The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally bit on Hotline Miami... yea, $5 for a rompin' good time. Got impatient to wait for Amazon. If I can get it for free with my $5 coupon, then I'll just gift a copy to someone to share the love :p

The music is boss!

[quote name='Terlan']Man, doesn't look like any other Assassins creed games are getting the 75% discount. :/[/QUOTE]

I was really hoping that Brotherhood would drop. I know I can get it for $5 from Amazon, but I have Steam credit that I'd rather user. Same goes with the Lego games.

[quote name='DirkBelig']This is because Steam is reflective of Valve which is embodied by Gabe "When's lunch? I haven't eaten in minutes!" Newell, the fat f*cking liar who believes that he and his companies can coast on long-ago glories forever. While Amazon has T-Money Tony LIVING HERE seemingly 24/7, posting all through Christmas Day and night, and delivering killer deals, Steam/Valve/Gabe are content to offer a small smattering of titles at lackluster discounts with the expectation the suckers will just cough up because they hate EA/Origin more than they dislike getting bent over by Steam. They've become fat, lazy, entitled and apathetic. As terrible as last Christmas' Coalfest was, at least we were engaged and trying to win something for playing games. This year it's nothing but lousy "deals" and the money is staying in our pockets or going to GOG, GMG, Amazon, anywhere but Steam.[/QUOTE]

This makes me laugh. Ill have to link to this to my buddy who gets a similar message from me prior to every steam sale in the last year or so in anticipation of reading exactly this a dozen times in gaming forums.
too good.

[quote name='Tsel']So this is a key feature now? Taken directly from the Little Inferno store page. Oh boy, this game is indie! I definitely want to buy it now![/QUOTE]

To be fair, two of those guys are responsible for World of Goo, one of the best indie games in recent years, and the other guy created Henry Hatsworth, one of the best DS games. Letting those three guys work together without any oversight was certainly a feature in my eyes, and one of the reasons I'll definitely purchase it if it wins the community vote.

Gonna sleep on the sniper ghost warrior. Yeah it's just $2, but even at $2 I don't know if its worth it as I'm not sure I'd play it. If anyone gives it a go between now and morning, leave feed back please.

First time on sale "Hmm, Sniper:ghost Warrior...looks interesting...$14.99? Nah
Second sale "Hey, Sniper:Ghost Warrior again....$9.99...naaah
Third time on sale "Sniper:ghost Warrior $4.99...ehhhh nah
2012 Winter sale "Sniper:Ghost Warrior $1.99?! Wow, maybe I'll... Nah

For anyone on the fence on Sniper: Ghost Warrior:

I played this in the middle of a few months where I went totally mad for Xbox Live achievement points. I made it through some pretty bad, embarrassing, and hard games to get achievements. I could not STAND this game. I would not recommend for 50 cents. A better use of the two dollars would be to buy Secret of the Magic Crystals or roll it into a tube and snort battery acid.

Then again, some people enjoy it.

Played some Mark of the Ninja. I don't know why I don't care for that game since I love stealth games and 2D platformers, but I do. I guess it's because the game scores you on how you completed the level and I feel like it always wants you to fucking perfect the level how the devs want you to because if you get caught, the deduct points.

in for ghost warrior. I do believe it has been patched since original release, so it should be slightly better and all the guards might no longer have eagle eye laser vision. But in the end, it's a semi-stealth sniper game. Shoot bullets across maps and stuff. And for 2 bucks? I'd say give it a go.

[quote name='DrummerX']First time on sale "Hmm, Sniper:ghost Warrior...looks interesting...$14.99? Nah
Second sale "Hey, Sniper:Ghost Warrior again....$9.99...naaah
Third time on sale "Sniper:ghost Warrior $4.99...ehhhh nah
2012 Winter sale "Sniper:Ghost Warrior $1.99?! Wow, maybe I'll... Nah[/QUOTE]

lol

Pretty much my thoughts on it.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Played some Mark of the Ninja. I don't know why I don't care for that game since I love stealth games and 2D platformers, but I do. I guess it's because the game scores you on how you completed the level and I feel like it always wants you to fucking perfect the level how the devs want you to because if you get caught, the deduct points.[/QUOTE]

So don't pay attention to the score at the end of the level? I mean, if you left that out, would the gameplay be enjoyable?

The scores pretty much only affect your earning honor at the end of the level. And it is incredibly easy to earn all three honor from points each level for the most part.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']So don't pay attention to the score at the end of the level? I mean, if you left that out, would the gameplay be enjoyable?[/QUOTE]
It would be but then again I guess I would want to get the a good score to get more money for upgrades.

