prices that have popped up and lost will be featured at some point during the sale.

Thanks Gabe, you ruined Christmas! :((

Ho Ho Ho mother truckers. If prices ain't to your liking, go check out your backlog and stfu and maybe play some of them!

[quote name='Genocidal']Plenty of people here and in the Amazon thread could do with a good punch to the throat. In order to not complain and cause more drama, it is up to each person to decide if they are deserving or not.[/QUOTE]
I don't care if I deserve it or not; if other people are getting a punch in the throat and I don't get one, there will be hell to pay :bomb:

[quote name='hbluft']The one thing that I have been waiting for a 75% off on Deus Ex(which has hit 75 so many times before), and nothing so far on Amazon or Steam. I feel the same way about the meh.[/QUOTE]
It was 75% off on GMG yesterday (and there was a 30% coupon that could be applied on top.)

[quote name='Commy']I know I missed a better deal a few days ago at GMG, but as someone that wants Batman: AC, should I just grab it now at $7.50 from Steam, or would it be likely that someone else will have a lower price than that in the next week?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has both Batman GOTY games for only $10. Can always sell/trade/giveaway the first one if you already have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-GOTY-Pack-Download/dp/B00APOVDKW?tag=cheapassgam08-20

[quote name='Genocidal']There were actually a couple things in the summer sale that were put up for community votes and never came back as actual deals; can't remember exactly what but for some reason I want to say it was Capcom stuff. For the most part though, all the prices that have popped up and lost will be featured at some point during the sale.[/QUOTE]

dead rising 2 off the record. the ONLY flash sale i missed. was 8 or 10 dollars.

[quote name='TheKbob']Still debating on Hotline Miami. Get it for $5 now or see about Amazon? ERGH! Choices :p[/QUOTE]

3.99 at Gamefly with the 20% code

[quote name='TheKbob']Still debating on Hotline Miami. Get it for $5 now or see about Amazon? ERGH! Choices :p[/QUOTE]

Wait for Amazon to have a deal in January. There will probably be a nice deal for it then, and it has a high chance of being a freebie if you have any $5 promo credit.

[quote name='G33']You're funny. I already had that discussion with sunghost, and consensus was that it was a glitch on my side.[/QUOTE]

There's no consensus. You never stated if you bought it. If you did you can provide screencaps. Until then...
malarkey1-600x399.jpg

[quote name='Genocidal']There were actually a couple things in the summer sale that were put up for community votes and never came back as actual deals; can't remember exactly what but for some reason I want to say it was Capcom stuff. For the most part though, all the prices that have popped up and lost will be featured at some point during the sale.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I remember not all the vote-losers got their time. I can't quite name what atm.

[quote name='travathian']Thanks Gabe, you ruined Christmas! :((

Ho Ho Ho mother truckers. If prices ain't to your liking, go check out your backlog and stfu and maybe play some of them![/QUOTE]

We mustn't discuss the deals on a thread devoted to discussing deals.

[quote name='travathian']If prices ain't to your liking, go check out your backlog and stfu and maybe play some of them![/QUOTE]

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Might actually get to play Company of Heroes so I'm poised to pick up the DLC for 75% off next time it rolls around :).

[quote name='deviousnaraku']Amazon has both Batman GOTY games for only $10. Can always sell/trade/giveaway the first one if you already have it.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-GOTY-Pack-Download/dp/B00APOVDKW?tag=cheapassgam08-20[/QUOTE]

Okay, so is the Arkham City GOTY in Amazon's $9.99 pack the exact same as what's on Steam at $7.49? Costume packs, etc?

Meh - Already platinumed the Asylum on PS3, I think I'll save the $2.50 and get it right off of Steam.

[quote name='ShadyAve']Deadlight is $7.49 right now. Does anyone think it will get cheaper, because I'm tempted to get it.[/QUOTE]

Cheaper this sale? Maybe. Cheaper eventually, well yeah, of course. It'll probably be $5 or less or in a bundle some day.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Representing the crusty old men who walked both ways in the snow to play Civ here. I won't say Civ II is objectively the best of the series but it's still my favorite.

Honestly, I don't get the dislike for Civ V, especially with Gods and Kings. Personally I'd rank the Civs II, V, IV, I, III. Best reason to play Civ V over Civ IV is that I have yet to have a spearman beat a panzer in Civ V which is something that happened all too frequently in every single previous version of Civ. Also the streamlined sea transport of units makes life so much more pleasant. Civ IV fixes the many many things wrong with III in my opinion, but Civ V fixes many of things that were wrong with Civ in general for me. It's far from a perfect game but I felt it was a good step in the right direction at least and I can't allow myself to play it if I have any plans in the next 24 hours.

Unrelated, how does Magic work these days? Last time I played a pc version was briefly with Magic On-Line. The Steam write up talks about 10 in game decks, but how do you get other cards, are they all unlocks or do you they have like DLC booster packs? Haven't played any Magic since like 6th Edition, so it would be nice to have a cheaper entry to play with some of the new rules and deck building strategies, but not sure how that's all been translated into the digital world.[/QUOTE]

I didn't see any replies to this post and I have comments on both your topics:

- Civ V: My wife and I pre-ordered it and bought it immediately on release day. Hell, my wife even bought a new computer so she could play it in all its glory. We installed it day one, started multiplayer, and immediately realized it was garbage. It's come a long way in the two years that it's been out. Civ V today is fine. Civ V two years ago left a bad taste in my mouth to where I have a hard time going back to it. Note that this is mainly multiplayer unhappiness. It got to the point where the 2k mods were editing previous 2k employees' posts that promised multiplayer fixes "in a few weeks" after the initial release.

- Magic is fine. 2012 allows you to edit out all cards from a deck, though there are stil the pre-constucted decks that you play with. Altogether, a much improved experience over the original Magic released in 2011 (or 2010?). Multiplayer is fun. Singleplayer is, too.

[quote name='kaydigi']How much is it usually? I was just about to pull the trigger.[/QUOTE]

The first 1/3rd is good, the next 2/3rds are a chore

Any lists of games that I should buy that are under advertised, appreciated, rated?Usually see some lists toward the end of the sale, but some keep a running list I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back