The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought SimCity 4... Can't remember being funnier than SC2000... but I wan't to give it a chance again... after all, is a SC game! And I think It already has it's daily...

*grumble* Damn, I had hoped that it had been long enough since the Trine 2 DLC had been released that we'd see it at 75% off. I guess I'll wait until summer - not even done with Trine 1 yet.

[quote name='Kaltic']My experience with Linux makes me never want to use it, but hey it could have been worse I guess. It took me about 3 days to get a non crap Ubuntu that would actually install. If I ever tried using wifi my network would crash, although I legitimately wanted to try it on campus to see if it would take down the entire university's network. And when it said, "Hey you need to update", I made the mistake of actually doing that because now my laptop freezes when starting Ubuntu.... Let me put it this way. I liked Linux so much that it is still on my laptop, but I haven't used in a year and a half. I dislike it so much I don't even want to re-install or take the time to remove it.

Again it could have been worse... My laptop could have started on fire or I could have been robbed during this time.

I like Windows because when there is a problem with it, I mean when isn't there?, there is also information online about it because so many people use Windows and also have that problem. Ubuntu has some information as to why I couldn't connect to my network wirelessly... you know for the version of Ubuntu that is 2 years old so it doesn't apply anymore.[/QUOTE]

I feel your frustration. Back in my undergrad studies, I had to use Red Hat (version 7.5 I think) to set up a network, and all the jazz for one my classes. For starters, we were using this on PCs so old, that they could barely run Windows XP at the time. It installed, but everything was so slow. Red Hat wasn't much better. Even with most graphical effects turned off, it still ran very slow. It was probably all part of the prof's way of trying to get us to install Linux without a graphical desktop environment, but that failed since we all still did that anyways, because at least then we could browse the file system a little faster than using cd and ls commands everywhere.

I still remember how annoying it was to try to find solutions as well. Usually googling "Red Hat Linux " would only produce results linking to the main site with information about Red Hat, or mirrored pages of the stupid manual that I could already get using a man command. Oh yeah, and the installer programs (if they could even be called that) were just as helpful as Windows by always stating that I should check the manual to my operating system for solutions as to why the install didn't work. GEE THANKS! At least with Windows, you gather could enough information through the Event Viewer and possibly an error code to eventually narrow it down.

That said, I really have nothing against Linux. It was very frustrating, but eventually I got everything working. I think I'd be more open to using Linux again if it was on some more modern hardware, instead of beige early 90s Dells. Rant mode off. ;)

[quote name='Bort_']is Hitman: Absolution worth the $25?http://store.steampowered.com/app/203140/?snr=1_614_615_wintersale2012hitmanfranchise_616[/QUOTE]

Don't know what this might tell you...
But...well, I got 6 hours or so racked-up onto Hitman: Absolution just last night alone.

I have NOT touched Contracts mode, but I'll speak a bit on the Story Mode (Campaign), from my first impressions of those hours.

If you've played previous Hitman games (namely say Hitman 2: Silent Assassin; Hitman: Contracts; Blood Money - since I've actually played all of those), Absolution is definitely a DIFFERENT kind of Hitman game. Some things are similar; while some things are just NOT.

Mission objectives....might differ. They are NOT always "Go kill specific enemies" like most missions in the older Hitman games. This ones tries to mix it up a bit more. Some missions are basically "Get the hell out of the area", "Evade the cops" or "get to the next floor." So, sometimes, this game comes off w/ levels being smaller in size and even more linear - b/c there's a bunch of these levels.

Sometimes, then it's the opposite - feels like something out of the older Hitman games. You'll get these big sand-boxy open-levels (I'm thinking like say the Chinatown King level) where you've got tons of ways to actually finishing off your mission's kill(s) and/or exiting the level.
{If I recall, when the game's actually teaching you to play - they mentioned you could finish the Chinatown King at least 12 different ways!}
I expect in levels especially like these - replay value is definitely through the roof. If you look at Challenges list (F1) while in a level, you're going to see TONS & TONS of Challenges. Oh, and the game has 47 (ha!) Achievements listed.

Things worth noting - there's a cover system in here. 47 can vault over cover; shoot/attack while in cover; move from cover-to-cover; and all of that kind of stuff. Seems appropriate to have, since he's an assassin and trying to hide in the shadows and kill silently and all of that. If you walk-up to an enemy and want to engage in hand-to-hand combat w/ enemies - these are now QTE's, more or less (i.e. think like Witcher 2's boxing/fist-fights).

