The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Idiotekque']Everyone stop talking about TOR. >.>

I don't need a 5th MMO installed on my computer...[/QUOTE]

Yes you do.

And it's free. Free!

Well they nickel and dime your ass and try to upsell you useless crap, but it's still Free!

[quote name='Motoki']Yes you do.

And it's free. Free!

Well they nickel and dime your ass and try to upsell you useless crap, but it's still Free![/QUOTE]

F2P w/ optional micro-transactions galore, yes?

[quote name='soulkyo']Hi guys. If I ever buy the Doom BFG Edition it's useless to buy the doom classic complete pack? Happy New Year CAGs![/QUOTE]

Hmm, the BFG Edition says it includes "the original DOOM and DOOM II games".

It doesn't mention anything about Ultimate Doom (an expanded version of original Doom) Final Doom or Master Levels for Doom II.

Does anyone know what it actually comes with?

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Hmm, the BFG Edition says it includes "the original DOOM and DOOM II games".

It doesn't mention anything about Ultimate Doom (an expanded version of original Doom) Final Doom or Master Levels for Doom II.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah those were my exact thoughts. I think I might grab the classic pack and wait for the BFG to hit the 75% off.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Everyone stop talking about TOR. >.>

I don't need a 5th MMO installed on my computer...[/QUOTE]

Need is irrevelant! I don't 'need' so many games on my Steam account, but I get them anyway BECAUSE I CAN...:cool:

[quote name='voken']Need is irrevelant! I don't 'need' so many games on my Steam account, but I get them anyway BECAUSE I CAN...:cool:[/QUOTE]
Eh, looks like it isn't on Steam, so I'm not quite as tempted. ;)

[quote name='MysterD']F2P w/ optional micro-transactions galore, yes?[/QUOTE]

The multiplayer sections(called flashpoints) which are all loaded with high end loot either are very limited in the free version of the game. you have to pay for them with credits(they gave me a few in an email) but the idea of only being able to do a flashpoint a limited number of times without having to pay real money was really annoying. if they ever make it so you can just buy your way into a flashpoint with in game gold, that would be better i think.

[quote name='u.v.bunny']Hmm, the BFG Edition says it includes "the original DOOM and DOOM II games".

[/QUOTE]

The Doom I it comes with has Thy Flesh Consumed in it so I guess it's Ultimate Doom.

Let me check on Doom II.

*Edit: Doom II has the No Rest for the Living expansion but Final Doom and the Master Levels are not included.

I haven't followed Doom so it's really confusing to me what version is what and I'm having to wiki it.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Does Doom 3 BFG come with Doom Rails? kthx :)[/QUOTE]

Sadly, no but FOR 74 CENTS YOU TOO CAN OWN DOOM RAILS BUT ONLY FOR A LIMITED TIME!

[quote name='Idiotekque']Eh, looks like it isn't on Steam, so I'm not quite as tempted. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well you can make a shortc... :whistle2:#

Actually, in all seriousness, making a shortcut for it doesn't work right unless you jump through a bunch of hoops. Otherwise it doesn't normally show you are playing it when you are.

People complained to EA about it but you can imagine that getting a Steam shortcut to function properly on a game they don't even want on there in the first place is not their highest priority.

[/QUOTE]
Don't know - b/c I do NOT own D3: BFG PC.

Though, this might be worth noting:
Doom 3 BFG Edition PC does NOT contain Multiplayer for that game's versions of Doom 1 + 2.

You might need a source port of some kind, to get some MP going on the versions of Doom 1+2 that's included w/ D3: BFG.

