The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Terlan']Ugh looks like Port Royale 3 has some one computer limit drm on the forums. :/ my desire for the game is now gone.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Terlan']Yeah, it's weird too cause as far as I know no other Kalypso game has anything like that.[/QUOTE]

Okay so I looked at the community forum and I am not at all convinced that Port Royale 3 has anything different than any other Kalypso game, which is just the Kalypso launcher that you activate once, no limits and then you can run offline even after that if you want.

It sounds like it's one guy jumping to conclusions based on Kalypso being evasive and/or ESL-ish on their forums.

Not sure I want to buy it to find out though, at least not at that price.

[quote name='Rerujnoc']If you are looking for a hidden gem this game is actually pretty fun.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46850/?snr=1_6_4__421[/QUOTE]

I actually have it (I have no idea when the hell I bought it) and I know this is trite at this point but it's basically a flash game.

[quote name='Motoki']Okay so I looked at the community forum and I am not at all convinced that Port Royale 3 has anything different than any other Kalypso game, which is just the Kalypso launcher that you activate once, no limits and then you can run offline even after that if you want.

It sounds like it's one guy jumping to conclusions based on Kalypso being evasive and/or ESL-ish on their forums.

Not sure I want to buy it to find out though, at least not at that price.

I actually have it (I have no idea when the hell I actually bought it) and I know this is trite at this point but it's basically a flash game.[/QUOTE]

$2.99 for a flash game!? Bad dog! :whistle2:x

You guys are pathetic. I've found the true hidden gem on Steam. I give you Diaper Dash
It's a girl! And a boy! In fact, it's every adorable baby in DinerTown, all bundled up for you to lavish with love. Keep these DinerTown darlings cooing by helping out Wilson, who's in over his head running the local daycare. Now's the time to make a play date with the game that's literally crawling with fun!

• 50 baby-filled levels of cuteness — that's, like, a bazillion baby toes!
  • Tend to your babies' every need with five priceless inventions beyond every mother's dream
  • Over 20 upgrades to buy, from stain-free walls to auto-rocking cradles
All for the low, LOW price of $9.99!! It's LITERALLY crawling with fun!

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You guys are pathetic. I've found the true hidden gem on Steam. I give you Diaper Dash
All for the low, LOW price of $9.99!! It's LITERALLY crawling with fun![/QUOTE]
Odam, it's Strategy First. INDIE GALA XII!!! :applause:

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']You guys are pathetic. I've found the true hidden gem on Steam. I give you Diaper Dash

Well the whole damned Strategy First collection, which it and that $2 America game and Zombie Pirates and a bunch of others are in, is $30.

*Edit: And Bad Rats. Can't forget Bad Rats.

Christ, how did Strategy First get all their games on Steam and yet there's a bunch of decent sounding games waiting on Greenlight?

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa'](sigh) I wish I could slap people sometimes. CAG is about getting games for as cheap as possible. By voting for a game on Steam that is on sale cheaper elsewhere.. (sigh) I know, Steam users aren't all CAGs but it's frustrating because it tells Steam that it's ok not to bottom out the prices of these sales.[/QUOTE]

It is ok for them to not bottom out prices. It is their business. You act like they are doing something wrong.

Steam is a great system run by a company that has done pretty well by its customers.

Anarchyoblivion owns that game. Maybe he could gives us a short review of it.

[quote name='Motoki']
Christ, how did Strategy First get all their games on Steam and yet there's a bunch of decent sounding games waiting on Greenlight?[/QUOTE]

I would assume once a publisher has a relationship with Valve they probably skip the vetting process.

You know, it's too bad Steam doesn't carry that Strategy First classic Big Mutha' Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Anarchyoblivion owns that game.[/QUOTE]

I think you could name just about any game on Steam and find that Anarchyoblivion owns it.

Every time I feel like I have gone way way too far in my 1,000 plus game collection I look at his and then I feel like a lightweight.

[quote name='Eldredpe']I would assume once a publisher has a relationship with Valve they probably skip the vetting process.[/QUOTE]

Valve: Oh we know Strategy First. They make good games, just let theirs on through.

