The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Therapy']I finally decided to buy the humble indie bundle. But I kinda did it for the soundtracks. I love soundtracks! Especially Grimrock's. It's just one track but a very nice one.[/QUOTE]

I really liked Meatboy Salt Factory. It's got like a mix of almost 8-bit techno with 80's synth rock.

[quote name='MC Kage']Interesting thanks. I remember hearing some feedback that I could just dive into BL2 and ignore 1. Is the main story ending significant at all? [/QUOTE]

You don't play Borderlands 1 for the story, you play Borderlands 1 because to skip it would be a fucking crime against yourself.

At this rate, you guys could put together a four-man group of the CAGs in this thread who haven't finished it, and have a hell of a time.

[quote name='Broken Cage']
At this rate, you guys could put together a four-man group of the CAGs in this thread who haven't finished it, and have a hell of a time.[/QUOTE]

I'm in for that! We could get someone to record the whole thing lol

[quote name='tham1988']I can't believe war for cybertron is more than i payed for the ps3 version on black friday at wal-mart[/QUOTE]

I was just at gamestop and it is cheaper used there than on steam. Consoles have same problem as the pc the online multiplayer is dead.
Though why someone would buy this for multiplayer when COD is out there is beyond me. keep in mind this is an activision title which means its made by one of the worst developers in modern gaming.
Might as well be valusoft, thugh tbh I would rather play john deer tractor driver than cybertron anyday.

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games, same with Bl1, sure the story made no sense. But it was FUN! seriously do most video game stories make sense? Its more about the journey than the destination in life anyways right?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MC Kage']Interesting thanks. I remember hearing some feedback that I could just dive into BL2 and ignore 1. Is the main story ending significant at all?
[/QUOTE]

The main story will leave you scratching your head. The true ending (imo) can be found playing the Claptrap DLC.

[quote name='RollingSkull']If you bought Borderlands 2 you wasted a lot more than $3.50[/QUOTE]

You hate on the strangest games when there are so many more worthy targets of your ire.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']I was just at gamestop and it is cheaper used there than on steam. Consoles have same problem as the pc the online multiplayer is dead.
Though why someone would buy this for multiplayer when COD is out there is beyond me. keep in mind this is an activision title which means its made by one of the worst developers in modern gaming.
Might as well be valusoft, thugh tbh I would rather play john deer tractor driver than cybertron anyday.

Borderlands 2 is one of my favorite games, same with Bl1, sure the story made no sense. But it was FUN! seriously do most video game stories make sense? Its more about the journey than the destination in life anyways right?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious right now? Activision is not a developer, its a publisher. The devs who made COD have nothing to do with this one, neither is the multiplayer similar at all to the COD series.

War for Cybertron is actually pretty damn good and the best Transformers game ever made(well, its not saying much, but still).

[quote name='The End']New Flash deals
Carpe Fulgur Games - 75% off[/QUOTE]

Ah, finally! Been wanting to pick up a gift copy of Recettear for a friend and was starting to wonder if it would ever get a decent discount this sale.

[quote name='SeymourGams']The Fortune Summoners girl always looks like she is flipping me off.[/QUOTE]

You say that like you don't believe that she is.

[quote name='mjontrix']The DLC is by the looks of it - NA key (GMG) vs WW key (GG): Just did some research :(

SO PISSED! But I did save money on buying Borderlands 2, so I shouldn't complain - heck at least I got a key from gamersgate LOL[/QUOTE]
Mechromancer from GMG activated fine against my GG copy of BL2.

Looking at my downloaded content, it says "Premiere Club" is activated which, according to the GMG Mechromancer page, includes the extra class. Maybe you're just not seeing it?

[quote name='tham1988']I can't believe war for cybertron is more than i payed for the ps3 version on black friday at wal-mart[/QUOTE]

How is the game, any good?

I might get it, $5 for it seems about right

[quote name='BernardoOne']Are you serious right now? Activision is not a developer, its a publisher. The devs who made COD have nothing to do with this one, neither is the multiplayer similar at all to the COD series.

War for Cybertron is actually pretty damn good and the best Transformers game ever made(well, its not saying much, but still).[/QUOTE]

Good point so far it IS the best one, not saying much but for a transformers fix its the only way to go.
for the die hard transformers fans this would be a buy since it is the best transformers game made yet, for the rest of us I would say wait for a better price.

[quote name='BridgetFisher']Good point so far it IS the best one, not saying much but for a transformers fix its the only way to go.
for the die hard transformers fans this would be a buy since it is the best transformers game made yet, for the rest of us I would say wait for a better price.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys talking about fall of , or War of Cybertron? War Of is VERY unlikely to go under 5$ on steam anytime soon , and where are these lower prices you talk of? show me a link.

