The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='warreni']... as though it were programmed by a rotating team of philosophers...
[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I agree with pretty much all of the praise people are giving here, and the technology is definitely impressive, but sometimes the logic behind the mechanics (and story) is just baffling. And despite all the good, the game to me was an absolute chore to play. I could have watched it as a movie or series, but I hated playing it.

[quote name='warreni']Having said that, I did enjoy the story (although there will be probably more than one time that you'll want to kick the protagonist in the nads).[/QUOTE]

You mean like when he up and out of nowhere
was having an affair?
That really pissed me off. Serious gameplay disconnect when the character you're playing has a life off-screen you don't know about. That, more than anything, made me feel like I didn't need to be there as a player.

[quote name='warreni']I'm probably in the minority (I'm used to it), but I wasn't really blown away by the much-ballyhooed facial animation technology. It didn't really seem to work all that well as described: I accused quite a few folks of lying when they avoided looking at me and they weren't giving me the whole story but the game makes a weird distinction between blatant lying and omitting the truth, as though it were programmed by a rotating team of philosophers. As far as the way it looks, I honestly though the facial animations were just as good or better in the Uncharted games and Heavy Rain.

Having said that, I did enjoy the story (although there will be probably more than one time that you'll want to kick the protagonist in the nads).[/QUOTE]

As a deaf person, I have a tendency to look at people's mouths when they are talking so I can try to lip-read...and I have to tell ya, LA Noire is amazing in that regard. In most video games, the characters' mouths don't really match up with the words they're saying, like, AT ALL. But in LA Noire they definitely did. It was awesome! Idk, I just notice weird things like that, haha.

I also liked LA Noire a lot (enough to 100% it on PS3 and rebuy on Steam) but I do recognize the few problems there were ... sometimes people's reactions were overblown (e.g. the lie vs accuse thing already mentioned) and the open world isn't as open as I'd have liked it to be. But I enjoyed it a ton, and the cases were cool. I love detective stuff, so this game was right up my alley.

Edit:
[quote name='exopuppy']
You mean like when he up and out of nowhere
was having an affair?
That really pissed me off. Serious gameplay disconnect when the character you're playing has a life off-screen you don't know about. That, more than anything, made me feel like I didn't need to be there as a player.[/QUOTE]

I actually forgot about that (played the game last year) and dude, yeah. I was just as surprised and WTF at that. But I guess it was a minor thing for me at the time because I generally loved the game, lol

[quote name='anarchyoblivion']Looks like all James Bond titles have been removed. Boo![/QUOTE]

From what I seen on other message boards, they are also gone from both Amazon and their own online store.

[quote name='zillionandnine']As a deaf person, I have a tendency to look at people's mouths when they are talking so I can try to lip-read...and I have to tell ya, LA Noire is amazing in that regard. In most video games, the characters' mouths don't really match up with the words they're saying, like, AT ALL. But in LA Noire they definitely did. It was awesome! Idk, I just notice weird things like that, haha.

I also liked LA Noire a lot (enough to 100% it on PS3 and rebuy on Steam) but I do recognize the few problems there were ... sometimes people's reactions were overblown (e.g. the lie vs accuse thing already mentioned) and the open world isn't as open as I'd have liked it to be. But I enjoyed it a ton, and the cases were cool. I love detective stuff, so this game was right up my alley.

Edit:

I actually forgot about that (played the game last year) and dude, yeah. I was just as surprised and WTF at that. But I guess it was a minor thing for me at the time because I generally loved the game, lol[/QUOTE]

This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing your insight.

SO after watching gameplay video from Total War Rome 2. I am itching to pick up a Total War game.

Not really sure which one to get. I am leaning towards Shogun 2, be a nice way to bench mark my new system too.

Flash Sales

Spellforce: Complete
Lucius
Payday: The Heist (again!)

Spellforce has a 55% Metacritic rating.
Lucius has a 58% Metacritic rating.

Wow, that's low! Anyone have any experience with either? Must not be good, LoL !

[quote name='Bizzquik']Flash Sales

Lucius

Wow, that's low! Anyone have any experience with either? Must not be good, LoL ![/QUOTE]

The new Spellforce has a low rating, as it is made by different devs. The older titles are far better regarded.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Flash Sales

Lucius

Wow, that's low! Anyone have any experience with either? Must not be good, LoL ![/QUOTE]

Well I have experience buying Spellforce... :lol:

GG has the complete version as Steamworks and it's already been on sale + voucher a couple of times so if you miss it here there's always a chance to get it there someday.

Interestingly, GG has been putting the upcoming episodes on sale even before they've come out. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SF2FIDSB/spellforce-2-faith-in-destiny-scenario-bundle-bundle

And yes, I bought those too. :p

[quote name='Motoki']
In all seriousness though, Puzzle Quest which is part of that bundle is a good game for those that don't already have it.[/QUOTE]

Puzzle Quest is awesome, I've probably logged about 100 hours in it between my Xbox version and PSP version, and I also own it on Steam. Highly recommended!

