The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Teeheehee']Because it's impossible to enjoy the game as it was released.[/QUOTE]
When they basically they do the same game again, with more game modes and features, better balance and all(Super Street Fighter IV) and a owner of the original game has to buy the game again, it pisses me off a little. So yeah, Capcom will never see my money at launch.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Is the learning curve for Magic 12 really difficult for someone who has absolutely no experience in these kind of card games?[/QUOTE]

2012's tutorial is great. The game is super easy to pick up and learn.

[quote name='asheskitty']
Recall that the Civ IV improved greatly with the expansions. Civ IV today is much better regarded than Civ IV near release (though it did benefit from following after Civ III).[/QUOTE]

True, but IV didn't have multiplayer issues from the get-go. Civ IV's multiplayer was (and still is) a truly solid experience. Switching characters and mods are things that you can do in IV but still can't do in V.

[quote name='Motoki']Blablabla this is the worst sale EVER (until the next one) blablabla this sale sucks blablabla nothing for me because I'm like the center of the universe and feel the need to announce that like everyone needs to know blablabla

BAH HUMBUG TO YOU ALL!

Seriously though, can we stop complaining for one day because every single game we wanted isn't 75% right now and just be happy for one day?[/QUOTE]
Since I complained about the Sonic Franchise Bundle, I think this is a good idea. On this nice Holiday, I am thankful for my SEGA Classics Pack, which I bought on Amazon and activated on Steam.

I am thankful for Motoki warning me not to grab Hotline Miami until the "Best of 2012" Amazon promotion in January.
[quote name='The End']LOL @ Hats being a flash deal.[/QUOTE]
Dang it, and I just told Motoki I wouldn't.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']
Dang it, and I just told Motoki I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Virtual hats are a special exception. You can complain all you want about virtual hats. ;)

Actually, it's better just to laugh at the people buying them. It's basically like buying magic turnips in Farmville but for guys.

[quote name='asheskitty']They are not exactly the same genre, imo. I wouldn't compare Blades of Time to Darksiders either. That said DMC4 is a great game and its PC port is good. DMC and BoT are strictly about the straight up action.

If you like God of War or Blades of Time DMC4 is an easy recommend. If you like Darksiders there's a fair chance you'll like DMC4.[/QUOTE]

You're right. After my post I was reading a bit... and DS is more an adventure game. I don't think I'll be playing much of DMC4 (but I like the premise)... I was mostly thinking on one of my my sons, he loves fighting games.

I also read DMC4 was first a PC game, and THEN ported to consoles. Don't know if is true, but it looks GREAT

[quote name='juanjava']I'm looking at Devil May Cry 4... http://store.steampowered.com/app/45700/

According to videos, is an awesome game. Is better than Darksiders 2? (can get it around 8 for the full franchise with amazon coupon, but still didn't finished DS1). I know on GMG is around $5, but I don't know about the DRM and... is not steam[/QUOTE]

Point of fact about DMC4. You play through half the game as Nero, then you play through that same half in reverse as another character. That kind of annoyed me. Otherwise, it's still a solid DMC with all the same stylings as the other ones.

[quote name='Motoki']Virtual hats are a special exception. You can complain all you want about virtual hats. ;)

Actually, it's better just to laugh at the people buying them. It's basically like buying magic turnips in Farmville but for guys.[/QUOTE]
Hahaha, awesome. By the way, have any other titles been confirmed for Amazon's "Best of 2012" promotion? I'm looking forward to making use of my credits - I've accrued no less than three so far, and I may end up with another since I grabbed the "SEGA Genesis Classics Pack" earlier today.

Well went ahead and bit on Magic 2013 played a few rounds until my laptop crashed (be nice to get back home to a real computer). Seems to be a pretty solid simulation of Magic, though unlocking one card per match seems a little stingy, but I may be misunderstanding how that works. In any case, I'm most looking forward to being able to start putting together my own decks as that was always the real fun of the game for me anyways. Also I need to get used to some of the timing, used an instant to off a creature that decided to block my attack and even though it was dead it still counted as having blocked my creature. Otherwise though, well worth it if you want a digital Magic fix or a cheap way to get back into playing again. Though honestly from what I've read you'd probably be best off sticking with 2012 as 2013 doesn't sound like it adds enough to really be worth the extra cash, but probably wouldn't go wrong either way.

