The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Motoki']They did an excellent job with the visuals though. It's not some little fleabag thrown together indie game.

Plus Swedish Metal music.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... listening to the music on the store page and remembering something, I'm pretty sure that's Machinae Supremacy playing the tracks for this game. Which is awesome, I love that band!

Anyone else having trouble buying stuff with the mobile app? I want to grab Giana Sisters but it freezes at the payment screen for some reason.

Edit - Gave up on the mobile app. I was able to purchase Hotline Miami and Mark of the Ninja on my phone wednesday so I'm not sure why it isn't working now. Had to use a laptop and verizon aircard to make the purchase since my work internet blocks Steam

Last edited by a moderator:
So, anyone have anything good to say about Miner Wars? Is it worth the price? The trailer looks fun and it implies it has single player...

[quote name='Severose']Then why not do this in the past sales? Even more so, why give games away (last winter sale)? It just doesn't make sense to me that they'd go "all-out" and then so abruptly put an end to what we'd all come to love and sort-of expect. :cry:

Business will be business, I suppose.[/QUOTE]

It could be business, as in the amount of hours that it takes to put on one of these things, or if we buy into that employee handbook valve put online a little while ago, maybe it's more personal.

Someone has to go to the trouble to make the event, right? That's a lot of legwork. It would be a lot just to coordinate the sale, and you're making the art, and you're trying to fortify your servers, and all of that, and now you're going to get 20 devs to open up their games and do something to them, all on schedule, and then probably ask a lot of them to give some DLC away or something on top of that? And THEN you've got, just for one example, people mining penny bundles? I don't know how widespread that kind of behavior was, but wasn't it just this week that Amazon supposedly cancelled some deals that would have been extra effort on their part after seeing some of their diehard and outspoken customers bashing and bitching? Downright demoralizing is what that is.

It could be that the fancier sales events don't bring in substantially more income, or just that they don't bring in enough to make it worth someone's time and trouble. I can imagine a guy turning in his badge and gun over it. I don't think steam employees should even be issued firearms, personally, but that's another topic.

Just speculatin'.

I'm really hoping the Last Remnant gets a Flash or Daily deal on it. During the summer sale it was up for a vote but lost.

Right now it's 40% off at 8.99 but I'd really like it to go lower before I pull the trigger. If it doesn't go on sale I might binge on the last day.

They stopped giving away games cause everyone and there moms exploited it last year. I have a feeling it will def come back in some way in future but in meantime enjoy the extra cash in your wallet [=

[quote name='Angelwatch']I'm really hoping the Last Remnant gets a Flash or Daily deal on it. During the summer sale it was up for a vote but lost.

Right now it's 40% off at 8.99 but I'd really like it to go lower before I pull the trigger. If it doesn't go on sale I might binge on the last day.[/QUOTE]
It was on sale on GMG for 75% off and you could use a 30% voucher before Christmas.

[quote name='Dalrint']So, anyone have anything good to say about Miner Wars? Is it worth the price? The trailer looks fun and it implies it has single player...[/QUOTE]

I reviewed a copy earlier and was not that impressed. Exploration is good but the game has crazy difficulty spikes, a lot of indoor bits which are disorientating (due to 360 movement and being bounced around by rockets) and make no sense when you can have a beautiful space environment.

It does have MP quite a bit of it up to 16 player freeroam each doing his own quests and such.

The game does have always on DRM too.

[quote name='Therapy']Hmm... listening to the music on the store page and remembering something, I'm pretty sure that's Machinae Supremacy playing the tracks for this game. Which is awesome, I love that band![/QUOTE]

It is Machinae Supremacy. I hadn't heard of them before playing the Giana Sisters demo so I checked out one of their albums on Spotify. The vocals are a bit too whiny for my tastes but I liked the music as expected.

[quote name='CronO_O']They stopped giving away games cause everyone and there moms exploited it last year. I have a feeling it will def come back in some way in future but in meantime enjoy the extra cash in your wallet [=[/QUOTE]

I find it funny someone thinks that since Steam did it for one sale, that they will do it again. Last winter's sale was a mess of sorts.

Personally, I'm probably spending about as much as I usually do (which isn't a huge amount), mostly because there isn't a huge amount I want.