Diaper Dash *STAMP* Approved
Bad Rats *STAMP* Approved
Big Mutha' Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder - Hmm, I don't know about this one...

[quote name='asheskitty']For anyone who recently bought Borderlands 2, these two pages (below) have a list of the currently active shift keys. I doubled checked they are identical listings though the orcz has more details. All of these activated for me fine this evening. 24 Golden keys now, iirc.

http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key#Latest_Shift_Codes
http://www.ign.com/wikis/borderlands-2/SHiFT_Codes_and_Golden_Keys

Also, it would be nice to include your Country/Region when you're discussing regional pricing.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate it. Definitely having fun with BL2 so far, tho for some reason I found BL1 easier to go off track. & I miss having that base in the beginning

Has anyone played AC2 with a wireless xbox controller? The controls are broken... There is supposedly a fix but I can't seem to find it. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?

[quote name='Motoki']You know, it's too bad Steam doesn't carry that Strategy First classic Big Mutha' Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder.

I think you could name just about any game on Steam and find that Anarchyoblivion owns it.

Every time I feel like I have gone way way too far in my 1,000 plus game collection I look at his and then I feel like a lightweight.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes I like to search Steam for a game Anarchy Oblivion doesn't own. (edit: if I find one) I instantly want to buy it- just to feel like I'm one upping him. Sure you have 1,400 games, but you don't own cardboard box maker, HA!

[quote name='Yanksfan']It is ok for them to not bottom out prices. It is their business. You act like they are doing something wrong.

Steam is a great system run by a company that has done pretty well by its customers.[/QUOTE]

this
plus, its been abundantly clear that the CAG consensus does not determine the community choice
every single vote were everyone in this thread have seemed to agree, that game has not won

[quote name='MC Kage']Appreciate it. Definitely having fun with BL2 so far, tho for some reason I found BL1 easier to go off track. & I miss having that base in the beginning[/QUOTE]

^_^ I'm only at the first go up the elevator mission, an hour in?

I wandered (intentionally) like crazy in BL1.

[quote name='SpecialK7225']Has anyone played AC2 with a wireless xbox controller? The controls are broken... There is supposedly a fix but I can't seem to find it. Has anyone dealt with this issue before?[/QUOTE]

AC2 worked perfectly normally with my F510 (wired) and DS3 (bluetooth motioninjoy).

[quote name='Motoki']Christ, how did Strategy First get all their games on Steam and yet there's a bunch of decent sounding games waiting on Greenlight?[/QUOTE]

money

[quote name='Eldredpe']I would assume once a publisher has a relationship with Valve they probably skip the vetting process.[/QUOTE]

Not always. Wadjet eye still had to send Primordia through Greenlight, even after all the Blackwell games and such on there.

[quote name='tham1988']money[/QUOTE]

Yeah, man! Follow the money, man!

This Strategy First shit goes all the way to the top!

[quote name='Jugglenaut']Not always. Wadjet eye still had to send Primordia through Greenlight, even after all the Blackwell games and such on there.[/QUOTE]

Wadjet Eye is also about as small as a publisher can get (a guy and his wife).

I don't think Ubisoft is putting their games through approval, and while Strategy First is not a huge company, they're on the level of something like Paradox.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Yeah, man! Follow the money, man!

This Strategy First shit goes all the way to the top![/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Yeah, I mean if Gamersgate had screwed up on the Strategy First bundle, well then they would be in even bigger trouble. That's some real money. We're talking about thousands of Galapoints here!

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I just read in the steam group buy/trade thread that GG might not fulfill the rest of the Bethesda package. Damn it, I want my Rogue Warrior and Brink keys![/QUOTE]

If I ever get mine you are welcome to them.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I just read in the steam group buy/trade thread that GG might not fulfill the rest of the Bethesda package. Damn it, I want my Rogue Warrior and Brink keys![/QUOTE]

Not Sure if serious or likes bad games.

So, with all this GG Borderlands hubbabub, I should mention that I never did get around to playing BL1. I have both installed and ready to fire up -- should I start with One and move on to Two or just plunge ahead into Two?