[quote name='Motoki']
titsq.jpg

Sorry, for some reason that stupid juvenile joke amuses me and doesn't get old.[/QUOTE]

And yet for starring in Anime she doesn't seem particularly well endowed. Maybe the casting director was nursing a hangover.

[quote name='juanjava']You're right. After my post I was reading a bit... and DS is more an adventure game. I don't think I'll be playing much of DMC4 (but I like the premise)... I was mostly thinking on one of my my sons, he loves fighting games.

I also read DMC4 was first a PC game, and THEN ported to consoles. Don't know if is true, but it looks GREAT[/QUOTE]

^_^ I just was trying to avoid confusion. I'm not sure, the PC release was 6 months after the PS3/360 release.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Point of fact about DMC4. You play through half the game as Nero, then you play through that same half in reverse as another character. That kind of annoyed me. Otherwise, it's still a solid DMC with all the same stylings as the other ones.[/QUOTE]

Well it's the only DMC on PCs. Well not true, DMC3 was released on PC a year(?) after the PS2 release, but the PC port was panned for not playing well on then high end PCs as well as having insanely swapping the left and right thumbsticks. I'm kinda curious if it would run okay on todays gaming PCs.

Also for the price, it's hard to go too wrong for a well regarded AAA game.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Hahaha, awesome. By the way, have any other titles been confirmed for Amazon's "Best of 2012" promotion? I'm looking forward to making use of my credits - I've accrued no less than three so far, and I may end up with another since I grabbed the "SEGA Genesis Classics Pack" earlier today.[/QUOTE]

There's a list of them here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_367683122_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1000728511

More may be added later though.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']In any case, I'm most looking forward to being able to start putting together my own decks as that was always the real fun of the game for me anyways. [/QUOTE]

I have the original Planeswalkers from the 90's, the 2011, 2012, and 2013 versions and enjoy them all - but I'm sorry to be the one to tell ya, none of the modern versions allow real deck building. The cards you unlock will mostly just boost your existing deck and make it "full power".

[quote name='MC Kage']Wasn't planning on getting DMC4 even for $4.74 but I might have to now...[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was tempting, but I hunted down a no-DVD patch so I don't need to shuffle around my retail release CD. I mean seriously, Shuffling around round bits of plastic is barbaric. Who do they think I am? A console peasant? I can report that DMC4 seems to be running just fine on 64-bit Win7 (though it should since it was released for DX10/vista)

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Is awesomenauts multiplayer only? The steam page is kind of unclear.[/QUOTE]
Can't say 100% for sure as I've only put a couple hours in with multi. But yeah the game is for multiplayer. I believe there is a practice mode that has bots (don't quote me on that).

[quote name='asheskitty']Also for the price, it's hard to go too wrong for a well regarded AAA game.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of surprised Gamestop seems to have the 360 version for $5 - but I think I'd rather have it on PC for more graphical polish and options.

[quote name='wuxbustah8']Is awesomenauts multiplayer only? The steam page is kind of unclear.[/QUOTE]
You can play against bots if you count that as single player.

Re: Awesomenauts.

The community is pretty lackluster, too, and there's basically no balance. A lot of times when you get put into a game you could be on a team with two other bots against a premade of friends.

[quote name='Lep']You can play against bots if you count that as single player.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mooby']Re: Awesomenauts.

The community is pretty lackluster, too, and there's basically no balance. A lot of times when you get put into a game you could be on a team with two other bots against a premade of friends.[/QUOTE]

Alright, alright.

*deletes post asking to get in on a 3 pack and waits for Awesomenauts to be bundle fodder*

I just figured it was the only -nauts game I don't have now and all. ;)

[quote name='rirath']I have the original Planeswalkers from the 90's, the 2011, 2012, and 2013 versions and enjoy them all - but I'm sorry to be the one to tell ya, none of the modern versions allow real deck building. The cards you unlock will mostly just boost your existing deck and make it "full power".[/QUOTE]

Ah well, that's a pity, least it's was relatively cheap and will give me the Magic fix I've been looking for without having to dig out all my old revised cards or dropping significantly more at the game shop.

