The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, I highly recommend Legend of Grimrock but there are plenty of extra Humble Bundle keys floating around for it so please ask CAGs before you spend money on it.

I bought Arma II for DayZ but couldn't manage to get it to run on either my gaming laptop or my desktop :whistle2:( Waste of money. (not this sale.. one of the amazon deals a while back)

Only thing I MIGHT consider is Grimlock but that price seems to be a standard sale. Nothing where I'm like OMG MUST BUY.

Wondering if we're not going to see a daily/flash for Trine. That'd be a shame.

Pondering if I'll FINALLY pick up my copies of Dead Space & Dead Space 2 on Steam. Have both on PS3, love the series SO MUCH, would love to get backup copies for my PC. Especially if they'll be playable on the upcoming Steam Console.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh and in before:

Is Arma II going to get cheaper? I just want it to play DayZ.

:p[/QUOTE]

i keep confusing WarZ with DayZ :roll:
dayZ must really be hating warZ for that

[quote name='Motoki']

Buy it. You know you want to. ;)

Seriously though, if you like Sim City style games and you don't have any of the older Tropico's sitting in your backlog then it's good buy.[/QUOTE]

Ugh you convinced me (didn't take much)...now do I jump now or wait for the complete pack as the next poster has suggested

[quote name='voken']Going to wait for a complete pack of Tropic 4, otherwise I would've totally got it[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am debating waiting on a complete pack as well but don't know if even that will be cheaper than what this is currently

I guess today could be considered the mid-sale 'best of' recap day that they usually do during their major sales. Possibly interested in the Sims 3 stuff for a friend, but I'll probably just pass along the sale info and let them pick and choose expansions. It's too bad that Steam hasn't made a "complete" Sims 3 bundle since 2010 or so.

[quote name='oman19']Yeah I am debating waiting on a complete pack as well but don't know if even that will be cheaper than what this is currently[/QUOTE]

If you're on the fence and just want to play some Tropico, pick up Tropico 3: Gold Edition for $3.75 and wait for Tropico 4 to get bundled in a complete collection. If you wait a year, I'm sure that Tropico 3 now and Tropico 4 later will cost you less than Tropico 4 and all the DLC now, if Tropico 3 can hold you over until then.

The thing with Grimrock is, while the game itself is a lot of fun, have you guys SEEN that editor that's now available with Workshop support? You can make a whole different dungeon-crawler with that thing! Not only is it dead simple to click out a dungeon map - you can replace textures, add your own objects, spells, weapons, even new monsters.

I'm floored by how far and beyond they took it.

[quote name='Palinn']Woo! That is an awesome deal. Wake up Australia! :applause:[/QUOTE]

Seriously. Take a minute to stop eating your Vegemite Australians and help a poor American out.

[quote name='rirath']The thing with Grimrock is, while the game itself is a lot of fun, have you guys SEEN that editor that's now available with Workshop support? You can make a whole different dungeon-crawler with that thing! Not only is it dead simple to click out a dungeon map - you can replace textures, add your own objects, spells, weapons, even new monsters.

I'm floored by how far and beyond they took it.[/QUOTE]

That actually sounds really cool. Maybe one of these days I'll get off my lazy but and do something with it.

Since most people seemed underwhelmed by the dailies today and see it is a mid-sale recap day, how bout we do a mid sale recap of our purchases?

So far:

Krater - very happy to see this hit the 75% or less price point and am looking forward to playing it.

And that's it, mostly because HiB probably covered my impulse, indie game buy fix :)

[quote name='Motoki']Seriously. Take a minute to stop eating your Vegemite Australians and help a poor American out.[/QUOTE]

When will people learn that my priorities are their priorities!

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Anyone getting Sims 3 Supernatural or Seasons grab them from Origin, they're the same price and come with bonus content.[/QUOTE]

If you get them on Steam you can still register them on thesims3.com and get the bonus content. I did. Also they will show up on your Origin account once you register them on thesims3.com.

