The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
When the flash sales flipped, Thief was showing 40% and Home 50%, which was the cause of the frustration. They have normalized since then.

The BL1 story was total garbage and the ending was a big head-scratching WTF moment; the story in the sequel, though, is mostly great and I love the villain. He's hilariously dickish.

[quote name='Motoki']On a mostly unrelated, but hoping the Humble bonus gets added soon, note,

I finally watched Indie Game: The Movie last night. (On Netflix; not Steam)

The bearded dude with the wife and creepy cat was cool but the other 3 I just kept wishing someone would drop a refrigerator on.

What a bunch of self indulgent, narcissistic divas!

Reminds me of the modding community, except there was no pay and far less respect.

Why the hell did I do that again?[/QUOTE]
Almost forgot more games! My recap of the movie: blah blah blah Im making the best game ever made blah blah im an artist blah blah

[quote name='Motoki']On a mostly unrelated, but hoping the Humble bonus gets added soon, note,

I finally watched Indie Game: The Movie last night. (On Netflix; not Steam)

The bearded dude with the wife and creepy cat was cool but the other 3 I just kept wishing someone would drop a refrigerator on.

What a bunch of self indulgent, narcissistic divas!

Reminds me of the modding community, except there was no pay and far less respect.

Why the hell did I do that again?[/QUOTE]

Super Meat Boy devs: Likable and relatable

Braid devs: Your 10/10 rating is INSULTING...you don't understand the true masterpiece my game is!

Fez dev: I'm a sociopath with homicidal tendencies. How dare anybody demand anything of me. It will get done when it gets done!

[quote name='Motoki']re: RPGs should be more story focused and be on task vs giving you freedom and letting you wander.

It's an old, old argument and in my opinion both sides are correct but what we're really looking at is two distinct subgenres within the RPG genre and each may be appealing to some people and not to others.

In my opinion it's very difficlt to tell a good story and give the player lots and lots of freedom and be good about keeping them on task and not getting to distracted. When you put more emphasis in one area, the other seems to suffer a bit.[/QUOTE]
That's what I like about the Demon's/Dark Souls games, there's a basic story to keep you on track, but there is a deeper story told by the placement of objects, item descriptions, out-of-the-way NPC dialogue, etc. If you want to dig down into the story/mythology, the rabbit hole can go quite deep, but if you just want to have fun slashy, slashying stuff, the storytelling is not in your face.

I don't mind the openness of the Elder's scroll games, but I hated other aspects of the only one I played, Oblivion, such as the character leveling system, that enemies also level up with you, combat got pretty boring, and the game breaking bugs which they knew about but chose not to fix because they had already moved onto their next project (Vampire->human quest broken). I also appreciate the craftsmanship of a world 100% built from the ground up featuring no randomly generated dungeons which look so generic and will never be as perfectly balanced as a dungeon built from scratch.

[quote name='warreni']Oh, I had a semi-Steam-related question for folks. Are these compatible with Windows? http://www.amazon.com/Batarang-Cont...=1356539005&sr=1-16&keywords=xbox+360+windows[/QUOTE]
Side note. the Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows is going to be a lightning deal today at amazon at 1PM Pacific, it's $40 right now so it will probably be another $5-10 off of that.

Finally broke down and bought the Thief series for 6.74. I had passed on it the last few sales but this sale has been pretty weak so I felt OK buying it. Besides, I have no idea what happened to my Thief and Thief 2 discs.

[quote name='Motoki']I finally watched Indie Game: The Movie last night. (On Netflix; not Steam)

What a bunch of self indulgent, narcissistic divas!?[/QUOTE]
BROTHER! :grouphug: I finally found someone on CAG who hates that movie as much as me, I felt like I was going crazy being the only one.

[quote name='Motoki']I have Borderlands 1 GotY and haven't really touched it yet.[/QUOTE]

I just picked up Borderlands GOTY from Amazon. I'll gladly play it co-op with you. I've got a level 61 Commando on the Xbox 360 version, and level 50 Mechromancer and Gunzerker for BL2. I love those games.

[quote name='jshackles']Since you already have it, you really should play Borderlands 1. I have both, and I actually prefer the first one - way better menu system, story, etc etc. Skip BL2 unless you're a huge fan. I have about 55 hours on BL1, and love it. I pre-ordered BL2 (and the season pass) but I'm having a hard time getting into it.[/QUOTE]
Just wanted to give a small counterpoint as someone who's played both games in the series.

Borderlands 1 had pretty bad menu design; Borderlands 2 has slightly buggy menus, but with more options and much friendlier with UI and customizability from the get go.