[quote name='InfenroIII']Are you guys talking about fall of , or War of Cybertron? War Of is VERY unlikely to go under 5$ on steam anytime soon , and where are these lower prices you talk of? show me a link.[/QUOTE]

I think they're mixing the two up. This is the cheapest the PC version of War for Cybertron has been on Steam, it's been $7.50 in previous sales.

[quote name='Corpekata']Or, for the millionth time, they've glitched when putting new sales up.[/QUOTE]

What! An online PC game direct download site glitching? UNPOSSIBLE!

;)

[quote name='Corpekata']Or, for the millionth time, they've glitched when putting new sales up.[/QUOTE]

WHAT THE FLASH SALE IS THE SAME AS THE REGULAR PRICE! I AM OUTRAGED!...oh, uh, never mind. :oops:

;)

[quote name='BernardoOne']Are you serious right now? Activision is not a developer, its a publisher. The devs who made COD have nothing to do with this one, neither is the multiplayer similar at all to the COD series.

War for Cybertron is actually pretty damn good and the best Transformers game ever made(well, its not saying much, but still).[/QUOTE]

To be fair activision a is a publisher and developer. Most of the products they publish are from studios they wholly own, including the studios that made the transformers games and cod games.

Also, isn't just me or does Chivalry Medieval Warfare look like a bunch of guys larping.

[quote name='The End']New Flash deals
Carpe Fulgur Games - 75% off[/QUOTE]

Ended up buying all 3, each one possess a certain charm that I found noteworthy... Chantelise in particular gave me vibes of some old Saturn RPGs like Dragon Force (ok, that was a SRPG) and Dark Savior :)

I hope to give'em a spin as soon as possible, but first I have to escape that cursed Grimrock prison...

[quote name='Junpei']Ended up buying all 3, each one possess a certain charm that I found noteworthy... Chantelise in particular gave me vibes of some old Saturn RPGs like Dragon Force (ok, that was a SRPG) and Dark Savior :)[/QUOTE]

I loved Dragon Force. Too bad the sequel never made it over here :(. The most enjoyable part of that game was using the debug mode and just sending the AI opponents into battles with each other :lol:

I wish they would stop being so chintzy with those Genesis Sonics. They still are only 50% off even with the flash sale for the other Sonic games. Sega withheld them from the big mega Genesis pack on Amazon.

I'm sorry but I can't bring myself to pay the same price for two Genesis Sonic games that I paid for 50 other Genesis games.

I'm glad I bought the Sonic pack in that daily deal. Seems like they took about 8 or 9 games off the list and kept it the same price for the current flash deal. Pretty messed up :p

So these screenshots are telling me nothing, other than the series is set in space. So...

What exactly IS the X series? How does it play?

And of course, is it any good.

[quote name='argyle']So these screenshots are telling me nothing, other than the series is set in space. So...

And of course, is it any good.[/QUOTE]
It's supposed to be good but have a massive learning curve, from what I've heard.

[quote name='argyle']So these screenshots are telling me nothing, other than the series is set in space. So...

+Very, Very deep gameplay
+Huge
+Love the atmosphere

-Everything takes forever
-Quite intimidating

The X series is a 4X game, if you don't know what that is go ahead and wiki it. I personally had never played a 4X game before but I really liked this one.

Question: Is there a Space Sim for Dummies? Like something that will hold your hand and show you what to do, walk you through everything and give you good advice to actually TEACH you how to play the game instead of assuming you already know and making you feel like GTFO N00B!! if you don't?

Because I own several and I can't 'get' any of them and they all make me feel like :imwithst:

Civ V I had no trouble with so I guess I want Civ V in space with Civ V's level of accessibility and newbie friendliness.

Endless Space is pretty similar to the Civ games. Lot of tutorial pop ups and tooltips, and a lot of the basic mechanics are pretty similar.

Nexus the Jupiter Incident is a real time one that I found was pretty easy to pick up. Not as open as most are. It is more on the scale of managing ships rather than the huge metagame end though. Really depends on what you're after. Lot of really varied titles that get lumped together.

[quote name='pROvIs']Also, isn't just me or does Chivalry Medieval Warfare look like a bunch of guys larping.[/QUOTE]

doesn't that make it even better?

[quote name='Motoki']Question: Is there a Space Sim for Dummies? Like something that will hold your hand and show you what to do, walk you through everything and give you good advice to actually TEACH you how to play the game instead of assuming you already know and making you feel like GTFO N00B!! if you don't?