Just a heads up, they appear to be removing the individual DLC for Batman: Arkham City. All the individual DLC's respective pages are still up, but you can't purchase them, and on their page, the GOTY version it bannered and is purchasable. I was hoping to pick up all the individual pieces of DLC for the base game, since the GOTY version is a separate Library entry, but that won't happen unless they go on sale elwhere like GamersGate. I get why they'd remove it (it was just recently on sale and the DLC came to being more than the GOTY version), but if they are removing the DLC, they should roll both games into one entry in the Library, and not leave it being incomplete and not updatable. I find this an odd move considering Steam's stance on not allowing games on their service that can't have all the DLC purchasable (unless grandfathered in like Bioshock 2). Does anyone know if the save games are cros-compatable between the base and BOTY editions>?

[quote name='asheskitty']Yeah that was tempting, but I hunted down a no-DVD patch so I don't need to shuffle around my retail release CD. I mean seriously, Shuffling around round bits of plastic is barbaric. Who do they think I am? A console peasant? I can report that DMC4 seems to be running just fine on 64-bit Win7 (though it should since it was released for DX10/vista)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've never really played a DMC thoroughly but I did play the hell outta God of War demos on PSP and other people's PS3's lol, I like a good hack 'n slash here and there. I don't know if I'll bite still.

& lmao I used to be a console peasant, but I do admit not having to download is convenient... anyways I have problems with my Star Wars Republic Commando DVD's, I have the discs and everything but I couldn't find the CD key...tried downloading a CD crack once and got a virus. Was done with that.

What are y'all planning to get from the Amazon Editor's Choice promotion?

I am not a 100% certain but did someone mention a certain game were an achievement could only be acquired on Christmas? (It might have been Psychonauts)

[quote name='Motoki']Alright, alright.

*deletes post asking to get in on a 3 pack and waits for Awesomenauts to be bundle fodder*

I just figured it was the only -nauts game I don't have now and all. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's not a bad game. It's quite fun in terms of gameplay/mechanics, it's just very much a multiplayer experience so if you're stuck with bad players/bots it ruins it. It's certainly worth $2ish but I figure I'll just hold out for a bundle.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Just a heads up, they appear to be removing the individual DLC for Batman: Arkham City. All the individual DLC's respective pages are still up, but you can't purchase them, and on their page, the GOTY version it bannered and is purchasable. I was hoping to pick up all the individual pieces of DLC for the base game, since the GOTY version is a separate Library entry, but that won't happen unless they go on sale elwhere like GamersGate. I get why they'd remove it (it was just recently on sale and the DLC came to being more than the GOTY version), but if they are removing the DLC, they should roll both games into one entry in the Library, and not leave it being incomplete and not updatable. I find this an odd move considering Steam's stance on not allowing games on their service that can't have all the DLC purchasable (unless grandfathered in like Bioshock 2). Does anyone know if the save games are cros-compatable between the base and BOTY editions>?[/QUOTE]
What "stance" are you talking about?

People who bought Dead Island and didn't get the DLC can't buy it anymore either. This isn't a one-time thing, someone did this on purpose, either Steam or the publisher.

New Runway pics! Yesterday's is quoted below. It got buried fast the I-haven't-got-my-Amazon-coupon-email threadraging last night. Sorry around the camera crosshairs. I experience is that the actual in game photos crushed a good bit of the details.

Fun Fact: Mission Runway uses the GameBryo engine (the same one that Morrowind and Oblivion)

Runway_4.jpg
Runway_4a.jpg
Runway_4b.jpg

[quote name='asheskitty']Thanks!

Runway_3.jpg
Runway_3a.jpg
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Charlie2688']I am not a 100% certain but did someone mention a certain game were an achievement could only be acquired on Christmas? (It might have been Psychonauts)[/QUOTE]

Costume Quest.

[quote name='asheskitty']Fun Fact: Mission Runway uses the GameBryo engine (the same one that Morrowind and Oblivion)
[/QUOTE]

And Skyrim too, albeit in that case it's a (supposedly) heavily modified Gamebryo.