Wow! That Enhanced Steam is amazing. For the total spent how does it calculate? What we actually paid or the current steam store price? Also does it included the prices of games we activated on steam bought else where such as Amazon.

I picked up Spellforce 1 Complete for $1 in the last month from the IndieGalaStore.

[quote name='jshackles']Updated the Enhanced Steam Chrome plugin again. This time it will highlight all of the DLC in the game page that you own. Just in time for Magicka! Update to version 0.7!

Install Here
vgou5.png
[/QUOTE]

^_^ Just in time for Magicka (it's even worse than CK2 DLCs). Awesome work!

[quote name='zillionandnine']As a deaf person, I have a tendency to look at people's mouths when they are talking so I can try to lip-read...and I have to tell ya, LA Noire is amazing in that regard. In most video games, the characters' mouths don't really match up with the words they're saying, like, AT ALL. But in LA Noire they definitely did. It was awesome! Idk, I just notice weird things like that, haha.

Edit:

I actually forgot about that (played the game last year) and dude, yeah. I was just as surprised and WTF at that. But I guess it was a minor thing for me at the time because I generally loved the game, lol
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for chiming in on that! It's neat to hear that their facial motion capture worked that well. (I'd followed what they were doing more than the actual game.)

[quote name='combatrhombus']Wow! That Enhanced Steam is amazing. For the total spent how does it calculate? What we actually paid or the current steam store price? Also does it included the prices of games we activated on steam bought else where such as Amazon.[/QUOTE]

It's just the games you've purchased from Steam, and just the price you paid when you paid. It's possible to calculate your "current value", but that would take the script a LONG time to go to each page, find the current price, and total it.

[quote name='jshackles']Good point on the light blue. I guess keeping with Steam's color theme, the "user in game" color from the client would probably work best. Of course, if I were to implement an options page, you could change this to whatever color you wanted to.[/QUOTE]
I am partial to a light yellow or gold as a choice for items on your wishlist, the color of coins in games, as in "BUY BUY BUY!!!"
[quote name='supershammy']I'm aware there is a thread for Gamestop promotions, but this seems worth mentioning given how many of us have duplicates of the same game on multiple consoles. Gamestop is having a promo in which you get an additionaly $10 credit for every three games traded in worth more than $2 or $2.50 (I forget which), and I traded in 25 games or so that I have duplicates of on Steam or will never play again for a ridiculous $200 Steam credit. This promo expires on the 6th. Hopefully others benefit from this, and now before the Steam winter sale ends is the time to do it![/QUOTE]
It's $2.00, and thanks, I had some games I wanted to get rid of that were rather low in the value department so this looks to be ideal, especially with the +30% to steam wallet promotion.
http://www.gamestop.com/collection/trade-in#

Still not as bad as the SPAZ flash sale; the normal sale price [right now] is $3.40 [66%], flash sale was $2.50 [75%]. 90 cents of savings! :D
IMO, waste of a flash slot

[quote name='asheskitty']
Thanks for chiming in on that! It's neat to hear that their facial motion capture worked that well. (I'd followed what they were doing more than the actual game.)[/QUOTE]

No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

Do let me know if any of you want input on anything though!

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :p

[quote name='zillionandnine']No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :) [/QUOTE]

I'm interested :)

[quote name='sch0oldaze']can anyone comment on payday: the heist the videos look good but just don't know if it's worth it[/QUOTE]
I think it's awesome. I haven't really played anything like it, where you get to pull off a variety of heists like in movies. It's a bit challenging, which is good because it make some of the missions super tense; like you'll be low on ammo and cops are shooting from all directions while you're waiting desperately to get something open, or trying to make an escape. For the record, I've pretty much only played with random people and it's worked out fine.

[quote name='zillionandnine']No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :p[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Carlmundo']I'm interested :)[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely interested as well. ;) I'm sure there would be many of us, since we all probably take audio in games for granted. =P

[quote name='Severose']I'm definitely interested as well. ;) I'm sure there would be many of us, since we all probably take audio in games for granted. =P[/QUOTE]

First thing I do on a game (other than change resolution) is set subtitles to on.

[quote name='Carlmundo']First thing I do on a game (other than change resolution) is set subtitles to on.[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)

[quote name='Trudy']Also interested![/QUOTE]

Me too! I think it's cool to get different perspectives on these things. Also, I can't believe a modern AAA game wouldn't have subtitles... what was Ubisoft thinking?

(Full disclosure: I always turn subtitles on. I'm more of a visual than auditory learner, so I find that I process information better and faster when I read it.)

