The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Killbomb']Yeah, I think they would be better if they used harsh vocals or maybe a mix. I'll give another of their albums a go the next time I get a chance.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in Painkiller: Hell and Damnation, you can get a coupon for an extra 50% off bringing it down to $5. Go to http://na.alienwarearena.com/deal/ click on the Painkiller banner and follow the instructions on the side of the page. All you have to do is sign up for an account with the site.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, 75% off is my sweet spot on that.

[quote name='Motoki']I know the feeling.

But seriously, I've seen a lot of praise for it. I'm personally holding out for a bundle but if you're okay with paying $5 for something at eventually (and it may be a while) will end up in a bundle, it does seem to be highly regarding but most people I've seen comment on it.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the thoughts. I looked at their website and saw they handle purchases through the humble store. It's a fair guess that we'll see it in a future humble bundle I'd think. It seems awesome but the CAG on me says wait.

[quote name='zico']does the GOTY edition comes with the Kings and Gods and Cradle of Whatever DLCs?[/QUOTE]

No. GOTY comes with most of the small DLC packs that were sold at the same time Firaxis released patches for the game.

Steam's prices have finally blown Amazon's out of the water. Looking at getting:

- GOTY upgrade for $5.00, good for me as a base game owner.

- Gods & Kings expansion for $7.50.

Slightly off-topic: Amazon has Civ IV and V on sale -- being a newcomer to the Civ series, which one should I pick up?

(BTW, I've still got the $5 2K coupon I've been meaning to use)

[quote name='Lord_Zath']No. GOTY comes with most of the small DLC packs that were sold at the same time Firaxis released patches for the game.

Steam's prices have finally blown Amazon's out of the water. Looking at getting:

- GOTY upgrade for $5.00, good for me as a base game owner.

- Gods & Kings expansion for $7.50.[/QUOTE]

Not really
Amazon has the 2k strategy pack that has civ 5 GOTY + gods and king + a bunch of other games for $20

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Slightly off-topic: Amazon has Civ IV and V on sale -- being a newcomer to the Civ series, which one should I pick up?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure some of the veterans of Civ might argue with this but I would say V. It's really accessible and easy to pick up even if you aren't that familiar with strategy games at all.

Most of the Paradox stuff and the various space sims make me feel like :imwithst: when I try to play them but I had no problems at all with Civ V. It walks you through what to do early on and if you get stuck you have 'advisors' you can always consult.

[quote name='Motoki']I'm sure some of the veterans of Civ might argue with this but I would say V. It's really accessible and easy to pick up even if you aren't that familiar with strategy games at all.

Most of the Paradox stuff and the various space sims make me feel like :imwithst: when I try to play them but I had no problems at all with Civ V. It walks you through what to do early on and if you get stuck you have 'advisors' you can always consult.[/QUOTE]

Is it similar to Civilization: Revolution on the Xbox 360?

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Is it similar to Civilization: Revolution on the Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

I don't own a 360 so no clue, but I know it doesn't have controller support and I couldn't imagine playing it on a controller.

Since the sales are so boring and we're all just chillin' here, I'm hoping to spice things up. Enjoy grabbing this, folks! :p

Alien Shooter

A
I
Z
E
- (also known as "stripe", you prolly don't have to copy this. This is just a distraction)
G
W
This one is a dud
B
Hah! Nonono, try harder!
I
Wait I confused myself now... hold on!
"stripe"
Are you still with me? (I put that here since it rhymed with three. Yeah lame, I know...)
X
M
I'm not sure if this is right anymore...
Oh wait... I accidentally switched 3 and 7... sorry!
You probably hate me right now :’)
That's it! Enjoy!

:dunce:

One thing: if you take the time to redeem this, please take the time to post it. I’d like to know who got it!

I could have sworn last night on the voting tab that Civ V was advertised as 75% off. Now this morning, it is only 50% off? What gives? Was hoping to snag Gods and Kings for 75% off, $7.50 is still too steep for me.

Another disappointing development in the most disappointing Steam sale to date.

I love that they have the GOTY upgrade as an option for Civ V. I'll be picking that up later today for $5 (along with Gods and Kings,) since I got the game last year but never got around to any of the DLC.