Because I own several and I can't 'get' any of them and they all make me feel like :imwithst:

Civ V I had no trouble with so I guess I want Civ V in space with Civ V's level of accessibility and newbie friendliness.[/QUOTE]

I found Gal Civ 2 to be very accessible to me and I don't play hardcore sims of any kind. Of course that was years ago when it was new, and not in this post Civ V world.

[quote name='Corpekata']Endless Space is pretty similar to the Civ games. Lot of tutorial pop ups and tooltips, and a lot of the basic mechanics are pretty similar.

Nexus the Jupiter Incident is a real time one that I found was pretty easy to pick up. Not as open as most are. It is more on the scale of managing ships rather than the huge metagame end though. Really depends on what you're after. Lot of really varied titles that get lumped together.[/QUOTE]

Endless Space sucked Donkey Balls at teaching me the game the way I learn, by doing things. It just throws up a few screenshots with difficult to read (literally, on my monitor at least) TL;DRy text and leaves you to your own devices.

I gave up. And I spent $27 on that game to get it when it was beta.

Again I had no troubles at all with Civ V. It's very good and walks you through everything by showing, not telling. Fallen Enchantress also has an excellent tutorial and reference videos.

Endless Space is not even in the same league as far as I'm concerned with teaching people new to the genre how to play.

Or maybe I'm just stupid, but if so I'm stupid in a way that understands Civ V and Fallen Enchantress and just doesn't get Endless Space at all.

TL;DR - Endless Space is NOT newbie friendly to me, any others?

[quote name='louiedog']I found Gal Civ 2 to be very accessible to me and I don't play hardcore sims of any kind. Of course that was years ago when it was new, and not in this post Civ V world.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Unsurprisingly, I own it. Also unsurprisingly, I haven't played it. I'll have to remedy that.

[quote name='BernardoOne']Fortune Summoners, buy or no buy? Enjoyed both Recettear and Chantelise.[/QUOTE]

If you enjoyed Chantelise you would enjoy fortune summoners.

Though Chantelise came out on steam AFTER fortune summoners is actually the devs first game, and Fortune Summoners shows off their skills, you would like it very much if you liked Chantelise.

[quote name='Motoki']Question: Is there a Space Sim for Dummies? Like something that will hold your hand and show you what to do, walk you through everything and give you good advice to actually TEACH you how to play the game instead of assuming you already know and making you feel like GTFO N00B!! if you don't?

Civ V I had no trouble with so I guess I want Civ V in space with Civ V's level of accessibility and newbie friendliness.[/QUOTE]

There are great tutorials on YouTube that you can follow to learn how to play the X games. I kept the tutorial up on a 2nd computer (netbook) while I played on my gaming computer so I could learn how to do certain things.

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...9.0.178.713.7j1.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.H6GtAMSX5LQ

yes endless space and nexus are excellent suggestions if you are intimidated by 4x. although I feel nexus focuses a lot on combat so you might want to consider that.

I would also take the effort to head to goG.com and check out some classics. plenty of character and huge time sinks in games such as master of Orion, alpha centauri, space civ, etc

while many 4x games are deep, the goals are generally similar. it should not be too difficult to "get", just need the time to mess around with specific game mechanics. I always enjoy 4x games with a nice drink, and to really just take my time.

Anyone remember when Amazon had Prototype 1 and 2+DLC on sale for $7.50? Makes me glad I got in on that deal after I saw Steam's sale prices for those games.

do i need to play war for cybertron before i play fall of cybertron?
I already got fall of cybertron for ps3 for $25 and i'm wondering if I should get war for cybertron in this flash sale?

The difference between the X series and the other space games (and civ) being discussed right now is that in X you can control just your own ship if you want, and treat it like an old school space combat game. Especially in X3:AP, where there are whole sectors filled with conflict that you can make an impact with just your individual ship. While you can treat it like a strategy game and build factories, compose a fleet and do everything through the menu (where out of sector combat is different from in sector) I personally prefer to treat it closer to an action game, keeping minimal ships, just exploring, and fighting to survive.

[quote name='tham1988']do i need to play war for cybertron before i play fall of cybertron?
I already got fall of cybertron for ps3 for $25 and i'm wondering if I should get war for cybertron in this flash sale?[/QUOTE]

not sure storywise but I know that War For Cybertron was a great game. Never played it but I snatched it into my back catalogue.

Fake Edit: Looked up story and Fall continues where War left off.

It's A LOT of things.
Space-sim / space-ship shooting / open-world game.

I don't recommend you start w/ X series of games, until you play a few others of these kinds of space-sims.
Take on something else in that genre first - like say StarLancer (linear), FreeLancer (open-world, to an extent), and Freespace series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back