[quote name='walkonshadows']awesome work, but who's the Klingon in your avatar?[/QUOTE]

LOL he's not a Klingon, it's Ronin Dex from Stargate Atlantis! (best show ever)

[quote name='walkonshadows']awesome work, but who's the Klingon in your avatar?[/QUOTE]

I've been afraid to ask that very same question just in case it's him and I'd be insulting him.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes you do.
And it's free. Free!
Well they nickel and dime your ass and try to upsell you useless crap, but it's still Free![/QUOTE]

That reminds me, I need to download and install it on my MMO partition (since MMO update so much and cause a lot of fragmentation). Hi, I'm asheskitty, and I raided Naxxramas in Classic WoW. I try to avoid MMOs these days. But I wanted to try the leveling experience in SW TOR.

[quote name='dracula']The multiplayer sections(called flashpoints) which are all loaded with high end loot either are very limited in the free version of the game. you have to pay for them with credits(they gave me a few in an email) but the idea of only being able to do a flashpoint a limited number of times without having to pay real money was really annoying. if they ever make it so you can just buy your way into a flashpoint with in game gold, that would be better i think.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I wasn't sure quite how they implemented the F2P move.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Does Doom 3 BFG come with Doom Rails? kthx :)[/QUOTE]

You're not 1337 enough for Doom Rails. ^_~

[quote name='jshackles']LOL he's not a Klingon, it's Ronin Dex from Stargate Atlantis! (best show ever)[/QUOTE]

AKA The dude from Game of Thrones and that really crappy Conan remake, but we're all still trying to forget that last one.

Pshh.. :roll:

I really wish Stargate Atlantis lasted longer than it did.

[quote name='asheskitty']
You're not 1337 enough for Doom Rails. ^_~[/QUOTE]
Is Doom Rails a game that is "on rails" and has "Kinect support"?
:whistle2: X

Is there anyone else who has Giana Sisters, and can only take it a couple of levels at a time? This has been happening to me as I play through the game because I find that the levels can leave my pulse racing afterwards (in a good way though!). Just finished a level where I was cussing up a storm as I couldn't believe how well I was pulling off the platforming and enemy evading for it being my first time playing that level. It almost makes me wish I had been recording that session so I could upload it on YouTube or Vimeo and let people laugh at my anxiety and "I can't believe I just did that!" moments. I managed to only die 4 times too!

[quote name='jshackles']For Chrome users:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/enhanced-steam/okadibdjfemgnhjiembecghcbfknbfhg?hl=en&gl=US

I'll be updating this extension (hopefully) somewhat regularly with new feature suggestions. :)[/QUOTE]
Just tried it out, very cool! Any way for it to work in the client?

I have noticed that it doesn't work for all the games I have though. For example, I just opened up the THQ bundle to see, and it only lists Titan Quest, Metro 2033, and Supreme Commander as being owned (green), while other games like SR2/3, Company of Heroes, etc, aren't lit up.

Keep up the good work, in any case. :D

[quote name='Drizzt']Is there anyone else who has Giana Sisters, and can only take it a couple of levels at a time? This has been happening to me as I play through the game because I find that the levels can leave my pulse racing afterwards (in a good way though!). Just finished a level where I was cussing up a storm as I couldn't believe how well I was pulling off the platforming and enemy evading for it being my first time playing that level. It almost makes me wish I had been recording that session so I could upload it on YouTube or Vimeo and let people laugh at my anxiety and "I can't believe I just did that!" moments. I managed to only die 4 times too![/QUOTE]

I been usually taking it in small bites a level or two here and there at a time too. It starts out really easy but man it can get difficult later on. :twoguns:

I still enjoy it but I think I can only die so many times in one sitting. :lol:

[quote name='Idiotekque']Just tried it out, very cool! Any way for it to work in the client?

I have noticed that it doesn't work for all the games I have though. For example, I just opened up the THQ bundle to see, and it only lists Titan Quest, Metro 2033, and Supreme Commander as being owned (green), while other games like SR2/3, Company of Heroes, etc, aren't lit up.