Story is minimal in Borderlands 1 and focuses on funny characters with tons of oddball quests outside of the main quest arc, but some of the oddball quests devolve into annoying fetch quests and mass-random drop collecting. On the other hand, Borderlands 2 adapts what you know of Borderlands 1 and tries to add some more fleshed-out traits to many previous characters including the new ones. For the most part, BL2 has the Borderlands 1 style of questing with fewer prolonged/annoying quests and tighter voiceovers and character interaction. This is just a preference part, so whichever type you like is what you'll prefer.

Personally I feel like both games are worth enjoying, so I'd try them both (once they're at your pricepoint). I don't regret either purchase at all, but I do wish the BL2 DLC would get at least some discount. I'm missing some of the collector's DLC junk and my OCD's kicking in.

Also, Deadlight is probably worth playing but only at its max discount. They got too many things wrong just with the core game mechanics to recommend it even at 50% off (that's what I paid for it, beat it, and went "eh?").

So much hate on Indie Game: The Movie...

I loved it; remember, you don't have to personally like the people that make the games to enjoy said game.

[quote name='randomdud']Just wanted to give a small counterpoint as someone who's played both games in the series.

Borderlands 1 had pretty bad menu design; Borderlands 2 has slightly buggy menus, but with more options and much friendlier with UI and customizability from the get go.

Story is minimal in Borderlands 1 and focuses on funny characters with tons of oddball quests outside of the main quest arc, but some of the oddball quests devolve into annoying fetch quests and mass-random drop collecting. On the other hand, Borderlands 2 adapts what you know of Borderlands 1 and tries to add some more fleshed-out traits to many previous characters including the new ones. For the most part,BL2 has the Borderlands 1 style of questing with fewer prolonged/annoying quests and tighter voicovers and character interaction. This is just a preference part, so whichever type you like is what you'll prefer.

Personally I feel like both games are worth enjoying, so I'd try them both (once they're at your pricepoint). I don't regret either purchase at all, but I do wish the BL2 DLC would get at least some discount. I'm missing some of the collector's DLC junk and my OCD's kicking in.[/QUOTE]
didnt feel like reading it so here...

[quote name='bob_793']didnt feel like reading it so here...

[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Borderlands 2 is a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']Also, Deadlight is probably worth playing but only at its max discount. They got too many things wrong just with the core game mechanics to recommend it even at 50% off (that's what I paid for it, beat it, and went "eh?").[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree. I absolutely loved every aspect of the game save for the length. All of these side scrollers I really wish came with level editors/creators. Would extend these ~6 hour games out for much more than the base campaign.

[quote name='icedwarrior']So much hate on Indie Game: The Movie...

I loved it; remember, you don't have to personally like the people that make the games to enjoy said game.[/QUOTE]

The documentary was about the people and the process and not the games themselves. I think it's a fair assessment to give our feelings on the creators based on their own behavior on camera.

No one said anything negative about the actual games.

[quote name='bob_793']didnt feel like reading it so here...

[/QUOTE]

This sums up how I feel 90% of the time when I get in internet arguments.

I loved it; remember, you don't have to personally like the people that make the games to enjoy said game.[/QUOTE]

Watched it one morning in August and while it wasn't something I would recommend to someone, I did enjoy it quite a bit and don't regret checking it out. Guess it depends on your personal preference..

Didn't mean to create so much nerd rage here over Borderlands. Borderlands 2 seems cool, and I tossed $60 at it, so I'm sure I'll finish it. I've got about 12 hours in it so it's not terrible, I just don't like the menu as much as the first one.

so true, even though I really hated Phil Fish in the movie I still want to play Fez

[quote name='randomdud']For the most part, BL2 has the Borderlands 1 style of questing with fewer prolonged/annoying quests and tighter voiceovers and character interaction. This is just a preference part, so whichever type you like is what you'll prefer.[/QUOTE]

The percentage based damage in Borderlands 2 leads to more frustration for me than any quest in BL1 ever did. Enemies in playthrough two eating through a shield with 50,000 capacity as quickly as they can eat through a shield with 20,000 capacity causes me to nerd rage in my gentle heart.

Also the loot in BL2 is nowhere near as unqiue as the loot in BL1. I didn't find any shotguns that shoot rockets in BL2. Even looking up the weapons in the Borderlands wiki didn't reveal anything truly exciting. I remember getting the Tsunami off of Crawmerax, and calling my friends at one in the morning to brag (they don't need sleep, it's ok.) I never had that experience in BL2, and I have most of the legendaries.

Borderlands 2 definitely has a more in depth story, and it's definitely more polished. I'd argue that it feels much more like a AAA big studio game than the first Borderlands, but that polish cost it a lot of its charm.

That's just me.

[quote name='Dr. Feel Good']I disagree. Borderlands 2 is a very good game, but I think Donkey Kong is the best game ever.[/QUOTE]

Donkey Kong sucks!

[quote name='jshackles']Didn't mean to create so much nerd rage here over Borderlands.[/QUOTE]

It's this or doing actual work, and I'm still in Christmas vacation mode.