So the trailers on little inferno told me nothing, so I looked up gameplay videos, and yep, you buy things and burn things, that's about it, the gameplay is not deeper than that. Once you burn enough stuff, the ending of the game happens and that's it.

I'm only a few levels into Mark of the Ninja but it feels like the super-stealth-no-kills runs will only happen on a subsequent playthrough of the level once you know the layout. (or on accident with some skill and/or luck)

I'm not big on stealth games but I'm digging it...then again perhaps that's why I'm diggin it.

[quote name='Blade']So, most of my purchases for Steam this holiday season have been from third-party sites. Whenever I check Steam, I get a little discouraged at the higher prices and recycled deals.

I'm beginning to wonder whether or not buying cheaper from Amazon and GG is hurting Valve enough so that they're having some financial troubles. I mean, we don't pay them directly, we just use their client to download our games. I would laugh if people buying Steam games from places other than Steam caused the service to go bankrupt. We wouldn't have much to show for our money.[/QUOTE]

Uh, don't start donating your used blankets to Gabe just yet. They are doing just fine.

I think people forget that this CAG microcosm isn't the entire universe. If they weren't doing well with their current pricing, they'd change it. If Steamworks was hurting them and not serving their needs, they'd change it.

Millions and millions of people use Steam but only a small minority obsess over deals to the extremes that we do here sometimes.

I think the more casual user buys less games but is okay with paying (somewhat) more. I mean my sister pretty much only buys games specifically if she or the kids want them and intend to play that right away. She doesn't buy everything under the sun that I do because it's cheap.

Sometimes she we tell me she got such and such game and I'll be all 'WHAT?!? You totally could have got that cheaper OMG!' but she just says she doesn't have time to follow all the deals and is fine with the price she paid for it.

I'm sure that makes some people's heads explode here but it's another way of looking at things and it's valid too. If something is there and convenient on the client you are already using anyway and you know you will play it and think the price is fair enough, that's okay. Not everyone is going to have to get the absolute cheapest price EVAR or rage about it when they don't.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Played some Mark of the Ninja. I don't know why I don't care for that game since I love stealth games and 2D platformers, but I do. I guess it's because the game scores you on how you completed the level and I feel like it always wants you to fucking perfect the level how the devs want you to because if you get caught, the deduct points.[/QUOTE]

It's the Angry Birds effect. Oh you completed the level
BUT YOU ONLY GOT ONE STAR YOU SUCK!! PLAY IT AGAIN!!!

[quote name='guardian_owl']So the trailers on little inferno told me nothing, so I looked up gameplay videos, and yep, you buy things and burn things, that's about it, the gameplay is not deeper than that. Once you burn enough stuff, the ending of the game happens and that's it.[/QUOTE]

Little Inferno is more of a preachy morality play than a game -- the ultimate message is that people are wasting their lives playing video games and achievement farming. Not kidding.

Spoilers in the video, obviously:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nwRCW-tJU

For anyone purchasing games elsewhere due to Steam's lackluster deals: How many of those purchases are still for Steam keys?

I'm about 75% elsewhere and 25% directly via Steam but they've all been Steam keys.

(I'm talking purely digital downloads of course)

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']For anyone purchasing games elsewhere due to Steam's lackluster deals: How many of those purchases are still for Steam keys?

I'm about 75% elsewhere and 25% directly via Steam but they've all been Steam keys.

(I'm talking purely digital downloads of course)[/QUOTE]

All of them for me. Got games at Amazon, GMG, and GG. All steam games.

Stop worrying about the scores and just play it through. They change play styles as you change enemies later and you get suits that change play styles. I don't pay with the regular suit much anymore. I enjoy the suit that makes all stealth kills successful and I race through the levels killing everything or I use the suit that's silent a do run throughs quick as I can without being spotted. Its one of those games that gets better as you experiment with what you like

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']For anyone purchasing games elsewhere due to Steam's lackluster deals: How many of those purchases are still for Steam keys?

(I'm talking purely digital downloads of course)[/QUOTE]
I been about 80% Steam 20% other (if you count games as one package), and I actually bought a game with no Steam codes.

Granted it's that D&D Anthology with Baluder's Gate.