I did enter all my Shift codes from the earlier link (thanks!) just to appease my magpie DNA for collecting shiny things.

[quote name='Motoki']If I ever get mine you are welcome to them.[/QUOTE]

I'll take you up on the Rogue Warrior key if GG doesn't deliver mine.

[quote name='mac995555']Not Sure if serious or likes bad games.[/QUOTE]

Rogue Warrior looks like a blast. Running around doing cut scene knife kills looks like my kind of game. I was joking about Brink.

Where is that information coming from?

GG's official statement on the issue pretty much said "sorry we have no idea what we're doing ok talk to you next week bye."

Is there just a lot of speculation going around, or is there some source I haven't seen?

[quote name='asheskitty']^_^ I'm only at the first go up the elevator mission, an hour in?

I wandered (intentionally) like crazy in BL1.[/QUOTE]
Where you lift up Claptrap? I seem to die a lot in BL2 lol.

Same with me, tho I just started playing both games. Pretty new to BL.

& I know this was brought up earlier but I'm gonna bring it back up, how is Sims Medieval & is it cheaper than Steam ($15) anywhere right now?

[quote name='MC Kage']... is Sims Medieval... cheaper than Steam ($15) anywhere right now?[/QUOTE]

There are a few CAGs selling copies for $3 right now in the Steam Trading Thread, I bought one from manyT.

[quote name='Eldredpe']Where is that information coming from?

GG's official statement on the issue pretty much said "sorry we have no idea what we're doing ok talk to you next week bye."

Is there just a lot of speculation going around, or is there some source I haven't seen?[/QUOTE]

My solid source is wild speculation in the steam trade/group buy thread.

[quote name='DaDillsta']Head's up for anyone buying or selling Bethesda pack games.

http://www.gamersgate.com/info/holiday-sale-issue

It's not looking good, even for people who already redeemed the codes. I know this is a hard mess to sort out, but I'd recommend not buying any keys from people.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Severose']There are a few CAGs selling copies for $3 right now in the Steam Trading Thread, I bought one from manyT.[/QUOTE]

How in the world can it be so cheap lol

So if I read correctly earlier I can activate Sims on Origin as well?

What exactly could happen to you if you buy games from somebody who is using a VPN to get games cheaper from another region, and that person gets caught?

[quote name='MC Kage']How in the world can it be so cheap lol

So if I read correctly earlier I can activate Sims on Origin as well?[/QUOTE]

It was being sold for 93% or so off @ $2.19 in Australia.

And apparently New Zealand, which is wholly different and nothing at all like Australia.

It was probably a pricing mistake but who knows?

And yes it does also activate to Origin but you need to register your key for it from Steam through sims3.com first.

[quote name='asheskitty']There are three price trackers in my sig.

More usefully, KaOTiK is maintaining a complete Steam Winter Sale listing over at AnandTech.
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2290835[/QUOTE]

That's some dedication.

[quote name='Syntax Error']So, with all this GG Borderlands hubbabub, I should mention that I never did get around to playing BL1. I have both installed and ready to fire up -- should I start with One and move on to Two or just plunge ahead into Two?[/QUOTE]

There's enough tie-in to the original in the sequel that if you find yourself enjoying its brand of humor, you might regret skipping ahead. Conversely, the original 4 characters themselves are fleshed out more in 2 than 1.

Further advice: if you like taking it slow and soaking it in, play solo, and then find people to play with on a subsequent playthrough. If you just care about blasting shit and snagging loot, you can enjoy yourself in a group from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Frithsblessing']I'm hoping they will refund me the cost of Brink, because there is no way I'm finding anyone to buy that key.[/QUOTE]
I'll give you 50 cents for it! ;)

[quote name='tham1988']anyone have any input on this sherlock holmes game?[/QUOTE]

Its on top of my wishlist. Its more a of story driven puzzle game. Atmosphere is a bit dark I read. So if your into that sort of thing, it seems that it is a decent title. Old school point and click item hunt and investigations. Not trying to sell one way ore another though.