I've actually been trying to see if there's a way to the ENB Series to work with Mission Runway but no luck so far. ;)

[quote name='walkonshadows']Just a heads up, they appear to be removing the individual DLC for Batman: Arkham City. All the individual DLC's respective pages are still up, but you can't purchase them, and on their page, the GOTY version it bannered and is purchasable. I was hoping to pick up all the individual pieces of DLC for the base game, since the GOTY version is a separate Library entry, but that won't happen unless they go on sale elwhere like GamersGate. I get why they'd remove it (it was just recently on sale and the DLC came to being more than the GOTY version), but if they are removing the DLC, they should roll both games into one entry in the Library, and not leave it being incomplete and not updatable. I find this an odd move considering Steam's stance on not allowing games on their service that can't have all the DLC purchasable (unless grandfathered in like Bioshock 2). Does anyone know if the save games are cros-compatable between the base and BOTY editions>?[/QUOTE]

what the fuck are you rambling on about?
get your ocd fixed and buy the game of the year version or don't get the dlc since it sucks anyway

[quote name='asheskitty']

Fun Fact: Mission Runway uses the GameBryo engine (the same one that Morrowind and Oblivion)

Runway_4.jpg
Runway_4a.jpg
Runway_4b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That can't be accurate.

All of their heads appear to be right side up.

[quote name='tham1988']what the fuck are you rambling on about?
get your ocd fixed and buy the game of the year version or don't get the dlc since it sucks anyway[/QUOTE]

I don't find this to be rambling.

I noticed this earlier as well and was upset to discover it, as I picked up the non-GOTY version in the Amazon sale in early November and was interested in picking up the Harley Quinn DLC at 75% off in this sale.

[quote name='Motoki']Hotline is going to be on Amazon's best of 2012 sale next month. It will be at least $5 then and quite possibly less at some point. [/QUOTE]
I dunno about less... Tony says that they won't price match Syndicate because, after coupon, it's cheaper than they were offering a few days ago.

If they keep that approach, it may not be PM'd or discounted at all.

[quote name='Motoki']There's a list of them here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_367683122_4?ie=UTF8&docId=1000728511

More may be added later though.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the list; I appreciate it.
[quote name='Motoki']Alright, alright.

I just figured it was the only -nauts game I don't have now and all. ;)[/QUOTE]
7183d1345779723-policenauts_front.jpg

It's not on Steam, but it's definitely one of the few "-nauts" games ever made. Admittedly, I imported the PSOne version back in the day, and I don't regret it. Relatively speaking, though, I enjoyed the Sega CD version of Snatcher more.

Shoite, I'm heading off-topic. How 'bout that Mission Runway?

[quote name='Charlie2688']I am not a 100% certain but did someone mention a certain game were an achievement could only be acquired on Christmas? (It might have been Psychonauts)[/QUOTE]

Cave Story has one.

[quote name='Detruire']I dunno about less... Tony says that they won't price match Syndicate because, after coupon, it's cheaper than they were offering a few days ago.

If they keep that approach, it may not be PM'd or discounted at all.[/QUOTE]

It's true but I figure there's no harm in waiting. At very least it won't be any more than $5. If it's still regular price on January 31 then maybe I'll just grab it then or maybe I'll wait and see if it gets bundled. Eh, we'll see.

$2.50 or less is insta buy though.

[quote name='Eldredpe']That can't be accurate.

All of their heads appear to be right side up.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they actually vaguely resemble human beings. No way that can be Gamebryo.

[quote name='Motoki']It's true but I figure there's no harm in waiting. At very least it won't be any more than $5. If it's still regular price on January 31 then maybe I'll just grab it then or maybe I'll wait and see if it gets bundled. Eh, we'll see.

$2.50 or less is insta buy though.[/QUOTE]
Definitely no harm in waiting. I'm just pointing it out that it's not looking likely. :whistle2:(

I bitched a couple pages back about how meh this sale was and what I say still stands. Amazon and GMG have been blowing away the things we've seen in this sale. Even Steam themselves have beat the majority of these sales prices in the past. I think we're just past the time when a Steam sale is a big deal now that there is more competition. It's a good thing, but it does take away from the excitement that there use to be around the sale.

[quote name='tham1988']what the fuck are you rambling on about?
get your ocd fixed and buy the game of the year version or don't get the dlc since it sucks anyway[/QUOTE]

A little much egg nogg? It's a perfectly valid point. The non-GOTY version of B:AC has more activations than the GOTY version.

[quote name='Motoki']It's true but I figure there's no harm in waiting. At very least it won't be any more than $5. If it's still regular price on January 31 then maybe I'll just grab it then or maybe I'll wait and see if it gets bundled. Eh, we'll see.