[quote name='Carlmundo']First thing I do on a game (other than change resolution) is set subtitles to on.[/QUOTE]
I do the same, EXCEPT in certain games where big letters plastered across the screen ruins the mood.

For example, I'd suggest turning subtitles of on Bioshock. When creepy echoey splicer voices are hitting your ears, you're not completely sure where they're coming from, etc, it kills the mood when you see their entire long string of sentences plastered on your screen, before they have even said 90% of their lines.

Okay so in working on the Enhanced Steam extension, I think I've hit a wall on the amount of features I can include while still building those features into a Greasemonkey script. I think for the time being, I'm just going to have to keep updating the Chrome extension solely.

Sorry Greasemonkey / Ninjakit users! :(

[quote name='Carlmundo']I'm interested :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Severose']I'm definitely interested as well. ;) I'm sure there would be many of us, since we all probably take audio in games for granted. =P[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Trudy']Also interested![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)[/QUOTE]

Guess I spoke too soon :p I probably can't commit to a blog, though. I'm too easily distracted, haha.

[quote name='DaiMonPaul']Me too! I think it's cool to get different perspectives on these things. Also, I can't believe a modern AAA game wouldn't have subtitles... what was Ubisoft thinking?

(Full disclosure: I always turn subtitles on. I'm more of a visual than auditory learner, so I find that I process information better and faster when I read it.)[/QUOTE]

I know! I was just as surprised as you. Luckily for me, the gaming industry has gotten to the point where I can kind of take subtitles for granted so I didn't even look into AC before buying it. I just assumed it would have subtitles. A little buyer's remorse there, but ah, what can ya do. I think the later games in the series do have subtitles, though, but I have to double check that.

But yeah, if there's any specifics you guys want me to discuss, or anything like that, let me know! I'll try to answer to the best of my ability.

[quote name='Idiotekque']I do the same, EXCEPT in certain games where big letters plastered across the screen ruins the mood.

For example, I'd suggest turning subtitles of on Bioshock. When creepy echoey splicer voices are hitting your ears, you're not completely sure where they're coming from, etc, it kills the mood when you see their entire long string of sentences plastered on your screen, before they have even said 90% of their lines.[/QUOTE]

That's weird. I haven't played Bioshock in a while, but I don't remember having that issue. I'm tempted to install it again to see, ha. But I do love it when games include subtitles for ambient noises (Valve does this extensively) because that gives me an idea of the atmosphere I'm supposed to ... well, I guess use my imagination for. Since my ears can't help create that atmosphere for me, my mind has to. Same deal with horror flicks, so many of those are based on creepy noises and whatnot. For example, Paranormal Activity... without subtitles on for both dialogue and ambient noise, I'd be missing a lot.

wait wait wait
i just got out of work and there are games i want on sale?

sniper elite franchise
painkiller hell and damnation (or collection)
tomb raider series
the longest journey and dreamfall

what should i get?

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']What's the CAG opinion of Painkiller?[/QUOTE]

I've played some of Painkiller: Black and it's a pretty fun and mindless shooter. Nice for when I just feel like shooting hundreds of enemies on the screen all at once. Pretty fast paced too, so it's a pretty good adrenaline rush most of the time. The bosses usually add a strategic element, so it's not completely faceroll easy. Only problem is that I tend to only play one level at a time since it doesn't offer much else in the way of things to do.

[quote name='Drizzt']I've played some of Painkiller: Black and it's a pretty fun and mindless shooter. Nice for when I just feel like shooting hundreds of enemies on the screen all at once. Pretty fast paced too, so it's a pretty good adrenaline rush most of the time. The bosses usually add a strategic element, so it's not completely faceroll easy. Only problem is that I tend to only play one level at a time since it doesn't offer much else in the way of things to do.[/QUOTE]

Like Left for Dead?

[quote name='zillionandnine']That's weird. I haven't played Bioshock in a while, but I don't remember having that issue. I'm tempted to install it again to see, ha. But I do love it when games include subtitles for ambient noises (Valve does this extensively) because that gives me an idea of the atmosphere I'm supposed to ... well, I guess use my imagination for. Since my ears can't help create that atmosphere for me, my mind has to. Same deal with horror flicks, so many of those are based on creepy noises and whatnot. For example, Paranormal Activity... without subtitles on for both dialogue and ambient noise, I'd be missing a lot.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I know what you mean. Playing Portal 2 with full captioning includes a crazy amount of detail. I can imagine that would be a really nice feature for deaf people.

The thing is, I had subtitles turned on in Bioshock (since I always have subtitles turned on). But at the part (minor spoilers ahead)
where there was a splicer female cooing and crying and generally rambling insanely to her "baby" in a stroller
, I realized that subtitles weren't the way to go in this game. Why? Because the splicer's long, rambling lines were immediately laid out in subtitles. When the splicer was speaking in slow, broken, crazy sentences, the subtitles had the entire 3-4 sentence phrase all typed out on the screen as soon as the splicer spoke her first word.