[quote name='Tsel']As long as it's not super indie/obvious bundle fodder, I'll pretty much buy any game that's $2.[/QUOTE]

Uh not to be a smartass but doesn't that description pretty much cover about 80% of the games you can buy for $2?

total tally so far

Amazon
2.49 for Saints Row The Third Full package
(actually just got all the dlc out of this, already had base game)

Steam

Total: $2.49

Might miss out on the badge crap this time.
Wow... I've been spoiled all year. :booty:

[quote name='Motoki']Uh not to be a smartass but doesn't that description pretty much cover about 80% of the games you can buy for $2?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how to explain it any better, but I'm not sure I'm getting my point across. Most of the $2 games on Steam seem like bundle fodder, shovelware, flash games, etc whereas Sniper was a full-fledged release, on consoles and everything. I guess that's what I'm trying to say, I don't know.

[quote name='Motoki']I think people forget that this CAG microcosm isn't the entire universe. If they weren't doing well with their current pricing, they'd change it. If Steamworks was hurting them and not serving their needs, they'd change it.[/QUOTE]

I think this is what's on my mind. Both summer and winter sales last year had prizes, I'm sure we all remember that. I'm thinking 2010 had some sort of event for both major sales, too. When comparing years, they have changed their event layout to straight deals, without any free prizes. It denotes a lack of surplus to me, and the higher, recycled prices are a stark contrast to conventional marketing competitiveness in lieu of the increasing number of digital distributors. If I were a Valve employee, I'd be questioning the strategies involved with letting Amazon infringe upon the digital gaming territory with comparably amazing sales, not only on games in general but on products people can use Steam's servers for. Disintermediation notwithstanding, I think it's questionable if I'll even have my Steam games for the next five years.

Or maybe I read into things too much, and I'm just disappointed that I can't get free games. :p

[quote name='Motoki']Uh oh, huge gaudy colored fonts are spreading from the Amazon thread apparently. :p[/QUOTE]

Colored fonts huh? ;)

Also, I totally miss the contests and free stuff and so on but ya know what? Assholes ruined a lot of that for everyone else.(it was all $0.01 Humble Bundles, Steam codes, free email accounts, and gifts and coal, gifts and coal...yes it was flawed and dumb but there's no wonder that policies changed during/after)

[quote name='Motoki']Uh oh, huge gaudy colored fonts are spreading from the Amazon thread apparently. :p[/QUOTE]

Give children matches, some will go light fires.

[quote name='Blade']I think this is what's on my mind. Both summer and winter sales last year had prizes, I'm sure we all remember that. I'm thinking 2010 had some sort of event for both major sales, too. When comparing years, they have changed their event layout to straight deals, without any free prizes. It denotes a lack of surplus to me, and the higher, recycled prices are a stark contrast to conventional marketing competitiveness in lieu of the increasing number of digital distributors. If I were a Valve employee, I'd be questioning the strategies involved with letting Amazon infringe upon the digital gaming territory with comparably amazing sales, not only on games in general but on products people can use Steam's servers for. Disintermediation notwithstanding, I think it's questionable if I'll even have my Steam games for the next five years.

Or maybe I read into things too much, and I'm just disappointed that I can't get free games. :p[/QUOTE]

Valve has an economist on payroll. Trust me, they know what they are doing.

And Amazon as a PC digital download retailer is slim pickins beyond the deal sites microcosms. Most regular people I know and happen to talk to about games have heard of Steam but don't know that Amazon sells digital games.

If anything, I think Amazon is ironically (or intentionally?) a bigger deal among non-US types because most of the chatter I see about Amazon DD on other sites is from non-US people. I know there's been a lot of rage about regional pricing for years and it's so laughably easy to fake your way through with false info that they don't bother to verify at all at Amazon vs having to jump through a lot of hoops at Steam messing with IPs and risking a ban.

But anyway, seriously I wouldn't worry about Valve.

Maybe if I wait awhile. Amazon will add Sonic Adventure DX 2 and Nights into Dreams to their Dreamcast pack. Thoughts?
Yeah I'm gonna wait till they add those. 5$ is a bit steep as it is. Here's the bundle I want.

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Crazy Taxi
Nights into Dreams
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel
5$.

I have 0 interest in Sega Bass Fishing.
Bought that Sega Classics Pack. 100% regret on that one. I wanted to show my friends that I was playing Sonic.
I'll just pull out the gamecube if I *really* want to play Sonic Adventure 2.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Maybe if I wait awhile. Amazon will add Sonic Adventure DX 2 and Nights into Dreams to their Dreamcast pack. Thoughts?
Yeah I'm gonna wait till they add those. 5$ is a bit steep as it is.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Sonic Adventure 2 will be added, but Nights into Dreams has absolutely nothing to do with Dreamcast.. it was a Saturn game. Would be odd for them to add it.