[quote name='Severose']There are a few CAGs selling copies for $3 right now in the Steam Trading Thread, I bought one from manyT.[/QUOTE]
And to think that I only had a handful of people PM me when I was offering them at cost. :lol:

[quote name='Frithsblessing']I'm hoping they will refund me the cost of Brink, because there is no way I'm finding anyone to buy that key.[/QUOTE]

After the specter of possible revoked keys rose it's ugly head yesterday, I gave up trying to sell my unwanted bundle keys and just activated them all. I am now the proud owner of both Brink and Rogue Warrior.

I figure it'll soften the blow if they revoke keys. Sure, Dishonored & Fallout New Vegas will be gone, but so will Brink & Rogue Warrior.

[quote name='Detruire']And to think that I only had a handful of people PM me when I was offering them at cost. :lol:[/QUOTE]

By the time I saw your offer, I had already bought a copy from another CAG for $3. The extra $0.81 wont kill me, but I definitely would have bought from you or ermwiz (or whatever his name is) instead, if I had the chance.

I was actually able to sell my Brink key for a dollar.

And the way the Gamersgate statement reads doesn't make it seem as though they will revoke already redeemed keys.

They specifically talk about "partially fulfilled bundles," which I read as "we might not be able to get more keys to fulfill the remainder of the bundle," not as "we're revoking the keys you've got already."

The language is certainly somewhat ambiguous, though.

I don't think they have a damn clue what they're going to do, and people are freaking out because they didn't confirm that they wouldn't revoke any keys.

I think the situation is more up in the air than dire.

[quote name='tham1988']anyone have any input on this sherlock holmes game?[/QUOTE]

It may have some crappy DRM attached. The Euro rep at Frogwares said something like first it was limited to 3 activations, then she came back and said it was limited to being installed on 3 computers simultaneously but that you could activate it an unlimited number of times.

Seems to me it's still got some crapware in there that's generating a unique signature based on your particular setup and that one change might alter that signature and consider it a different PC etc.

Oh and FYI this isn't mentioned on the Steam store page but that's not unusual to happen for games published by Focus.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/781/#9891
* No PC disk in North America, this is correct. While there will be PC disks in Europe.
* We are using Internet activation for copy protection. You will be able to use the same key up to 3 times. If you need more, email support (at) frogwares.com

Then she corrected it to this:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/781/P15/#9951
Hey guys, regarding game activation - I was not correct here. Sorry for misinforming you!

You will be able to install the game on 3 PCs simultaneously; while you have unlimited number of activations.

And of course our support (at) frogwares.com guys will be happy to help and advice! :whistle2: )

[quote name='The End']After the specter of possible revoked keys rose it's ugly head yesterday, I gave up trying to sell my unwanted bundle keys and just activated them all. I am now the proud owner of both Brink and Rogue Warrior.

I figure it'll soften the blow if they revoke keys. Sure, Dishonored & Fallout New Vegas will be gone, but so will Brink & Rogue Warrior.

[/QUOTE]

People were speculating that GG was going to revoke keys? I have not seen that. That seems extreme. Seems like the worst case is they will not deliver some keys.

Nooooooooooo where will I get my Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink?!?! But seriously, I'll buy someone something for a bucko off of Amazon for a Brink key just to satisfy morbid curiosity.

[quote name='Frithsblessing']People were speculating that GG was going to revoke keys? I have not seen that. That seems extreme. Seems like the worst case is they will not deliver some keys.[/QUOTE]

That's how I read it.

Not delivering the remainder of the keys, I mean.

[quote name='Mooby']Nooooooooooo where will I get my Briiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink?!?! But seriously, I'll buy someone something for a bucko off of Amazon for a Brink key just to satisfy morbid curiosity.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, I'd pay a dollar too. A dollar fitty even

And, yeah, it's just speculation. Not that it isn't possible but can you imagine the poop storm that will arise if people get legitimately purchased Steam keys yanked?

[quote name='jatan11t']Seriously, I'd pay a dollar too. A dollar fitty even[/QUOTE]

Damn, I got outbid!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back