Keep up the good work, in any case. :D[/QUOTE]

Basically when it loads the page, it spawns a lot of GET requests into each game's page to see if you own it. Sometimes this process times out, and sometimes the process encounters an error (maybe age verification). Either way, I'm working on it and I'll keep you all posted! :D

Oh and I'll double check for the client. If they're using something like an IE wrapper for the Steam store (possibility) then it's probably never going to be possible, sadly. If they're using your configured default browser though, and your default browser is Chrome, and you restart Steam, it should work... OFF TO TEST!

EDIT: Looks like the Steam client uses their own thing... probably not going to work in the client itself unfortunately.

[quote name='Motoki']I been usually taking it in small bites a level or two here and there at a time too. It starts out really easy but man it can get difficult later on. :twoguns:

I still enjoy it but I think I can only die so many times in one sitting. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm at the end of the second world now. I decided to stop there because those boss levels can be quite the endurance round in just getting to the boss based on my experience with the first world, and THEN you get to try to beat the boss. This is going to be a game that I'll have to play when I feel I have enough time to complete at least the current level that I'm on since it doesn't allow mid level continues between play sessions. I love it though! It's really bringing back all those good memories of successfully playing a challenging platformer! :)

I played 15 minutes of The Secret World tonight.

I swallowed a bug, got head while a tattooed bloke in a nappy watched*, and shot loads of people in a subway with a shotgun.

Fun!

* - it wasn't the guy from Wayne's World 2

[quote name='Flowette']I played 15 minutes of The Secret World tonight.

I swallowed a bug, got head while a tattooed bloke in a nappy watched*, and shot loads of people in a subway with a shotgun.

Fun!

* - it wasn't the guy from Wayne's World 2[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great game.

[quote name='Flowette']I played 15 minutes of The Secret World tonight.

Fun!

* - it wasn't the guy from Wayne's World 2[/QUOTE]
My Dragon is female and I got the same treatment. ;)

[quote name='The End']I've been afraid to ask that very same question just in case it's him and I'd be insulting him.[/QUOTE]

You don't want to insult Drogo:

drogo-throat1.gif

[/QUOTE]

I have Doom 3 BFG from the beth apack and I don't see Doom in my library.

I was going to laugh at you, but I thought it was Tyr (the Nietzschean) from Anrodmeda.

[quote name='asheskitty']I have Doom 3 BFG from the beth apack and I don't see Doom in my library.
[/QUOTE]

It's not a separate entry in your Steam list but when you launch Doom 3 BFG you get to choose to pay either Doom, Doom II or Doom III from a menu.

[quote name='asheskitty']
I was going to laugh at you, but I thought it was Tyr (the Nietzschean) from Andromeda.[/QUOTE]

I loved that show and wished it lasted longer than it did. Though some of the story got a little convoluted near the end, but I guess that happens a lot with shows that end prematurely.

[quote name='Idiotekque']Every time I see Doom BFG I think Doom Big fucking Deal.[/QUOTE]

???

I'm not sure what I think, but it's not that. :lol:

Hmm... Hero Academy isn't on my wishlist, but I had looked at it before. At that price, it's seriously itching my impulsiveness.

Anyone know if it has single-player? I might get a copy for myself and a friend, but I'm not sure I want to get a game that's entirely reliant on a multiplayer community which might not be there in a couple months.

[quote name='Cantatus']
Anyone know if it has single-player? I might get a copy for myself and a friend, but I'm not sure I want to get a game that's entirely reliant on a multiplayer community which might not be there in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

Also wondering this.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they had a publisher pack for Kalypso in past sales? I've been making a list of the games that I want to pick up on the final day and there are several Kaltypso games that I'd want. So it just occurred to me that it might actually be better to just buy the whole pack because I only own one Kalypso game.

Seemed like a smashing good idea until I discovered that there is no Kalypso pack for sale.

[quote name='The End']Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they had a publisher pack for Kalypso in past sales? I've been making a list of the games that I want to pick up on the final day and there are several Kaltypso games that I'd want. So it just occurred to me that it might actually be better to just buy the whole pack because I only own one Kalypso game.