[quote name='Therapy']Since the sales are so boring and we're all just chillin' here, I'm hoping to spice things up. Enjoy grabbing this, folks! :p

Alien Shooter

A
I
Z
E
- (also known as "stripe", you prolly don't have to copy this. This is just a distraction)
G
W
This one is a dud
B
Hah! Nonono, try harder!
I
Wait I confused myself now... hold on!
"stripe"
Are you still with me? (I put that here since it rhymed with three. Yeah lame, I know...)
X
M
I'm not sure if this is right anymore...
Oh wait... I accidentally switched 3 and 7... sorry!
You probably hate me right now :’)
That's it! Enjoy!

:dunce:

One thing: if you take the time to redeem this, please take the time to post it. I’d like to know who got it![/QUOTE]

AIGE2-ZW9BI-23XM8 :p? i think it was lurked.

[quote name='dfg']
edit: BLOPS2 still has a whopping 17% discount, and for the life of me I don't understand how people let them get away with charging $50 for a "season pass".[/QUOTE]

For the life of me I don't understand what people see in the CoD series since MW2... the most uninspirational series ever.

On another note: I love the stronghold games. Even though #3 doesn't get very good reviews I enjoy the game alot. It's much better than #2, which turned tedious micromanagement a new athletic sport, and it's closer to #1's epicness, but with better graphics.

[quote name='striderz']AIGE2-ZW9BI-23XM8 :p? i think it was lurked.[/QUOTE]
That's it. Too bad the taker didn't have the decency to notify us like I asked. How rude.

[quote name='utopianmachine']I would like deals I exclaim over today. I would deals catered just to me.

I would like 75% off Blackwell, namely. :)[/QUOTE]

You should have looked at GOG's 5 games for $10 last month. I basically got all the Blackwell games for $2. (And To The Moon, Unmechanical, Resonance, and Botanicula)

[quote name='lassiterb']I could have sworn last night on the voting tab that Civ V was advertised as 75% off. Now this morning, it is only 50% off? What gives? Was hoping to snag Gods and Kings for 75% off, $7.50 is still too steep for me.

Another disappointing development in the most disappointing Steam sale to date.[/QUOTE]

Click on the link for 50% off and you will see that the game and all addons are 75% off when you look at them.

[quote name='psunami']Click on the link for 50% off and you will see that the game and all addons are 75% off when you look at them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sometimes the sales don't update immediately on the main page.

[quote name='labelmeoriginal']Is it similar to Civilization: Revolution on the Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

IMHO no. That was made for the console and offers to me a different experience almost IMO a tablet like experience. Still fun but V is much more in depth PC based game. IV is probably the better game but if I would start anybody new with V it's slightly more accessible.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']Not really
Amazon has the 2k strategy pack that has civ 5 GOTY + gods and king + a bunch of other games for $20[/QUOTE]

Sure, if you don't already own all or part of the pack! And I'm not sure that two more games = a bunch of other games. Already played the Stronghold games, which are fun but do get old. This is a good bundle for people with none of the games already, though. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Strategy-S...711904&sr=8-1&keywords=2k+strategy+super+pack

It's very different. Civ Rev was intended to be a faster-paced game that you could play online with people. Civ V is a great singleplayer experience that can be played online with people. It's much slower (though you can set the speed to faster). It's more forgiving than Civ IV in that cities have a built-in defense. Most new players forget to keep military units in their cities for defense. Civ V enables ranged bombardment from cities as well as a health bar that prevents one-turn takeovers by barbarians/rival civs. Their one unit per tile rule also removes the stack of doom that you'd often see in Civ IV.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']Sure, if you don't already own all or part of the pack! And I'm not sure that two more games = a bunch of other games. Already played the Stronghold games, which are fun but do get old. This is a good bundle for people with none of the games already, though. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/2K-Strategy-S...711904&sr=8-1&keywords=2k+strategy+super+pack

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this pack would be tempting if I knew I could sell that copy of Civ IV off to somebody for $5. $15 is just too steep for me. I have a physical copy and a DD copy of Civ IV complete already (and as I've mentioned before on this site somewhere, maybe several places, I have a copy of the Stronghold Collection that I can't download from Direct2drive-cum-Gamefly).

[quote name='cranky2']I prefer IV over V as IV allows stacking units.[/QUOTE]

I miss the cultural takeover of cities in Civ 4 a bit more. Unless that still exists in Civ 5 and I haven't seen it.