Also, for most missions - you're CONSTANTLY being rewarded points & docked points, based on your actions. If you're playing this game online, you are being compared to the game's USA and World leaderboards; and your Steam Friends list. If you actually do care about your score - you'll probably either be reloading saves A LOT or going to wind-up REPLAYING levels. My first time around w/ this - so, I'm not caring too much. I'm playing on Normal and trying to go through the game level-after-level. I'm...honestly, not playing well compared to the rest of the USA/World/My Steam Friends, hehe. You obviously want to NOT be spotted (that knocks MAJOR points off); clean-up any knock-outs/kill you make (i.e. throw them in a garbage bin, push them off a cliff into a water, throw someone in a mud bath tub, etc) so you can actually get some of your points back; and try NOT to kill civilians (you get docked MAJOR points for killing civilians). I should note - the harder DIFFICULTY you play on, the more BONUS you get for completing objectives. Once you a finish a chapter, you unlock it - so that if you want, you can select a chapter and then go right into that mission.

There's an Instinct meter - that fills up while you play. Depending on what difficulty you're playing, it might be there (Most Difficulties - but how it can be used and if it recharged might be differently tweaked)...or it just might not be there as an Option at all (i.e. Purist). Instinct lets you do all kinds of stuff. You can see enemies' through walls - a la Batman: Arkham Asylum & City. Also, Instinct can show you pathways of NPC's, as well - again, that depends on Difficulty level, as well. Instinct can also let you do Tag & Execute kills like Sam Fisher could do in Splinter Cell: Conviction, as well.

The game has checkpoints scattered very sparingly throughout levels. Also, depending on difficulty - you might not even have any save checkpoints even allowed (i.e. Purist).

You don't really select your weapons at load-out, either - unlike most Hitman games. You'll find A LOT of different items/weapons/things to use in the game-world, BTW. In Hitman: Blood Money - you earned $$ for each level and could then spend it on buying and upgrading new weapons; in Absolution's STORY Mode, this is just NOT here.

Also, the story in this Absolution seems WAY more focused in some things, compared to other Hitman games. While I ain't played it all the way through, this game seems to have less globe-trotting and now be sticking in the USA more so than ever. (So far, I've only been in the USA - though, the areas themselves have been diverse). Also, this game seems WAY more story-focused and story-driven than previous games - and actually have a bunch of reoccurring characters within this one story.

Not that I've actually been able to load the steam site for the past hour or so, but I'm predicting Deus Ex discounts for today's sales.

[quote name='Arben']Not that I've actually been able to load the steam site for the past hour or so, but I'm predicting Deus Ex discounts for today's sales.[/QUOTE]

Yup the store and forums and everything just went down for me a bit ago too...

[quote name='momouchi']Uh oh, we broke Steam[/QUOTE]

GabeN has awoken and is uploading Half Life 3 - IT MUST BE SO!

If by some miracle it is released I'll pay full retail for it xD

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Weird thing is I was still able to register my copy of Gods & Kings. So something in Steams back-end is still working correctly.

[quote name='INCyr']Glad to know I'm not the only one. Weird thing is I was still able to register my copy of Gods & Kings. So something in Steams back-end is still working correctly.[/QUOTE]

Activation servers are hosted seperately incase of events like this. They have no connection to anything else except user accounts; which are paid for in advance so in the instance that Valve goes bust people can activate all their games for a given time period etc.

EDIT: It's back up

I own Hitman and the past ones been playing them ages, the new Hitman is made by Square same company that censors games like Kane And Lynch, then try to call it style and not censorship. Hitman follows the same low violence storyline, strange for a hitman right? Not really most missions you are not even assassinating a target, there is no safehouses so no strategy.

Also per square enix, digital versions bought online anywhere but the square store are not allowed to be registered to your square account. That means for everyone who preordered the digital version for the sniper unlocks, none were activated in their game because you need to link them and that is only done with a physical retail version per a special code that is not authorized for people who dont buy a legit version of hitman online. About everyday there are new threads on their site about it everyday still with rage but meh like most game companies they could care less.

I prefer to call it Hitman: AbsolutPOS, Id wait for the next patch tbh if there ever is one, there are still ALOT of graphical glitches.

[quote name='dracula']the right analog stick isnt used for anything, it wont let you look around with the right analog stick. other than that, it plays exactly like it should. you have to select 'joystick' in the options and it will play just fine with your xbox 360 wired.

note: i played through san andreas on steam using a xbox 360 wireless, but a wired should work the same, i just had to buy a dongle to get mine to work.[/QUOTE]

I used a gta san andreas specific controller app to get fully customized controlls. I have a link around somewhere and will post it later.

[quote name='fastitocalon']3D Vantage is the first time I've considered buying something that isn't a game.[/QUOTE]

Same here, but just thinking that there are free bench-marking programs out there as is, and whether it provides enough of an advantage to warrant my $4.99.

[quote name='hbluft']Same here, but just thinking that there are free bench-marking programs out there as is, and whether it provides enough of an advantage to warrant my $4.99.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was going to ask the group. Does anyone have any suggestions if this is worth the purchase? I see they have a free basic versions of each at http://www.3dmark.com. I've been looking through the comparison chart of the 3DMark11to see if $5 warrants a purchase.

Edit: Looks like the basic would not be enough for me. I would probably need the ability to run the Extreme or Custom presets. But I might download the basic to see how it works.