[quote name='Killbomb']It is Machinae Supremacy. I hadn't heard of them before playing the Giana Sisters demo so I checked out one of their albums on Spotify. The vocals are a bit too whiny for my tastes but I liked the music as expected.[/QUOTE]

Yeh the vocals of the band are... special. I have a couple of their albums and on some he performs better than on some others. But I can totally understand people not liking it. The music makes up for it though :p

BTW they also made soundtracks for a game called "Jets 'n Guns". I believe they also made an instrumental album of it. I have no idea where to buy it though but I downloaded it.

has anyone here played deponia? beautiful game peoples, its on sale right now, there's a demo to so you can give it a go, I'll say is the best point and click game since monkey island 2

[quote name='Therapy']Yeh the vocals of the band are... special. I have a couple of their albums and on some he performs better than on some others. But I can totally understand people not liking it. The music makes up for it though :p

BTW they also made soundtracks for a game called "Jets 'n Guns". I believe they also made an instrumental album of it. I have no idea where to buy it though but I downloaded it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think they would be better if they used harsh vocals or maybe a mix. I'll give another of their albums a go the next time I get a chance.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, you can get a coupon for an extra 50% off bringing it down to $5. Go to http://na.alienwarearena.com/deal/ click on the Painkiller banner and follow the instructions on the side of the page. All you have to do is sign up for an account with the site.

Just so you all know, XCOM is $17.50 after 30% off voucher (GMG30-DPLIM-DN831) on GreenManGaming.

So yea, that's the cheapest it'll ever get and you better hurry before the increase the price. They did that on Book of Unwritten Tales (previously $6.99, now $9.99)

[quote name='Killbomb']Anyway, if anyone is interested in Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, you can get a coupon for an extra 50% off bringing it down to $5. Go to http://na.alienwarearena.com/deal/ click on the Painkiller banner and follow the instructions on the side of the page. All you have to do is sign up for an account with the site.[/QUOTE]
Pity that it isn't 66% off like claimed on that site. :whistle2:#

[quote name='TheKbob']Just so you all know, XCOM is $17.50 after 30% off voucher (GMG30-DPLIM-DN831) on GreenManGaming.

So yea, that's the cheapest it'll ever get and you better hurry before the increase the price. They did that on Book of Unwritten Tales (previously $6.99, now $9.99)[/QUOTE]

XCOM is a 24 hour deal and will be that price until tomorrow morning. Unwritten Tales had the same kind of special yesterday.

[quote name='Detruire']Pity that it isn't 66% off like claimed on that site. :whistle2:#[/QUOTE]

True but at least it brings it to 75% off which is the automatic buy point for anything I'm even mildly interested in.

[quote name='Killbomb']XCOM is a 24 hour deal and will be that price until tomorrow morning. Unwritten Tales had the same kind of special yesterday.
[/QUOTE]

Book is now $12.49 XD

[quote name='mac995555']I'm Praying that this 2nd 1/2 of the sale starting today really turns this around, but my hope is low. I really think they should've made it 9 Daily Deals a day, 6 just seems so low. I believe it was 6 for the Thanksgiving sale, and that was a small sale.[/QUOTE]

9 Daily Deals wouldn't necessarily mean more deals, likely more repeats instead. If you recall, during the Summer, they had 9 Daily Deals and the votes/flash deals cycled every 6 (or 8?) hours instead of 12. People complained about how many repeats there were during the sale, which is why I'm guessing Steam cut back on how many are run during the course of one day.

[quote name='TheKbob']Book is now $12.49 XD[/QUOTE]

For the digital deluxe edition. The regular edition went back to $9.99 which is still 50% off.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']has anyone here played deponia? beautiful game peoples, its on sale right now, there's a demo to so you can give it a go, I'll say is the best point and click game since monkey island 2[/QUOTE]

Was looking at it but missed the $5 flash sale

[quote name='MC Kage']Was looking at it but missed the $5 flash sale[/QUOTE]

There's a 5 game Daedalic bundle for $27.20 that includes both Deponia and the sequel. Was thinking about picking it up the last day if there are no further discounts.

Just wanted to recommend to anyone who hasn't looked at the Driver title to give it a look. I had an amazing time with this one. The mechanic between switching cars is great, and there is no downtime ever or slow points.

Definitely prefer it to any NFS game that has came out in the past, what since the original Most Wanted?

[quote name='TheLongshot']I find it funny someone thinks that since Steam did it for one sale, that they will do it again. Last winter's sale was a mess of sorts.

Personally, I'm probably spending about as much as I usually do (which isn't a huge amount), mostly because there isn't a huge amount I want.[/QUOTE]

Aww, you missed the Summer 2011 sale?! It was great! :bouncy:

Giana Sisters demo was pretty fun, but it's nothing I need right now, so I can wait for the next time it goes on sale.

I will say that I miss the achievements that were based on the games on sale, I bought so many games I only played once to get some coal or a ticket.......

[quote name='Dalrint']Does anyone know if Heroes of Annihilated Empires is any good? I remember wanting it forever ago when it was a box game...I didn't even know it was on steam, just stumbled across it now.[/QUOTE]

It has good reviews but it's the same price at Gog.com right now. It's generally easier to get older titles up and running on a newer computer when you buy from there. Steam doesn't really do any tweaks to ensure that older games will run on Windows XP/Vista/7/8 systems and there are lots of horror stories about people trying to get the old LucasArts stuff to run in the forums.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']I will say that I miss the achievements that were based on the games on sale, I bought so many games I only played once to get some coal or a ticket.......[/QUOTE]

I have mixed feelings about this. It really irritated me to have to install a game in my backlog--or worse still, buy and immediately start playing a game--to play for a few hours so I could get a holiday sale achievement. Okay, so reflecting on it, I mostly have negative feelings about this.