To me it's the best of both worlds because I get them on Steam and get one unified download instead of the 'install this pack in this order, then that one in that, then apply this patch but make sure it's the one that updates from version 456 and not the one that updates from 123, etc etc'. but I still have them on Origin as a backup.

[quote name='G33']I guess today could be considered the mid-sale 'best of' recap day that they usually do during their major sales. Possibly interested in the Sims 3 stuff for a friend, but I'll probably just pass along the sale info and let them pick and choose expansions. It's too bad that Steam hasn't made a "complete" Sims 3 bundle since 2010 or so.

If you're on the fence and just want to play some Tropico, pick up Tropico 3: Gold Edition for $3.75 and wait for Tropico 4 to get bundled in a complete collection. If you wait a year, I'm sure that Tropico 3 now and Tropico 4 later will cost you less than Tropico 4 and all the DLC now, if Tropico 3 can hold you over until then.[/QUOTE]

Eh with my backlog your probably right. I need to start having more discipline to wait for complete editions. I guess I'll start now. Off to the wishlist you go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Indie Game: The Movie, team meat were definitely the highlight but the skinny guy's Forever Alone deal and constant fretting was a little tiresome compared to his more, enjoying the moment, partner. Fish and Blow are well documented insufferable personalities and that comes through pretty well in the film. I will say I did kind of resent the film for giving me a modicum of sympathy for Fish because it seems his former partner was an even bigger d-bag than he is.

Grimrock is an easy recommendation at that price. Picked it up over the summer when it was 6 or 7 and it was well worth it at that price. Gave my spare bundle key to a friend who is super picky about games, not the most easy to keep engaged, and doesn't spend much time on his PC. Even with 2 kids and the holidays he's managed to find over 8 hours to put into it already, which for me rings as a strong endorsement of the game.

For the rest of the dailies, rabble rabble end of Steam as we know it... end of all sales being worthwhile... Gabe trollin'... everything is cheaper everywhere... everything was better years ago... (Do I fit in now?)

I just picked up two copies of Sims 3... I don't even care anymore. I give up. I can't stop buying games.

So, do you have to have an EA account to play Sims 3? My girlfriend isn't exactly computer oriented (thus the reason I waste hundreds buying her video games), and having to set up an account might send her running.

Edit: Oh, one game away from 200 steam titles. Go me.

[quote name='Motoki']If you get them on Steam you can still register them on thesims3.com and get the bonus content. I did. Also they will show up on your Origin account once you register them on thesims3.com.

To me it's the best of both worlds because I get them on Steam and get one unified download instead of the 'install this pack in this order, then that one in that, then apply this patch but make sure it's the one that updates from version 456 and not the one that updates from 123, etc etc'. but I still have them on Origin as a backup.[/QUOTE]
Hmmmm, I did not know this

So does this work for all online retailers like Steam, Amazon?

Just take your key, put it in Origin, and get your extras?

[quote name='Broken Cage']I just picked up two copies of Sims 3... I don't even care anymore. I give up. I can't stop buying games.

So, do you have to have an EA account to play Sims 3? My girlfriend isn't exactly computer oriented (thus the reason I waste hundreds buying her video games), and having to set up an account might send her running.

Edit: Oh, one game away from 200 steam titles. Go me.[/QUOTE]

Welcome to my world. I'm going to stop buying this tim...OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT DEAL!!

Ahem.

I think you can play the Sims without an EA account but you lose some of the 'connected' features like the microtransaction store (oh joy), sending you sim on tour to a friend's Facebook Sims account, getting the extra bonus junk and having Origin backups.

If you are fine with not having that it should just run straight from Steam as far as I can tell.

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Hmmmm, I did not know this

So does this work for all online retailers like Steam, Amazon?

Just take your key, put it in Origin, and get your extras?[/QUOTE]

I believe so. I mean if they do it for their arch-nemesis I'd imagine they do it for everyone else.

[quote name='Motoki']If you get them on Steam you can still register them on thesims3.com and get the bonus content. I did. Also they will show up on your Origin account once you register them on thesims3.com.