[quote name='Kaltic']I miss the cultural takeover of cities in Civ 4 a bit more. Unless that still exists in Civ 5 and I haven't seen it.[/QUOTE]

I do too!!! Not to make this a CIV topic but it's like no cutural takeover really! Of course that would make those culture based CIV's overpowered quite a bit in V. But also couldn't animate the wonders? Couldn't add multiple leaders for the same civ with different traits? Where's Leonard Nimoy!!! Still my 200 + hours say this are grips but haven't stopped me from playing V into the ground! Just a different challenge than IV and that's a good thing.

[quote name='cranky2']I prefer IV over V as IV allows stacking units.[/QUOTE]
I actually prefer the way V does it tbh. But I also find both civ games to be good.

Thanks for all of the feedback -- went with Civ 5 on Amazon for $5! :D

EDIT: annnndddd just realized I could have picked up the Civ 4 + 5 double pack for the same price. Damn I'm stupid. lol

[quote name='Terlan']I actually prefer the way V does it tbh. But I also find both civ games to be good.[/QUOTE]

What's the benefit to not being able to stack units? I loved III, IV, and Rev, but not being able to stack units in V just broke my weak little heart. I only put about six hours into it, though. I could be persuaded back in, but I just don't get why you wouldn't want to stack similar units.

I just tried some Giana Sisters. I played two levels and I can already recommend you buy that game. Excellent game, plus it is beautiful, and I mean beautiful.

[quote name='Broken Cage']What's the benefit to not being able to stack units? I loved III, IV, and Rev, but not being able to stack units in V just broke my weak little heart. I only put about six hours into it, though. I could be persuaded back in, but I just don't get why you wouldn't want to stack similar units.[/QUOTE]
Little more realistic and lets you play it more like a RTS game instead of just stacking 20 units on a single tile and spam attacks until dead

Christ on a bike. Civ 5 GOTY. What DOESN'T come in the GOTY edition? I assume Gods and Kings does not. Anything else not included in the GOTY?

I swear to God. When I buy a Game of the Year edition, I anticipate getting everything. Now we're got to go and fuck that up! That's right! I said Shaq-Fu!

[quote name='Broken Cage']What's the benefit to not being able to stack units? I loved III, IV, and Rev, but not being able to stack units in V just broke my weak little heart. I only put about six hours into it, though. I could be persuaded back in, but I just don't get why you wouldn't want to stack similar units.[/QUOTE]
I just found it to be more fun. I didn't mind it in IV to bad, but I did hate it whenever I'd go to attack an enemy city and had to kill all the units he had sitting in it. I also find that not being able to stack units encourages more of a fluid warfare. Course thats just my opinion.

[quote name='zubalove']Christ on a bike. Civ 5 GOTY. What DOESN'T come in the GOTY edition? I assume Gods and Kings does not. Anything else not included in the GOTY?

I swear to God. When I buy a Game of the Year edition, I anticipate getting everything. Now we're got to go and fuck that up! That's right! I said Shaq-Fu![/QUOTE]
Korea doesn't come in it as well, and I believe wonders of the ancient world.

[quote name='InfenroIII']Hmmm . . Should i Upgrade my Civ 5 copy? Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Depends, is all the dlc you get in the game of the year edition worth it to you? If it is then yes for $5 your not getitng a bad deal. But if your only interested in a few pieces of the dlc it might be better to just grab individual dlcs.

In case anybody misses unit stacking in Civ 5 I would suggest getting the Legions Mod. Yeah sorry about linking another forum, but since the mods have switched to Steam Workshop the way you get it is a bit different. Plus if you don't want any change other than more units per tile then that thread helps with that.

[quote name='Terlan']I just found it to be more fun. I didn't mind it in IV to bad, but I did hate it whenever I'd go to attack an enemy city and had to kill all the units he had sitting in it. I also find that not being able to stack units encourages more of a fluid warfare. Course thats just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

Right, I wasn't trying to argue that you're wrong. I'm seriously interested because there's a lot about Civ 5 that I prefer over the previous Civs, but I just get hung up on that stacking thing.

I personally liked building giant armies of cannons/tanks and rolling up to cities like "You're so toast." In Civ 5, it's more like I surround the city with my army of catapults (never got far enough for cannons and tanks), and just cycle through units bombing on the city, same result, just more moves to get there.

I hope some games I really want to play come up, so far the sale has been a let down for me, especially with sites like amazon and gmg having the same games for way less.

Anyone want to request me to vote for something? I already own all three games up for community vote so it doesn't matter to me.

[quote name='Terlan']Anyone want to request me to vote for something? I already own all three games up for community vote so it doesn't matter to me.[/QUOTE]

the big yellow one

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back