All in all, I guess it just ruined the mood for me. Didn't seem creepy at all, and it didn't make me listen, which I'd imagine a creepy, ambient game like Bioshock wants you to do. If you're deaf though, I guess there's not much way around that though, since you couldn't see the splicers lips moving or anything of the sort (she was rather far away, around a corner). Bioshock has a habit of making splicer talk audible from a REALLY long way away, so it's rather creepy when you have no idea how close or far you are. I'm not sure how that translates into subtitles though.

[quote name='tham1988']wait wait wait
i just got out of work and there are games i want on sale?

sniper elite franchise
painkiller hell and damnation (or collection)
tomb raider series
the longest journey and dreamfall

what should i get?[/QUOTE]

The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.

[quote name='sunghost']The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.[/QUOTE]

thank you
i think that is what i decided
forgot about mass effect collection though
might have to get that too
doubt the steam version will ever be less than $10 for both

[quote name='aShufflinZombie']Like Left for Dead?[/QUOTE]

Painkiller: Black is best compared to say them old-school shooters.

Think like say Serious Sam games and many of the older type of shooters w/ tossing tons of enemies at you at an insanely fast-pace; and you have huge bosses to battle.

I was very much enjoying Sniper Elite V2 until I changed my video cards. With my AMD 7xxx series card the game goes into a hard lock at random necessitating hitting the power button to restart it. Looking around on the web, I'm not unique in this and no one has offered any good ideas on how to prevent it.

Was fun on my 9800 GTX+ though while it lasted.

[quote name='zillionandnine']No problem. I'm always willing to talk about games from a deaf player's perspective but I get the feeling that probably not too many people here are too interested in that :)

In that vein, I'm annoyed that Assassin's Creed doesn't have subtitles. It just got pushed further back down my backlog because of that :p[/QUOTE]

Which AC? I think I played AC2 with Itallian language (and English subtitles), so my fuzzy recollection says that at least for the cutscenes there should be subtitles. I have AC1, 2, B, & R installed (and completed the latter three), I'd be happy to check.

[quote name='Motoki']Yeah me too. I always play with the subs on. Sometimes their are funky accents or whatever or I just don't catch what someone is saying and even beyond that I like like having the subs up there to read.

And yes also interested in a deaf player's perspective on games here too. I actually think a blog about it would be a good idea. I'd read it. :)[/QUOTE]

I usually turn them on, for odd accents, and audio interruptions (phone rings, fleshbag starts talking to me, power tools, howling from the basement).

I always turn on subtitles now that I have a child. Since all toys seem to have some sort of annoying audio I can never hear the tv without pumping up the volume to room rumbling levels. Of course that doesn't sit well with my wife and probably isn't good for my son's delicate ears. Couple that with whisper quiet levels I have to play games at when he is sleeping and subtitleses are a must.

I know Assassin's Creed 3 had subtitles, but I played all the rest before my son was born, so I can't speak to those.

Another issue I sometimes have is inadequate brightness adjusters in game to lighten things up when playing on my tv. I hate changing the brightness on the tv back and forth, but some games force it. The Walking Dead was pretty bad. The scale from 1-10 provided little difference and some dark areas I could literally see nothing.

Ps: by "literally" I mean literally, not figuratively like all the dumb kids use it now.

[quote name='sunghost']The Tomb Raider pack and The Longest Journey/Dreamfall packs are very good deals, I'd skip painkiller, and not sure about sniper elite.[/QUOTE]

That Tomb Raider pack is a good deal for someone who doesn't have any of the TR games but as someone who has been around a bit and got the newer games when that was all that was on Steam I'm a little irked that buying all the newly released classic TR games costs just as much as getting the pack with all of them including the 3 I already own.

Not like I'll probably ever play 1990s DOS Tomb Raiders but still! :p

[quote name='Preedatore']
Ps: by "literally" I mean literally, not figuratively like all the dumb kids use it now.[/QUOTE]

That must be the Gamersgate definite of literally.

Well when we said literally, we didn't literally mean literally...

Guess I'm in the minority? I almost always choose to play with subs off. My ADD and mild dyslexia make it hard for me to read at a normal game's pace. Luckily I have fairly good hearing which is surprising given the volume levels I used to (and still kinda) listen to music at.

[quote name='asheskitty']Which AC? I think I played AC2 with Itallian language (and English subtitles), so my fuzzy recollection says that at least for the cutscenes there should be subtitles. I have AC1, 2, B, & R installed (and completed the latter three), I'd be happy to check.
[/QUOTE]

The first one! Although I guess I shouldn't be too bothered since it seems most people think it's ok to skip right to 2. *shrug*

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back