You're right. Nights into Dreams was a Saturn game. I stand corrected.
I'd pick up more Sims 3 expansions, but they are still too pricey for me. But its never enough for me to just play Sims 3 knowing there is all that extra content. By the balls.

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']
Bought that Sega Classics Pack. 100% regret on that one.
[/QUOTE]

My last couple of days have been XCOM and Sega Classics. Sorry that it didn't scratch that itch...but yeah emulation.:D

[quote name='Motoki']Valve has an economist on payroll. Trust me, they know what they are doing.

And Amazon as a PC digital download retailer is slim pickins beyond the deal sites microcosms. Most regular people I know and happen to talk to about games have heard of Steam but don't know that Amazon sells digital games.

If anything, I think Amazon is ironically (or intentionally?) a bigger deal among non-US types because most of the chatter I see about Amazon DD on other sites is from non-US people. I know there's been a lot of rage about regional pricing for years and it's so laughably easy to fake your way through with false info that they don't bother to verify at all at Amazon vs having to jump through a lot of hoops at Steam messing with IPs and risking a ban.

But anyway, seriously I wouldn't worry about Valve.[/QUOTE]

The have an economist from Greece.

That's like having a judge from Russia.

[quote name='sunasun']total tally so far

Amazon
2.49 for Saints Row The Third Full package
(actually just got all the dlc out of this, already had base game)

Steam

Total: $2.49

Might miss out on the badge crap this time.
Wow... I've been spoiled all year. :booty:[/QUOTE]

when was this 2.49? looks like it was on sale yesterday and today for $12.49. that looks like a bundle i would pay 5 bucks for but definitely not 12.49 for

[quote name='dracula']when was this 2.49? looks like it was on sale yesterday and today for $12.49. that looks like a bundle i would pay 5 bucks for but definitely not 12.49 for[/QUOTE]

On Christmas day there was a brief window of time where Amazon price matched Steam's sale price of $7.50 for SR3 Full Package. At the time, they also had a promotion going on where if you had bought a THQ game from amazon within the previous year, you would get a $5 off coupon to use on Christmas on a THQ game. When you stacked the two, you could get the game for $2.50.

It was only possible to stack the two deals for about 11 hours.

i have been visiting relatives and not paying attention to this sale at all. have either skyrim dawnguard or ys origins or ys the oath gone on sale as flash sales already?

[quote name='The End']On Christmas day there was a brief window of time where Amazon price matched Steam's sale price of $7.50 for SR3 Full Package. At the time, they also had a promotion going on where if you had bought a THQ game from amazon within the previous year, you would get a $5 off coupon to use on Christmas on a THQ game. When you stacked the two, you could get the game for $2.50.

It was only possible to stack the two deals for about 11 hours.[/QUOTE]

ah ok, i can wait for another deal on it, hopefully for under $5, i still have a $5 off digital coupon that doesnt activate until 2013 so hopefully amazon drops the price to $7.50 at some point in january(tho i thought that the $5 off only worked on items over $10?)

[quote name='sleeping_lights_on']Maybe if I wait awhile. Amazon will add Sonic Adventure DX 2 and Nights into Dreams to their Dreamcast pack. Thoughts?
Yeah I'm gonna wait till they add those. 5$ is a bit steep as it is. Here's the bundle I want.

Sonic Adventure 1
Sonic Adventure 2
Crazy Taxi
Nights into Dreams
Jet Set Radio
Space Channel
5$.

I have 0 interest in Sega Bass Fishing.
Bought that Sega Classics Pack. 100% regret on that one. I wanted to show my friends that I was playing Sonic.
I'll just pull out the gamecube if I *really* want to play Sonic Adventure 2.[/QUOTE]
Your essentially paying $1 a game for the pack as is, is it really steep? & even if you don't have interest in Sega Bass (which ain't that bad really) just add more to JSR which is $5 itself. The DX port is horrible from what I've heard anyways. I just got the pack too.

Copped SR3 Full Pack for $2.50 too lol

[quote name='Tsel']I don't know how to explain it any better, but I'm not sure I'm getting my point across. Most of the $2 games on Steam seem like bundle fodder, shovelware, flash games, etc whereas Sniper was a full-fledged release, on consoles and everything. I guess that's what I'm trying to say, I don't know.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense to me. This game had a AAA MSRP when it came out. Not that it might make it better, but it had more going for it. Sort of like when Prey was supercheap.

[quote name='nategator']The have an economist from Greece.

That's like having a judge from Russia.[/QUOTE]

lol. Good point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back