To me it's the best of both worlds because I get them on Steam and get one unified download instead of the 'install this pack in this order, then that one in that, then apply this patch but make sure it's the one that updates from version 456 and not the one that updates from 123, etc etc'. but I still have them on Origin as a backup.[/QUOTE]

I have a bunch of Sims games on Origin. Wish I could activate them all on Steam. :(

[quote name='Broken Cage']I just picked up two copies of Sims 3... I don't even care anymore. I give up. I can't stop buying games.

Edit: Oh, one game away from 200 steam titles. Go me.[/QUOTE]

My girlfriend is pretty much the same (and a Sims fiend).
I think Sims 3 will work in a ton of different ways. My girlfriend registers everything on Origin and downloads them from there, then just launches them normally.
Her friend buys them all retail and actually didn't know what Origin was when my girlfriend was going to gift her an expansion.

I think it pretty much just works however you try to run it. Just be prepared if she's not very computer savvy when things go wrong like neighborhoods disappearing and houses turning invisible lol.

Also, does anyone have experience with The Walking Dead?
I played part of Ep. 1 on my iPad and really enjoyed it, but I'm worried about all of the save bugs that seem to still be around.
Is this unique to the PC version? I have no qualms about playing it on a tablet instead and the price isn't much different.

[quote name='appar3ntly']Also, does anyone have experience with The Walking Dead?
I played part of Ep. 1 on my iPad and really enjoyed it, but I'm worried about all of the save bugs that seem to still be around.
Is this unique to the PC version? I have no qualms about playing it on a tablet instead and the price isn't much different.[/QUOTE]

Heard about this, never happened to me though. I played each episode in one sitting when they came out and didn't touch the game until the next episode, my save was still there every time. Don't think it's that common of an issue, but what the hell do I know.

[quote name='icedwarrior']So much hate on Indie Game: The Movie...

I loved it; remember, you don't have to personally like the people that make the games to enjoy said game.[/QUOTE]
Right, but it doesn't mean you have to enjoy watching an hour and a half puff piece for said game makers either.

[quote name='Heavenlywind']I have the base game on origins and I wanted to get one or two of the expansions. Can anyone recommend the good ones :).[/QUOTE]

I like Ambitions and Showtime because they let you play actual careers instead of just having your sim go off in a car and dissappear while 'at work'.

If you have kids (or child-like adults) they seem to go completely BONKERS over pets, but they are just shorter, furrier sims with much more limited interactions as far as I'm concerned
but I'm an addict so I bought it anyway :p

Also if you own the base on Origin and/or retail or otherwise outside of Steam do not buy the expansions from Steam. They will not work.

Anyway, non-Steam Sims 3 stuff goes on sale WAAAAY more often than the Steam version so you shouldn't have much trouble getting a deal on it.

Semi off topic...I need to purchase an additional hardddrive. Any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards a terabyte drive...but don't know brands. I have an SSD drive as my OS drive (with enough room to transfer a couple Steam games over) and a 500Gb media drive that is full of Steam games now lol....gonna get 3rd drive (prob a 2.5" drive?) for games so the 500Gb drive can go back to being my "Libraries" drive.

The idea is to use Steam Mover to have my top 2 or 3 games played on an SSD for load times and have everything else on a secondary "games drive".

[quote name='starscream1101']Semi off topic...I need to purchase an additional hardddrive. Any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards a terabyte drive...but don't know brands. I have an SSD drive as my OS drive (with enough room to transfer a couple Steam games over) and a 500Gb media drive that is full of Steam games now lol....gonna get 3rd drive (prob a 2.5" drive?) for games so the 500Gb drive can go back to being my "Libraries" drive.

The idea is to use Steam Mover to have my top 2 or 3 games played on an SSD for load times and have everything else on a secondary "games drive".[/QUOTE]

I'd just go for 2TB. You may think you can't fill up a TB, but you will. I got a 2TB Western Digital hard drive at around $110.00 a year ago for my gaming PC, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with it.

Edit: and since you're using it as storage for Steam games, if something does go wrong, you can always redownload the games.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'd just go for 2TB. You may think you can't fill up a TB, but you will. I got a 2TB Western Digital hard drive at around $110.00 a year ago for my gaming PC, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with it.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad price...as I'm looking at the $100ish price mark :D I'll look around.