$2.50 or less is insta buy though.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget Tony's habit of mashing titles into bundles. I think Syndicate (2012) would be a good candidate for some shooter pack.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Ah well, that's a pity, least it's was relatively cheap and will give me the Magic fix I've been looking for without having to dig out all my old revised cards or dropping significantly more at the game shop.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, absolutely still worth it. It's basically like playing with pre-built theme decks, which I've never minded. Part of the reason I have 2011-2013 is that I've picked up each one on a different platform. 2011 on XBLA, 2012 on Steam, 2013 on iPad. Gives a lot of options as to where to play.

If you can dig up the old '90's version of the game, there's an actual deck editor there, though it doesn't work too well on modern systems admittedly. Also hard to come by these days, but perhaps try eBay. Includes thousands of cards to use, so possibly worth the time and trouble.

[quote name='Mighty Tor']Ah well, that's a pity, least it's was relatively cheap and will give me the Magic fix I've been looking for without having to dig out all my old revised cards or dropping significantly more at the game shop.[/QUOTE]

There is Magic Online, but the prices for that are not anywhere near CAG status.

They charge regular full price per pack, same price you'd pay for the real cardboard cards. They do run Booster Drafts and Sealed Deck tournaments on demand where you win booster packs and stuff, but you have to be real good at magic to even get it down to half price.

[quote name='AionTelos']Cave Story has one.[/QUOTE]
Costume Quest has one, as well: "Tisn't the Season."

[quote name='ctclements']I think we're just past the time when a Steam sale is a big deal now that there is more competition. It's a good thing, but it does take away from the excitement that there use to be around the sale.[/QUOTE]

You're not wrong per say, but I've still had a good sale. From Steam I've picked up RPG Maker VX Ace and DoW Franchise, which will certainly keep me busy. From Amazon the Batman GOTY pack, and from GMG Devil May Cry IV. $35 in software and $35 in games. I don't think we'd be seeing these amazing Amazon and GMG deals without Steam leading the way.

And both my Amazon and GMG purchase redeemed on Steam, so I'm thankful for that too.

[quote name='Motoki']And Skyrim too, albeit in that case it's a (supposedly) heavily modified Gamebryo.

I've actually been trying to see if there's a way to the ENB Series to work with Mission Runway but no luck so far. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I enjoyed that link.

[quote name='rirath']You're not wrong per say, but I've still had a good sale. From Steam I've picked up RPG Maker VX Ace and DoW Franchise, which will certainly keep me busy. From Amazon the Batman GOTY pack, and from GMG Devil May Cry IV. $35 in software and $35 in games. I don't think we'd be seeing these amazing Amazon and GMG deals without Steam leading the way.

And both my Amazon and GMG purchase redeemed on Steam, so I'm thankful for that too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Steam sales will still be good and people will still buy things, but I think more and more people will have the experience of looking at what's on sale on Steam and realizing they bought that from another site for the same price or less a couple weeks/months ago. That's how it's been for me. I use to load up on Steam sales, but now I buy things steadily throughout the year.

[quote name='ctclements']Yeah, Steam sales will still be good and people will still buy things, but I think more and more people will have the experience of looking at what's on sale on Steam and realizing they bought that from another site for the same price or less a couple weeks/months ago. That's how it's been for me. I use to load up on Steam sales, but now I buy things steadily throughout the year.[/QUOTE]

I honestly like it better this way. The spending a a crapload of money (what? Everyone doesn't buy hundreds of games at once? Who knew?) a couple of times a year with long dry spells isn't so great on the finances.

[quote name='Motoki']I honestly like it better this way. The spending a a crapload of money (what? Everyone doesn't buy hundreds of games at once? Who knew?) a couple of times a year with long dry spells isn't so great on the finances.[/QUOTE]

I prefer it this way as well, I generally only buy stuff that is 75% off because of my backlog and I still have years worth of games to play. It does take away from the WOW effect of refreshing a Steam page when new sales hit though.

[quote name='Motoki']I honestly like it better this way. The spending a a crapload of money (what? Everyone doesn't buy hundreds of games at once? Who knew?) a couple of times a year with long dry spells isn't so great on the finances.[/QUOTE]

As someone who only buys starter packs and cosmetic items for F2P games WITHOUT EXCEPTION, this sale has been a breath of fresh air.

Hats all around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back