Seemed like a smashing good idea until I discovered that there is no Kalypso pack for sale.[/QUOTE]

Yes they did and I bought it. I got mine in September August of 2011 I believe, which was the Kalypso anniversary sale.

It was a comprehensive (at the time) publisher pack too and none of this Best of crap.

However given the current pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't ever see the full comprehensive publisher packs again in most cases. All of the big ones from 2011 when they came back in the 2012 sales were not comprehensive. And I don't think they have even offered the 1C Complete pack since the winter 2011 sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Cantatus']Hmm... Hero Academy isn't on my wishlist, but I had looked at it before. At that price, it's seriously itching my impulsiveness.

Anyone know if it has single-player? I might get a copy for myself and a friend, but I'm not sure I want to get a game that's entirely reliant on a multiplayer community which might not be there in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jshackles']Also wondering this.[/QUOTE]

"Hero Academy lets two player-controlled teams battle it out on a game board in turn-based combat. After selecting which team you want to play (currently there are Orcs, Humans, Dark Elves, Dwarves and the Team Fortress 2 soldiers), you then deploy them onto a random level. "
"Hero Academy has a lot of resources available to teach new players. You can start with the in-game tutorial levels and then move onto the in-game guide. If that’s still not enough, or if you’re just looking for a change of pace, you can play Challenge levels for each team you own. The Challenge levels aren’t only great little tweaks on the gameplay that feel similar to a puzzle game but they also teach you the intricacies and capabilities of individual units by letting you see them in action."

"Because Hero Academy is asynchronous you’re encouraged to have a large number of games going at any time. Quickly knock out all your turns, start up a few new games, and then return later when you’re friends or random opponents have taken their actions. If they still haven’t, you can quickly start up some new games. There’s basically never a reason to not be playing against someone, and you’re never pressured to take a turn. You do things at your own pace."

It would seem it is mostly a 2P game with some built in SP stuff for teaching mostly. No real "campaign" it would seem.

I will pass for now. Sounds like I would prefer this on my iPhone anyway.

[quote name='Showstoppa42']That was the Monkey Island: Special Edition Bundle, by LucasArts.

The Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack, by Telltale Games, currently 50% off at $17.49, hasn't been featured in the current sale yet.[/QUOTE]

Tales was $8.74 (-75%) at the same time Monkey Island classic was. I'm not sure why Tales was ever $4.99, I doubt we'll see that again.

[quote name='Motoki']Yes they did and I bought it. I got mine in September August of 2011 I believe, which was the Kalypso anniversary sale.

It was a comprehensive (at the time) publisher pack too and none of this Best of crap.

However given the current pattern, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't ever see the full comprehensive publisher packs again in most cases. All of the big ones from 2011 when they came back in the 2012 sales were not comprehensive. And I don't think they have even offered the 1C Complete pack since the winter 2011 sale.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I thought I remembered seeing it in the past.

You're probably right about the complete packs being a thing of the past. Still, I don't really need any of those games right now and I don't think of Kalypso as being a flight risk from the steam store, so I think I'm gonna hold off for now in the hopes that they offer a non-neutered pack sometime down the line.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone think there's a chance the base price of M&B: Warband will drop in the next 6 to 12 months? I want to pick it up but I won't get to it for a while. I'm tempted to buy it but better judgement says I should wait it out.

[quote name='jshackles']On the subject, does anyone know if the Strategy First pack is complete? It's a heck of a lot of bundle-fodder for $30. I'm just wanting it for Bad Rats.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/15326/[/QUOTE]

I believe that one actually is still comprehensive and I think a couple of others like Mumbo Jumbo may be as well.

I'm pondering that Strategy First pack too but thanks to your little script I'm seeing an awful lot of green in that pack. Hmm...

There goes our chance are super duper cheap Freedom Force.

I really hope it is just Thief Gold and not the pack or any of the other games that go on sale lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back