[quote name='hbluft']Same here, but just thinking that there are free bench-marking programs out there as is, and whether it provides enough of an advantage to warrant my $4.99.[/QUOTE]

3DMark Vantage also has a free version, which I've used before. Looks like the paid version has more options.

For the people looking at 3D Mark, make sure you get the right version if you get it. One is for DX10 cards and the other is for DX11 cards.

[quote name='Jon7']For the people looking at 3D Mark, make sure you get the right version if you get it. One is for DX10 cards and the other is for DX11 cards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there is a link on there which will bring you to the DX11 version, which is also on sale. They should have done a sale page with both versions.

Sorry if already discussed... But for those of you that bought the GTA Franchise deal did you get multiple copies of GTA III and SA? Both are in my list of games and when choosing what to install after I registered them it even wanted to install each one twice.

[quote name='JKSonic']Sorry if already discussed... But for those of you that bought the GTA Franchise deal did you get multiple copies of GTA III and SA? Both are in my list of games and when choosing what to install after I registered them it even wanted to install each one twice.[/QUOTE]
It's a very messy way of giving you Steamplay, one is PC and one is Mac. Whichever one you can't install. and it will tell you when you try to, I recommend putting in a category that you can ignore.

[quote name='tham1988']I can't believe mass effect 1 isn't on sale too (or the 1 and 2 pack)
cheap bastards[/QUOTE]

Have to make some extra money after the server went down LOL

[quote name='tham1988']I can't believe mass effect 1 isn't on sale too (or the 1 and 2 pack)
cheap bastards[/QUOTE]

They did have the bundle on sale previously (12/24). And going by how this sale rolls along, it'll probably be back again.

[quote name='gilby']I used a gta san andreas specific controller app to get fully customized controlls. I have a link around somewhere and will post it later.[/QUOTE]

That link would be much appreciated. What about the earlier games will it work for them too?

[quote name='mnuttster']Does anyone think that Towns is gonna go any lower than 20% off?

I want to pick it up but not at $12...[/QUOTE]

it only has gone lower about 2-3 times so far this winter sale

Very curious... I bought GTA:SA about a year ago from Steam directly. I've played it on my PC before but recently uninstalled it. Now I'm thinking of installing it again and it says "not available". I read other people saying that this is because it is the Mac version, but I bought the PC version and have played it on my PC, but it still says this. Any ideas?

edit: Wow, nevermind. I just relaunched Steam this morning and now have both versions of San Andreas.

[quote name='mnuttster']Does anyone think that Towns is gonna go any lower than 20% off?

Towns is still a buggy, messy alpha which barely works. I would wait until they put the game on beta or something.

It won a community vote and I think it might have been a flash sale too.

Do you happen to post on the OOTP forums?

This is the first Steam Sale ever that I've been stingy and have avoided splurging. Only bought Batman: AC GOTY for $7.49 and PAYDAY Wolfpack DLC for $2.49. :D

I have to admit that I did buy the latest Humble Bundle 7 for $6.50 and received a boat-load of awesome games . Which BTW, if you bought the HB7, they recently added 3 games to it (Cave Story+, Offspring FLing, and The Basement Collection).

And while checking my Humble Bundle account, I never realized that Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War was added to the last bundle towards the end...so I activated that on Steam too.

[quote name='walkonshadows']Why isn't Worms Armageddon in the Steam Store, I mean it's there but not purchasable?[/QUOTE]

I think when Revolution came out (or maybe during pre-order) you got Armageddon free. Beyond that I have wondered why it can't be bought separate as well.

[quote name='Terlan']It won a community vote and I think it might have been a flash sale too.[/QUOTE]

IIRC - Towns was 50% off in a Community Vote, few days ago.
Anyone wanna help me out on that one?

Haven't caught up to see if this was mentioned yet, but the Sins sale includes Trinity though the click-through just takes you to Rebellion. Just a few hours left.

[quote name='BernardoOne']Towns is still a buggy, messy alpha which barely works. I would wait until they put the game on beta or something.[/QUOTE]

This. The game is somewhat of a mess and updates thus far haven't been frequent or helped much.

I got it in the Indie Royale alpha fund bundle for about a dollar if you factor the per game cost and it's worth about that much.

I'd wait.

[quote name='MC Kage']Is the Korea DLC worth getting too? Just got Civ5 GOTY for $5.[/QUOTE]

I like Korea. I think it's one if the better civs to play imho, at least pre G&K anyhow.

Wonders are nice to have too so if you get Korea you might as well get it in the dual pack w Wonders.

I wouldn't buy it unless you can get it 75% off though.

[quote name='Motoki']I like Korea. I think it's one if the better civs to play imho, at least pre G&K anyhow.

Wonders are nice to have too so if you get Korea you might as well get it in the dual pack w Wonders.

I wouldn't buy it unless you can get it 75% off though.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree with the complainers on too much DLC left off the GOTY edition then lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back