The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
No, aside from flukes like last year's Amazon coupon stuff. 75 percent off is the threshold for most games unless the publisher likes to bundle stuff, which CD Projekt hasn't shown any affinity for.

[quote name='derkduck']Thinking about picking up Rage for $4.99 worth it?[/QUOTE]
i think it would be better to get the physical copy for a console version for the same price instead. i dont think the 25gb install is worth it

[quote name='lwhitit']Does Witcher 1 ever go lower then $2.50? I wont get to it until i beat a few games but it has been on my list.[/QUOTE]
i got it for free when i bought just cause 2 for 2.50 in january of last year with the 5 dollar coupon

[quote name='carl7117']i think it would be better to get the physical copy for a console version for the same price instead. i dont think the 25gb install is worth it[/QUOTE]

All though there is some tweaking involved (unless the new DLC has fixed it) but the PC version can look amazing in term of its graphics compared to its console counter parts.

I'm thinking I might get that first transformers game today, since it had very nice reviews and I missed it last time.

Also pondering TSW, MP3, and hotline miami with amazon ec coupons....

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I heard that there were some problems with Darksiders II DLC causing the game to glitch. I picked up the complete pack from Amazon -- should I wait to redeem DSII DLC?

[quote name='sunasun']Too bad Steam removed my coupon for death rally :cry:[/QUOTE]
Mine was taken away, but now it's back, and better than ever!

90% off on the title Death Rally.
Can't be applied with other discounts.

(Valid November 30th, 2012 through January 31st, 2013)

[quote name='plft']Blur was also pulled from steam, wondering what Activision is doing.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like they're doing an EA. :whistle2:#

[quote name='Motoki']And a Girly Mahn.

Doooo Eeeet! Doooo Eeeet![/QUOTE] :cry:

[quote name='Woodlands']So, I heard that there were some problems with Darksiders II DLC causing the game to glitch. I picked up the complete pack from Amazon -- should I wait to redeem DSII DLC?[/QUOTE]

Two of the DLC's crash very often for a lot of people. But since you have to select and play the DLC's seperately from the main game, those crashes shouldn't happen to you when only playing the main game.

[quote name='Jon7']Two of the DLC's crash very often for a lot of people. But since you have to select and play the DLC's seperately from the main game, those crashes shouldn't happen to you when only playing the main game.[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know which DLC causes it to crash?

So is it too early to start discussing the lesser known hidden gems out there on sale right now?

The ones not listed on the front page?

[quote name='jkimrey']So is it too early to start discussing the lesser known hidden gems out there on sale right now?

The ones not listed on the front page?[/QUOTE]

Steam is having a sale? I want proof! ;)

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Do you happen to know which DLC causes it to crash?[/QUOTE]

The Abyssal Forge and Demon Lord Belial are the problem ones.

Abyssal Forge crashed about 10 times for me by the time I beat it, but it's so bad in Demon Lord that I couldn't even get out of the first room.
Hopefully they patch a fix for it soon.

[quote name='Jon7']Two of the DLC's crash very often for a lot of people. But since you have to select and play the DLC's separately from the main game, those crashes shouldn't happen to you when only playing the main game.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! If it doesn't hurt the main game I'll go ahead and redeem them then.

A quick aside: Abyssal Forge was included in the DLC Season pass *and* shows up in my inventory. Amazon goofed and this is a duplicate of the same material, right?

[quote name='Frithsblessing']Do you happen to know which DLC causes it to crash?[/QUOTE]

Abyssal Forge ad Lord Demon Belial.

[quote name='carl7117']i think it would be better to get the physical copy for a console version for the same price instead. i dont think the 25gb install is worth it[/QUOTE]

The install size doesn't bother me. I have plenty of space. I just wanted to know whether the game was worth it for the price. Been watching some reviews and it seems like it would be a good buy at 5 bucks

[quote name='soulkyo']Nooo, I missed Doom Rails :(. Now I don't own Coconut Queen, Mission Runway and that one. My wishlist is growing.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Motoki, that was a pleasant surprise :D

[quote name='soulkyo']Thanks Motoki, that was a pleasant surprise :D[/QUOTE]