*sigh* I have all the sims expansions but Supernatural and Seasons but the price is always so Blaaaaaaahhhhh, but it's so tempting ;_;

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Since most people seemed underwhelmed by the dailies today and see it is a mid-sale recap day, how bout we do a mid sale recap of our purchases[/QUOTE]

Arma 2 Combined Ops: 14.99
SpaceChem: 0.75
Bethesda Pack: 21.28 (I bought 3, and sold two off, leaving me spending this.)
Prince of Persia Pack: 12.24
The Mawesome Pack: 2.99
Zombie Driver HD: 2.49
Introversion Complete Pack: 4.99
Dawn of War Franchise: $8
Dragon Age Origins UE: 7.49
Cthulu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII: 0.99
Saints Row 3 Complete: 7.49
Half Life Complete: 9.99
Dead Rising 2 Pack: 9.99

Traded Fallout 3 + New Vegas for Trine 2, KotOR 2, and Fear Ultimate Shooter.

Total of 103.68 so far, almost triple what I've ever spent on a sale before... Wow.

The two newer Sims expansions should go below 50% eventually but it might be a long time. Like maybe not until Summer.

I'm not sure the rest will ever go down to 75% again on Steam. They were once or twice but it seems like now this being the big sale and all that maybe 66% off on Steam is as far as EA is willing to go.

The Sims games hardly ever go on sale on Steam, basically just the two big sales and maybe a weekend or mid week deal once or twice.

Bethesda Pack x2 @GamersGate (sold one Skyrim key)
Sleeping Dogs @ GMG
Spec Ops: The Line @Amazon (sold Bioshock 1/2)
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri @GOG

So far I've just gotten:

Critter Crunch $1.74
Saints Row the Third Full Package $7.49 (already had the base game but figured it was a fair price for the DLC... then of course, I find out about the coupons on Amazon)
Darksiders Franchise Pack from Amazon $8.19, thanks to the THQ coupon
Ace of Spades $0 (gifted to me by a friend)
Sleeping Dogs $11.90 from GMG

Bought an extra copy of SR3 for my sister so that's another $7.49 there.

So far, this sale has been really lackluster for me. I would love to get the Borderlands 2 DLC but it's not even on sale and barely has been, so I can wait. I'll just entertain myself with SR3 and Sleeping Dogs.

I was tempted by I Am Alive and Deadlight but I decided I can wait for those to be cheaper.

[quote name='Broken Cage']I'd just go for 2TB. You may think you can't fill up a TB, but you will.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I just re-started PC gaming this summer. I just rebuilt my primary rig earlier this month with a fresh 1TB HDD for games only and have 338GB out of 931GB and still have about 20-30 games I haven't installed. I'm already prepping a 2TB drive to be imaged...

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']

Since most people seemed underwhelmed by the dailies today and see it is a mid-sale recap day, how bout we do a mid sale recap of our purchases?

[/QUOTE]

Just stuff I bought on Steam:

Crossacks and American Conquest Pack
Ys The Oath in Felghana
Ys Origin
Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
EndWar
Anno 2070 Deep Ocean
Armor 2 Combined Ops
Rayman Origins
Natural Selection 2
Chivalry Medieval Warfare
Skyrim Dawnguard
They Bleed Pixels
Ace of Spades

I think that was it

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']
[/QUOTE]

Unmechanical
/endlist

Just the Steam stuff:
Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Towns
Magic 2013 Deck Pack 2
Wanderlust: Rebirth
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']how bout we do a mid sale recap of our purchases?[/QUOTE]

Disclaimer: If you find a stupid purchase that I made, shush up about it. I'm an addict, and I cannot be held responsible for my actions.

For me:
The Sims 3
Tropico 4
Thief Bundle 2012
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Awesomenauts 3 pack
Tomb Raider Collection
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Call of Duty Warchest
Velvet Assassin
Commandos 2 - Men of Courage
Flatout Complete Pack