Played the heck out of BL1 and am near the end of my first playthrough of BL2...I had more fun with BL1 (cuz I had a coop buddy), but BL2 is a better overall game I think. I just dont have anyone to play coop with....

[quote name='Broken Cage']It's this or doing actual work, and I'm still in Christmas vacation mode.[/QUOTE]
Work..... Dont remind me what im supposed to be doing right now.

Tropico 4.....so on the fence...never played a Tropico before but love sim type games. To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.

I think I'm going to bite on Tropico 4. I have Simcity 4 but as others have mentioned it's a bit dated. Thanks for the info on the dlc, Motoki. I probably would have bought it otherwise.

I agree with the comments so far regarding Indie Game: The Movie. I loved Team Meat (especially the bearded fella) and felt like those guys really understood that their game wasn't an art piece but really a game that they wanted to play when they were younger. They made the game now because there was never a proper way in that day in age because of a lack of many indie game studios being given free reign on a project. I felt like this should be the mindset of indie game developers--to make something that they want to play while maintaining humility. With that being said, Jonathon Blow and Phil Fish were pretty much polar opposites.

While Braid may be amongst my favorite games of the past 10 years, I felt like Mr. Blow really is quite paranoid and delusional about his game. To come out and say that he is upset that many people don't understand his very personal game is just a little silly. If you make a game that is a reflection of who you are, you should expect misinterpretation and be open the idea that maybe someone is seeing things a little different than you.

Phil Fish was one of the most obnoxious people that have ever graced my screen. I loved Fez and do consider it one of the better indie games I have played. However, I just don't understand his methods of building attention to his game. Why would a developer promote a game based on a barely functioning prototype and then get upset when the majority of the internet complains about a lack of a release date and slowly starts abandoning the very idea of the project? You've only yourself to blame. I never felt any lick of sympathy for him.

I would watch the film again. The ending of seeing Super Meat Boy launch on XBLA and sell tons of copies and watching how it affected the creators and their families was quite a good feeling. Also, the soundtrack was incredible.

[quote name='jshackles']Didn't mean to create so much nerd rage here over Borderlands. Borderlands 2 seems cool, and I tossed $60 at it, so I'm sure I'll finish it. I've got about 12 hours in it so it's not terrible, I just don't like the menu as much as the first one.[/QUOTE]

Eh, it's the internet. Saying 'I like toast' is going to create nerdrage in someone somewhere.

[quote name='Broken Cage']It's this or doing actual work, and I'm still in Christmas vacation mode.[/QUOTE]

+1

[quote name='oman19']Tropico 4.....so on the fence...never played a Tropico before but love sim type games. To buy, or not to buy, that is the question.[/QUOTE]

Buy it. You know you want to. ;)

Seriously though, if you like Sim City style games and you don't have any of the older Tropico's sitting in your backlog then it's good buy.

[quote name='Motoki']Eh, it's the internet. Saying 'I like toast' is going to create nerdrage in someone somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Screw you and your toast you idiot! English muffins or death! *rawr*

Spec Ops: The Line - 66% off or $10.19
Sims 3 -66% off or $10.19
Legend of Grimrock - 75% off or $3.74
Walking Dead - 50% off or $12.49
Arma II - 50% off or $14.99
Natural Selection II - 60% off or $9.99

As the dailies today.

I just completed Spec Ops: The Line last night and consider it to be a major contender for my game of the year. Its rare that I've played a game with such an emotionally devastating storyline.

Any other recommendations for games that are as emotionally draining?

[quote name='bantheradio']Spec Ops: The Line - 66% off or $10.19
Sims 3 -66% off or $10.19
Legend of Grimrock - 75% off or $3.74
Walking Dead - 50% off or $12.49
Arma II - 50% off or $14.99
Natural Selection II - 60% off or $9.99

As the dailies today.[/QUOTE]

I thought these games were already dailies earlier in the week?

I resisted Sims 3 the first time... I don't know if I can do it again.

[quote name='travathian']Screw you and your toast you idiot! English muffins or death! *rawr*[/QUOTE]

You're a fool. You can put your dick through a bagel. What can you do with a muffin? Nuffin!

Toast and muffins. You people disgust me.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I thought these games were already dailies earlier in the week?

I resisted Sims 3 the first time... I don't know if I can do it again.[/QUOTE]
I think that all of these have been flash deals this week.

[quote name='travathian']Screw you and your toast you idiot! English muffins or death! *rawr*[/QUOTE]

Finally, a platform I can get behind.

only one thats tempting is the sims... that 19 cents doesnt divide evenly into 25$ so im pretty sure I can pass.
AND WOOOOO IM ON LUNCH BREAK!!!!! see you all in 45min to an hr

The only deal tempting me from todays dailys is Arma II, but it's not tempting enough. So I'll wait to see the new flash deals then likely grab tropico 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back