Some part of me is curious about how many copies he purchased. Another part of me is a little afraid to find out the answer.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Some part of me is curious about how many copies he purchased. Another part of me is a little afraid to find out the answer.[/QUOTE]

20. I tried hard to upsell it at 74 cents but I knew there would be some hardass cheapasses. :mrgreen:

[quote name='dfg']Also, happy birthday to I'm guessing 98% of age-verification system users![/QUOTE]

Hahaha. Best comment I've seen this week. :applause:

[quote name='soulkyo']Nooo, I missed Doom Rails :(. Now I don't own Coconut Queen, Mission Runway and that one. My wishlist is growing.[/QUOTE]

Oh no! I forgot too. I was going to buy a couple to give to unsuspecting suckers... errr I mean I was going to generously give them away.

[quote name='jkimrey']Wait... There's TWO Book of Unwritten Tales now?

Has the new one seen any significant discount?

Still gotta finish the first![/QUOTE]

AFAIK I think the lowest I have seen is 50% around $10 so no not really but it's still really new so give it time.

[quote name='jkimrey']So has anyone hit the 15 votes achievement yet?

I came into the sale late, so not sure I'm going to make it to 15....[/QUOTE]

You don't have to achieve all the conditions to get the badge (note the unlock date/time):

steam.jpg

Ah, very nice. Didn't notice that. Thanks.

[quote name='walkonshadows']You don't have to achieve all the conditions to get the badge (note the unlock date/time):[/QUOTE]

[quote name='EliotAndrews']Did you discover this when you purchased Doom Rails, by any chance?[/QUOTE]

lol no I actually bought a $0.37 DLC, added it to my inventory, got the achievement, then added it to my library. The badge this time around was way lame I got it in about 2 minutes after the sale started. :bouncy:

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I actually have a question, in that regard - If I were to buy a game as a gift, would that activate both purchasing-related Achievements?[/QUOTE]

I can confirm this works I did this. I have only bought 1 game from the steam sale bought it as a gift ended up adding it to my library afterwards.

[quote name='CAGkrazy']... but the price of $7 seems like still high![/QUOTE]

Correct. I've had it on my wishlist for a while, but won't even think about it until

I bought some people some cheap stuff off their wishlists and between the double hit for "Buy an item on Sale" and "Gift an item" and the easy "10 item wishlist" and "Use mobile client" things, I had the badge on Day One. You only need 4/6 to get it and there's no bonus for hitting all six.

Just the warm feeling you get for voting for the games that are in the currently-available HIB and then watching CAGs carp about it...

[quote name='Syntax Error']I bought some people some cheap stuff off their wishlists and between the double hit for "Buy an item on Sale" and "Gift an item" and the easy "10 item wishlist" and "Use mobile client" things, I had the badge on Day One. You only need 4/6 to get it and there's no bonus for hitting all six.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it was so easy, I got 6/6 without even realizing it. I seriously don't know what the objectives were, outside of the obvious voting for community choice.

[quote name='Arben']Just the warm feeling you get for voting for the games that are in the currently-available HIB and then watching CAGs carp about it...[/QUOTE]
The last few days I've been casting my votes completely for laughs. That's what made it great when DOTA won.

"50% off Metro 2033? Oh, hell yeah!!"

Can someone tell me why Steam is saying 50% off TL2 but when I look it's $9.99? Per the Steam trackers I can find, they sell it regularly at $15 so telling me it's suddenly $20 to say 50% off... seems fishy.

[quote name='Syntax Error']The last few days I've been casting my votes completely for laughs. That's what made it great when DOTA won.

"50% off Metro 2033? Oh, hell yeah!!"[/QUOTE]

metro 2033 is not really something i would have thought would ever be in a humble bundle, i paid $5 for it back in the steam summer sale, and it is totally worth it. if i could have had it for pennies, that would have been better.

[quote name='IkedaTeramusa']Can someone tell me why Steam is saying 50% off TL2 but when I look it's $9.99? Per the Steam trackers I can find, they sell it regularly at $15 so telling me it's suddenly $20 to say 50% off... seems fishy.[/QUOTE]

The MSRP of Torchlight 2 has never dipped below $19.99. So 50% off would be $9.99.

It's TL1 that's $14.99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back