[quote name='chris00cm']I suckered up and bought Arma 2: Combined Operations. Technically 3 games for $15.[/QUOTE]

DayZ is a lot of fun and different than anything I've ever played. Good choice.

[quote name='Killbomb']XCOM is a 24 hour deal and will be that price until tomorrow morning. Unwritten Tales had the same kind of special yesterday.
[/QUOTE]

They have been known to run out of keys on multiple occasions when a deal was really good. And this deal is almost half of what Steam was selling it for on sale and Steam still sold a ton of copies of it since it was one of their top selling games.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I don't believe I've seen much commentary on FTL: Faster Than Light. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

It's amazing. Buy it.

Just a heads up Civ V is on sale on Amazon today. Just in time for Steam's flash deal in 20 minutes!

I tried checking earlier pages but didn't see any mention, so I apologize if it's already been stated. This is more than just Civ V though, so check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1449014862&pf_rd_i=979455011

For those on the bubble, pick up GOTY instead of base. It's a few bucks more, but you get a ton more content.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Any favorites? Aside from some easter eggs like Blockhead off of the Creepers, I haven't found guns that do anything more unique than fire multiple rounds, and a few E-Tech AR's that have ricochet. (Ignoring the obvious Conference Call that everyone has.)[/QUOTE]

Well, that's a tough one to ignore, as it's both unique and useful, unlike the hilariously ineffective Bunny rocket launcher which has the explosive reload feature but with which it's damned near impossible to hit anything. The explosive reload feature by itself is nuts-ly awesome. Also, there are almost no combat rifles like in the first game; many of the ones I found shot mini rockets or explosive pellets. Even the grenades had a lot more diversity.

[quote name='chapnis']Does anyone know of a way to get PuzzleQuest to run in widescreen?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='facls']Whenever I need to know about games in widescreen I go to the Widescreen Gaming Forum. However Puzzle Quest isn't in there.[/QUOTE]

+1. They do multiple monitor / Eyefinity stuff too. And they have a Steam group!

[quote name='warreni']I have mixed feelings about this. It really irritated me to have to install a game in my backlog--or worse still, buy and immediately start playing a game--to play for a few hours so I could get a holiday sale achievement. Okay, so reflecting on it, I mostly have negative feelings about this.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I still have a "Holiday 2011" category I made for that event and I haven't gotten through most of them. S'why I preferred the ticket dealie from the Summer previous.

[quote name='paulcalypse']I don't believe I've seen much commentary on FTL: Faster Than Light. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Oof. I'm not even interested in that game much but I've seen tons of people talking about it. Too bad on CAG we can't search for 3-letter words.

I know it will be in a bundle soon, but I couldn't help myself from biting. $5 isn't bad for a game that so many of my friends loved. I haven't had a chance to play it yet though so I can't give any personal feedback :)

[quote name='Lord_Zath']Just a heads up Civ V is on sale on Amazon today. Just in time for Steam's flash deal in 20 minutes!

I tried checking earlier pages but didn't see any mention, so I apologize if it's already been stated. This is more than just Civ V though, so check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1449014862&pf_rd_i=979455011

For those on the bubble, pick up GOTY instead of base. It's a few bucks more, but you get a ton more content.[/QUOTE]

does the GOTY edition comes with the Kings and Gods and Cradle of Whatever DLCs?

[quote name='imac2much']...I haven't had a chance to play it yet...[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling.

But seriously, I've seen a lot of praise for it. I'm personally holding out for a bundle but if you're okay with paying $5 for something at eventually (and it may be a while) will end up in a bundle, it does seem to be highly regarding but most people I've seen comment on it.

Great, I can't buy the Sims 3 DLC because I don't have the base game on Steam

Anyone know any work arounds besides the whole "buy the base game on steam"?

You can buy DLCs w/o the base game as gifts and keep them in your inventory. At least, you used to be able to do that—I still have all the FO:NV DLC in my inventory with an unactivated hard copy of the base game on my shelf.

[quote name='dfg']You can buy DLCs w/o the base game as gifts and keep them in your inventory. At least, you used to be able to do that—I still have all the FO:NV DLC in my inventory with an unactivated hard copy of the base game on my shelf.[/QUOTE]
Would I be able to get the serials from the stuff in my inventory so I can register them on Origin?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Would I be able to get the serials from the stuff in my inventory so I can register them on Origin?[/QUOTE]
No

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back